wasserkapf

quality posts: 19 Private Messages wasserkapf
wasserkapf wrote:Can you hook a turntable to it, or do you need a preamp?

To answer my own question (somewhat). Another poster linked to page where you could find the manual for this unit. Here is a direct link:

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/StaticFiles/Manuals/Home/VSX-1021-k_OperatingInstructions020711.pdf

There actually is a mention of a turntable, but it doesn't specifically say where to hook it into. Here's a pic of it:

drizzo4shizzo

quality posts: 3 Private Messages drizzo4shizzo

As a non-apple guy, who will never ever use itunes I can't buy the i-receiver. Though I am still tempted by this device for its HDMI mux and other features.

FYI I accomplish most of the i-feature-set listed here with Logitech Squeezebox products -- streaming FLAC encoded (or other) over wifi from my remote desktop. Squeezecenter provides android control for free. Highly recommend those.

I wonder if this supports any non-walled-garden interfaces for streaming remote media? Didn't see any non-i-interface support listed.

HoboJoe427

quality posts: 0 Private Messages HoboJoe427

Can any of you smart people help me out before I buy this? My current setup with an aging entry-level H/K receiver works well except for stuff like action movies because my front speakers tend to get way too loud during uh, loud scenes. It's getting to the point where I can't use my surround sound for Blu-rays because I have to constantly turn the volume up or down if it's dialogue or an action scene. My rear speakers are just small satellites that get overwhelmed by the larger front speakers. Does this (or really any) receiver have the ability to adjust individual speaker output so I don't have that problem anymore?

Thanks!

iluvtofly

quality posts: 2 Private Messages iluvtofly

Newegg just had this receiver on sale the past weekend for $299 + free shipping and it has 1 year warranty. So I'm sure the deal will come back again. They flip flop a lot with the prices at Newegg. (Unfortunately I don't think you get warranty with WOOT since they are not on Pioneers aproved seller list).

There is an icontrolAV2 app for Android phones that is awesome and works great with this receiver. Just look at the Android market for it!

I own this receiver and I absolutely love it, if anyone wonders about sound and quality! There is a learning curb using the menu and remote but when you have figured it out it is easy.

The first time you use the receiver you will have to set it up with the help of auto setup "MCACC". you will use a microphone that you position in your listening position, the receiver then figures out the distance between the speakers, how the sound bounces of the walls, line levels plus a lot of other things. It does a good job but I noticed that I had to manually fine tune the settings to get it perfect for me.

The Internet Radio feature on this thing is awesome. 1800 plus channels from all over the world. You have to sign up for Pioneer V-tuner online to get access to all of it and you can find it at http://pioneer.vtuner.com

The android app that I mentioned earlier makes it super easy to cruise around between the stations it is all categorized. ie countries, genre, news, talk shows, sports and so on.

For the android app to work you have to have the receiver hooked up to a WiFi router, since the phone you have most likely connects via WiFi. That way you don't have to buy the optional Bluetooth adapter for the receiver.

peterleest

quality posts: 0 Private Messages peterleest
holdfastgreg wrote:Heres the deal:

This receiver is fantastic, recently acquired one through Amazon. Currently $419 through Amazon, disregarding any Prime shipping perk you may have.

I can ramble off a lot of pros but ultimately, for this price you can't touch a better receiver.

Downside: Note this receiver DOES NOT come with wifi or bluetooth - those are both add ons. The cost of WIFI is around $130 and $70 for bluetooth. The receiver does have a spot for cat5 cable but alas my media center is not sitting next to my modem so that was pointless.

no worry, you can use HomePlug device to extend the Cat5 point to the AV amplifier.

http://www.aztech.com/prod_homeplug_hl112e.html

whizzr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages whizzr

I have a really nice Bose 5.1 Acoustimass speaker system. Can the 7.1 in this receiver be "dumbed down" to properly support 5.1?

Sailnut

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Sailnut
chezteladog wrote:You can hook a turntable to it.

You will need a pre-amp to connect a turntable. There is no phono (low-level) input.

Sailnut

ltcmgm78

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ltcmgm78

If the HDTV antenna picks up FM radio signals, you should be able to connect it directly to the receiver. No converter box needed unless you were trying to capture TV audio since it's all digital now.

editorkid wrote:I see antenna connections for FM and AM; can I connect an over-the-air HDTV antenna directly to this receiver, or do I need one of those digital converter boxes?

