TheDreamer68

quality posts: 1 Private Messages TheDreamer68

If only I had waited...

I got one of these back in February(?) when it was $5 more. Didn't have an immediate need for it, so I thought I had set it safely aside somewhere.... IIRC, it had come as the SDHC card naked in a padded envelope.

Well, come April I had use for it, but could not find the card anywhere....concluded that I during one of the sweeps to throw out the many empty woot/amazon boxes that clutter up my home...I accidentally threw out the 32GB Class 10 SDHC Card.

Since I wanted something bigger than the 4GB class 4 ones, I had gotten in a prior woot....and wanting the best and max...so 32GB and Class 10...not that I needed it, so I went and bought a Centon 32GB Class 10 SDHC card elsewhere online for $45 (w/free shipping)....the want was prompted by the arrival of the pre-ordered Nintendo 3DS from Amazon....

Later the 'lost' 32GB woot'd SDHC card turned up....its in a 'thumb' drive that'll take both SDHC or microSDHC cards...

Anyways...when I saw this this morning...I was trying to decide if I could see ever needing 3 of these....but, when I get "I Want One"...and found that wasn't a choice...

I'm in for two.

I have one place where I could use one (though the device takes both SDHC and microSDHC, and I have a 32GB Class 10 microSDHC still in its use resistant plastic packaging....but guess I'm saving that for something more deserving...) Not sure what the second SDHC will be...guess we'll see if I have holes in my gifting list for starting Xmas shopping late this year.

Though I do have other unopened woot purchases that I could gift....like recently I came across a couple Toshiba 8" Wireless Digital Media Frames (from woot.com circa June 28, 2010.)

You may be a dreamer, but I'm The Dreamer, the definite article you might say!

europa12

quality posts: 0 Private Messages europa12

I bought one of these off Ebay several months ago and have had no problems using it in my Panasonic Lumix camera. I ran h2testw on my card today and the following are the specs: Actual capacity = 30.52 Gb; Write speed 14.6 MB/Sec; Read speed 18.3 MB/s.
I cannot speak for the QC of all cards of this band and speed but mine does test better than class 10 specs.

woottoady

quality posts: 33 Private Messages woottoady

Waaay less than a buck a gig... whatta deal, 'cept I need a "micro".

friartek

quality posts: 15 Private Messages friartek
cobra17 wrote:Someone said class 10 is for cameras. Never heard that before. So this would not be good for a laptop?

The following is just general information about memory cards, and in no way is a recommendation to buy this card. I passed as soon as I saw the name.

DSLR cameras especially have needed them for some time; especially when shooting successive shots to keep from creating a bottle neck. The newer personal cameras with faster processors and 1080p video could experience bottle neck issues too. There are several classes of cards.

Class 2 - 2MB/s
Class 4 - 4MB/s
Class 6 - 6MB/s
Class 10 - 10MB/s

Other cards are using the x-number. Compact-Flash cards will have like 150x to designate there speed. You need a chart to figure it out.

A good place to start is on the Wikipedia Secure Digital page.

Slower cards still have there uses, say for temporary storage or transferring data where it is not time critical. I have just found other uses for my older cards.

Note: The newer cards may not be compatible with older devices, a size thing(memory addressing limit). Older devices may have a 2GB limit. The SDHC cards are > 2GB. You should read your manual first.

tolerance: a fair, objective, and permissive attitude toward opinions and practices that differ from one's own.
BOC: 4 Including the very last Woot!-off B)C. One of the lucky few.

archer5803

quality posts: 0 Private Messages archer5803

I think that anyone who buys this card is gambling with their money. It is on the low end of memory cards, being that this class 10 is only 10MB/s whereas sandisk makes a class 10 that writes up to 30MB/s. Then there's the fact that for most pocket point-and-shoot cameras 10MB/s is sufficient. The only concern I would have is the reviews that say your data can be corrupted plus the fact that 32GB is a LOT of pictures and if it becomes corrupted there's a chance you could lose all of them. If you're a professional photographer or care at all about the quality of the photos you take, then I suggest you buy a Sandisk or otherwise quality card. As many of you might already know, there is a class of sdhc that is greater than class 10. It's called UHS class 1. This class is designated by write speeds up to 104 MB/s, yes, I said 104. I once ordered a Sandisk 8GB class 10 sdhc and was sent, for whatever reasons, a UHS class 1 which has a write speed of up to 45MB/s. It performs exceedingly well. In my opinion, the pictures you are able to take are worth much more than the cost of a high quality sdhc. Unless it costs $200+

srheckel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages srheckel

Bought this exact card this summer. Went on a trip, took pictures, lost pictures. Long story short... Pass. The card failed exactly as the reviews on Amazon describe.

