NascarDad

quality posts: 21 Private Messages NascarDad

I wonder how well Ice Cream Sandwich will run on this... hmmm..

ivanivanovich

quality posts: 24 Private Messages ivanivanovich
hibliss wrote:For those asking about GPS, this has A-GPS, or assisted GPS. That means you need to be connected to a network (cell or wifi) for the GPS to work.

Are you sure that's what A-GPS means? 'Cause Wikipedia and about.com don't agree.

Info from the cell towers Assists the GPS in resolving position faster or, when GPS signals aren't available, they step in to supply the position.

If a cell signal isn't available, the GPS receiver still functions normally - you get a GPS-based position when you have enough signals, and you don't when you don't.

ivanivanovich

quality posts: 24 Private Messages ivanivanovich
filpenny wrote:I'd be wary of this, Woot! is known to shaft people when it comes to tablets (see HP Touchpad fiasco).

I don't understand what you mean. I've bought 4 tablets from woot - including the infamous TouchPad - and I haven't been shafted even once.

JonPaul

quality posts: 0 Private Messages JonPaul

I've been searching the web and cannot figure out if you can buy a squaretrade warranty for this tablet (since it's refurbished). Anyone know the answer? I'd like to buy the Galaxy, but only if I can get a 3-year squaretrade warranty covering accidental damage.

skooternb

quality posts: 0 Private Messages skooternb

I bought this new last week and even though I could have saved the money on the refurbished one I do not regret paying full price. Worth every penny! It is the tablet that made me ditch my iPad.

rhmurphy

quality posts: 19 Private Messages rhmurphy
JonPaul wrote:I've been searching the web and cannot figure out if you can buy a squaretrade warranty for this tablet (since it's refurbished). Anyone know the answer? I'd like to buy the Galaxy, but only if I can get a 3-year squaretrade warranty covering accidental damage.

The "Square Trade" logo on the sale page says yes. $54.99 for a 1 year warranty.

Woot! Now 100+ woots for me!
That's 87 woots (Including Twelve Bats On Crack!), 12 Sellout.woots, 8 wine.woots and 4 kids.woots, and finally, 2 shirt.woots!

rosros

quality posts: 2 Private Messages rosros

Price is just OK. TG had an ACER with 32gigs for $350 new. Also, with the next generation processor about to be released prices ought to plummet. The chips are avail now, but the mfgr are waiting to dwindle their invt over the holiday. According to Tiagra chip maker this next chip is already at mfg 10x faster. By 2013 they expect the speeds to be 75x the current chip.

micheal0484

quality posts: 1 Private Messages micheal0484

Will it play most DivX files?

Wherever you go, go with all your woots. ~Conwarpius

saltysteele

quality posts: 4 Private Messages saltysteele
marziah wrote:Ice Cream Sandwich, or Android 4.0, is going to the Galaxy Nexus phone first, but it will eventually make its way to tablets. It will probably hit Xooms first. It may make its way to the Tab series. It depends on how much modification Samsung wants to do to the interface. The user interface on the Tab 7 Plus is a lot more modified than it is on the Tab 10, which is mostly straight Android Honeycomb. The camera app is slightly different, but that's about it.

Samsung had an update they were planning to push out to Tab 10s at some point this year, so they may do that first.

why would it go to the xooms first? you said yourself the nexus is going to be the first phone with it, so nexus already has the ability to be working on an interface for their tabs. i would be surprised if samsung did not have the first ICS tab.

although, i was playing with the xoom this past weekend, and it was a sweet tab. i wouldn't hesitate to purchase one over an ipad. although i couldn't tell the difference between the xoom and galaxy, the galaxy 10.1 is supposed to be the schizz in android tabs. refurb units often get more and better quality testing after being refurbed, than the new tabs coming straight off the line. every refurb is tested, whereas only 1 out of ?? new units are tested for quality.

who are these refurbed by? samsung or a 3rd party?

Ringo4422

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Ringo4422

Could someone tell me if the battery is removable?

Vizio 32” 720p LCD HDTV (2 of them), Seagate 750GB SATA/300 7200RPM Hard Drive, SiliconDust HDHomeRun Dual Digital HDTV Tuner, Kodak Theater HD Player, Acer Aspire One 10.1” Netbook, Philips Prestigo 8-Device Universal Remote, Asus Eee PC 900 Netbook with 1.6GHz Atom Processor, Philips Upconverting DVD Player with DivX and HDMI, Ashley Rock Axe Full Size Rockband and Guitar Hero Controller for PS2 and PS3, Philips Icon 5 Device Universal Remote, and a bunch of other carp.

