MrJazz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MrJazz
Robearlbms wrote:I don't really need this. But I might in the future. But I don't need it now. But I will probably need it, and think of the savings, but is it in the budget, will things change, and if so how, and ..etc, etc...AAHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Like.

jorgito

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jorgito
ggrote wrote:Nope ... you have to upgrade to Millenium first ...

You mean downgrade.

trippa

quality posts: 1 Private Messages trippa
LUaDaK wrote:I would love to use this to connect my DirectTV DVR's to the internet. Without an internet connection they cannot provide on demand programming, nor can I program them to record a show from my smart phone. I just doubt that this is the answer... Can anyone shed some light on this?

...Will this work with DirectTV DVRs?

Ditto.

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
wickedlees wrote:As someone who just logs on everyday, this is just way to convoluted to even figure out what the heck this device is. While i appreciate the "cute" what the heck is this thing? I lost interest after the first paragraph of "cute" can we just have the straight skinny at some point? Really?

It's a wireless antenna for a computer that doesn't have built-in wireless.

I'm just hanging out, really.

workinpoor

quality posts: 15 Private Messages workinpoor
agentmathis5 wrote:Did anyone else on first sight of the picture without reading the product description think Woot was taking a turn for the naughty side...

ThorsHammer wrote:Looks like something my ex wife kept in her night stand

I'll add some validation to these comments with a third--I, too, found the corners of my mouth curling when I first saw this device--after all, it says say "valet" right on it, conjuring notions of, shall we say, "personalized service."

. . . and to ThorsHammer, no offense, but your comment nicely arouses and explains the mystery behind your wife's "ex" status! :-)

tilton

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tilton
xavoc wrote:It is B/G compatible, but if you're having a coverage issue you would actually be better off upgrading to N, as that gives you generally greater range.

Thanks! I purchased 3. Now I will look for a deal on a wireless n router in the future.

30 woots and counting

eurolights

quality posts: 0 Private Messages eurolights

Hmm...your router supports 300mbps...what kind of transfer rates are you seeing now on that laptop? I'm guessing well under 150?

Kind of a toss up since you are already running "N" capable stuff. Might be worth a shot if you are willing to use the supplied cable extension and move the dongle around to try and optimize your signal. (I had very good luck with a cable extension on my current 150mbps dongle)

Sorry I can't give you anything more concrete. I have been through 3 different brands/models of these dongles and I have been getting a better and more solid signal with each one...Hoping this one finally gets me over 150mbps.

modelerr wrote:Thanks for your reply. I have a Dlink DIR655 router (802.11n wireless card-150mps.)

jorgito

A lot of people have been asking if they can use these to connect various devices to their network. If the device you are trying to connect has an ethernet port, you may try one of these powerline adapters instead:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100008201%204016&IsNodeId=1&name=Recertified
One of them even has a built in 4 port switch. I have only tried it with a computer (and it worked great) but is should work fine with any device. The outlet must be grounded or it will not work.

Hopefully this is a quality post.

eurolights

quality posts: 0 Private Messages eurolights

Honestly I doubt it...in my experience all these dongles are very similar when it comes to range. When you need just a couple feet more you can squeeze a little more with a better dongle but not much more that a few feet.

Don't get me wrong, in a home wireless network a 5 foot increase in range can make a HUGE difference BUt when you are trying to sniff around for a signal that is further away you will at least want a dongle with external antenna (if not an antenna on the exterior of your home). Try TPlink or Alfa brands they have usb dongles with external antennas and they have MUCH better range for what you are trying to do...but even those won't make miracles happen the source still has to be pretty close.

signupspers1 wrote:Eurolights and others,
I have a somewhat related situation. I have a laptop with built-in Broadcom b/g wireless. I normally use the laptop direct-wired w/o router, but have used wireless when traveling. I may have to cancel my broadband service. Do you think this would be more likely to let me access free/nearby/public wireless networks with reasonable performance? Thank you.

jorgito

agentmathis5 wrote:Did anyone else on first sight of the picture without reading the product description think Woot was taking a turn for the naughty side...

And you can plug it into a USB port! The possibilities are endless!

supakila

quality posts: 0 Private Messages supakila

I'm looking to upgrade to wireless N soon... now that I have my desktop in the top corner of a house, and the cable modem in the opposite bottom corner, G just isn't cutting it.

Can anyone recommend a good / reasonably priced N router to go along with this?

