WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Ken Jennings, 74-time JEOPARDY! champion and author of the new book MAPHEAD, knows a lot of stuff. But he doesn't know what might be inside one of Woot's notorious Bags O' Crap! Or he didn't, anyway, before opening this one in our studio recently.

Watch our complete conversation with Ken on our blog, here!
http://www.woot.com/Blog/ViewEntry.aspx?Id=19443

bsmith1

quality posts: 105 Private Messages bsmith1

I wasn't jealous of Ken's success until now. I haven't got a BOC in a while. I guess it's true what they say; the rich get richer...

tlight

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tlight

OWS!
(occupy woot street)

~sic transit gloria mundi~
10/13/2006: Kensington Wireless Convertible Pocket Mini Mouse 10/13/2006: Vector 1 Mill CP Spotlight 3/23/2007: Excalibur 4GB USB Portable Drive 4/1/2007:Random gristle 4/27/2007:Screaming Monkey w/ Black Cape 7/20/2007:D14 Portable Universal Chgr 10/25/2007: DirectTV/Tivo Remote 11/16/2007: Living Waterfalls DVD 11/18/2007: Micro Remote Helicopter 2/15/2008: Philips Optical Mouse 6/20/2008: Coleman Fish Pen–Retractable Fishing Pole

DennisG2010

quality posts: 20 Private Messages DennisG2010

"So uh, do I have to take all of this home?"
Classic response to receiving a Box of Cobwebs

And his crap was cooler than all 3 I've received combined.
How come he didn't get any baby clothes/products?

At least in my experience, it's not a Box of Cobwebs w/out a fleece baby blanket.

jimeezlady

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jimeezlady

Answer: A WOOT Box of Crap.

Question: What is worth more than your total Jeopardy winnings?

Great vid! Priceless. :-)

benzaholic

quality posts: 2 Private Messages benzaholic

I don't know what my penance might be for breaking Box of Cobwebs Commandment II, but that was lots better than most of my recent Box of Cobwebs. Boohoo.

X-WebTV-Stationery: Standard; BGColor=red; Background="http://yourfavoritescarypicture"; TextColor=red
I think... I think it's in my basement... Let me go upstairs and check. -- Escher

laurag56

quality posts: 0 Private Messages laurag56

That kept my attention...congrats to Ken for getting a Box of Cobwebs

Laura T. Garmendia

CLKite

quality posts: 0 Private Messages CLKite
jimeezlady wrote:Answer: A WOOT Box of Crap.

Question: What is worth more than your total Jeopardy winnings?

Great vid! Priceless. :-)

Incorrect, I'm sorry, I'm afraid you did not answer in the form of a question.

todaresq

quality posts: 75 Private Messages todaresq

I know something Ken Jennings may not... and that is that I know what is starting at Midnight, Central Time.

majorwest

quality posts: 13 Private Messages majorwest

Lol, that was great! Who would've thought an uber-nerd like Jennings would have such a great sense of humor?

sgoman5674

quality posts: 41 Private Messages sgoman5674

Ken, I don't think that Woot! would part with your giant head sculpture. They should at least let you take a picture of it for the family.

davebihn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages davebihn

I'm sure Mr. Jennings knows that Ohio was the first, but not the only state to be carved from the so-called 'western territory.' Ohio was, specifically, the NORTHwest Territory prior to statehood.

widmer69

quality posts: 14 Private Messages widmer69

That was a pretty good Box of Cobwebs he got there. Can't believe he wanted to leave it behind.

Also, Ken has a dirty mind. Makes me like him more.

hooray beer!

ae95160

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ae95160

i hope my next Box of Cobwebs (if i ever get another one) is that cool!

dboam

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dboam

Ken,

I love you. Not in a stalkerish "change your address" way, but in a you get to do the coolest stuff and I respect you putting yourself out there taking risks and getting the reward kind of way. We miss you here at home. Keep up the good work, and get me that IBM "Deep Thought" wanna be computer's auto-graph.

