sarahnarizona

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sarahnarizona
ashlynmkay wrote:I need something unique for my dad for christmas...not something that is everything he owns combined into one...

"Merry Christmas Dad! Ummmm...ok now get rid of the rest of your crap...Here is more crap!"

1ezmonkey

quality posts: 6 Private Messages 1ezmonkey

I have a first generation stainless finish verson of this and love it so much I purchased this one too. I had the phillips bit break on mine (the first gen was a cast piece) SOG made it good by sending out a replacement as well as a bunch of extra bits and the tools to install them.

I think I'm getting into Heaven.
WOOT = 130 items
SHIRT.WOOT = 72 shirts
WINE.WOOT = 1 item (can't ship wine to Pa.)
SELLOUT.WOOT = 30 items
KIDS.WOOT = 18 items

mikebaz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mikebaz
lloydtruaxc wrote:I am an EOD tech, currently serving in Afghanistan, and have used this for its purpose. Unfortunately i couldn't use it long, as it fell apart almost immediately. The geared pliers are the only plus, but if you want a good multi-tool, Gerber or Leatherman are the way to go.

Thank you, and thank you.

crowsnest

quality posts: 53 Private Messages crowsnest

@crowsnest531

emccoyii

quality posts: 4 Private Messages emccoyii
dsmith88 wrote:Ya'll know they are not gonna have a Box of Cobwebs on this woot off dont you?

Sure they will! Just seconds after you sit down in the 'library' to take care of business. ;-)

CypressCustoms

quality posts: 1 Private Messages CypressCustoms
mkentosh wrote:is it Macgyver approved?

Not sure but McGrubber loves it!!!

artpego

quality posts: 2 Private Messages artpego

Chuck Norris approved weapon of mass destruction.

crowsnest

quality posts: 53 Private Messages crowsnest

@crowsnest531

cmbears

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cmbears

FWIW my boss is ex army and he is super pissed that SOG is used on this brand.

He is a master plumber and bought one of these a few months ago and it was terrible. The locking mechanism was useless and the Phillips head screwdriver broke off after 2 uses (apparently it is made of some sort of composite)

Not saying it will be terrible but its what happened to him.

halnwheels

quality posts: 9 Private Messages halnwheels
artpego wrote:Chuck Norris approved weapon of mass destruction.

What the?

xavoc

quality posts: 15 Private Messages xavoc
RonMel wrote:Watch the SOG stuff - like Gerber their 'stainless' steel can rust if you are not careful. I have a SOG and a Leatherman Wave and the Wave is what I reach for 1st everytime.....

All 'stainless' steel can rust. It's rust resistant, not rustproof. Like anything made of metal, keeping it dry and out of high moisture environments helps. Oiling it regularly does as well.

Then again I'm the kind of person to hand strop his knives...

artpego

quality posts: 2 Private Messages artpego
halnwheels wrote:What the?

Exactly

xavoc

cmbears wrote:FWIW my boss is ex army and he is super pissed that SOG is used on this brand.

He is a master plumber and bought one of these a few months ago and it was terrible. The locking mechanism was useless and the Phillips head screwdriver broke off after 2 uses (apparently it is made of some sort of composite)

Not saying it will be terrible but its what happened to him.

If I found a master plumber using a multi-tool instead of the right tool for the job on my plumbing I'm pretty sure he wouldn't be doing any plumbing in my house or business going forward.

This tool is more the kind of thing I'd use as a pair of pliers or wire cutters than anything else.

retswerb

quality posts: 9 Private Messages retswerb

I love love LOVE my leatherman PSTII, have carried it for a decade and don't leave home without it. Plus I've used their warranty and trust them to stand behind their stuff.

So, not interested in the SOG.

But dang, I love the idea of those 'wings' that cover over the handles on these when you're using it as pliers. That might be the only thing I've ever seen on another multitool that makes me jealous.

xavoc

lloydtruaxc wrote:I am an EOD tech, currently serving in Afghanistan, and have used this for its purpose. Unfortunately i couldn't use it long, as it fell apart almost immediately. The geared pliers are the only plus, but if you want a good multi-tool, Gerber or Leatherman are the way to go.

That sucks. I've had pretty damn good luck w/ most SOG branded gear in the past.

