mbrickell

quality posts: 9 Private Messages mbrickell
outdoorslife wrote:Having played and rooted several tablets, the xoom is a nice unit overall. However I come over to woot! to get great deals, not 5.75% off on an item.

Walmart - in stock - $349 . Woot $329

At a pp of $249 (about 30% lower than Walmart) I would have gotten 2 or 3 of them as "top" Xmas gifts. With BF around the corner and new stuff coming out, this price just doesn't inspire unfortunately.

I know you can do better woot!

You'll likely pay sales tax to Wally World that you save on Woot. Prolly another 7-8% depending on where you live. Assuming you live in a tax free Woot area.

jaggersae

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jaggersae

I bet TWO of the refurbished ones sold through Woot were previously in my household. I won one of these at a conference, and I've had to send it in to get a replacement not once, but twice. It was free and still not worth the price!

ajamacus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ajamacus

Sam's Club has this for $449. Woot is a great deal!

joecooool

quality posts: 24 Private Messages joecooool

I bought mine the last time it was offered here. I had a GTablet that even after I hacked it was not very user friendly.

I also have an iPhone 4 and my wife an iPad2 that I played with all the time.

I love my Xoom. I use it to check my email, surf the web, and watch movies. Unlike the iPad2 where you have to go through iTunes to buy a movie, the Xoom allows you to download movies off your desktop in AVI format. I use Vuze to download movies and and then transfer them over.

Just about every app I have for my iPhone has the same or equal app in the Android market.

I can't see any difference in speed or screen resolution between the Xoom and the iPad2.

One HUGE difference between the two though is that you can not get a GPS or any location services on the Wifi only iPad2. You have to get the one with 3G service. Apparently the GPS and cell service are on the same component. The Xoom does not suffer this problem, the Wifi only version comes with GPS and location services.

I haven't read all the other comments but I'm sure someone else has probably mentioned that Motorola has already announced that this device will get the new Ice Cream Sandwich version of Android operating system probably in a couple of months. That means this device will remain current for at least the next couple of years.

If you are looking for a tablet, I can't recommend this one strongly enough.

mtphono

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mtphono

Bought one of these last time around (for $349) and absolutely LOVE IT! Great item and great deal.

crooner

quality posts: 1 Private Messages crooner

Can the battery be replaced by the user (without a workbench and tools)?? Many of these type devices are difficult (on purpose, I think).

dthacker9

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dthacker9

Looks like the same refurbished tablet would cost you 384.99 at Newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834209002

Pondering while I wait for the button to start bouncing.....

SchmidtyS101

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SchmidtyS101
tiger4062 wrote:Nice unit. Nice price. Can anyone suggest a good, reasonably priced portfolio type cover for it?

I use the Belkin Slim folio stand and I love it. Here's a video run down on it someone posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etm0UFI5Dj8

ljcarr1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ljcarr1

Nice job woot, I purchased one a few monhs back when you listed it for $349. I've had an Android equipped phone for the last two years and this thing works just as great! Love the OS, my only complaint is the non-functioning SD card slot. I hear a patch is coming soon.

jwads922

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jwads922
tiger4062 wrote:Nice unit. Nice price. Can anyone suggest a good, reasonably priced portfolio type cover for it?

I just bought this case on amazon.

I love it. Very high quality. Seems durable. Does add a little weight to the unit, but it's worth it for the great protection.

outdoorslife

quality posts: 8 Private Messages outdoorslife
mbrickell wrote:You'll likely pay sales tax to Wally World that you save on Woot. Prolly another 7-8% depending on where you live. Assuming you live in a tax free Woot area.

Yup… Tax free state… I tend to forget others get hit by sales tax… but wouldn't woot charge you sales tax to your state also???

mbrickell

ajamacus wrote:Sam's Club has this for $449. Woot is a great deal!