Ringo4422

JonPaul wrote:I've been searching the web and cannot figure out if you can buy a squaretrade warranty for this tablet (since it's refurbished). Anyone know the answer? I'd like to buy the Galaxy, but only if I can get a 3-year squaretrade warranty covering accidental damage.

Square trade loves Woot. Yes. I've done it with several Woot electronic items.

Vizio 32” 720p LCD HDTV (2 of them), Seagate 750GB SATA/300 7200RPM Hard Drive, SiliconDust HDHomeRun Dual Digital HDTV Tuner, Kodak Theater HD Player, Acer Aspire One 10.1” Netbook, Philips Prestigo 8-Device Universal Remote, Asus Eee PC 900 Netbook with 1.6GHz Atom Processor, Philips Upconverting DVD Player with DivX and HDMI, Ashley Rock Axe Full Size Rockband and Guitar Hero Controller for PS2 and PS3, Philips Icon 5 Device Universal Remote, and a bunch of other carp.

saltysteele

NascarDad wrote:I wonder how well Ice Cream Sandwich will run on this... hmmm..

it will run just as well on this pad as any other tab. why wouldn't it? how has gingerbread run on all the pre-ginger phones? ICS is supposed to run more efficiently, so unless this tab would do poorly running a program that uses less resources....

saltysteele

Ringo4422 wrote:Could someone tell me if the battery is removable?

what would you do with it if you could get it out? i've got 2 phones that i've had (my wife and kid) for over 2 years and they show no sign of losing any life since we've had them. i don't understand why everyone has to be able to remove the batteries on everything.

TheSevenSongs

quality posts: 0 Private Messages TheSevenSongs
pglee wrote:Correct. It's important to note, however, that the resolution of the streaming video on your Android device is not nearly the resolution of your television. That being said, Netflix looks like crap on a HDTV because the app doesn't output 720/1080p video.

As an FYI, my Droid Bionic seems to be outputting 720p Netflix over HDMI, depending on the internet connection. Me and some friends were able to watch a few scary movies that depend on small details and were properly surprised at all points.

As a note, make sure you have Netflix set up on the best video quality level (most GB per hour streamed). It may help as you try streaming from an Android device.

[Edit] It seems that the Bionic is running on a different chipset, specifically the TI OMAP4, the first chip to receive Netflix HD certification, potentially the reason for my good results with Netflix over HDMI. Unfortunately, this means I have no idea what is going on with tablets with other chipsets.

ckaminsk

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ckaminsk

That's ONLY $50-savings over Amazon price. and its Refurb not New. Meh. ... moving on. :-/

s15274n

quality posts: 0 Private Messages s15274n

Cyanogen works for Samsung and CyanogenMod 9 is right around the corner. I will be rooting this on Day 1. Unbelievable deal. Thanks Woot!

- Callip Hall

AnalogRetentive

quality posts: 0 Private Messages AnalogRetentive
Ringo4422 wrote:Square trade loves Woot. Yes. I've done it with several Woot electronic items.

SquareTrade is listed on the front page, but only for 1 year at $54.99. After you click through, though, you see that you can get an additional year for another $28. 2 years for $82.99.

wkenmomo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wkenmomo

Do this support GPS?

chaosmusician

quality posts: 1 Private Messages chaosmusician

I personally own a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 32gig and here are my thoughts.

Pros:
-Tries Incorporating Apple's Ideas
xx-Lightweight
xx-Thin
xx-Extremely Long Battery Life
xx-Do not add extra slots so it would weigh more
xx-Uses a 30 pin slot which can attach:
xxxx-Power Chord
xxxx-Keyboard Dock
xxxx-USB Adapater
xxxx-SD Card Adapter
xxxx-HDMI Adapter
xxxx-Media Dock
xxxx-Stereo Media Cable
-Uses the Android System Rather than IOS5:
xx-Powered By Google than Apple
xx-Active Community
xx-Lots of free apps
-Has a Keyboard Case!
-Did I mention 2 speakers other than 1 unlike xoom?
Cons:
-Adapter Costs Money
-Only add one add connector at a time
-Costs more than most tablets

Extra Info:
-Not for sale in Germany for being very similar to iPad
-Samsung makes the A5 chip which is the processor for iPad2 and iPhone 4s

Personal Emotions:
-A apple like feel with an android system is really awesome. I never run out of power and the screen is really good. Its like getting the best of both worlds. The features of a iPad but the flexibility of an Android system.
-As a musician I love the dual speakers because its louder and you can hear in stereo and who wouldn't love that.

skwatch

quality posts: 0 Private Messages skwatch
Leslie14 wrote:Would I need a cell-phone plan to use this or could it be used similarly to an iPod Touch?