suckerbuy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages suckerbuy

Got the Ceton in my camera for the last six or so months, no failure. I have been taking massive amounts of pictures and 1080i videos and no issues so far (on the camera). Only issues i have had were on my Vaio but I blame it on Sony. I'm in for 2.

ScottFromWyoming

quality posts: 11 Private Messages ScottFromWyoming
Aquila76 wrote:Well said, thormj. All of your posts regarding this have been spot on and user-friendly. I award you this photo comparing what 1GB looked like before SD cards. Imagine lugging 32 of those around attached your camera or smartphone!

Nice. I always marvel at the cost per MB... 15 years ago (roughly what I paid) 1MB of RAM cost about $40. So in those dollars this 32GB chip is worth what, $1.25Million?

richardhod

quality posts: 261 Private Messages richardhod
ahp901 wrote:From a man who sells cameras for a living (me):

We have data recovery services for corrupted memory cards. Brands such as this one, Transcend, and Kingston are exponentially more likely to fail or become corrupted than SanDisk, Promaster, or Lexar cards

Unless you are doing a lot of a video recording or taking RAW files with your camera, having a card this size is dangerous. Just think about it. Even your new 16 megapixel point and shoot would record over 4500 pictures onto this card. Now what if you are on a trip and lose the card and you haven't backed up files? there goes 4500 pictures. Having multiple small cards is a better plan for pictures

Great thinking!

From personal experience, I had a 16GB micro-SD for my Nexus One, and nearly lost everything as I saved them to my laptop (they're vry sensitive to file / FAT table corruption when accidentally unplugging without ejecting). AND my friends haven't seen any pix in ages.

I recommend 4- or 8GB cards, as they're more than enough for a day or a week, or a month or 6 month's pictures, depending on your usage)! And you'll be changing your batteries within a day anyway!

richardhod

also,
I'm very suspocious of 10-speed ratings. Often cheaper manufacturers headline just a read speed, under optimal conditions, and its WRITE speed, which is what you want for HD video, is often much much less (perhaps equiv to 4-)!

richardhod

rafa95 wrote:This is the worst piece of garbage I have ever purchased. I was used to Centon producing quality products in the past so I didn't hesitate to pick one up at CompUSA. Within two months the whole thing just fell apart. Couldn't get anything from Compusa because it was out of their return period and Centon just didn't respond. Spend the extra few bucks on a Sandisk or Kingston or anything else except this junk. I've had other brand cards for over 6 years that the only problem they have is that they are too small in capacity but they never fell apart like this one did.

Reminds me of when I was in Shanghai, and in one of the markets they wanted to sell me a 32 or 64GB Panasonic SD 6-speed card, for $50 equivalent. Even at $15 which they would "reluctantly" let it go for it was a ripoff. Actually a fake, lo-quality 2GB slower card, cunningly formatted to look like a larger card in your camera, until you tried to format it again, or use it...
Caveat Emptor.

wesdapilot

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wesdapilot

As a photographer and member of numerous photographic organizations and a photo instructor, let me make a few basic comments.

First, why would you select a bargain basement memory card to store your photos? If you don't care enough to use the best cards available, your photos probably aren't worth taking in the first place.

Second, as the old expression reminds us, sh*t happens and there are too many chances of having a card lost or damaged to put more than a minimum number of images on the card.

I shoot with cameras at 10 mps in Raw, and routinely use 4 gb cards. Whatever the card will hold, when I get to one day's shooting, or 250 shots, whichever is first, I change cards. When shooting in Africa, China, Peru, etc., I will often have 6 or 8 cards per day. I back them up to my netbook, and to a hard drive storage device as soon as I return to my room. I will not erase the card until I return home and have the photos downloaded to my main computer. 23 days in China produced 81 cards and a total of 14,600 photos. While traveling in Italy last month, my wife sat her camera down on the table while having a coffee and turned away for 5 seconds. Her camera and the card are gone forever. She only lost about a dozen shots because we backed up the shots the night before and changed cards.