Sam's has refurbished Xooms?

jennaba423

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jennaba423

Here's a good link that compares the Android Market to the Apple app store: http://www.androidauthority.com/google-android-market-vs-apple-itunes-app-store-26281/

To summarize: the Android operating system (which the Xoom uses) has many more apps available than Apple -- and many more FREE apps, at that.

Regarding videochatting with friends: when the next version of Android [Ice Cream Sandwich] comes out this month [and a previous poster here confirmed that it will indeed be rolled out to the Xoom, although I don't know the date], users will be able to use Google HangOut to video chat with multiple users at the same time. There are actually a LOT of cool new 'social' features in Ice Cream Sandwich that your daughter would probably love -- you can see more details & a video summary at android.com

Re: making calls -- someone else will have to provide their input, as I'm not a tablet expert [I'm still in the shopping process myself, though I know I will definitely get an Android device if I do decide to get a tablet at all]. I know you can use Google Voice on tablets, but that's about all I can contribute to this topic.

Hope this helps!

aghosheh wrote:Excuse me for this stupid question. What about apps? My 11 year old daughter has an IPOD Touch and there are tons of apps for her my wife and me too (Medical stuff and business). She can also use it as a phone, not iPhone but there is an app for free minutes and she can dial it up, She can talk to her friends live with pictures around the world over the wifi and much more amazing things. What about this? are there any apps or just internet and pictures?

mbrickell

outdoorslife wrote:Yup… Tax free state… I tend to forget others get hit by sales tax… but wouldn't woot charge you sales tax to your state also???

No tax for me on my last order during the woot-off.

eoinkenny345

quality posts: 0 Private Messages eoinkenny345

I bought one of these new. Great tablet, goes with me everywhere. Use for work and play

TheFaz

quality posts: 6 Private Messages TheFaz

vjcooper

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vjcooper

Does anyone know if this will connect to a phone via Bluetooth PAN instead of WiFi?

fullerjr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fullerjr

I too bought one of these last time, and I'm sorry, but my experience wasn't as positive as so many of the other posters.

So just to add some caution... the one I got was not cleaned off of other's email. I thought that was terrible of Motorola, but oh well. But it was also broken. the screen was broken. So I wrote the lady who owned it before and asked what was the cause of her return. She says "the screen was broken, so I took it back to Costco".

So I was pretty PO'd with Motorola for claiming to refurb something and they don't even turn it on to look at it.

So buyer beware. The device otherwise works ok, but you may not get what you were expecting.

fullerjr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fullerjr
aghosheh wrote:Excuse me for this stupid question. What about apps? My 11 year old daughter has an IPOD Touch and there are tons of apps for her my wife and me too (Medical stuff and business). She can also use it as a phone, not iPhone but there is an app for free minutes and she can dial it up, She can talk to her friends live with pictures around the world over the wifi and much more amazing things. What about this? are there any apps or just internet and pictures?

There are millions of apps, better in my opinion, than on Apple. ANd they're more likely free. More of a sharing community with less lockdown than on Appleland.

claudermilk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages claudermilk

I bought one of these on the last Woot, and love it. The only way to tell it's a refurb is the little silkscreen on the back, otherwise it's like new. My 100% success rate with refurb electronics is still intact. ;)

I've found more and more uses for it the longer I've had it. From the intended note-taking to photo slideshows from my SmugMug page to pulling OBD II codes from family member's cars. It's amazing the versatility of this device. Oh,m and of course more games than you will ever have time to play.

In fact, I just bought another one from this Woot for my wife. She saw mine & has come up with many uses of her own. We went down to Fry's to look at the large selection of tablets they had and really, the Xoom or its direct competitors were head & shoulders above the rest, at least IMHO.

In answer to a few questions I've seen in the thread:
Sirius XM: no, it shows up as incompatible. Bug Sirius, they may have an update in the works.
3G/4G: No, this is Wifi only.
ICS: Nobody has it yet. In about 5 weeks the devices getting ICS will be announced & it is
anticipated the Xoom will be among the first.
Honeycomb: These will immediately update to 3.2.1 when you get logged in. This is about as up-to-date as you can get now. Xoom is what is called a "Google Experience Device" which means it has a vanilla version of Android with no manufacturer garbage on top. This also means the updates hit pretty quickly from what I've read.