As others have said, there is no cellular radio, However pairing this with a mobile hotspot from one of the providers will allow you to use wifi almost anywhere.or achieve the same if your phone plan allows wifi tethering.

robertcorriganbishop

quality posts: 0 Private Messages robertcorriganbishop

anyone know how this compares to the 7" version? Newegg has the 7" for $239 refurb and I'm see-sawing on which one to get

jriggy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jriggy

Is thinner and lighter than the masters of small really a good thing? Or does it just mean cheaper parts?

narquespamley

quality posts: 24 Private Messages narquespamley

Refurb Acer Iconia A500 for $20 less at J&R - basically the same specs.

http://www.jr.com/acer-computer/pe/ACE_A50016GB_hy_RB/

shumacher

quality posts: 1 Private Messages shumacher
marziah wrote:Full disclosure: I got a review unit from Samsung because I wrote a book on Android tablets.

That said, this is my favorite full-sized Android tablet. It's thinner and lighter than an iPad, and it's got a similar flat charger that also acts as a USB connector. It's light enough to hold in one hand while you're reading eBooks and big enough to play movies nicely. The Xoom is just so big, heavy, and brick-like compared to this.

I'm skipping this one because of the connector. Samsung uses a PDMI connector wired in a non-PDMI compliant way. My phone, a Dell Streak, uses a PDMI connector wired according to the PDMI standard.

I'm going to let the magic smoke out of something if I buy this.

seamore2001

quality posts: 4 Private Messages seamore2001
hibliss wrote:I would say this is not an Android issue, more a Samsung issue. HTC is very fast with updates on their devices.

Android Orphans: Visualizing a Sad History of Support:
http://theunderstatement.com/post/11982112928/android-orphans-visualizing-a-sad-history-of-support
This only addresses 2009 and through 1H 2010, but I think it's illustrative of the problem...

Chicky67

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Chicky67
ckaminsk wrote:That's ONLY $50-savings over Amazon price. and its Refurb not New. Meh. ... moving on. :-/

The Galaxy tabs at Amazon for $50 more are used - not new. New price is $449.99

jrtbarber

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jrtbarber
jdevenberg wrote:Like an iPod Touch. This is WiFi only, it has no cellular radio in it, so you couldn't use it with a data plan even if you wanted to.

with android OS you can tether it to your cell phone if wifi is unavailable.

cococomey

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cococomey

is this delivered by Christmas? does anyone know?

seamore2001

quality posts: 4 Private Messages seamore2001
ivanivanovich wrote:Are you sure that's what A-GPS means? 'Cause Wikipedia and about.com don't agree.

Info from the cell towers Assists the GPS in resolving position faster or, when GPS signals aren't available, they step in to supply the position.

If a cell signal isn't available, the GPS receiver still functions normally - you get a GPS-based position when you have enough signals, and you don't when you don't.

You're correct. But, I believe this does share the A-GPS chipset with its 4G brethren, since the only difference between the WiFi-only and the 3G/4G version of the device is the cellular radio. However, since the Tab offered by Woot doesn't have a cellular radio, the A-GPS capability isn't usable - only normal GPS.

Ringo4422

saltysteele wrote:what would you do with it if you could get it out? i've got 2 phones that i've had (my wife and kid) for over 2 years and they show no sign of losing any life since we've had them. i don't understand why everyone has to be able to remove the batteries on everything.

We have 3 Samsung Galaxy IIS smart phones in our family and all use the heck out of them. We keep a charged spare battery around (purse, car console, etc.) all the time and have needed them often. It would be nice that if there were no place to charge this I could just plop a charged battery in.
You obviously either don't have a smart phone, or if you do it is being wasted on non use. Batteries run down when you use them.

Ass Clown

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Ass Clown

no USB? no HDMI? no SD card slot?!? iPass...

No-Talent Ass Clown

Ringo4422

AnalogRetentive wrote:SquareTrade is listed on the front page, but only for 1 year at $54.99. After you click through, though, you see that you can get an additional year for another $28. 2 years for $82.99.