Dale

mkentosh

quality posts: 310 Private Messages mkentosh

I'll take "4:50 of my life I'll never get back for $500" Alex

Sher48gage

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Sher48gage

I'm not one to be jealous of another's success, I do however covet the monkey. Oh and by the way, the latest newsletter was creepy and entertaining at the same time - Now that's talent.....

djanlp

quality posts: 4 Private Messages djanlp

As much as I enjoyed watching Ken Jennings open a Box of Cobwebs I also enjoyed him talking about his book at the beginning of the video. I facilitated a discussion about encoding and retrieval for my Educational Psychology class tonight, so I showed the part of the video to my class about how he pins information he learns to the map in his head. If we all want to be like Ken Jennings and learn loads of random information, we need to have encoding, processing, and retrieval skills like that!

dillydally

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dillydally

If Ken Jennings is the new celebrity sponsor for Woot! I think Snooki should be the celebrity sponsor for Wine.Woot!

alysdexia

quality posts: 0 Private Messages alysdexia

Now The Big Bang Theory needs to cover woot!.

lndsymj

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lndsymj

Great interview and fun to see Ken Jennings' reaction to a Box of Cobwebs I don't think he was as anxious, giddy, and puzzled by his Box of Cobwebs as the rest of us because he didn't have to practice his finger-eye reflex skills, hope the internet didn't crash, and then have to wait for FedEx SlowPost to deliver the Box of Cobwebs

mightycamels

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mightycamels

What is Who Gives A Crap for a thousand!

dmmdmustang

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dmmdmustang
CLKite wrote:Incorrect, I'm sorry, I'm afraid you did not answer in the form of a question.

What is a Woot Box of Crap!

Yildiz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Yildiz

Wait! Why did they edit out the part where he discusses sitting in front of his monitor all day waiting for the Box of Cobwebs to show up in the Wootoff?

Ah, right, he didn't.
I didn't realize there was a celebrity Box of Cobwebs category. I should have spent all those wootoff hours getting famous.

Frankster14

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Frankster14

all in all, still a pretty damned funny video. Thanks for sharing, woot!

hoguemr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hoguemr

that sounds like the most interesting book in the entire world

K3rm1t

quality posts: 0 Private Messages K3rm1t

What!!? I was certain there would be a laptop, speakers, refurbished IPads, 1st Gen IPods, roombas and more in a Bucket of Candycorn.

Soooo disappointed.

Doombringer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Doombringer

My first thought was "Bottle of Cognac?"

matthew

quality posts: 20 Private Messages matthew

40 more minutes of KJ cartographilia on C-Span here: http://www.c-spanvideo.org/program/Maph

corinthian

quality posts: 1 Private Messages corinthian

Better than most bags of crap I've gotten. I'm vaguely jealous

aggieslaughter

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aggieslaughter

That was quite enjoyable. I like and respect that dude a ton. Good to see he's human.

rlapid2112

quality posts: 9 Private Messages rlapid2112

That headset is broken...

Arthiefufkin

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Arthiefufkin

I think it's easier to become a Jeopardy champ than to get in on the Box of Cobwebs

todaresq

quality posts: 75 Private Messages todaresq

I noticed a missing exclamation point and capitalization error in the square ad on the main page for this topic. It reads:

JEOPARDY! champ!
Woot columnist!

It should read:

JEOPARDY! champ!
woot! columnist!

NavyDallas

quality posts: 7 Private Messages NavyDallas

See, it just cheapens the entire Bag o' Crap experience when you give them away to celebrities without making them sit at a computer at o'dark-thirty frantically pressing the submit button incessantly in a wide-eyed zombie-like fugue-state for 20 minutes.

A genuine original Woot!-istanian.

futurn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages futurn

Once again, I live my life vicariously through Ken Jennings.

potatoman87

quality posts: 1 Private Messages potatoman87

was that the worst Bountiful Overflowing Cornucopia anyone else has ever seen? I thought that was just piss poor. I'd say I feel bad for Ken but I'd be lying.

matthew

quality posts: 20 Private Messages matthew
potatoman87 wrote:was that the worst Bountiful Overflowing Cornucopia anyone else has ever seen? I thought that was just piss poor.

If anything, that beeyocee was an uncharacteristically GOOD one. Consider that the next time you see Wooters getting so excited about them -- or raging with such fiery indignation when they miss out on one.

Ours is not to reason why.

subpeaksurfer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages subpeaksurfer

I want a pleasure hammer.

latentbiologist

quality posts: 1 Private Messages latentbiologist

Mr. Jennings, Please come keynote the esri dev summit. You would be treated as the geospatial geek royalty you are.