ScottFromWyoming

quality posts: 11 Private Messages ScottFromWyoming

Looks like a good value, I was recently shopping for cots for inside our car-camping tent and decided to make do for one more year because I'm a cheap S.O.B. But I'll get 2 of these I think (have to ponder because I'm a cheap... right.)

A couple of good points to consider that I gleaned from a quick review of reviews on other sites: (1) This cot is higher off the ground than some other cots. That means you'll place it further away from the walls of your tent if they slope inward. Which eats up floor space PDQ. (2) several people mention that making the last connection/fitting is difficult. That is, it doesn't simply fold up, you have to put some spreader bars in it and they don't go in without a fight. One guy fashioned a tool of some sort to help. So plan on some frustration, I guess.

smawley

quality posts: 0 Private Messages smawley

These things are great if you:

1) Have an extreme aversion to sleeping on the ground.

2) Have some kind of a pad to make it a bit softer. (Meaning the ground is usually softer. Carpet definitely is.)

3) Just have a very pressing need to re-live the good old days of camping w/ your military unit, etc.

This one looks like it's very high quality as these kind of cots go.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

bbvk05

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bbvk05
aandrew667 wrote:anyone know the dimensions when it is folded up?

It is like a 3 foot long cylinder with a diameter of 10". Fairly easy to store.

todaresq

quality posts: 75 Private Messages todaresq

These were the most popular cots at the Red Cross shelter I worked EMS at for the flood we had in September.

There were others that would fold out like the 1980's lounge chairs... in that the legs were like the front of this...

They were not sturdy if not properly set up.

Today's woot though... they were easy to set up and sturdy.
Will see if my ambulance squad is in for 3.

re: the flood... we are still rebuilding. It sucks, the elementary school I attended as a kid will be rebuilt anew.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 547 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

ahuff330 wrote:Is this stable enough to handle ThunderThighs?

HEY!!!! I resemble that remark.

And yes it is.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

bbvk05

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bbvk05
smawley wrote:These things are great if you:

1) Have an extreme aversion to sleeping on the ground.

2) Have some kind of a pad to make it a bit softer. (Meaning the ground is usually softer. Carpet definitely is.)

3) Just have a very pressing need to re-live the good old days of camping w/ your military unit, etc.

This one looks like it's very high quality as these kind of cots go.

This cot is a significantly better sleeping surface than the ground or carpet. With just a few minutes of laying on carpet it is compressed and you feel like you are laying on the cement floor beneath it. The cot has the appropriate "give" for your hips and shoulders and is significantly more comfortable.

If you have an air mattress or really good padding the floor is fine, but it is nothing easy and movable like this.

TinRootRusted

quality posts: 0 Private Messages TinRootRusted
yeawuteva wrote:that bar across the middle looks like it would cause back pain...

That is not a bar, just the folding point on both sides for when storing, these are very comfy, and if you are not too close to the 325, it does support good!

acowfrog

quality posts: 5 Private Messages acowfrog
Bonzaicake wrote:If that's not an endorsement, I don't know what is!

Indeed :D

ginawoot

quality posts: 17 Private Messages ginawoot

This looks like it would also make a nice outdoor pet lounge for a large hound or a couple smaller dogs or cats, to keep them off the cold/hot/wet ground, out of the reach of ants and fleas, etc. (Similar things exist specifically for that purpose, but they're quite a bit pricier.)

ahuff330

quality posts: 3 Private Messages ahuff330
ThunderThighs wrote:HEY!!!! I resemble that remark.

And yes it is.

Was still a valid question.

Laserwulf

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Laserwulf

Wow, it's the civilian version of an Army cot! Seriously, I was on one of these for two weeks in Iraq, waiting for the previous unit to depart. They're okay for a night, but after a week the floor starts looking pretty comfy. And unless the design has been refined, they are not quick nor easy to properly assemble. The bar at each end has holes for the lengthwise-bars to fit into, and the drum-like tautness of the canvas requires a LOT of muscle to get the removable bars onto the securing notches.

wunami

quality posts: 9 Private Messages wunami

I've used similar cots that used wood frames for first aid stations at events like the Boston Marathon. I have nothing to back this up, but I feel like they were probably lighter but could bear a higher load.

