3%
2%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

wootalyzer

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wootalyzer

Wootalyzer's Pricing Post! - The price of today's woot item is saved here for future reference
------------------------------------------------------------
Dyson DC25 Upright Ball Vacuum
$249.99 + $5 Shipping
Condition: Refurbished

*DISCLAIMER* Wootalyzer! is in no way affiliated with Woot!, and this post may not always be here!

Costner

quality posts: 27 Private Messages Costner

Great... the next 24hrs will be full of endless "this woot sucks" jokes and requests for woot to start a "dyson.woot.com" store.

Awesome.

whatsamattaU

quality posts: 1068 Private Messages whatsamattaU

yeawuteva

quality posts: 115 Private Messages yeawuteva

do dyson's handle hardwood floor and ceramic tile as well as they do carpet?

luckyzac

quality posts: 4 Private Messages luckyzac

Product Page!

This is a really good deal...New this thing is going for 469.99 at Costco. Though it is on sale for black Friday there, for 369.99

closhedbb

quality posts: 1 Private Messages closhedbb

as an owner of this dyson model i must say this is a phenomenal vacuum, and is a steal at $250. i'm honestly tempted to get one to keep in the box for when my current one dies, if that ever even happens...

Costner

quality posts: 27 Private Messages Costner
yeawuteva wrote:do dyson's handle hardwood floor and ceramic tile as well as they do carpet?

Actually they are better suited for hard surfaces. In Consumer Reports testing they have never had the top rating on carpet, but they have on hard surfaces if that helps.

My one concern with the ball design on wood floors would be the risk of scratching the floors as the ball itself is a hard plastic. I personally would opt for hard surface attachment on a hose and/or a vacuum that has rubber coated wheels designed to prevent scratches and marring.

fruchild

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fruchild

Got the last dyson woot.... mayhaps wish I had waited for this one. Indeed, I dig the dyson, but I just DO NOT get the hand-held part. Too long! Useful at times, but usually when I wanna take off with the sucky piece of the vaccuum it is so I can get all up in a crevice, not poke at it from a distance and hope it sucks

closhedbb

quality posts: 1 Private Messages closhedbb
yeawuteva wrote:do dyson's handle hardwood floor and ceramic tile as well as they do carpet?

mine does very well on both. i own a d25.

w116tjb

quality posts: 2 Private Messages w116tjb

Seriously Woot? I just bought this damned thing. Granted, that it is amazing at picking up anything and everything from my carpet, but I really don't need two Dyson's... However, a Bountiful Overflowing Cornucopia would be nice... Just saying...

brooktara

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brooktara

If these are do great why are there so many "refurbished" units available?

cmalas

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cmalas

I appreciate the color choices, however on the Dyson site it shows only the "animal" versions are purple, and the "standard" versions are yellow. Is there a difference (other than the color of course) between the three here? I would obviously like to opt for the animal once as I have a couple of furry friends that live with me. Thanks!

Platypus222

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Platypus222

If anyone's interested in a cheaper Dyson, but without the ball, Deals.Woot also has the Dyson DC14 for $179.99 -- http://deals.woot.com/deals/details/7d5e1a48-5369-4981-863b-c2675b64e2f4/dyson-dc14-all-floors-vacuum#28. I just got mine yesterday and it seems pretty awesome. If you don't mind the traditional wheels, it might be worth saving $70. Either way, they're both great deals.

I can't compare the other statistics, but I'd assume they're comparable. Feel free to join in if you have any comparisons.

rdctali

quality posts: 2 Private Messages rdctali

Warranty: 6 Month Dyson
No, no, no.

dreashard

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dreashard

Most referbs you get never actually see customer hands. They are usually factory units that didn't meet quality control standards and had to be fixed in some way. They can't sell them as new, thus refurbished.

cranec85

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cranec85

Obligatory "will this work with my Mac?" joke.

sdc100

quality posts: 502 Private Messages sdc100

According to Consumer Reports, the ball is mostly a gimmick. They found that many cheaper vacuums using conventional casters and wheels were just as maneuverable, and often better performers.

poorhungrydoctor

quality posts: 7 Private Messages poorhungrydoctor
sdc100 wrote:According to Consumer Reports, the ball is mostly a gimmick. They found that many cheaper vacuums using conventional casters and wheels were just as maneuverable, and often better performers.

I was actually going to ask what the giant ball was for.
Thank you for straight answer.

bellstl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bellstl

awesome vacuum... i got the regular yellow dc25. not sure about refurbished though

whatsamattaU

From the previous woot's inimitable nightghost:

NightGhost wrote:Here's the manual.

NightGhost wrote:Reviews:

TestFreaks

Vacuum Wizard

Upright Vacuum Cleaners Info

ezine article

Retrevo links

NightGhost wrote:YouTube videos:

HSN

Basic Review

cretiarose

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cretiarose

I bought mine for $500 and I'd do it again. Loves it! The one thing it's not good for is vacuuming a car... can't maneuver the extension for it.

cretiarose

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cretiarose
sdc100 wrote:According to Consumer Reports, the ball is mostly a gimmick. They found that many cheaper vacuums using conventional casters and wheels were just as maneuverable, and often better performers.

I disagree.. I have owned both and it takes me a lot less energy to roll the ball around than conventional. Just my opinion on that.

wootvan

quality posts: 62 Private Messages wootvan
brooktara wrote:If these are do great why are there so many "refurbished" units available?

