virtual1one

quality posts: 6 Private Messages virtual1one
mx023 wrote:is there a factory warranty with these buckyballs? i got some from woot, and the metallic layer has come off and now the metallic dust gets all over my hands..

I did quite a bit of research before buying any of these, I ended up getting nanospheres. They are a little smaller physically, but you get 231 per set instead of 216, for about the same price. (you CANNOT mix sets of different sizes) That was a year ago, and they were $18-20/set. China's rare earth embargo has started to put the squeeze on magnet prices though, the last two sets I bought were $27 ea and I imagine the prices will only continue their rapid rise.

Unfortunately anything besides the basic nickel plated balls are going to flake off their coating, there's just too much force between the balls for any softer coating to withstand. This happens with the black, high luster silver, and gold balls as well.

I assure you the magnetic dust isn't getting on your hands - it's firmly on the balls and you'll have a tough time cleaning it off them. The dust is the non-metallic part of the colored coating that's being ground to powder.

johnnyflet

quality posts: 0 Private Messages johnnyflet
CowboyDann wrote:I bought Blue Balls and silver balls from woot. While it is a lot of fun to build stuff and pull things apart; my coworker and I have wasted plenty of time throwing these at the fridge. Little balls of metal shouldn't just stop and stick like that. If you own these already you should try it. It's a lot more fun than it sounds.

Ok, just tried that on my cabinet. New favorite game here at work.

CowboyDann

quality posts: 716 Private Messages CowboyDann
johnnyflet wrote:Ok, just tried that on my cabinet. New favorite game here at work.

I know right?! What we try to do is see how many we can get to connect. It's pretty cool when you throw one in between two others and all 3 connect, or 4 of them all hit the exact same spot and you get little spears stickin' out of your fridge/cabinet/whatever.

dbuggr

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dbuggr

I would love to get these, but I'd be more likely to pull the trigger if they were full size sets and not "sidekicks".

romulusnr

quality posts: 1 Private Messages romulusnr

Size matters. Normal BuckyBall sets are 216 magnets (6^3). But these are 125 (5^3). This "two-pack" is misleading, because in fact, these two packs add up barely more (34) magnets than a single regular BB pack.

But they're pink, and people eat that up nowadays.

libertango

quality posts: 1 Private Messages libertango

These are fantastic stocking stuffers. I bought Buckyballs for my little cousins and boyfriend last year for Christmas and they were HUGE hits with all of our families. You know how after Christmas lunch/dinner when everyone is sitting around full and bored? They'll sit entertained for hours trying to make their first cubes out of Buckyballs

jgrand14

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jgrand14

am i missing the part where people were talking about charities? or did all of that get deleted?

ionman

quality posts: 21 Private Messages ionman
jgrand14 wrote:am i missing the part where people were talking about charities? or did all of that get deleted?

Some people voiced their opposition to this particular charity for specific reasons. One of the Woot Staff decided to delete all those posts and even stated that they would on the 1st page of posts because some of it was getting quite nasty. If you do a search on this particular charity you'll undoubtedly easily find information on one of the causes they support that some people strongly objected to.

See this post:Post from page 1

diceman63

quality posts: 0 Private Messages diceman63

buckyballs are GREAT! marque1photo plz DO NOT give them to infants!

Corvana

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Corvana

You know, go away. You don't like it, don't have an abortion. In the meantime, no preaching, please.

wootmeharder wrote:Really...so you are telling me that no women ever used abortion as a means of birth control because they were not responsible enough to protect themselves from pregnancy with the many easily available forms of contraception that are available today?

Oh no every women who ever gets an abortion is a victim of sexu@l assault or birth control failure right?

What color is the sky in your world? Is it filled with candy rainbows and lolly-pop dreams?

Must be nice to just completely deny facts that do not fit your argument.

halukucar

quality posts: 3 Private Messages halukucar
jgrand14 wrote:am i missing the part where people were talking about charities? or did all of that get deleted?

see http://www.woot.com/Forums/ViewPost.aspx?PostID=4679735

dbuggr

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dbuggr
Corvana wrote:You know, go away. You don't like it, don't have an abortion. In the meantime, no preaching, please.

Amen!

robsthings

quality posts: 0 Private Messages robsthings

Sadly, it looks like a forced donation to a questionable charity (not a questionable cause). Even more sadness when folks are not allowed to comment on the forced donation with purchase.

Perhaps in the future there might be a drop box of charities to choose from.

EuroVargr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages EuroVargr

Amen! I love the idea of donating to charities, but I do find this one to be a little too questionable for my liking. Not the cause, just the organization.

robsthings wrote:Sadly, it looks like a forced donation to a questionable charity (not a questionable cause). Even more sadness when folks are not allowed to comment on the forced donation with purchase.

Perhaps in the future there might be a drop box of charities to choose from.

cubbiejunior

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cubbiejunior

I bought a set of Blue Buckyballs and should let you know that a full set is 216 magnets. Of course, the price was $40. Just sayin', know what you are getting in case you were thinking of two sets for two kids.

On that note, they are nearly impossible to put down and can take away stress for adults, both young and old. I would say everyone needs a set!

paxhcndria

quality posts: 3 Private Messages paxhcndria

Good Deal...

Pink sidekicks are 39.95 each and the book is 9.95 plus shipping

nearly $90 if you were to order through www.getbuckyballs.com

huntman21014

quality posts: 0 Private Messages huntman21014
paxhcndria wrote:Good Deal...

Pink sidekicks are 39.95 each and the book is 9.95 plus shipping

nearly $90 if you were to order through www.getbuckyballs.com

They don't offer pink in sidekicks, the pink ones are regular 216 but it is still a deal as you are getting spares plus the book. Still saving around $15 plus shipping

paxhcndria

quality posts: 3 Private Messages paxhcndria
huntman21014 wrote:They don't offer pink in sidekicks, the pink ones are regular 216 but it is still a deal as you are getting spares plus the book. Still saving around $15 plus shipping

You might be right, on the page I clicked sidekicks and clicked buy now and once you scroll down it shows you different colors including pink, i assumed they were sidekicks.

zach0731

quality posts: 81 Private Messages zach0731

Staff

**Shipping Update**

Pink Buckyballs 2-Pack with The Big Book of Bucky has completely shipped via FEDEX SMART POST. All tracking has already been emailed out. You can also find your tracking number by following this link and use your ORDER NUMBER as the reference number.

FEDEX TRACKING

abassham

quality posts: 0 Private Messages abassham

Ya, I'm like What the Heck?! I bought some balls last year for less, a two pack of 216 balls each(6x6x6). I get these pink things in the mail and they are much smaller... 5x5x5 (125 balls). Wow! I guess that pink dye costs a lot! Anyway, I took out 34 pink balls and assemble the rest into one 6x6x6 cube. It's fun though to mix up the silver and pink into some wierd patterns. But hey, the deal was a bit lean.