SeanFishsticks

quality posts: 2 Private Messages SeanFishsticks

So someone posted a link to this one on Amazon and it got OK reviews:
http://www.amazon.com/LifeSmart-LS1500-4-Infrared-Quartz-Heater/dp/B005K8LEAM/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1320210089&sr=1-1-catcorr

Amazon also has this one with the same name, same product description, but with a wooden exterior:
http://www.amazon.com/LifeSmart-LS1500-4-Infrared-Quartz-Heater/dp/B004FDTH4I

The 2nd one is a lot more money and received terrible reviews... so aside from the exterior, what's the difference performance wise? One would think that if it is the same product, albeit a different exterior, that it would garner the same reviews... who's reviews should be trusted?

shanebo1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shanebo1

Anyone know if this heater kicks on and off automatically? I want a heater to put in my kid's room that I can turn on at night, set to a certain temperature, that will kick on when it gets colder than the setting, and then kick off when it gets higher than that setting -- I don't want something that will run all night, nor do I want to wake up and turn it off and on in the night. (I have a feeling that this heater does not do what I want.) TIA.

ReginaFilangee

quality posts: 8 Private Messages ReginaFilangee

Well, pooh. I recently ordered (and received just last night) one almost exactly like this....same brand even....for $85 more. Mine does have a much nicer-looking wooden cabinet, however. But if I had seen this one first, I could live with the plastic cover and spent the extra $85 on another roll or two of insulation and/or wiring for my storage building that I'm converting into office space and temporary sleeping quarters while my house is being worked on.

May the Crap be with you all!!!

paragua

quality posts: 1 Private Messages paragua

My last name starts with S and I live in Wisconsin--what time should I log in to order mine?

crowpatrol

quality posts: 0 Private Messages crowpatrol

InfraRed heaters work by heating objects rather than the air. When the element glows, it emits IR which goes thru the air without heating it. The IR will hit an object and heat that object. The object will heat the air by disipating the heat gained from the IR. The efficiency is that objects retain heat better than air, which can be lost thru that open window or door. So indeed, it will keep those French Fries hot!

Crow Patrol

almirar

quality posts: 7 Private Messages almirar

Ceramic heaters are better, cheaper, more efficient:

http://www.pelonis.com/faq.htm

Q: What makes PELONIS Ceramic Disc Furnaces more effective than other portable heaters with the same electrical ratings?

A: PELONIS Disc Furnaces deliver the hottest airflow - They combine the high air temperature of a radiant heater but in a forced air system. For example, if you have a heater nearby directing hot air towards you and the airflow temperature is equal to your body temperature (say 98.6 degrees Fahrenheit), you FEEL NOTHING simply because you absorb no energy from the heating source. If the airflow is somewhat higher than your body temperature (say 120 degrees Fahrenheit), then you FEEL warmer. But if the airflow is much higher, say 212 degrees Fahrenheit, then you really FEEL THE HEAT. This simply means that you absorb much more energy from the heating source. The air coming out of the typical forced air heater would be at about 120 degrees Fahrenheit. But in the case of the PELONIS Disc Furnace the temperature of that airflow can reach as high as 250 degrees Fahrenheit.

PELONIS Disc Furnaces have the smallest volume per BTU - This is a very desirable feature for a portable heater so that it does not stand in anybody's way. As an example of size, it is characteristic to note that for the heating needs of a properly insulated house of 1,200 sq. ft., 3 PELONIS disc furnaces are sufficient for ambient temperatures of about 54 degrees Fahrenheit to 59 degrees Fahrenheit.

PELONIS Disc Furnaces are extremely safe to operate - They do not use conventional heating elements but rather semiconductors. These semiconductor discs are made of barium titanate ceramic material coated with brass and silver which are very good conductors of electricity. As the temperature of the disc heating element is increased, its resistance also increases. This results in a decrease of the current flow. With this self-regulating nature of the heating element, its temperature will not increase to more than about 380 degrees Fahrenheit. This temperature is called the Curie temperature. Safety is thus assured because the ignition point of most materials is approximately 453 degrees Fahrenheit.

garryu

quality posts: 0 Private Messages garryu

Yes, a traditional quartz heater will only heat what it's pointed at, but this type of heater actually does heat the air. The infrared bulbs heat the thin metal walls of the heat chamber, then a fan blows air through the chamber, creating a warm air output.

kpk021

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kpk021

On the fence.. firstly, not all heaters are the same. The difference is in how the heat is dispersed throughout the area, along with how hot the area right around the heater is (safety).

