WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Have you ever looked down at the shirt you had on and asked "where in tarnation did this come from, anyway?"

We have, but we were only talking about a weird stain (which turned out to be barbecue sauce). Because we know EXACTLY where our shirts come from. They're all printed in, packaged at, and shipped out of our bustling Dallas area production facility! come take the video tour!

Watch for more "How Woot Works" videos in the weeks to come! We're looking forward to giving you more and longer peeks under the hood of this little custom-built e-commerce jalopy we call Woot.

If you like this video, you may also enjoy the one about where our product photos come from. See it here:

http://www.woot.com/blog/viewentry.aspx?id=19358

Quality Posts

curtise

quality posts: 20 Private Messages curtise

Neat-o!

I also would like one of those folding machines, please...

-=C=-

theguruguys

quality posts: 276 Private Messages theguruguys

Ok, next up. How woot makes the stupid woot.com video podcasts. I want to know, did you guys used to work for the 'You Don't Know Jack' PC game back in the day. The intro jingle, narration, etc sound so similar.

Darquis

quality posts: 27 Private Messages Darquis

Was that shirt one of the rare non-daily shirts? I don't recall it ever being for sale at shirt.woot

faughtey

quality posts: 20 Private Messages faughtey

Staff

Ooh, awesome new monkey shirts... I want one!

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown

night0wl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages night0wl

This video is both impressive and maddening to me. I love seeing your screen press setup, but then to know you make your own screen printings and not offer shirts in a size that fits me, makes me sad.
Yes I could lose weight and all that jazz, but I'm sure I'm not the only person in here statistically challenged by the limitations of shirt sizes. Are you going to ask one guy to be taller, and another to be narrower?

More variety in shirt sizes! Yes, I know stock would be an issue, make them limited run in that case. I would love to purchase shirts more often when they feature these incredible designs, but as it is I just look at the pretty pictures and imagine the things I'll never buy.

terraguy

quality posts: 6 Private Messages terraguy

Very cool, especially seeing a mostly automated facility (I've been in a very small one where you have to do every single thing by hand, with the exception of the screens).

I'm kind of surprised you place the shirts on by hand, but I guess it saves you money from buying a really fancy screen printing machine that loads shirts and what not, especially considering the small output of your facility.

Adorialea

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Adorialea

Wow, I didn't realize how much work went into a Woot shirt. Makes me look at them a little differently now! As in, "Wow, a lot of work went into this. I shouldn't use it to wash my car."

:-)

firebirdude

quality posts: 19 Private Messages firebirdude

I........LOVE...... the how Woot works wideos! MOAR!

adhurt

quality posts: 14 Private Messages adhurt

How do I get THAT shirt?

"Never underestimate the power of human stupidity..." Lazarus Long

edhorch

quality posts: 0 Private Messages edhorch

I'd like to know how you got started. That's not cheap gear. Did you buy an existing production plant, or did you build all that out yourselves? If you get out of the shirt business, will that plant be part of a Bountiful Overflowing Cornucopia

equazcion

quality posts: 65 Private Messages equazcion

Am I the only one who's more confused than before?

Have you been eating that sandwich again?

heffer

quality posts: 3 Private Messages heffer

Very interesting! I love the behind the scenes stuff.

capfund

quality posts: 0 Private Messages capfund

Sweet! Now I know how my shirt will print if it wins!!!!!!

llamabox

quality posts: 36 Private Messages llamabox

Answers! We need answers! These shirts belong to us?? Take my monies!! Now!

I noticed the run date said 8-30-11 (if I read it correctly on the clipboard). So what up Woot?

Make your own damn beer

bpeterson82

quality posts: 52 Private Messages bpeterson82

This. Moar this!!!

alftuba

quality posts: 1 Private Messages alftuba

Seriously, how do I buy the shirt that was made in this video?

geeq

quality posts: 2 Private Messages geeq

Seriously... Want this shirt

bpeterson82

quality posts: 52 Private Messages bpeterson82

I am guessing these are for random shirt days or future Bountiful Overflowing Cornucopia.

xnifex

quality posts: 1 Private Messages xnifex
llamabox wrote:I noticed the run date said 8-30-11 (if I read it correctly on the clipboard). So what up Woot?

yes that's the date listed.

