sickyota

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sickyota

this laptop weighs more than me! I want some pizza.

angerbender

quality posts: 48 Private Messages angerbender

This is really good and I highly recommend it. Cleveland style. The toppings are put on upside-down with the sauce on top of the pizza.

m159267

quality posts: 1 Private Messages m159267

I slept in and hubby bought me a new laptop! I am gonna sleep in more often! yaaaaaaay!!!!! gotta love me a good woot!

dynersooner

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dynersooner

order page doesnt seem to be working?

Elvis Random 4 pack (lots) | Rasmussen PS (lots) | Parker Station Quartet (some) | Poizin Zinfandel Trio (few) | G Saké (few) | Helix by Reininger Quartet (some) | 2004 Highway 12 Cab Blend Trio (some) | Chateau Souverain Zinfandel Single-Vineyard Sampler Trio (lots) | FFC Reserve 2005 Pinot Noir (lots) | Mosaic White Quartet (some) | Stuart Cellars Temecula Trio (some) | Wellington Cab Collecton Trio + 1 (some) | Fife Redwood Valley Trio (lots) | Chaucer Mead (some) | Mosaic Meritage (lots)

glazedfaith

quality posts: 33 Private Messages glazedfaith
Ask4Fish wrote:The sound is better than your average laptop, but not deserving of the hype from HP.

If it's anything like the TouchPad with "Beats Audio", the built-in speakers are only physically capable of so much, but the audio out is where it really shines; Think: Headphones/external speakers.

Derkel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Derkel

Sadly my 2006 HP finally broke on me yesterday, I was praying on the Woot gods for a deal like this. In for one when I get my paycheck a bit later today.

atlr

quality posts: 1 Private Messages atlr

I have preferred matte finishes on laptops but this description of BrightView is starting to change my mind.
A description of HP BrightView displays

Can anyone with a HP model with a BrightView screen finish comment?

pooptydoo

quality posts: 3 Private Messages pooptydoo
catherinemcclarey wrote:Radio Shack & BestBuy both have similarly-priced HP 15.6" laptops in this week's paper ads; both have similar specs to this 17.3" model, but with an AMD A4 CPU and no numeric keypad:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11891964&filterName=Screen+size&filterValue=15+inches
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/HP+-+Pavilion+Laptop+/+AMD+A-Series+Processor+/+15.6%26%2334%3B+Display+/+4GB+Memory+-+Pewter/3441359.p?id=1218402880816&skuId=3441359

not only that, but take a look at this

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=19198&CatId=4938

don't think posting that will cut into this deal any as its a different sort of laptop and has a smaller, more average quality display. but that is a great deal for $429 atm. still for strictly multimedia purposes the 17.3 inch "Briteview" display beats it

but anything else? other then the 640 gig HD, its got nothing on that Probook imo

do both these come with HP Quickweb? such a sweet program

Buck_Futter

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Buck_Futter

Usually, after a bye, you're supposed to come out refreshed and better than before.

Clearly, W00T has not heard of this before now.

HumanTarget

quality posts: 2 Private Messages HumanTarget

I like how the motherboards fail every 1 to 3 years... keeps you on your toes!

KyserSoze

quality posts: 18 Private Messages KyserSoze

My HP restore discs had to be made with my DVD's. I carefully made the discs, labeled them, put them in sleeves and put them in a safe place with all of the paperwork that came with the laptop. I didn't try to do a restore until a couple of years after the warranty ran out. When I tried to use them, a message came up saying that the DVD's weren't correct for the model of the laptop! Calls & emails to HP were a waste of time.

My advice:
Make the discs and do a restore immediately to make sure they work while you still have a warranty.

yosemitemtb

quality posts: 0 Private Messages yosemitemtb

I've had nothing but terrible luck from HP laptops. First one lasted about 6 months, returned for a new motherboard. That lasted about a year before it fried again. The screen would just go black. Got a new HP, should have known better. About a month after the warranty was up, it would only boot up when it felt like it. Try to boot 10 times, no display. Come back an hour later and it works.

loaba

quality posts: 31 Private Messages loaba

I need 4 cores please, and 8gb of RAM is my minimum standard these days as well. Also, onboard video is a no-no too.

