6%
5%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

wootalyzer

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wootalyzer

Wootalyzer's Pricing Post! - The price of today's woot item is saved here for future reference
------------------------------------------------------------
Pioneer Bookshelf Loudspeakers (Pair)
$99.99 + $5 Shipping
Condition: New

*DISCLAIMER* Wootalyzer! is in no way affiliated with Woot!, and this post may not always be here!

firebeyer

quality posts: 3 Private Messages firebeyer

Oh boy! Some big speakers!

retswerb

quality posts: 9 Private Messages retswerb

What exactly makes these speakers 'bookshelf'? Is that a specific speaker category, or just a description of a place they would fit nicely?

TGrier

quality posts: 5 Private Messages TGrier

Here's the info sheet at Pioneer. They look pretty good!
Pioneer!

mithr

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mithr
retswerb wrote:What exactly makes these speakers 'bookshelf'? Is that a specific speaker category, or just a description of a place they would fit nicely?

Among other things, it usually means that there's no way to mount them on the wall (well, at least without a device to support them).

soleblaze

quality posts: 1 Private Messages soleblaze
retswerb wrote:What exactly makes these speakers 'bookshelf'? Is that a specific speaker category, or just a description of a place they would fit nicely?

bookshelf is a category due to their size. They're made to be put on stands instead of floorstanders, which go directly on the floor. They don't actually sound that good on a bookshelf.

u20v00a

quality posts: 1 Private Messages u20v00a

It's a category referring to the speaker size. But it could also serve as suggestion for speaker placement, although I find speaker stand at ear level work better.

blckshirt98

quality posts: 7 Private Messages blckshirt98

I already have 4 pairs of speakers but might grab a pair based on this Stereophile review alone -

http://www.stereophile.com/content/pioneer-sp-bs41-lr-loudspeaker

This is an incredible deal.

thumperchick

quality posts: 241 Private Messages thumperchick

What?

I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome this deal is!

jmasur

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jmasur

With a rave like this from Stereophile, my only question is how many pairs to buy.

http://www.stereophile.com/content/pioneer-sp-bs41-lr-loudspeaker

silyn

quality posts: 2 Private Messages silyn

I thought it was more of a quality distinction, somewhere between rail/house and top shelf.

richardhod

quality posts: 261 Private Messages richardhod

It's their size! Small enough to go... on a bookshelf!

Most speakers need some space betgween them adn the wall to sound their best. So make sure you have a big enough bookshelf to leave a couple or a few inches behind them! Never put speakers in the corner of a room. It makes the soundstage muddy, boomy and indistinct.

abstevens

quality posts: 10 Private Messages abstevens

Can I use these as computer speakers?

durfinator

quality posts: 2 Private Messages durfinator

*phew* good thing this isn't a heater core for a '00 Taurus. I would've had to go in for 3. Stupid car.

blckshirt98

quality posts: 7 Private Messages blckshirt98
abstevens wrote:Can I use these as computer speakers?

If you have the right setup yes, but they have the standard bare wire terminals like any conventional speaker.

Prey

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Prey

They provide no power on their own as computer speakers are expected to do. You'd need a amplifier to use these.

retswerb

re: bookshelf categorization -- you guys (all) rock.

u20v00a

AVS Forum discussion (in case someone has a LOT of time to kill):
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1278774

cowboyesfan

quality posts: 10 Private Messages cowboyesfan

Yes, you can, but then you would have to listen very closely to hear them.

todaresq

quality posts: 75 Private Messages todaresq

Growing up, my dad actually had speakers on the bookcases in our library. Since it was the 80's... no wireless yet... so there were speaker wires installed underneath the carpet. We had a rack system, complete with a SONY TC-366 reel to reel which I still have along with a bunch of reels.

I wish I had room for a proper rack system complete with receiver, amp, dual tape deck, record player, and the reel to reel... I would be able to relive my youth well (would also love a nice library)... and these speakers would be great to use for it... unless I can some how afford the McIntosh XR290's I have drooled over for years.

But since they were $17,500... I doubt I will be able to afford them... ever. So these Pioneer speakers for $99 would again, be great.

retswerb

Just noticed on Amazon's page for these that they ship in 1 to 2... *months*.

todaresq

quality posts: 75 Private Messages todaresq
retswerb wrote:Just noticed on Amazon's page for these that they ship in 1 to 2... *months*.

So, if you order it through woot!, you might also get them in 1 - 2 months due to SmartPost, so advantage is still woot!... since you will still save $50 bucks. ;)

However, I do trust SmartPost... and have always received my items in a timely manner.

MaddOperator

quality posts: 1 Private Messages MaddOperator

I have a pair of these. Paid the same price when they were on sale at Best Buy. For $99 they're pretty damn nice. They can handle some volume. Also, picking up background sounds in movies has become a great new game with these. Just listen to the rain in Aliens (not Alien) with it and you'll be amazed at how immersed you'll become in movies you know forward and back.

gsyarris

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gsyarris

Because nobody reads anymore, what a perfect alternative use for bookshelves.

scottskillman

quality posts: 4 Private Messages scottskillman

Here is Andrew Jones himself to talk about the speakers. He has a British accent, so they must be good right? Or does that mean he is a villain? I have a hard time keeping that straight.

qwiktune

quality posts: 3 Private Messages qwiktune

Would these be decent for Satellite/Rear speakers? I have pretty decent floorstanding Yamaha fronts, but i'm in dire need of some decent rears......

rydethis

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rydethis
gsyarris wrote:Because nobody reads anymore, what a perfect alternative use for bookshelves.