Someone mentioned possibly getting cold on these because it's just a thin piece of fabric. Solution is simply to put some kind layer down then sleep on it. For example, if you're camping, then just sleep in a sleeping bag but on the cot. Likely more comfortable than sleeping bag on the ground and probably warmer since heat loss by convection is probably less than heat loss by conduction.

amemait

quality posts: 10 Private Messages amemait

This looks exactly like my Trekker cot. I really like my Trekker cot.

It's a bit tight setting up. You have to really stretch the thing to get the ends in the right spot. I've got it down pretty well, though.

To me, it's also very comfortable. It's considerably stiffer than an air mattress; I like that. I've never had a sore back after sleeping on it.

I'm in for one. I need a spare.

Baeocystin

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Baeocystin

I slept on one of these for a little over a year, when I lived in a small cabin in the high desert.

They're durable, and comfortable enough on their own for a night or two.

Add a long thermarest on top, and it becomes quite literally the most comfortable bed I've slept on.

thaskaman

quality posts: 15 Private Messages thaskaman
CowboyDann wrote:I bought this Ozark Trail Camping Cot during a woot off, but I haven't opened it yet. Should I sell that one and get this one instead?

I actually have BOTH of mine stretched out now =)
And for the price? IMO was worth it (though the first time stretching to get all put together was a pain)

Nah, these arent too bad though I would respect the weight limit just to be safe.

Cheers!

wunami

quality posts: 9 Private Messages wunami

Oh yeah. The last connection is usually difficult to get on these designs because that's how the fabric is made very taut such that it won't sag.

thaskaman

quality posts: 15 Private Messages thaskaman

no freakin joke ^^^
im 28 and had difficulty getting these together

but once setup, put in an open area and just pile stuff on top stretch them puppies out...next use will be much easier!

LaKASkill

quality posts: 15 Private Messages LaKASkill

I live in the south, after hurricane Katrina I learned to appreciate little things like this. I have no dough to blow or I would be in for a couple. If you live in an area that natural disaster is common, do yourself a favor and buy one or three.

tommy2rs

quality posts: 4 Private Messages tommy2rs

Oh man, instant flashback to my younger days. Ours were wood frames with white canvas, even had frames for mosquito netting. After a few nights the canvas would stretch and you had to wet it down and let it dry in the sun to tighten back up. But they always worked and gave a good nights sleep.

Oh and pile your duffle under the cot when it's cold. It'll let you sleep warmer

There's nothing more exhilarating than pointing out the shortcomings of others, is there? -- Randal Graves, "Clerks"

Zeffmeister

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Zeffmeister

Why the hell did I just buy an emergency cot? I'm calling my therapist.

zagfan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zagfan

These should sell out to occupy Wall-Street protesters in no time.

dogrrl

quality posts: 2 Private Messages dogrrl

These same cots were on woot for around $8.00 about a month ago - I bought three of them and they are GREAT! I would wait for another woot or a woot off; at this price it's kind of a rip off!

[From Thunderthighs: Ahem. Prove it.]

blckshirt98

quality posts: 7 Private Messages blckshirt98

This thing has to be at least twice as comfortable as the spongy foldout sofabed I had to sleep on while at a rental condo. Woot tempts me with items I would otherwise never even consider buying.

mirrorz

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mirrorz

I love WOOT! but I hate that you are in Texas with me.

It cost me $48.25 with sales tax since the tax coupon only works on purchases over $45 (before taxes.) Occupy Carrollton. :P

I saw a turtle.

casepeople6

quality posts: 0 Private Messages casepeople6

I have a question. I am 6'3". Is this going to be long enough that I would be able to sleep on it relatively comfortably? Or is that not really a good idea?

dogrrl

quality posts: 2 Private Messages dogrrl

This same cot was on WOOT for 7.99 a month ago - it is an amazing cot (I bought 3) - but really, at this price?? My advice, wait for a woot off.