Basically, at 17", this thing is a real game-playing tease. It should be good enough, but it's just not there. If it were a 15" screen size, I could justify the purchase.

danwat1234

quality posts: 5 Private Messages danwat1234

Hmm, doesn't look like it has an expresscard slot, so you can't add USB 3.0 ports, or a TV tuner if you ever wanted to. You have ESATA at least so external drives can reach their full potential.

danwat1234

loaba wrote:I need 4 cores please, and 8gb of RAM is my minimum standard these days as well. Also, onboard video is a no-no too.

Basically, at 17", this thing is a real game-playing tease. It should be good enough, but it's just not there. If it were a 15" screen size, I could justify the purchase.

How is the Radeon 6370 "onboard video"? I know it is probably not plugged into a MXM slot on the motherboard but it isn't "onboard". That would be an APU where the CPU and GPU logic are in 1 piece of silicon inside the CPU package. Which, btw, AMD is improving on with a technology called "Trinity".

This laptop supports up to 8GB of RAM and you can upgrade that for cheap.

fyxitman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fyxitman

I would NEVER own another HP ...sorry Woot ... notice it's refurbished also

saz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages saz

I bought this at Costco a while back, it has been a great performer. I am not a gamer, but it's fine for everyday tasks, dvd, YouTube, etc and an excellent desktop replacement.

technite

quality posts: 0 Private Messages technite

Can anyone confirm if this model has a finger print reader? I see it in the photo but not in the specs.

lyricmezzosoprano

quality posts: 3 Private Messages lyricmezzosoprano

My boyfriend bought the same exact one off of Woot a while ago for $699. It's great, pretty good for gaming, sounds awesome, and has really nice features. Definitely a wise choice, and if I had the funds on hand, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Oh, and I'd laugh at him for paying $300 more.

I wish I weren't so poor.

rosaesteb

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rosaesteb

first purchase on woot after receiving email from amazon- anyone have experience on the squaretrade extended warranty?

rookaloo

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rookaloo

we bought a Lenovo instead of HP because the HP reviews said the touchpad is wonky.

Julia Byrd Bishop

musicalman

quality posts: 7 Private Messages musicalman
atlr wrote:I have preferred matte finishes on laptops but this description of BrightView is starting to change my mind.

I'm using a 4060 right now with BrightView and I love it. I've had no problem with glare off the shiny screen and it really is bright. I've turned the brightness on mine down a fair bit.

As far as the sound conversation goes, the speakers on this aren't great, but the sound going into headphones is pretty stellar.

RickinDuxbury1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages RickinDuxbury1
jimdowner wrote:Its an HP and it is refurbished you will rue the day you bought it if anything goes wrong

A. Bought with an Amex card, 90 days gets doubled to 180.
B. Bought a Squaretrade warrantee after clicking through from Woot for $56.95 for year one and half that for year two, starting 181 days after today. After getting a 20% coupon from "Retailmenot", I ended up with 30 months of warrantee for under $70. I'm STILL into this thing for under $500, no tax and $5.00 to ship. I have had worse days. Now to go find something to blow all those savings on.

thesource85

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thesource85

i need a laptop to take to Afghanistan....this looks decent.

Dud

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Dud

This seems to be a good deal, even on a refurb but I too have been burned by HP in the past. I have had only two (2) laptop warranty issues in my life. #1 was a Dell ... the 2nd was an HP. Dell treated me well, in a timely (fast) manner and with respect. HP treated me in a way no customer should ever be treated.

I have owned at least 6 Dells since then ... and guess how many HPs?

HP ... when are you going to learn to treat your customers right? In my case it is too late to ever call me an HP customer again.

ruadog

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ruadog
atlr wrote:I have preferred matte finishes on laptops but this description of BrightView is starting to change my mind.

I bought an HP with this display and I returned it mostly because of the screen. It is VERY bright and VERY glossy. The colors were very nice and it probably would be great for watching movies or photo editing, but I needed a machine for business apps and it hurt my eyes the screen was so bright. You can turn down the brightness but that makes the whites turn greyish. I found the glare from the gloss to be incredibly annoying and distracting (although I admit I am very sensitive to both of these issues).

FWIW I ended up buying a ThinkPad and love its matte screen.

JerryBear

quality posts: 0 Private Messages JerryBear

Huge screen, Triple core, 9-cell battery, another WOOT to piss off the wife? SOLD!!!

51 Woots and counting...
and 18 shirt-Woots, too!

msteelee1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages msteelee1

Does this computer have a software package? What are the pre-installed software items?