Maybe this one?:

http://www.amazon.com/Medialink-Wireless-802-11n-Internal-Antenna/dp/B0044YU60M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1318280031&sr=8-1

edit: on second thought, I probably need one that goes up to 300 mbps...

brycechild

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brycechild

I want to hook up my Direct TV to my router. Will this work?

RiDeC

quality posts: 0 Private Messages RiDeC

I often find myself in Hotel rooms with bad signal. I wonder if I would get stronger signal with this than with the built-in WiFi antenna in my Laptop (which I can switch off).

donthaveone

quality posts: 0 Private Messages donthaveone

This thing looks like it should be offered at Dr John's Erotic Emporeum.

"Vibrates when it finds an open WiFi network".

"Oh Cisco! Oh Cisco! Find me a network.... Oh Cisco!"

markur

quality posts: 0 Private Messages markur

so would this work with OS X? I have an older iMac that I want to add wifi to, since the stop Airport Extreme card is hard to find and pricey. For a kid's computer. Only says Windows, but I thought I'd put it out there for anyone to advise? Please email me at (mod: please do not post your email, please use PM)

xavoc

quality posts: 15 Private Messages xavoc
LUaDaK wrote:I would love to use this to connect my DirectTV DVR's to the internet. Without an internet connection they cannot provide on demand programming, nor can I program them to record a show from my smart phone. I just doubt that this is the answer... Can anyone shed some light on this?

...Will this work with DirectTV DVRs?

No. It is not a standalone unit.

xavoc

quality posts: 15 Private Messages xavoc
supakila wrote:Can anyone recommend a good / reasonably priced N router to go along with this?

I've been very impressed with the latest generation Cisco models. Then again I've got the e4200 and it probably cost $120 when I purchased it.

wasserkapf

quality posts: 19 Private Messages wasserkapf
dzlux wrote:Would this be a good candidate for a cantenna?

The usb format, and provided extension cord seems to be ideal, but I can't seem to determine if an external antenna wire can be attached after disassembling the device.

I have a 'similar' one, a Linksys AE1000. It was quite easy to pop open, and there are two small antenna ports on it, one on each side. The same type used to connect the internal laptop antennas.

I took pictures of it:

But, the Valet may not be the same.

wootband1to

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wootband1to

Have this on my desktop computer and it works great! Payed at least $40 for it at Best Buy. Being able to move it around on the extension pedestal that comes with it assures I always have a great signal.

EricS

quality posts: 0 Private Messages EricS

Does anyone know if this will work with a TiVo Premier?

vic65

quality posts: 2 Private Messages vic65
eiigypocroff wrote:I just bought one of these for an older PC. Now make me feel good and someone tell me they already have one and it works great! Please!

I just added one last week to a 2003 Dell PC with windows xp sp3. It took two minutes to install (the software is built into the flash memory on the device) and it connected at 144 Mbps; 40 feet from the wireless router. You'll love it. I paid $20 and it was still worth it.

hff2k5

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hff2k5

Perfect timing thanks Woot!!! My parent's desktop Ethernet port is shot and I just starting looking for an inexpensive solution to get internet back for them. This will work perfect for it!

djwookiee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages djwookiee

I realize the OS says windows but anyone know if this will work with MAC also?

jdf5093

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jdf5093

will it work on a printer?

Robearlbms

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Robearlbms
supakila wrote:I'm looking to upgrade to wireless N soon... now that I have my desktop in the top corner of a house, and the cable modem in the opposite bottom corner, G just isn't cutting it.

Can anyone recommend a good / reasonably priced N router to go along with this?

Maybe this one?:

http://www.amazon.com/Medialink-Wireless-802-11n-Internal-Antenna/dp/B0044YU60M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1318280031&sr=8-1

edit: on second thought, I probably need one that goes up to 300 mbps...

Works well for me.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Linksys-E1200-Wireless-N-Router/16401813

mx023

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mx023
hemi7251 wrote:Anyone know if this would work for a DISH receiver?

i know for a fact this would not be guarenteed to work with a dish receiver. only thing that works with them is a netgear WNDA 3100 v2 :O

supakila

quality posts: 0 Private Messages supakila
xavoc wrote:I've been very impressed with the latest generation Cisco models. Then again I've got the e4200 and it probably cost $120 when I purchased it.

Robearlbms wrote:Works well for me.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Linksys-E1200-Wireless-N-Router/16401813

Thank you sirs. I've always been a fan of Linksys, but I'm still on the WRT54, looks like an upgrade to the E series is in order.