Traditionally, an infrared heater heats objects which then in turn heat the air. Other heater types (ceramic, etc.) heat the air which ultimately heats the objects in the area. If you are maintaining the same temperature all of the time, it matters less. But typically you are looking to heat the objects (and yourself), and infrared will make the room feel warmer very quickly.

I can say with certainty that the 1500 watt infrared heater I have on the wall on my garage heats it up a whole heck of a lot quicker than my little 1500 watt ceramic heater would. More importantly, it's heating the things I wanted warmer right away. 30 minutes of it running in the morning before I leave for work in the winter makes the car feel much more comfortable even if the overall room temperature isn't changed as much in that time.

With all of that said, I still haven't decided whether these style of infrared heaters would work as well. Mine is little more than a light bulb with a reflective backing. Trying to cover everything up would seem to defeat the main benefit of infrared heating. I could see the copper tubing of the Eden Pure possibly accomplishing something but this one doesn't seem to have the same stuff. If the technology works, the Eden Pure looks like it would do a much better job.

Ultimately no electric option will even compare to gas in terms of cost efficient heating. If I did more work in my garage, I'd stick in a gas fueled infrared heater for the best of both worlds.

7wootboy45

quality posts: 1 Private Messages 7wootboy45

I've used a DeLonghi DCH4590ER for years.

Oscillating fan, remote control, smart power levels, thermostat setting and tip-over switch.

The design is a little problematic as the base is pretty narrow for the height of the unit.

There are alternatives to boxy floor heaters.

gbinman

quality posts: 6 Private Messages gbinman

Too ugly for me.

I have a space heater but seldom use it. My central HVAC does a nice job.

Here are a couple places that sell this brand.

Home Depot

Northern Tool

garryu

quality posts: 0 Private Messages garryu
shanebo1 wrote:Anyone know if this heater kicks on and off automatically? I want a heater to put in my kid's room that I can turn on at night, set to a certain temperature, that will kick on when it gets colder than the setting, and then kick off when it gets higher than that setting -- I don't want something that will run all night, nor do I want to wake up and turn it off and on in the night. (I have a feeling that this heater does not do what I want.) TIA.

This heater has a thermostat that will keep the air a constant temperature (within a few degrees). If I've read it correctly, the fan runs constantly (and quietly). The heating element turns off and on depending on the temperature.

nadshuge

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nadshuge

Will this heat a 30ft x 30ft garage in the winter?

frugalfreak

quality posts: 13 Private Messages frugalfreak
danwat1234 wrote:+1 !

The only heating device better than 100% efficient are heat pump systems (That can be more than 300%) efficient and other heat exchanging devices.

at many many times the cost of a couple of ceramic heaters.

in the end, intial and overall costs are cheaper with ceramic heaters vs cost, parts, maintenance of heat pump.

heat pump offers more whole house warmth at much higher cost.

Sparklejinx

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Sparklejinx
sixiam wrote:Guys don't bother with this. Get an oil filled radiator. They are pure awesome! They hold the heat, have multiple settings, and work really well for heating a cold room. Works well in Pittsburgh for the winter, wait make that fall, mine is on right now!

Here is one on Amazon for $70(same max wattage):
http://www.amazon.com/Delonghi-TRD0715T-Safe-Oil-Filled-Radiator/dp/B000A33B1C/

Agreed. See Consumer Report's reviews of the similar buut more expensive EdenPure Gen 3 Model 1000 space heater... "isn't heating paradise in a box" http://bit.ly/vA9533

Consider also one of the less expensive mica flat space geaters (such as modes from Bionaire, DeLonghi) or ceramic models from Lasko that provide heat in a room. Several good models at the big box stores and Amazon, and even better with discount coupons from the likes of BBB.