I like big books.... and I can not lie!!!

Touch me in the morning!!

jkane

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jkane
qwiktune wrote:Would these be decent for Satellite/Rear speakers? I have pretty decent floorstanding Yamaha fronts, but i'm in dire need of some decent rears......

Get three pair, skip the yamahas, enjoy a fully matched system with decent resolution for piss money, and keep the sixth speaker as a spare. Only works if you have a good sub though.

Charter member-Blushing Over Compliments club

• 9/28/2004 Bag O' carp II
  • 8/13/2004 Random carp

u20v00a

I would think the low impedance (6 ohms) would offset the low sensitivity (85dB), but it looks like you'd need a decent power amp to drive these speakers well. A search online shows Recommended Amp Power: 50-130 watts. A shame you can't pair these with a cheap T-Amp for a budget audiophile system...

retswerb

I know this is a long shot... but am I the only one who read the name Andrew Jones in the description and thought TallSkinnyKiwi?

qwiktune

quality posts: 3 Private Messages qwiktune
jkane wrote:Get three pair, skip the yamahas, enjoy a fully matched system with decent resolution for piss money, and keep the sixth speaker as a spare. Only works if you have a good sub though.

In a perfect world i guess that'd be the best way to go, but I like my big ol' Yammy's and I can justify replacing something that already works great, plus my yammy's are prob better with the lower frequncy's but yes I do have a nice 15in 600watt sub that shakes the floor. These Pioneer are pretty hefty though, i may need something a bit small that i can mount on the wall

MaimeDaifuku

quality posts: 2 Private Messages MaimeDaifuku

or is it Young Neil?

halukucar

quality posts: 3 Private Messages halukucar

I am looking for a good boombox for iphone. Something like RV-NB50. I do not remember if I ever seen them on woot. Do they put boomboxes on woot.

Utlkalot15

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Utlkalot15
u20v00a wrote:I would think the low impedance (6 ohms) would offset the low sensitivity (85dB), but it looks like you'd need a decent power amp to drive these speakers well. A search online shows Recommended Amp Power: 50-130 watts. A shame you can't pair these with a cheap T-Amp for a budget audiophile system...

I was just looking at audioengine's products and these come along. I'm totally new to AV equipment. Are there any guides for noobs online in matching speakers such as these to an AV receiver?

xonar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages xonar

What would I need to get to hook these up to a standard desktop computer? I'm assuming they couldn't just plug into the headphone jack...

royphil345

quality posts: 1 Private Messages royphil345
xonar wrote:What would I need to get to hook these up to a standard desktop computer? I'm assuming they couldn't just plug into the headphone jack...

You would need amplification... a stereo receiver or integrated amp for 2-channel sound.

You'd need a stereo 3.5mm plug to dual RCA plugs adapter cable between the amp and the computer. You'd also need speaker cable, 14 gauge OFC recommended.

If your computer's sound card is capable of more channels, you have the option of using a surround receiver and more speakers.

buffaloed

quality posts: 28 Private Messages buffaloed
xonar wrote:What would I need to get to hook these up to a standard desktop computer? I'm assuming they couldn't just plug into the headphone jack...

You need an amplifier. This Pyle would probably do nicely: http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-2x75W-Stereo-Power-Amplifier/dp/B001P2R1RW/

Anything with an amp with an aux input and speaker outputs will do. I use an old radio.

thomasterrible

quality posts: 3 Private Messages thomasterrible

These are good speakers. Keep in mind these are 6 Ohm though. The sensitivity of 85db is a bit low but still would make a great surround sound system with two pairs of these plus a center channel like the CS 21 which matches and a sub, plus a couple more or two larger front mains for a 7.1 system. They are a bit large and heavy for this but if one can pull it off, and the speaker stands I just bought might be able to, or mounts etc. then you would have a great system with 130 watt handling. They don't have sharp high tones but that is not bad just might surprise many due to most speakers of lower price not having soft dome tweeters. I think it would be hard to find something better for the price. I just got a set of Energy Take Classic 5.1 surrounds plus a pair of Energy CF-30's for front mains in a 7.1 (got those for about 1/2 on sale prices by talking nice to a sales guy at an online retailer. If size had not been an issue I would have considered there. So they are certainly decent IMO and that of many others for the price of course. Too bad no pic of what the speakers inside look like. The are about 50 bucks less than other places online so a good deal. If they fit your needs buy them. I just got a Pioneer Elite AV receiver at an incredibly low price so go with this system, Pioneer does have some good stuff in their line. I have a set of McIntosh big boys in the living room and don't expect sound like that, but those are far from 99 bucks. Keep the price in mind and get them or a pair if a surround system is being built, you probably won't regret it. The new soundbars are great space saving technology but won't ever sound as good as a real surround system.