I want one of these shirts too!!!

zarahemla

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zarahemla

That is incredibly interesting. I now know .01% more about making shirts than I knew before (which was nothing).

rayray099

quality posts: 6 Private Messages rayray099

Wow. There's a shirt printing place across from where a live, and they always have their slider doors open. I've gotten the urge to dash in and snatch a shirt off the press before...I won't, now. Respect!
Awesome vids of behind the curtain. Almost like a Riff Trax!

Narfcake

quality posts: 279 Private Messages Narfcake
edhorch wrote:I'd like to know how you got started. ...

The pics are no longer there, but read this old blog post for their setup and equivalent costs.

Also, some very old videos ...

SESteve

quality posts: 15 Private Messages SESteve
theguruguys wrote:I want to know, did you guys used to work for the 'You Don't Know Jack' PC game back in the day. The intro jingle, narration, etc sound so similar.

I have also noticed the similarities but was always too lazy to post a comment. If they didn't used to work for YDKJ, they were certainly heavily influenced.

artgirl929

quality posts: 1 Private Messages artgirl929

Awesome video! Thanks wootdudes!

meepee

quality posts: 33 Private Messages meepee

1000 SUNS!
Cool video :D

scoobykidd

quality posts: 0 Private Messages scoobykidd

You could have included this red woot launch shirt pic from
http://shirt.woot.com/Forums/ViewPost.aspx?PostID=1452698
in the video.

shover

quality posts: 5 Private Messages shover
curtise wrote:Neat-o!

I also would like one of those folding machines, please...

-=C=-

How about a manual version?

http://www.suck.uk.com/products/tshirtfolder/#gallery

rom

quality posts: 54 Private Messages rom

awesome video! thanks woot!

I like that you still use American Apparel unlike Threadless. I love AA thicker fabrics. Go Woot!

Please also sell hoodies/fleece jackets often

Tiamat114

quality posts: 48 Private Messages Tiamat114

I really enjoyed watching that video. I took a class in school about Graphic Design and we did a project on screen printing. Woot does it the exact same way that I remember doing it myself by hand step by step, minus the automatic screen printer. I had to do that by hand with a squeegee! Still, it was really something that stuck with me that I enjoyed, even if it was quite some time ago. Thanks for bringing those memories back Woot!

PocketBrain

quality posts: 44 Private Messages PocketBrain

Wait... fold a Woot shirt at home? Don't we all hang them?

Flipit

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Flipit

Staff

terraguy wrote:...I'm kind of surprised you place the shirts on by hand, but I guess it saves you money from buying a really fancy screen printing machine that loads shirts and what not...

No such thing. This part of the process has always been manual in any shop I've ever been in.

threeshirts

quality posts: 1 Private Messages threeshirts

You bought on a folding machine, then jam the shirt into a plastic bag toss it in a giant cardboard box then hand it over to a delivery service that mechanically terrororizes and occasionally violates packages? I have a money saving suggestion, just have that person pull from the dryer and jam it in the bag, put the folder up on ebay and send me half of the money for saving you time and cash.

matthalbig

quality posts: 0 Private Messages matthalbig

i want that shirt!

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
Tiamat114 wrote:I really enjoyed watching that video. I took a class in school about Graphic Design and we did a project on screen printing. Woot does it the exact same way that I remember doing it myself by hand step by step, minus the automatic screen printer. I had to do that by hand with a squeegee! Still, it was really something that stuck with me that I enjoyed, even if it was quite some time ago. Thanks for bringing those memories back Woot!

Did you have to do masks by hand also?
That photo etcher beats all hell out of a template and X-acto knife.

move along

K9itty

quality posts: 1 Private Messages K9itty

I love these How Woot Works videos! I didn't even know Woot did their own screen printing which is awesome!

Flipit

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Flipit

Staff

K9itty wrote:...I didn't even know Woot did their own screen printing...

Next month we'll show you how we grow our own cotton...

ksapp82

quality posts: 7 Private Messages ksapp82

When will we get the answer to how do I get one of those shirts?

woot.com = 11 woots
shirt.woot = 31 woots
sellout.woot = 3 woots
kids.woot = 4 woots
home.woot = 2 woot
Shirt Trades/Sold = 7/9

matthew

quality posts: 20 Private Messages matthew
ksapp82 wrote:When will we get the answer to how do I get one of those shirts?

I don't think you can, sadly. The screens are probably still around, so maybe if you got enough of your friends to clamor loudly enough, they'll print some more. But I wouldn't get my hopes up too high.

bck9900

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bck9900

Dear Woot. I want the monkey shirt. Por favor please????