I think I like the E1500, because I need more range most of all, and it has "speed boost" which supposedly gives it better range.

For people in the same situation as me, the E1500 product page on Amazon has a good comparison of the differences in the E series:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004T9RR0E/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B004T9RR6I&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=03QT7WA5DBZX7RE2H8N6#eseriescomparison

Edit: Refurbished models available directly from Cisco, significantly cheaper:

http://homestore.cisco.com/en-us/products/linksys-outlet-refurbished_stcVVcatId543906VVviewcat.htm

alexei27

quality posts: 9 Private Messages alexei27

My wife did

...tryin to reason with hurricane season...

spldart

quality posts: 0 Private Messages spldart

mmmMMMmmm naughty :D

philuup73

quality posts: 0 Private Messages philuup73

already have one of these. But for this price. couldnt pass it up. Quality item. But does not run on 5GhZ side. 2.4 only...

CooperDude

quality posts: 10 Private Messages CooperDude

Not sure if this post will pass muster with the Woot Gods, but I'm guessing there's a woot-off in about 2 1/4 hours as I got an email from woot this AM. That usually is an omen that a woot-off is on its way... we'll see.

saucepanicus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages saucepanicus
CowboyDann wrote:Things might have changed in the last year, but I was looking for a wireless setup for my xbox 360. The only thing that works is the Xbox 360 adapter.

Instead of paying 100 dollars for their device I set up my netbook using a guide similar to this one: http://www.wikihow.com/Use-Your-Laptop-As-an-Xbox-Wireless-Adapter

another thing you could try is a wireless bridge. you can get them for <$40 on newegg

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 560 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

CooperDude wrote:Not sure if this post will pass muster with the Woot Gods, but I'm guessing there's a woot-off in about 2 1/4 hours as I got an email from woot this AM. That usually is an omen that a woot-off is on its way... we'll see.

Pffffft.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• YOU MUST CONTACT CS. Do not post in the forum for help.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy[/b] ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

beerbellybob

quality posts: 5 Private Messages beerbellybob

Wootoff tonight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 560 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

beerbellybob wrote:Wootoff tonight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pfffffft

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• YOU MUST CONTACT CS. Do not post in the forum for help.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy[/b] ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

CooperDude

quality posts: 10 Private Messages CooperDude
beerbellybob wrote:Wootoff tonight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shhhhh.... if no one else knows, it will be just you and me scrambling for all the cool stuff... and the Box of Cobwebs

tradergeorge

quality posts: 12 Private Messages tradergeorge
speedshark wrote:Does anybody really actually need this???

I have an older laptop with a "G" adapter built in and a desktop with no adapter. This is a great way to get them connected at "N" speeds.

Batman4oz

quality posts: 19 Private Messages Batman4oz

This might be of some interest...for the next 17 minutes anyway...

Netgear WN2000RPT

http://www.dailysteals.com/?Trk=Luxury&gclid=CKmpp-XA6akCFQtggwodXBLCYA

^^X^^

Wooting for Bat Capes
JUDY-ism...the Only Religion I need!
WWJD...What Would JUDY Do?!
thebatcaveofoz.us
^^X^^

CowboyDann

quality posts: 716 Private Messages CowboyDann
Batman4oz wrote:This might be of some interest...for the next 17 minutes anyway...

Netgear WN2000RPT

http://www.dailysteals.com/?Trk=Luxury&gclid=CKmpp-XA6akCFQtggwodXBLCYA

^^X^^

the next hour and 17 minutes you mean :D
--------------
Dear Woot: If you do have a woot off- please don't break in the last hour, and leave me in suspense for something HUGE <3 It's not fair to do that to a man who only got 5 maybe 6 hours of sleep in 2 days

Edit: Please don't break ever.

Batman4oz

quality posts: 19 Private Messages Batman4oz
CowboyDann wrote:the next hour and 17 minutes you mean :D
--------------
Dear Woot: If you do have a woot off- please don't break in the last hour, and leave me in suspense for something HUGE <3 It's not fair to do that to a man who only got 5 maybe 6 hours of sleep in 2 days

Edit: Please don't break ever.

Well....where I am it's already gone! These pesky Time Zones...who needs 'em?!

^^X^^

Wooting for Bat Capes
JUDY-ism...the Only Religion I need!
WWJD...What Would JUDY Do?!
thebatcaveofoz.us
^^X^^