Apps are no problem. I have found more apps for it than I know what to do with. The iPad has more & better apps meme is old & tired now. In fact, I have found some useful apps that an iPad-using colleague cannot find. So forget those comments. There are plenty of apps for Android and plenty compatible with the Xoom. I have found a few still flagged as incompatible, but none have been a show-stopper.

For additional chargers, Staples has both the AC and 12V on sale for $5.50. If you don't see any on the shelves, ask someone. I had to have them pull them from the above-the-shelf overstock. The docks are on sale for $25.

mbrickell

fullerjr wrote:I too bought one of these last time, and I'm sorry, but my experience wasn't as positive as so many of the other posters.

So just to add some caution... the one I got was not cleaned off of other's email. I thought that was terrible of Motorola, but oh well. But it was also broken. the screen was broken. So I wrote the lady who owned it before and asked what was the cause of her return. She says "the screen was broken, so I took it back to Costco".

So I was pretty PO'd with Motorola for claiming to refurb something and they don't even turn it on to look at it.

So buyer beware. The device otherwise works ok, but you may not get what you were expecting.

So were you able to return or exchange it?

bluto1221

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bluto1221

Got it on the woot off last month. It's a good solid tablet and does what I need. Good price and with the SD slot you can make it 64G without spending a fortune. Only downside so far is the proprietary charger.

Must have accessories:
http://amzn.com/B004ZAZMKE Case
http://amzn.com/B00513HAEA Anti Glare screen protector.

Without the Anti Glare all you see is your face and the fingerprints. I'm happy with the purchase and would be in for another, but Black friday is soooooo close.

Yeah! First Bountiful Overflowing Cornucopia - 10/12/11

plastickman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages plastickman
crisss1205 wrote:IMHO this is much better than the Nook and Kindle Fire

It's really not fair to compare a tablet to either of them. The Fire runs on a specialized version of the Android 2.X software and I believe the new Nook is the same. Updates to them will not bring them up to compatability or comparable levels of the 3.X or forthcoming 4.X operating systems.

If you want e-reader with some bells and whistles get a Nook or Fire. If you want something more powerful and flexible that just happens to include an e-reader go for a Xoom or Thrive.

xninjagrrl

quality posts: 7 Private Messages xninjagrrl
fullerjr wrote:I too bought one of these last time, and I'm sorry, but my experience wasn't as positive as so many of the other posters.

How did you write to the previous owner? How did you even know who owned it before you if you bought it off Woot?

Pros: The pills were there.
Cons: So was the tank.

zanethebrain

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zanethebrain
mrsly69 wrote:Black Friday is slowly approaching. I have a gut feeling that these units will be everywhere in the $200 range this holiday season.

Great news for the consumers, bad news for the 1%er's. Price point for tablet's is slowly approaching the magic $200 point for nicely equipped units with fast processors.

Tech companies are now just trying to survive and waiting for Apple to stumble. I don't own any apple products. I find them to expensive, but I do appreciate their innovative ideas. If not for apple we all still be buying CD's, watching DVD's and watching live TV.

You must be thinking of napster, netflix and youtube.

audaces.fortuna.juvat

fishphotoguy

quality posts: 9 Private Messages fishphotoguy

Okay, I want the Xoom now.

I was gonna go kindle fire, I like the smaller form, because I'm more likely to carry it and have it when I want it. I am willing to admit that I won't root anything, will be perfectly happy with streaming prime videos, and am willing to keep my stuff in amazon's cloud.