RickinDuxbury1

danwat1234 wrote:How is the Radeon 6370 "onboard video"? I know it is probably not plugged into a MXM slot on the motherboard but it isn't "onboard". That would be an APU where the CPU and GPU logic are in 1 piece of silicon inside the CPU package. Which, btw, AMD is improving on with a technology called "Trinity".

This laptop supports up to 8GB of RAM and you can upgrade that for cheap.

No wonder I have no luck in bars. I need to be able to talk to women about all that stuff you just said, CPU's, GPU's, APU's and MXM slots. Maybe I need a wing man.

mjohns43

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mjohns43

I am in no way knowledgeable when it comes to electronics....is this a good buy?

It would be used at home and on daily basis to do pretty much everything.

RickinDuxbury1

msteelee1 wrote:Does this computer have a software package? What are the pre-installed software items?

check the link above to the product info page. Looks like lots of cd/dvd music and video software but I couldn't find anything about your standard MS Works or Outlook Express that you usually get. Anything you need can be downloaded cheap or free anyhow.

hushpuppy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hushpuppy

Prices continue to fall & don't forget Window 8 is coming in 2012

http://shopping.yahoo.com/articles/yshoppingarticles/721/computer-prices-keep-falling/

KNRG

quality posts: 5 Private Messages KNRG

I had the same thing on another laptop (that link you have points out it's not proprietary).

It works, it's bright, but i wouldn't go as far as to say it's a major upgrade from the norm. It's there, it works, that's about the extent of it.

It's actually harder to dim the monitor in low-light situations. It goes to a nice crisp black, but still "glows" a lot. If you're on a plane at night you'll be lit up like you've got your own personal spotlight.

dynamoned

quality posts: 4 Private Messages dynamoned
Disconnect wrote:Anyone know if it can be set up as a hackintosh?

It might be a little dicey - OSX is tuned to Intel hardware ever since they stopped using IBM's PowerPC. Since this machine is running an AMD Phenom II P860 triple-core, I not sure what problems you would run into with the differences in Intel's and AMD's micro-architectures. Then again, if you are going for a Hackintosh, you can probably find a semi-legit version of OSX that's been cracked for AMD hardware. However, YMMV.

bogus

quality posts: 11 Private Messages bogus
danwat1234 wrote:How is the Radeon 6370 "onboard video"? I know it is probably not plugged into a MXM slot on the motherboard but it isn't "onboard". That would be an APU where the CPU and GPU logic are in 1 piece of silicon inside the CPU package. Which, btw, AMD is improving on with a technology called "Trinity".

Looking up benchmarks tells me this graphics package is "okay", not great but still definitely better than terribad standard Intel integrated stuff. If I hadn't just blown my spare money on an apartment move, and were it another brand (I'm needing to upgrade partly because my current HP is buggy as hell) I'd be jumping on this.

mkentosh

quality posts: 309 Private Messages mkentosh

You call that pizza? Chicago Pizza is awful!

ctrlaltdefeat

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ctrlaltdefeat
pooptydoo wrote:not only that, but take a look at this

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=19198&CatId=4938

don't think posting that will cut into this deal any as its a different sort of laptop and has a smaller, more average quality display. but that is a great deal for $429 atm. still for strictly multimedia purposes the 17.3 inch "Briteview" display beats it

but anything else? other then the 640 gig HD, its got nothing on that Probook imo

do both these come with HP Quickweb? such a sweet program

Having purchased that Probook, I can tell you one crucial difference, which is the screen resolution. The 1366 x 768 max resolution is horrific. I feel like I'm using a child's toy everything is so big. The 1600 x 900 of this deal makes me consider switching.

msteelee1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages msteelee1
RickinDuxbury1 wrote:check the link above to the product info page. Looks like lots of cd/dvd music and video software but I couldn't find anything about your standard MS Works or Outlook Express that you usually get. Anything you need can be downloaded cheap or free anyhow.

Thanks, the link was very helpful.

danwat1234

RickinDuxbury1 wrote:No wonder I have no luck in bars. I need to be able to talk to women about all that stuff you just said, CPU's, GPU's, APU's and MXM slots. Maybe I need a wing man.

Ehh no it's not that important.. Just watch what Charlie does on 2.5 men. They hate electric cars too. Helps to have train horns on my Civic.
Sometimes I forget that this site isn't /.,tomshardware or anand.

devium

quality posts: 0 Private Messages devium

More importantly, is the Giordanno's Pizza included?