If you have a Harbor Frieght near you, their popular mini Ceramic Heater is on sale (http://bit.ly/srFyeJ) as is their 1500 Watt Oscillating Ceramic Heater (http://bit.ly/sKFDCf)

woottacular5566

quality posts: 2 Private Messages woottacular5566
editorkid wrote:So maybe this isn't the use Woot envisioned for this, but is 1500 watts enough to keep my french fries hot while my cheeseburger finishes cooking?

Yes, Yes it is

TCayer

quality posts: 9 Private Messages TCayer

CURSE YOU WOOT!! I JUST bought one of these, and received it yesterday! I paid $182 shipped. It's true that you can't compare apples to oranges when talking about heaters. This one uses infrared and blows forced heated air, heating a much large space than, say, an oil filled or electric space heater. The one I bought is similar in specs, but has a wooden case. It doesn't get hot to the touch, but heats our entire downstairs area, which is three large open rooms. It's rated to heat a 1500 square foot area. The other 1500 watt heaters I've tried don't work nearly as well. Just a note: It's not super-heated air, so it takes a little while to bring the temp up, but as an example- I've raised the temp in my whole downstairs 5 degrees in about 3 hours. As a bonus, I have it in the room where my thermostat is located, thus keeping the furnace from coming on as often. This is a great price, as I shopped around before I bought. You won't find one cheaper than this. If I could return the one I bought without a big hassle, I would and get this one for half of what I spent! D'oh! WOOT!

TCayer

quality posts: 9 Private Messages TCayer
nadshuge wrote:Will this heat a 30ft x 30ft garage in the winter?

The one I have, which is similar, is rated for a 1500 square foot area. If it's open and not an area like a second floor with separate bedrooms, it would work well.

kthernandez

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kthernandez

I purchased a very similar heater 2 years ago and while it's not an energy saver, it does seem to be a little more efficient in heating a room than other types of heaters. The heat produced is very even and it does not seem to dry out the air as much. It's not a miracle solution, however, so don't expect a dramatic difference in overall room-warming from standard heaters.

If what you want is a spot-heater, such as near a bed or chair, it works well. Do be mindful that it still needs some clearance to avoid risk of fire, but is definitely safer than most cheap heaters.

You do have to be careful about letting the fan run to cool off the heater before unplugging it, and you must clean the air filter on it weekly, or you'll damage it.

Woots: Hantech Tablo for Laptops, Non-Contact Handheld Infrared Thermometer, Acer Aspire One Ultra Portable Notebook, Gyration Ultra GT Compact Keyboard Suite

bradfish06

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bradfish06

Except that you forgot the part of physics where it explains that some of that light from the TV and light bulb is also some of the energy from the 1500 watts.

Your logic is not exactly correct here, but close.

alexsiwiec wrote:Don't be fooled that this is more "efficient." It's exactly as efficient as all electric heaters: 100%. It turns 100% of the 1500 watts it burns into heat, exactly like any other heater. Discussion of whether it feels warmer or cooler than other heaters is inane, as we can quantify EXACTLY how warm it is. 1500 watts.

In other words, this will add the exact same 5200 btus to your room any other electric device of 1500 watts would add (yes, including light bulbs, TVs, etc). This is just basic physics.

kcmark

quality posts: 25 Private Messages kcmark
Burning-Chrome wrote:Infrared heating typically heats "things", but NOT the air in between. That's how infrared saunas work as well as the infrared sources in restaurant buffets that keep the slab of beef hot.

The only "thing" these types of infrared heaters heat up is the copper (which takes various forms depending upon the brand/model) inside. Cold air passes over and around the copper (which has been heated by the IR lamps) and then the air is warmed and the fan blows it out the front.