Marc Miller

Sailnut

editorkid wrote:How? There aren't any analog jacks designated "phono" (the signal's a different level; you can't use line-level jacks) and I don't see a ground connection.

You will have to have a pre-amp for turntable connection. There is no phono (low-level) input.

Sailnut

JamesDelsman

quality posts: 1 Private Messages JamesDelsman

In for one, even though my living room allows only 3.1 sound (haven't sent the kids under the house to run speaker cable yet--now I'll have to get them to also run ethernet while they're down there). Our current receiver is pre-HDMI, and my family is frustrated with having to switch inputs on both the receiver and the TV, so the component-to-HDMI conversion feature should be a big improvement.

kenmichelle

quality posts: 2 Private Messages kenmichelle

I only have enough speakers for 5.1 audio and no real good speaker placement options for 7.1 audio. Can I run this receiver in 5.1 or will I need to upgrade my speaker system?

I assume the HDMI Passthrough feature will allow me designate a device to watch TV without powering up the receiver. My wife would rather just turn on the DirecTV and TV instead of also turning on a receiver too.

Does this thing have a way of turning on a sub-woofer when the receiver is turned on? I didn't see a switched AC plug on the back. I don't want to have to manually turn on the sub-woofer every time.

tamezd

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tamezd

Just a thought, but if you have U-Verse, you can link this receiver with an ethernet cable between the receiver and the U-Verse box.

We're all suckers. Some of us just haven't been born yet.

iluvtofly

whizzr wrote:I have a really nice Bose 5.1 Acoustimass speaker system. Can the 7.1 in this receiver be "dumbed down" to properly support 5.1?

Yes!

Sailnut

wasserkapf wrote:To answer my own question (somewhat). Another poster linked to page where you could find the manual for this unit. Here is a direct link:

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/StaticFiles/Manuals/Home/VSX-1021-k_OperatingInstructions020711.pdf

There actually is a mention of a turntable, but it doesn't specifically say where to hook it into. Here's a pic of it:

This works IF "your turn-table has line level outputs" only. This means your turn table has a built in pre-amp. Otherwise, it requires an outboard pre-amp.

Sailnut

axelf78

quality posts: 0 Private Messages axelf78

Do we HAVE to use the "Pioneer AS-BT200 Bluetooth Adapter" to connect the ipad to this thing? Could I use something else, aka cheaper? Like a Belkin Bluetooth adapter?

Sailnut

iluvtofly wrote:Yes!

Yes... Maybe. Many of the Bose things do not use standard speaker level inputs. They use a special cable to the sub box that has a built in amp and filters. The speakers then feed from the sub. If this is your config, you will have problems using your existing speakers.

Sailnut

iluvtofly

Connect the receiver via a Cat5 Ethernet cable to your WiFi router then you don't have to buy any of the expensive WiFi or Bluetooth adapters that Pioneer sells! (You do want the receiver to be hooked up to internet to take advantage of all the features any ways!)

The Autosetup "MCACC" will recognize you 5.1 setup, so you do not have to have a 7.1 speaker system.

jay07059

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jay07059

I was about to pull the trigger on this model a few weeks ago after doing a good bit of research. Seems like it's a solid receiver but has some quirks (which doesn't matter to me as I won't use the features where the quirks are).

So glad to see this on woot with almost 200 bucks off what I was going to pay a few weeks ago!

grenade01

quality posts: 6 Private Messages grenade01

My cable box does not have the option to upscale SD sources, it switches between 1080 and SD when I changed between HD and SD channels. I would find the 5 second pauses extremely annoying. There's nothing I hate more then that and that alone is enough to completely sway me from this product.

wasserkapf

Sailnut wrote:This works IF "your turn-table has line level outputs" only. This means your turn table has a built in pre-amp. Otherwise, it requires an outboard pre-amp.

Well, just checked MY TURNTABLE, and it has a preamp built in. And, if it is true that you can use an Android app to control it, there go two of my reasons for NOT buying it.