LastApeMan

quality posts: 18 Private Messages LastApeMan

I remember these torture devices.

these would be great probably, for some one that is less than 75" tall.

I am just a tad over 76" tall though so. the ground is much less of a hardship. and the ground is free of charge.

very difficult to fall of the ground as well.

What Lies Behind Us and Lies Before Us are Small Matters Compared to What Lies Right to Our Faces.

TheSharpieOne

quality posts: 0 Private Messages TheSharpieOne

I'll take one!

I hope it fits in that tent a bought from here a little while back. If not, oh well.

LastApeMan

quality posts: 18 Private Messages LastApeMan
dogrrl wrote:These same cots were on woot for around $8.00 about a month ago - I bought three of them and they are GREAT! I would wait for another woot or a woot off; at this price it's kind of a rip off!

[From Thunderthighs: Ahem. Prove it.]

8 Bucks!!! No Kidding? at that price i'd get some as well, then run down to harbor freight and buy some pneumatic wheels and fashion some sails - i am thinking these will scream across the desert in the right conditions.

What Lies Behind Us and Lies Before Us are Small Matters Compared to What Lies Right to Our Faces.

speedogirl2

quality posts: 28 Private Messages speedogirl2

Lowest price ever on Amazon for this cot was 48.99.

I want one of these, but I keep eyeing those end bars and I think I'll slam my knee against one or accidentally impale my head on it.

woncoolone

quality posts: 479 Private Messages woncoolone

vladistov

quality posts: 50 Private Messages vladistov

It looks like a comfortable enough model to me; but I slept on a cot for seven years.

kd13

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kd13
ginawoot wrote:This looks like it would also make a nice outdoor pet lounge for a large hound or a couple smaller dogs or cats, to keep them off the cold/hot/wet ground, out of the reach of ants and fleas, etc. (Similar things exist specifically for that purpose, but they're quite a bit pricier.)

Very good point. I am so happy you mentioned that. Here I was thinking I did not need a cot when I do need two for my dogs to use on the coldest night in the garage. I can arrange a proper bed for them using the cots. WOW.

speedogirl2

quality posts: 28 Private Messages speedogirl2
aandrew667 wrote:anyone know the dimensions when it is folded up?

Campmor website which includes reviews states 39x7 inch folded dimension.

princecharmeing

quality posts: 0 Private Messages princecharmeing

eee gads slep on one of those's thing in the marines count me out

madhack

quality posts: 3 Private Messages madhack
dogrrl wrote:This same cot was on WOOT for 7.99 a month ago - it is an amazing cot (I bought 3) - but really, at this price?? My advice, wait for a woot off.

Got a link? I saw some cots on the last Woot-off, but they weren't the same ones. I definitely remember some with a 225lb weight limit, which is a whole different ball of wax than a 335lb weight limit. I've managed to get closer to 225 than 325 lately, but not by enough to make the cheaper cot useful.

cybersheep

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cybersheep

Put yoga mat on help keep you warm in winter or at high elevation camping.

bbvk05 wrote:Cots like this are exceptionally comfortable. You'll really be surprised. I prefer them to an air mattress.

The one thing you'll want to remember is that air passes under these are makes you extremely cold compared to normal, where your body warms the bed or ground surface. Important to remember for cold weather camping.

mdnorman

quality posts: 50 Private Messages mdnorman
dogrrl wrote:These same cots were on woot for around $8.00 about a month ago - I bought three of them and they are GREAT! I would wait for another woot or a woot off; at this price it's kind of a rip off!

I think you are mistaken. The cot available on Woot about a month ago was a different item from a different manufacturer, and it was priced at around $18 ($23 w/ shipping).

This cot has a higher weight capacity and is more expensive than the cot that was previously on Woot, so your assertion that this is a "rip off" is off base.

halcyi0n

quality posts: 0 Private Messages halcyi0n

This cot has excellent reviews on campmor, but the deal doesn't seem that fantastic 40 as opposed to 55 http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___47360

Tiahaar

quality posts: 10 Private Messages Tiahaar

got a couple of these now for next year's BurningMan trip woohoo!