35% off today at Square Trade. Find someone with a coupon code and go for the 2 years.

rsinger1

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rsinger1

Ok wooters, this is my first post because I have a dilemma. I HATE apple. never purchased an apple product in my life. As lifes little joke, I happened to win a free iPad from a radio station. Now the more apps I get for it, the further I become entrenched in giving money to apple. Its a 16 gig iPad 1 with Wifi. I'm very conflicted if I should pull the trigger and make the switch since this is such a good deal, or wait for android tablets to get better. As I wait though, the value of my iPad decreases and this deal expires. I'm not even sure how much I could get for my iPad now. Looks like they are going for 350 on ebay. I'm willing to bite the bullet as far as losing apps is concerned because I have an android phone, and its so annoying having to buy things from two different marketplaces that don't sync.

Thoughts? Should I pull the trigger on this or hold out. Feel free to ignore me if you just don't care.

juicius

quality posts: 39 Private Messages juicius
rosros wrote:Price is just OK. TG had an ACER with 32gigs for $350 new. Also, with the next generation processor about to be released prices ought to plummet. The chips are avail now, but the mfgr are waiting to dwindle their invt over the holiday. According to Tiagra chip maker this next chip is already at mfg 10x faster. By 2013 they expect the speeds to be 75x the current chip.

2013 is also almost 2 years away.

Seriously, if you can wait til 2013, then you don't need a tablet -- any tablet -- and probably doesn't even want it. Tech moves fast, especially a new market item like tablets. It didn't even exist before iPad.

If you want it, get it, use it, enjoy it. Sure, there WILL be something cheaper and faster LATER but you pay for use and enjoyment of anything, so why not this?

If you don't need this (and to be honest, very few people NEED a tablet) then wait until the next, best thing. There'll be another next, best thing just over the horizon when you get there though.

For comparison, I had this for a while and really, really liked it. My previous tablet was Xoom that felt big and clunky to me. And Xoom's lack of support (at the time) of Netflix and Hulu+ was a dealbreaker for me. I would've kept Galaxy Tab except the Netflix support was slow in coming. I had already hacked another android tablet to enable Netflix so I didn't like that I couldn't use my flagship tablet for half the things I use my cheap-o hacktastic Viewsonic G-tablet. I have an iPad 2 now but I'm kinda getting tired of restrictions of the dang thing.

jaybeesmith

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jaybeesmith

Bought 1 back in Oct, for my wife. we love it. Although Consumer Digest doesn't actually rate the 16GB 10.1" version, the 32 GB version comes in just behind the Apple.

Tempted to buy one for myself now.

Bryan Smith

juicius

quality posts: 39 Private Messages juicius
rsinger1 wrote:Ok wooters, this is my first post because I have a dilemma. I HATE apple. never purchased an apple product in my life. As lifes little joke, I happened to win a free iPad from a radio station. Now the more apps I get for it, the further I become entrenched in giving money to apple. Its a 16 gig iPad 1 with Wifi. I'm very conflicted if I should pull the trigger and make the switch since this is such a good deal, or wait for android tablets to get better. As I wait though, the value of my iPad decreases and this deal expires. I'm not even sure how much I could get for my iPad now. Looks like they are going for 350 on ebay. I'm willing to bite the bullet as far as losing apps is concerned because I have an android phone, and its so annoying having to buy things from two different marketplaces that don't sync.

Thoughts? Should I pull the trigger on this or hold out. Feel free to ignore me if you just don't care.

I think the least you can get for your iPad 1 is $250. Bargain well and you'll get close to $300. iPad 1 is in demand because it's OOS in retail and still maintains most of its functionality. It's not like android tablet that's being manufactured by 15 different companies, covering a range of functions and price points.

BTW, I'd sell it as a kid's Christmas present. Upsell the huge number of educational apps and ease of use and some parents will buy it, guaranteed. It's not cheap, but some parent will look at useless toys they were considering and then your iPad and will get yours.

robertcorriganbishop

quality posts: 0 Private Messages robertcorriganbishop

In reply to Jucius-
Personally, I would pull the trigger. Android tablets may get just a bit cheaper after the new year for this years versions, but the new faster tablets will be full price for awhile. Thats just my 2 cents. You may also have better luck selling your ipad now for someone for christmas.

chrispdunning

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chrispdunning
niceum wrote:Can you get a memory card for this thing? What's better, this or the Kindle Fire for $200?

If you're considering those options, I'd say the nook tablet at $250. Rooted. It has some really great specs for a device in this price range (better than the Fire). Unrooted I'd go with the Fire.

flyfisherwiz

quality posts: 4 Private Messages flyfisherwiz

For the bold and brave, how to overclock to 1.4ghz!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2H4s3rsfRg

clemww

quality posts: 0 Private Messages clemww

can you load Eudora on this tab? or other software for that matter?