There is nothing that I can think of that is worth so little as to trust it to a third rate card like this. Then again, it is your photo, so "you pays your money, you takes your chances".

kloplop321

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kloplop321

Last time I got one of these from Woot,

It was FAST
It was really awesome

Until one day, before even utilizing 4GB, the whole thing died.

Reformatting never worked, IO errors all over the place, data written to it never came back without corruption..

I kinda want another 32GB for my Open Pandora, but that was just wrong. Now I'm stuck with a class 4 32GB card that hasn't failed me.

smeh

quality posts: 2 Private Messages smeh

All Flash memory eventually fails. This is an unfortunate reality of the technology. One way to mitigate this is to always use the "format" option on your camera rather than simply using the erase feature whenever you clear all the data from the card. Formatting the card should look for the sectors on the card that have gone bad and skip over them. The capacity of your card will go down over time but you'll be less likely to lose data.

mattschuette

quality posts: 4 Private Messages mattschuette

Staff

Writing as a consumer here, I bought one of these last time around and it's been just fine in my MP3 player. I have two different players that take full-sized SD cards for expansion, and both support SDHC, so it seemed like a great buy. The thing is, with an MP3 player, you do substantially more reads than writes, and writes are where lower quality cards tend to have problems. I also don't care much about the actual speed of a card, as I only load up songs every now and then and read speeds are never the problem.

For a read-heavy device - MP3 player, photo frame, maybe GPS unit?, etc. - this is a great deal. I'm not sure I want to pop it into our camera and take the risk of losing pics of the kids. We have an old Sony mini-DVD camcorder that was bad about losing videos, and it's about the worst feeling in the world when recorded snippets of irreplaceable memories slip away into the bit bucket.

I do believe the pricier cards go through more rigorous testing, and I'm willing to pay a bit more for the cards we use in our camera. All that said, I've actually never had a card fail (did I seriously just say that!?)

maybejet

quality posts: 6 Private Messages maybejet
TheDreamer68 wrote:If only I had waited...

I got one of these back in February(?) when it was $5 more. Didn't have an immediate need for it, so I thought I had set it safely aside somewhere.... IIRC, it had come as the SDHC card naked in a padded envelope.

Well, come April I had use for it, but could not find the card anywhere....concluded that I during one of the sweeps to throw out the many empty woot/amazon boxes that clutter up my home...I accidentally threw out the 32GB Class 10 SDHC Card.

Since I wanted something bigger than the 4GB class 4 ones, I had gotten in a prior woot....and wanting the best and max...so 32GB and Class 10...not that I needed it, so I went and bought a Centon 32GB Class 10 SDHC card elsewhere online for $45 (w/free shipping)....the want was prompted by the arrival of the pre-ordered Nintendo 3DS from Amazon....

Later the 'lost' 32GB woot'd SDHC card turned up....its in a 'thumb' drive that'll take both SDHC or microSDHC cards...

Anyways...when I saw this this morning...I was trying to decide if I could see ever needing 3 of these....but, when I get "I Want One"...and found that wasn't a choice...

I'm in for two.

I have one place where I could use one (though the device takes both SDHC and microSDHC, and I have a 32GB Class 10 microSDHC still in its use resistant plastic packaging....but guess I'm saving that for something more deserving...) Not sure what the second SDHC will be...guess we'll see if I have holes in my gifting list for starting Xmas shopping late this year.

Though I do have other unopened woot purchases that I could gift....like recently I came across a couple Toshiba 8" Wireless Digital Media Frames (from woot.com circa June 28, 2010.)

Are you truly The Dreamer or just living a Wootmare???

tlcamerica

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tlcamerica

This SDHC card is a class 10, the fastest SDHC rated SD card. All things are not created equal. There are many older model electronic devices that specifically state what SD card works and what capacity it will read. Used this in my Nikon D90 and it blazing fast.

Ringo4422

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Ringo4422
Aquila76 wrote:Well said, thormj. All of your posts regarding this have been spot on and user-friendly. I award you this photo comparing what 1GB looked like before SD cards. Imagine lugging 32 of those around attached your camera or smartphone!