Because they sometimes break.

vipermjb

quality posts: 40 Private Messages vipermjb

But it has BLADES IN THE BASE LOL!!111

What? Wrong Dyson Woot!?

sdc100

There are many rumors around the Internet that some carpet manufacturers void the warranty if you use a Dyson. Apparently, the beater bar is deemed too rough on the fibers. Despite the rumors, and the many testimonials from self-described carpet technicians, only one manufacturer specifically names Dyson as a violation to their warranty.

kevinelia

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kevinelia

I was shopping for a GOOD vacuum two years ago and went into a vacuum store to ask the owner what he thought of Dyson. He said he repairs a lot of them. Sure enough, he had a bunch of bagless Dyson's in line for repair covered with dust that should be in the bag. He liked Simplicity, and after two years so do we.

iamruling2

quality posts: 1 Private Messages iamruling2

And I thought this is why they created home.woot.......

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 547 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

vipermjb wrote:But it has BLADES IN THE BASE LOL!!111

What? Wrong Dyson Woot!?

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

jdpman

quality posts: 16 Private Messages jdpman
brooktara wrote:If these are do great why are there so many "refurbished" units available?

Aside from dreashard's answer...

dreashard wrote:Most referbs you get never actually see customer hands. They are usually factory units that didn't meet quality control standards and had to be fixed in some way. They can't sell them as new, thus refurbished.

... I'd think there has gotta be quite a few returns due to buyer's remorse since this retails for like $400-$500. Working at a big box retailer, I see a good number of Dyson returns just because they "didn't want it." They get sent off to be cleaned and tested and resold as refurbs.

michaelvella

quality posts: 12 Private Messages michaelvella
sdc100 wrote:There are many rumors around the Internet that some carpet manufacturers void the warranty if you use a Dyson. Apparently, the beater bar is deemed too rough on the fibers. Despite the rumors, and the many testimonials from self-described carpet technicians, only one manufacturer specifically names Dyson as a violation to their warranty.

I'd like to see that one (if they exist) try and validate that someone used a Dyson on their precious rug.
FWIW, I also feel as noted above that the DC14 on deals.woot is a great.. deal.
We got one from woot a while back and could not be happier. Would I pay 500 for one? No. But I would happily pay 179 and have recommended them to friends to watch out for sales. Excellent vacuum for the money. And our entire house but for two large wool area rugs has hard surface floors.

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
w116tjb wrote:Seriously Woot? I just bought this damned thing. Granted, that it is amazing at picking up anything and everything from my carpet, but I really don't need two Dyson's... However, a Bountiful Overflowing Cornucopia would be nice... Just saying...

I'm sure they'd be happy to give you one for $249.99 plus $5 shipping.

move along

Hamstur

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Hamstur
sdc100 wrote:There are many rumors around the Internet that some carpet manufacturers void the warranty if you use a Dyson. Apparently, the beater bar is deemed too rough on the fibers. Despite the rumors, and the many testimonials from self-described carpet technicians, only one manufacturer specifically names Dyson as a violation to their warranty.

I've found two, but really you shouldn't use a brush bar on any carpet with wool fibers because it damages the fibers. This model allows you to turn off the bar, so it is not an issue here.

time2testit

quality posts: 14 Private Messages time2testit

OK. I have a 2 story house, with all hardwood floors and a few large area rugs. Is this the best choice? I've heard a few stories about the ball scratching the hardwood floors. And I can't find any info about the DC14 on Dyson's site.

Those of you who actually have (or had) this and/or any of the other versions, could you be a bit more clear as to what floor types you have. What are hard floors? Wood, tile, cement? And are your houses 1 story so weight and ease of carrying up and down is irrelevant? What about the tools? Any good?

Thanks!

whatsamattaU

jdpman wrote:... I'd think there has gotta be quite a few returns due to buyer's remorse since this retails for like $400-$500. Working at a big box retailer, I see a good number of Dyson returns just because they "didn't want it." They get sent off to be cleaned and tested and resold as refurbs.

Can also read the woot "refurbished" entry explanation from the past in my signature below.

sdc100

poorhungrydoctor wrote:I was actually going to ask what the giant ball was for.
Thank you for straight answer.

According to Dyson, the ball serves two purposes. It supposedly gives more freedom of movement but Consumer Reports has said that while it works, it's no better than some of their top rated non-ball vacuums. Dyson also claims that because the ball also houses the vacuum's components, there is a lower center of gravity which makes it more stable.

http://www.dyson.com/vacuums/ball/

sdc100

cretiarose wrote:I disagree.. I have owned both and it takes me a lot less energy to roll the ball around than conventional. Just my opinion on that.

But did you test it against the ones that Consumer Reports say were top performers? At Dyson's price, it's obviously a good performer but unless you've tested it against the CHEAPER ones CU said were just as maneuverable, I'm not sure how you can disagree.

iactallc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages iactallc
rdctali wrote:Warranty: 6 Month Dyson
No, no, no.

Yeah, this bites hard. Why on Earth wouldn't they stand by their product for five years, like their new ones?

geauxrilla4life

quality posts: 0 Private Messages geauxrilla4life

I am a Certified Flooring Inspector. DO NOT USE THIS OR ANY VACUUM ON YOUR HARDWOOD FLOORS.
1)Almost every carpet manufacturer will not warranty their carpet if a Dyson has been used on it. They are too powerful.
2)I cannot begin to tell you how many inspections I have done on hardwood floors where the finish is wearing off and no one knows why until I show up with my micro-scope and see the micro-scratching that has worn off the top layers of the flooring off.

I would recommend just a Eureka or Bissel and make sure you are not vacuuming too low.
Dyson is a great vacuum; just too good. Call any manufacturer of flooring and they will tell you the same thing.