Now, if I can get around the third reason: I don't need it!

firebirdude

quality posts: 19 Private Messages firebirdude
dpinter wrote:Does anyone know if you can watch TV with sound without the reciever being on (Just sound through the TV speakers)? We have the VSX-30 right now which is very nice, but with everything hooked to it you can only get TV sound with it on (And it does not have sound through the TV speakers). We have a large flat-panel TV on the wall and I don't want to run any more wires to the TV if I don't have to (We just the the HDMI cable going to it). THANKS!

I'm doing exactly this. The HDMI from my cable box goes through the receiver and another HDMI cable does to my TV. HDMI delivers both picture and sound. So just turn the receiver all the way down and turn volume up on the TV. I leave it like that probably 350/365 days a year. When I watch a movie, turn the volume up on the receiver. Simple. Effective.

firebirdude

quality posts: 19 Private Messages firebirdude
grenade01 wrote:My cable box does not have the option to upscale SD sources, it switches between 1080 and SD when I changed between HD and SD channels. I would find the 5 second pauses extremely annoying. There's nothing I hate more then that and that alone is enough to completely sway me from this product.

This is one of my biggest (and only) complaints. But after nearly 2 years, I've learned to live with it. During this time when both SD and HD channels are in play, what else can I do? Bah. Just live with it. :-)

riddy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages riddy

Does this unit have line out capabilities? I have an older yamaha that I can be listening to something in the main room where the surround sound is and something different (iPod, etc) in the other rooms and outside, running the signal through a "mule" amp with separate volume controls at each location. thanks for any help on this

sneefy

quality posts: 3 Private Messages sneefy

If this wasn't so Apple-centric it would be a great receiver. Some of us are not fans of Apple products or the company.

alcimedes

quality posts: 4 Private Messages alcimedes
teenracer6 wrote:$448 on Amazon. Mostly positive reviews, BUT the most helpful review claims it to be a bit dissapointing.

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-VSX-1021-K-Theater-Receiver-Glossy/product-reviews/B004M8RPBI/ref=sr_1_1_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

3rd time is a charm, right Woot mods?

Funny, this was an Amazon lightning deal just last week, and that same review was the reason I ended up passing on it. Looks like it's almost perfect, but not quite there.

bucfanmike

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bucfanmike

Screwed by paypal. Careful. I have bill me later account, used it only once. Linked it this morning with paypal just because I couldnt lay out the 3 bills in cash today but really dont want to miss this deal. This is straight c&p from Bill me later site:

Why should I link my Bill Me Later and PayPal accounts?
Here's why. By linking your accounts, you could:

Use Bill Me Later at more places where PayPal is accepted.
You can service both your accounts directly at www.paypal.com.
Use your Bill Me Later available credit for all your PayPal purchases.

I set bill me later as primary funding on paypal as I know woot doesnt kick you over to paypal. And guess what paypal took the money outta my bank account anyway. Called customer service and they said not everyone accepts funding from bill me later. And I pointed out their website that says I can use my credit for all paypal purchases. They said this isnt true, well then why print it? Really hoping woot can come through on an order cancel or im screwed. Wife is gonna kill me.

mdean65

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mdean65
dpinter wrote:Does anyone know if you can watch TV with sound without the reciever being on (Just sound through the TV speakers)? We have the VSX-30 right now which is very nice, but with everything hooked to it you can only get TV sound with it on (And it does not have sound through the TV speakers). We have a large flat-panel TV on the wall and I don't want to run any more wires to the TV if I don't have to (We just the the HDMI cable going to it). THANKS!

Yes, you can. The receiver supports ARC (Audio Return Channel) so if your TV supports ARC, you only have to run HDMI from the receiver to the TV and you will get audio back from the TV to the receiver. You can also turn ARC off and turn your TV speakers back on. I have the VSX-821-K and it's a great product. This is a sweet deal!

whizzr

Sailnut wrote:Yes... Maybe. Many of the Bose things do not use standard speaker level inputs. They use a special cable to the sub box that has a built in amp and filters. The speakers then feed from the sub. If this is your config, you will have problems using your existing speakers.

The Acoustimass has a giant flat ribbon cable, which sounds like the "special cable to the sub box" that you're talking about. However, this cable connects directly to the speaker and subwoofer outputs of pretty much ANY amplifier. The outputs all drive directly into the subwoofer, which has connections for the tiny little cube speakers for which the Acoustimass is so well-known.