Looks like a disk brake set for a big Toyota Prius.

Vizio 32” 720p LCD HDTV (2 of them), Seagate 750GB SATA/300 7200RPM Hard Drive, SiliconDust HDHomeRun Dual Digital HDTV Tuner, Kodak Theater HD Player, Acer Aspire One 10.1” Netbook, Philips Prestigo 8-Device Universal Remote, Asus Eee PC 900 Netbook with 1.6GHz Atom Processor, Philips Upconverting DVD Player with DivX and HDMI, Ashley Rock Axe Full Size Rockband and Guitar Hero Controller for PS2 and PS3, Philips Icon 5 Device Universal Remote, and a bunch of other carp.

camelrides

quality posts: 0 Private Messages camelrides
Ringo4422 wrote:Looks like a disk brake set for a big Toyota Prius.

Hey does anyone know how to contact woot on A comp.. i bought I just received .. does not work.. Im leaving for vaction and have to be able to return asap
thans
sandy

chgo

quality posts: 2 Private Messages chgo
halukucar wrote:Wiki:
The Speed Class Rating is the official unit of speed measurement for SD Cards, defined by the SD Association. The Class number represents a multiple of 8 Mbit/s (1 MB/s), the least sustained write speeds for a card in a fragmented state (Class 2, 4, 6) or the minimum non-fragmented sequential write speed (Class 10).

What it means: Class 10 is intended for cameras, which write on continuous blocks. Class 6 will be a nice storage for tablet like devices, which accesses randomly to free blocks spread all around the card after some use.

kb5898

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kb5898

Haven't had a flash drive or SD card or any other similar ones yet fail. However I can testify that my cheap "Cruzer" flash drive, survived 2 loads of laundry, and the dryer. And still works fine, and I even almost cracked the slider housing, but it is holding on.
Have written to it at least 1000 times, and read from it constantly. Had live Linux running on it for about a week. I run Tixati, and Audials apps on it for months, and it hasn't ever garbled or lost anything.

Really it is just that you don't constantly yank it out or put it into a bad USB port.

The people who claim failure are just unlucky or have a bunch of dust milling around in their card reader/writer device slot.

I am sure eventually I will wear it out. I think the higher capacity too may hold for less reliability in the long term, but we still have devices nearly 10 years old, that are still faithfully storing our data without fail.

Every electronic device IS eventually going to fail. Not just if, but when is the lifes mystery.
Everything is a gamble in the computer world.

damnwombat

quality posts: 1 Private Messages damnwombat

In for two. figure the camera is hungry, the tablet is eying the eyepod for it's memory, and the toaster is on it's last legs. time to rewire the toaster so the dishwasher doesn't come on when "puree" is pressed.

meems212

quality posts: 3 Private Messages meems212
sab340 wrote:Can someone explain to me the benefit of SDHC?

I went to Wikipedia but first it took me to a page about a Succinate dehydrogenase complex subunit C protein induced by the SDHC gene which just plain didn't seem right.

Then it took me to this page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital

Which was filled with enough letters and abbreviations that it looked like Sesame Street with Tourettes.

ROTFL, and spit out my drink and choked, thanks for the laugh

m3talcore

quality posts: 6 Private Messages m3talcore
IamApple wrote:If you're planning on using these for HD video. spend the extra $$ and go for a Sandisk Extreme. they are the only cards I have not had problems with.

I'm going to disagree. Cheap cards are great for large sequential read/write operations, but stop dead under random 4kb bursts. Because of this you're generally safe to go by the class rating for video, assuming the brand has at least minimal credibility.

ScotHibb

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ScotHibb
ScottFromWyoming wrote:Nice. I always marvel at the cost per MB... 15 years ago (roughly what I paid) 1MB of RAM cost about $40. So in those dollars this 32GB chip is worth what, $1.25Million?

I had one of those ancient hard drives...took it apart and when i put the neodym magnets to gether they pinched my skin so hard it RIPPED it...lucky something boneless and more valuable wasn't in between those suckers...took hours to get them apart.

I always take a 16GB MicroSD's, put up to my nose and say that I can fit more memory in my left nostril than could be stored in a city block when My dad was my age.