None of these types of infrared heaters (this one, EdenPure, SunTwin, Solar Comfort, etc...) are infrared heaters in the sense that infrared rays are directed at your body and warm your skin. They don't work that way. Look at any of the inside diagrams and you'll see that these infrared heaters are used to heat metal (usually copper) on the inside of the heater, which in turn heats the air passing by the heated metal. The use of copper makes these more expensive than the average heater, as well as the cache of having an infrared heater.

woottacular5566

nadshuge wrote:Will this heat a 30ft x 30ft garage in the winter?

It will probably heat a 1/4 of the room, just aim it at the bench you're currently working on

robbob1956

quality posts: 0 Private Messages robbob1956

Do these need to be vented?

mkstn1400

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mkstn1400
rxbike@gmail.com wrote:Is this like the Eden Pure ones that Bob Villa always try to sell ?

Only Eden Pure makes a quality unit. They cost a lot more but they work a lot better. I have two Eden Purs units and a friend has an Eden Pure and one of these off brands. He says the off brand is too loud and does not heat like the Eden Pure. Basically a WASTE OF MONEY.

steveg89

quality posts: 0 Private Messages steveg89

I had nothing but problems with these heaters. I got a pair when they were all the craze a few years ago. They were great for heating a single room, until they died. I went through probably 10 replacements from the company before I gave up and just quit phoning in for a new one. They'd inexplicably quit heating and/or turning on randomly, after 1-6 months of regular use. If you do decide to get one, keep the companies number handy.

Bacondoggy

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Bacondoggy

A few things:

First of all EVERYONE STOP ASKING THE SAME QUESTIONS!!! They have been answered.

Now if you want a heater like this, go buy a $30 one (again mentioned by many)

I personally think there are 2 practical options:

Oil filled portable heaters are great. Take longer to heat up but makes the whole room cozy.

If you want a "point and shoot" heater, get a parabolic heater (one that looks like a circle sat. dish with the heater core.

LISTEN!!! Both I mentioned above are quiet as no fan is needed. Parabolics are very directional and work great if not better WITH NO SOUND.
Or get an oil one to heat the whole room.

ENOUGH SAID (except this is a rip off).

Bacondoggy

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Bacondoggy

Another thing to consider for the "special" people who buy or want these.

What's the cost for a replacement element for these? Probably not cheap at all since they are in copper (unless the copper is a sleeve and not sealed).

FOR PEOPLE WHO DONT KNOW QUARTZ ELEMENTS BURN OUT JUST LIKE LIGHTBULBS!!!

vagel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vagel
anmeeks wrote:Great calculation! Well, that is a 100% accurate estimate for the fuel factor and the power company does present the fuel factor outright as a rate. But that fuel factor is only a fraction of what your actual bill becomes. I wish I had a bill handy to look at but several other variables are dependent on the amount of electricity you are using. And the power company will not give you a figure on how much per kilowatt you're paying on those. There is at least a generation fee as I recall mixed in with everything. I think the easiest method to figure in whole cost per kilowatt for your power would be to look at your total monthly kilowatt usage and divide the amount you have to pay for it. It comes out a bit higher than figuring in just the fuel factor of $.11/kwh. For ten hours of this heater on high you would be using 1.5kwh. So for every 6.6 hours you are using 1kwh. Take that number you got off your power bill and multiply. Now if you already have a low power bill you're going to realize a slight better rate because a few of those charges are fixed costs on the power bill, but if you're already paying $100/month then what you're paying per kilowatt hour now is going to be about the same as what you're paying per kilowatt hour when it hits $200/month.

I just got my bill for an empty condo last month and was curious what the charges would be given I'm not actively living there.

$40 total but only $8 was for actual energy use. Transmission, generation fees and tax came to $32. There's a variable and a fixed cost portion in all energy bills now.

Still, this thing running on hi for a month would be less expensive than my auxillary heat running on the heat pump. Not bad really.

mshuard

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mshuard
tesla33 wrote:Kind of a scam, I'm afraid. Quartz infrared heaters have been around for a long time. If you only need your exposed skin to feel warm while you sit near it, fine - but this one is overpriced. And just one setting of 1500 watts?!? That tells me two things: it doesn't heat at all well unless it's really sucking all the current from the outlet circuit, and it's not very expensively made. Get a good ceramic fan-forced heater with multiple heat settings and an electronic thermostat for less than the half the price of this...