But, the documentation on the Fire says nothing about accelerometer etc. and my kids love those games. (so they must be fun and I want more fun)

so the Xoom looks just right at this price. I worry about the black friday remorse, since this is a Xmas present I could wait and see. Of course it is for me, and I could have it now. Sales Tax kills the deal, but I see that Amazon will sell it to me without sales tax for $336.22 (free Prime shipping)

Trigger Pulled, sorry Woot. You can tell Bezos you deserve commission on this one anyway.

NavyDoc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages NavyDoc

Just picked up a Toshiba Thrive for $400, but have yet to open it.

Torn between keeping the Thrive, buying this Xoom from woot, or holding out for the quad-core ASUS Transformer Prime.

Any thoughts in the Woot community???

arentol

quality posts: 1 Private Messages arentol

I am tired of people calling this thing bulky.

Go try a Viewsonic G-Tab, or any of a couple dozen other low-priced over-sized Android tablets before you complain about the size of the Xoom.

Yes it is kind of heavy, but it is only bulkier than just a few other 10" tablets and most of those have one or more of the following problems:

Less powerful
Inferior screen
Inferior OS
Not an Android device
Cost a lot more
Fewer/worse/proprietary inputs or output ports
Inferior manufacturer developed custom interface

The Xoom has its issues, but being particularly bulky is not really one of them.

mbrickell

Can someone comment on the SD card slot? Does it work or not, etc. I've read conflicting stuff on this in the past and can't remember what the deal is with it at present.

Seems like the Xoom2 does not have expandable memory, a minus. Makes this one more attractive.

Thanks

spandya22

quality posts: 0 Private Messages spandya22

I think people are being a little too hopeful about Black Friday prices. No one is going to get rid of these units at a firesale like the HP touchpad.

I'm hearing the when the Zoom 2 comes out, it will be priced around 500-600 dollars. So, $350 would still be a reasonable price for a this Zoom, if they're still selling it. $279 for this would be wishful thinking. I think this is still a good deal. However, I picked up a 32GB New unit for $349 off the dailysteals.com website a few days ago.

mbrickell wrote:Tempted on this.

After reading several pages of discussion, I have to come to the conclusion that this would be a deal at about $40 or $50 less, and a buy at that point. $279, buy. $329, not quite a trigger-pull.

1. Black Friday season, deals likely to be had on things like this over the next month.

2. Tablet world changing fast, new and better tabs on the imminent horizon...as well as some lower end pseudo-tabs bracketing this on the lower end. Prices will likely continue to decline for "older" tabs like this one.

3. If new, $329 might be a buy given the above, but throw refurb into the mix...meh.

I have the money, but it just isn't quite compelling enough of a value. Close, but not quite. 6 months ago, it would likely have been. Current deal is OK, but not great.

aghosheh

quality posts: 1 Private Messages aghosheh

Thanks. I think all in all it is a great buy and I just got one. Can't lose if I am missing one or 2 apps. My wife will be happy and maybe she can stop nagging about getting an IPOD .

jennaba423 wrote:Here's a good link that compares the Android Market to the Apple app store: http://www.androidauthority.com/google-android-market-vs-apple-itunes-app-store-26281/

To summarize: the Android operating system (which the Xoom uses) has many more apps available than Apple -- and many more FREE apps, at that.

Regarding videochatting with friends: when the next version of Android [Ice Cream Sandwich] comes out this month [and a previous poster here confirmed that it will indeed be rolled out to the Xoom, although I don't know the date], users will be able to use Google HangOut to video chat with multiple users at the same time. There are actually a LOT of cool new 'social' features in Ice Cream Sandwich that your daughter would probably love -- you can see more details & a video summary at android.com

Re: making calls -- someone else will have to provide their input, as I'm not a tablet expert [I'm still in the shopping process myself, though I know I will definitely get an Android device if I do decide to get a tablet at all]. I know you can use Google Voice on tablets, but that's about all I can contribute to this topic.