With Woot would get some good Micro SDs soon...downloaded another 80gigs of PSP games, and those 16gb micro SD work perfect in a Sony chip adapter (and MUCH cheaper than a Sony stick)!

aro1492

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aro1492
B1GgP3tE wrote:Hoping this will work in my GoPro camera, in for 1!

It does! I got one last time this deal came around for that exact reason and am seriously thinking about picking up another one today...

brasssong

quality posts: 9 Private Messages brasssong

Items this small should not cost $5 to ship.

mechno

quality posts: 4 Private Messages mechno

I got this during a previous woot, and love it. It works great in my Pentax D40 and is sturdy. So sturdy that it survived multiple cycles through my dishwasher. Yes. Dishwasher. Don't ask.

ScotHibb

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ScotHibb

HMMMMMM......can't decide....I'm a memory junkie...this would free up a few micro SDs I'm using for my cameras so I could use them in my PSP for the 10,000 PSP games one of my hard drives...

Heard these have a data-loss rate, but not for simple storing and retrieving....is it better that Kingston?

For ~$7 more you can get a 32GB Kinston SDHC Class-10

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Kingston+Technology+-+Ultimate+X+32GB+Secure+Digital+High+Capacity+(SDHC)+Class+10+Memory+Card/2662308.p?id=1218342637952&skuId=2662308&st=32gb%20sdhc&cp=1&lp=2

when you calculate shipping

kayak206

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kayak206

You must not have been alive 20 years ago.. in 91 a 1 gb hard drive looked like any 3.5" hard drive today.

CowboyDann

quality posts: 716 Private Messages CowboyDann

duplicate

CowboyDann

quality posts: 716 Private Messages CowboyDann
brasssong wrote:Items this small should not cost $5 to ship.

TV's, Mattresses, Hedge Trimmers, Laptops, DSLR Cameras, Vacuums, Monitors, Computers, Appliances, and plenty of other woots should cost way more than 5 dollars to ship. Sometimes you win/Sometimes you lose. Sometimes you just have to DealWithIt.gif

tigerxchaos

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tigerxchaos
TheDreamer68 wrote:If only I had waited.....................

Cool story, bro.

rsvp0

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rsvp0

You all are assuming these will only be used for cameras. I plan on using it as a cheap USB drive (with a small card reader) to play music from. I'll have my music on my computer, and if the SD gets corrupted, I haven't lost anything.

That being said, a Sandisk Extreme is only $54 at Amazon, and the extra $24 dollars may be cheap piece of mind.

archerman2000

quality posts: 8 Private Messages archerman2000
sab340 wrote:Can someone explain to me the benefit of SDHC?

It's a High Capacity SD Card... or SDHC - that is all.. think it is more than 4gb and it is a SDHC card rather than a SD card... could be wrong on the size though. There can be capability issues (although SDHC is backwards compatible) so check your documentation before buying one to ensure your device will accept a SDHC card w/ this capacity.

rsvp0

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rsvp0
brasssong wrote:Items this small should not cost $5 to ship.

There is no way you can pay someone to put one of these in mailer, print the address label, attach it, and send it for less than $5, is there?

kayak206

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kayak206
rsvp0 wrote:There is no way you can pay someone to put one of these in mailer, print the address label, attach it, and send it for less than $5, is there?

Cost of shipping has never been determined by how much a person whose sole job is shipping that one item would be paid to do so.

mshultise

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mshultise
Roostalee wrote:Always leery of these large capacity cards. Some folks say that it's better to have smaller (say, 8GB) cards for use in DSLRs and video cameras, rather than put all your data on a single card and risk losing it. SD cards are really small compared to rolls of film or tapes, so it's hardly a problem carrying multiple, smaller-capacity cards.

I guess I'd be more convinced if many of these larger cards weren't reportedly so flaky. Losing a ton of video and pictures isn't worth it.

I used to own 2 digital cards until the puppy chewed one up. It doesn't matter how big or small a card is, if you have a puppy!

ItsKona.Com

rbenjam1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rbenjam1

I bought this same exact card from woot over a year ago, it works fine, and the price is right.

i went ahead and grabbed another one this time around.

I use them in My Canon Dslr for HD video and you never have to worry about running out of space.

dfranqui

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dfranqui

One More Gimlet!!! I meant to order 2 and now it won't let me place a 2nd order! heeeelllp!!!