Seriously.. Read the specs on the product. It uses quartz infrared heating elements in a heat exchanger to heat the air that passes through it. If it was an infrared heater without a heat exchanger.. I would agree with you that it would heat the surrounding objects.

phildac

quality posts: 0 Private Messages phildac
ernesto47 wrote:1500 watts? it needs at least 20 amp dedicated circuit.

It does NOT need a 20-Amp circuit. 1500-Watts only pulls 13.6-Amps on a 110-Volt circuit. I wouldn't suggest running a microwave on the same circuit as the heater.

"Simply plug into a standard 110V outlet and enjoy a clean healthy even heat"

woottacular5566

In for 1 !

Looks like they sell for $180 after tax+shipping elsewhere. Cheapest Ebay price is $140 with free shipping.

The digital controls make it much safer to use than my current $25 and $50 1500W ceramic electric heaters from Target. I need instant heat for 20 minutes in the morning while I sip my coffee and wait for the car to warm up then an hour or so at night while the wood furnace starts heating up.

I live in the Sierra Mountains near Tahoe (California) and use 2 electric space heaters, 2 electric blankets, an electric stovetop range, 2 electric ovens, 1 65" projection tv, multiple computers/media centers, HID lighting in every room, electric washer and dryer, etc, and my power bill is never over $100 a month in the winter.

Just be smart about your usage. If you leave these running for 12 hours a day, 7 days a week, you will not save money going this route. But it beats using gas to heat 6 rooms when I only use 1 at a time...I'll save the propane for when the power goes out

If you want to save money on your heating bills this winter - buy everyone in your home an electric blanket and turn the thermostat down to 65 degrees when people are home and 45-50 degrees when nobody is home (just enough to keep pipes from freezing). Then turn your water heater to LOW. If someone objects, buy them a sweater for Christmas

If you live in an older home, have cheap wiring, live in a trailer, etc, then watch your major appliance usage if you don't know which circuit you plugged this thing into. At 1500 watts, there isn't much room for other things to run. But I've lived in 4 places using these and only the smallest apartment would trip the breaker if I used an electric heater and the older stationary electric oven at the same time. Each and every place did trip the breaker when 3 heaters were being run on the same circuit

I also recommend buying a mechanical timer ($8 @ Lowes/Home Depot) and set the timer for about 2 hours after you plan on being asleep each night and then to turn back on when you come home from work, etc, so you won't run the risk of running 1500 watts for an extended period of time for no reason. If you are really good with electrical connections, then installing a timer on an electric Water Heater to only heat water for 30 minutes in the morning (shower) and 30 minutes at night (laundry, dishes, whatever) will also save you a ton of money and you will have hot water when you need it.

This heater would have also been great for winters in the dorm rooms at college when they had issues with the heating system.

I only expect this heater to warm an area of about 8x5 Ft while pointed at me (and the dogs) in the lounger and I think it will do just fine.

emeycakes

quality posts: 11 Private Messages emeycakes

Is it just me, or is a 25,000 hour life span really pretty short for a $100 heater? That's about 1041 24 hour days. Where I live, I might want this thing running 6 months out of the year (October-March). So it'd last less than 6 years. Am I the only one feels like this should last much longer than that?

twizted895

quality posts: 0 Private Messages twizted895

I own 2 of these heaters, they work great. I keep on in the basement and one upstairs, never had a problem with them and they work amazing.

ReginaFilangee

quality posts: 8 Private Messages ReginaFilangee
sixiam wrote:Guys don't bother with this. Get an oil filled radiator. They are pure awesome! They hold the heat, have multiple settings, and work really well for heating a cold room. Works well in Pittsburgh for the winter, wait make that fall, mine is on right now!

I was going to go that way except for they get HOT HOT HOT to the touch. I'm talking burned-skin hot or potential fire if the draperies get too close hot. Not good for small spaces where someone or something might accidentally bump into it. This heater (mine has a wooden cabinet) is cool to the touch, while still generating plenty of heat.