Thanks for your input, but my concern isn't compatibility with the Acoustimass, it was compatibility with 5.1. I believe that has been adequately answered, unless anyone has more input?

Poogydood

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Poogydood

Just ordered one. I didn't see a hook-up for my easy bake oven. Dang.

whizzr

Poogydood wrote:Just ordered one. I didn't see a hook-up for my easy bake oven. Dang.

Sounds like your Easy Bake oven is obsolete. Do you have the one with HDMI on the back? If not, I believe Hasbro sells an adapter for only $149.95...

mdean65

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mdean65
danielkitchener1 wrote:Is the HDMI audio passthrough (meaning I need a separate optical audio cable to hear it through the speakers instead of the TV), or does it actually play audio from the HDMI input through the speakers without any sort of foolery? I ask because my current receiver is HDMI passthrough, and it's less-than-optimal

Yes, the receiver supports ARC. If your TV does, all you need is HDMI from receiver to TV. And HDMI actually supports some high digital formats that optical won't pass.

shaneosx

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shaneosx

$150 for an optional Wifi adapter is insane, should have been built in at no additional cost five years ago. Also they refuse to provide a list of supported internet radio because it basically doesn't support any.

For all the latest news, reviews, and rants on gaming, movies, and everything else, check out www.shane-roberts.com

celder4

quality posts: 0 Private Messages celder4

Are the dimensions correct? Pioneer has it at 17.16" x 6.6" x 14.27" (W x H x D). If Woot is correct this thing wouldn't fit in a lot of cabinets.

avenger9

quality posts: 0 Private Messages avenger9

Actually, it was the 1020-K on Amazon (Nov 9). I know, because I bought one - and am looking at the box right now! [Unless they also had the 1021K on there....] Anyways, still trying to tease out the slight differences in the two units.

alcimedes wrote:Funny, this was an Amazon lightning deal just last week, and that same review was the reason I ended up passing on it. Looks like it's almost perfect, but not quite there.

khunjeff

quality posts: 21 Private Messages khunjeff
sneefy wrote:If this wasn't so Apple-centric it would be a great receiver. Some of us are not fans of Apple products or the company.

I'm in the market for a receiver and this one has a lot of nice features, but I agree - this seems to be an incredibly iCentric device. I have no intention of ever entering the Apple reality distortion field, and I hate iTunes...in fact, I don't intend to involve a smartphone or tablet in my A/V system at all. That being the case, am I right to be avoiding this particular receiver?

goatcrapp

quality posts: 17 Private Messages goatcrapp

anyone who actually owns this: how is the commercial volume limiter?

I can read spec sheets until i turn blue - but that won't tell me how good a system is. I've seen some volume compression setups that worked VERY nicely - and others that simply muffled the entire audio feed into non-usability.

since fios sends uncompressed audio - the commercials are ridiculously loud at times.

DangerMouse9

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DangerMouse9

I know it's been asked a couple of times, but there never really seemed to be a straight answer. I'm in for one and now need to upgrade my speakers. I'd like to be able to upgrade to 7.1 speakers for under $300. Any good recommendations?

Thanks

wasserkapf

celder4 wrote:Are the dimensions correct? Pioneer has it at 17.16" x 6.6" x 14.27" (W x H x D). If Woot is correct this thing wouldn't fit in a lot of cabinets.

Thanks for bringing this up. The size stated by woot! was another reason for not buying it (20.52 (W) x 9.72 (H) x 18.12 (D)). I did not even think to check the Pioneer site for accuracy.

So which is right?

wonmoc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wonmoc
whizzr wrote:I have a really nice Bose 5.1 Acoustimass speaker system. Can the 7.1 in this receiver be "dumbed down" to properly support 5.1?

7.1 is just two more speakers so you can probably use the 5 you have and buy two more to add to the system

onefastwienerdog

quality posts: 6 Private Messages onefastwienerdog

Power Consumption: 550W
Output: 110W x 7 (1kHz, THD 0.05% @ 8 Ohms)
90W x 7 (20Hz - 20kHz, THD 0.08% @ 8 Ohms FTC)

So this puts out more power than it consumes?

It probably puts out closer to 50w per channel.

Random crap #1 11-28-09-Nice
Random crap #2 08-20-10-Sucked