Hope this helps!

fishphotoguy

quality posts: 9 Private Messages fishphotoguy
fishphotoguy wrote:...Amazon will sell it to me without sales tax for $336.22 (free Prime shipping) http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0045FM6SU/sr=1-1/qid=1320941297/ref=olp_pg_used?ie=UTF8&coliid=&startIndex=0&me=&qid=1320941297&sr=1-1&seller=&colid=&condition=used

Trigger Pulled, sorry Woot. You can tell Bezos you deserve commission on this one anyway.

WAIT, that one is used/open box not factory refurbed, no Motorola warranty, Back to the fence...

JJOEC3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages JJOEC3
sperzel wrote:I think I heard or read the xoom can be upgraded to LTE 4g. Can anyone confirm?

The wi-fi only version of the XOOM, referred to as "XOOM Wifi" as opposed to "XOOM 3G (or I guess now 4G)" doesn't have any cellular radios on it period. Sorry :/

kinghiggs

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kinghiggs

Own it, love it--a true laptop replacement.

It's connectable (USB micro, HDMI out), expandable (micro SD), and my old bluetooth keyboard works perfectly with it for extensive typing jobs.

Battery life is ~10 hours when actively working, and DAYS on standby, it boots in seconds, and the display is beautiful--great viewing angle, and bright (override the auto brightness setting).

I paid for Documents to Go, so that I can edit Office documents, but all my other productivity apps have been free or offered free through the Amazon App Store or GetJar:
Android Sync Manger-wirelessly syncs Outlook;
WiFi File Explorer Pro-wirelessly syncs both the internal memory and the SD card;
Bluetooth File Transfer-ditto, via Bluetooth;
DropBox-ditto, and possibly the most awesome file management app ever. And don't tell [insert wireless carrier here], but PDANet has a tablet version that proxies the tablet through a cell phone when no wifi is available.

My one and only gripe is the proprietary charging cable--no USB charging.

kinghiggs

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kinghiggs
ljcarr1 wrote:Nice job woot, I purchased one a few monhs back when you listed it for $349. I've had an Android equipped phone for the last two years and this thing works just as great! Love the OS, my only complaint is the non-functioning SD card slot. I hear a patch is coming soon.

The patch is out--you should be running Android 3.2.1. Go to settings/about tablet/system updates, and have it check for updates. With 32gb on board, I've hardly touched the internal memory, but it's nice having an SD card for large files like movies and music.

proxopspete

quality posts: 0 Private Messages proxopspete

For those that are worried about Flash being killed, it's only for browser support... Flash will live on through Adobe's AIR, which incorporates Flash into the apps natively...

Flash 11 will be continued with bug fixes but should suffice for most web browsing on Android devices...

1x VuPoint 2MP Digital Camera
1x Maximo iM-490S iMetal Stereo Earphones
2x Kyocera Bluetooth Stereo Headset
1x Brown Zune 30GB
1x Razer Pro|Tone m100
2x Logitech QuickCam Communicate STX Webcam

gamayko

quality posts: 1 Private Messages gamayko
zeke7 wrote:I saw a brand new one of these for about $345 over at daily steals dot com just last week!

They are 350.00 at Walmart right now "new".

claudermilk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages claudermilk
mbrickell wrote:Can someone comment on the SD card slot? Does it work or not, etc. I've read conflicting stuff on this in the past and can't remember what the deal is with it at present.

Seems like the Xoom2 does not have expandable memory, a minus. Makes this one more attractive.

Thanks

Yes, sort of. Stock, it's read-only. You would have to load data from your PC. However there is the app I mentioned in my ealier post (SDCardXD) that now allows copying files form the internal storage to the SD card. You still cannot erase, but the dev is working on that.

Then there is the option of rooting & loading a ROM (for Xoom that is Tiamat), which allows full R/W access. That also allows full USB functionality (i.e., thumb drives, external HDDs).

cljworks

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cljworks

whats the return policy?

vcoli26

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vcoli26

does it have a usb port?

thnx

vcoli26

Vince Coccoli