May the Crap be with you all!!!

woottacular5566

emeycakes wrote:Is it just me, or is a 25,000 hour life span really pretty short for a $100 heater? That's about 1041 24 hour days. Where I live, I might want this thing running 6 months out of the year (October-March). So it'd last less than 6 years. Am I the only one feels like this should last much longer than that?

It is common for a home electric heater, a propane fireplace, or a wood pellet stove for $3000-$6000 installed - will need updates / repairs / replacement within 10 years. I bought a propane heater new for $3500, installation was only $500 because I already had a smoke stack installed. And I've had to have things replaced on it within 3 years of purchase - to make it function.

This heater is portable and disposable. No installation, no costs except electricity, and if it works for a couple years then great! Toss it out when it stops working and get another one. $100 is about the most I would spend on a 1500w heater. And only because it has electric controls.

justjeepin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages justjeepin

My Mom, Aunt, and two cousins all have the EdenPure heaters and they are wonderful. My Mom's will heatup a 900sq ft basement in a short amount of time. I've been wanting one but didn't want to pay the high price of the EdenPure and this heater uses the exact same technology.

mattlscc

quality posts: 34 Private Messages mattlscc

Wow, these must be popular... I'll have to check them out in person...

themonkeypod

quality posts: 0 Private Messages themonkeypod

These are a scam....I used to manufacture parts for a company who was making these in the US. They gave us a couple to use in our homes...they are bogus, they barely add heat to my 10' x 10' computer room. They are warm if you stand directly in front of it. Also, read the print..all of the ads for these read "heats 1000 sqft.....thats impossible. You can't heat sq ft. heat works in cu. ft. It a bogus way to make you think this will heat a portion of you house.
The formula for Square feet is:
length × width

The formula for Cubic feet is:
length × width × height

jxkoepk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jxkoepk
Spectral wrote:

Brilliant!! I was just thinking the EXACT same thing!!

jamesbe2759

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jamesbe2759

WHY IS THE GOOD STUFF ALWAYS "SOLD OUT". DO THEY ONLY OFFER 5 OF THEM?

kcmark

quality posts: 25 Private Messages kcmark
akozak84 wrote:Been doing a lot of research on these. The fact is that a 1500-watt heater is a perfect conversion to heat. In other words, a 1500-watt Edenpure will heat EXACTLY like a 1500-watt lifeSMART. Do yourself a favor, don't be fooled by Edenpure. If you bought an Edenpure, you got suckered into it. These are a great deal. I'm in for 2. Glad I waited, I almost bought the same thing at Home Depot for $200 each. Hot deal!

This is 100% wrong. I'm not saying the Edenpure is any better than this one, it might actually be worse, but this will NOT heat exactly like the Edenpure or any other infrared floor heater like this, unless they are manufactured identically.

You have to first understand how these work. They work by having infrared lamps emitting IR rays which heat up metal (typically copper) inside the heater housing. A fan then sucks cool room air in the back of the unit and blows it across the heated metal to warm it and spit it out the front.

How warm the air is coming out is dependent upon the design and volume of metal heated up by the IR lamps inside the housing. For example, you could use 1500watts of IR lamps and only heat up a single piece of solid copper and it would not transfer nearly as much heat to the air blowing by as you would get if your 1500 watts of IR lamps were heating up smartly designed pieces of copper with LOTS of surface area to absorb the IR rays. Without understanding what heat-absorbing metal/material, and the design of such metal/material, you simply cannot say that this heats better than or worse than any of the other IR heaters out there that look like this on the outside.

In short, the difference in the amount of heat this, versus other similar style IR heaters, puts out is dependent upon its heat transfer ability. 1500 (or 750) watts of electricity is being converted into IR light (via infrared bulbs), the IR light is converted to heat as the light hits heat-absorbing material (copper, stainless steel, etc...). The heat in the metal then is transferred to the cold air passing by the metal and this warmed air makes your room feel warmer.