Either way, thank you for your service and the review.

buildintechie

quality posts: 2 Private Messages buildintechie

I had my leatherman wave stolen from me at work...in for one!

r4mbl3r

quality posts: 0 Private Messages r4mbl3r

My brother is a Marine, he ditched his issued K-Bar for a SOG.

rprebel

quality posts: 14 Private Messages rprebel

Okay, folks. I'm stepping out for an hour or so, which means (if history is any judge) the Bushel of Corn should be posted any minute. Warm up your F5 keys.

caxswimmer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages caxswimmer

Its ok guys, the crimper wont hurt you :P

Bag of Cuuuuuute! 10/12/11
Glowsticks? thanks jumbowoot 12/31/11
and headphones. lots and lots of headphones...

xavoc

retswerb wrote:I love love LOVE my leatherman PSTII, have carried it for a decade and don't leave home without it. Plus I've used their warranty and trust them to stand behind their stuff.

But dang, I love the idea of those 'wings' that cover over the handles on these when you're using it as pliers. That might be the only thing I've ever seen on another multitool that makes me jealous.

Mostly I've found that the wings get annoying when trying to use one of the tools that isn't pliers.

retswerb

quality posts: 9 Private Messages retswerb
xavoc wrote:Mostly I've found that the wings get annoying when trying to use one of the tools that isn't pliers.

lol -- thanks for restoring my fire for my first love.

robino

quality posts: 2 Private Messages robino

Lunchtime!

halnwheels

quality posts: 9 Private Messages halnwheels
robino wrote:Lunchtime!

Are we there yet? I have to goooo...

aphotic1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aphotic1

A couple notes regarding this from personal experience. If you're military or someone working with plastic explosives this doesn't have the "C-4 punch" to give long holes to put blasting caps in, so I wouldn't recommend it if you're trying to replace your trusty M2 crimpers. The covers are irritating and don't keep much debris out. The gears however are awesome and do provide a lot more torque for gripping when you're trying to pry, screw, turn, etc., with the pliers. Also, some units specifically forbid these crimpers for non-electric cap work up. The Gerber EOD tool lacks the gear assist but makes up with a punch and no silly covers. Also, don't try to pry using the knife blade as the metal is prone to snapping in your face.

bratib

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bratib
orbdragon wrote:I just picked this up at my post office. Played with it for a few hours, and it is amazing. Worth it!

The post office is selling these now?

stevef2222

quality posts: 1 Private Messages stevef2222
halnwheels wrote:NOTE TO WOOT'S NEW OWNER: The Wootoff is for stuff you couldn't sell in 24 hours. Therefore, you are supposed to LOWER THE PRICE to get rid of the rest of the crap.

GET IT?

sorry , but thats big business for you...get used to it cause it looks like the right wing's making a comeback;-)

braden07

quality posts: 2 Private Messages braden07

i smell a Box of Cobwebs coming!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mydnyte

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Mydnyte

SOG makes quality stuff. I've always been pleased with SOG branded products.

Over FOUR HUNDRED Woots and counting.....

srt233

quality posts: 0 Private Messages srt233

MMMM BOXXY BOXXNESS

tjsumner

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tjsumner

Just for all you Box of Cobweb complainers....

Mydnyte

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Mydnyte
bratib wrote:The post office is selling these now?

Gotta make a profit somehow...

Over FOUR HUNDRED Woots and counting.....

BearcatRR

quality posts: 0 Private Messages BearcatRR

I grabbed one of these from Woot last year and I have to say it is one of the best multi-tools that I have ever owned. All of the Gerbers that I have ever bought or been issued have broke in short order. This one just made it through a year long trip to Iraq and still looks and works like the day I bought it.

MIKAMEEK

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MIKAMEEK

Can someone please sell me one of these that got an extra? I've been wanting to get this for a long time and I can't believe I missed this woot... if anyone bought an extra and is willing to sell to me please let me know. My email is chojmichael@gmail.com phone number is (four two five) 610 9213 Thanks guys. I really appreciate it!

lete

quality posts: 23 Private Messages lete
retswerb wrote:I love love LOVE my leatherman PSTII, have carried it for a decade and don't leave home without it. Plus I've used their warranty and trust them to stand behind their stuff.

Those wings make for an excellent trap for your hands. When a bit of skin sneaks its way between the wings and the tool prepare yourself for a MEGA PINCH!