4%
3%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

wootalyzer

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wootalyzer

Wootalyzer's Pricing Post! - The price of today's woot item is saved here for future reference
------------------------------------------------------------
Singer Sewing Machine and Stylist Serger
$279.99 + $5 Shipping
Condition: New

*DISCLAIMER* Wootalyzer! is in no way affiliated with Woot!, and this post may not always be here!

devexityspace

quality posts: 25 Private Messages devexityspace

This is really a great deal. I've been looking for something to get for my Aunt for Christmas.. This might be something myself and a few other family members can chip in for.

You can't go wrong with Singer, no other brand comes close!

Bunnies Ogling Carrots Count: 6
Todd's Dirt: 6
Monkey Count: 3
Woot Lights Count: 1
Leak Frogs: 0

moonrock

quality posts: 1 Private Messages moonrock

I'd potentially buy one if it was JUST the sewing machine. I don't need a sewing machine *and* a serger. Why would you buy both?

theguruguys

quality posts: 276 Private Messages theguruguys

I ripped a small hole in one of my jeans, I thought about how easy it would be to fix with one of these.Then I realized the hole was barely noticeable and just said sew what...

bpeterson82

quality posts: 52 Private Messages bpeterson82

Ugh, I got this for the wife LAST year! C'mon Woot, I need THIS YEARS gifts...

NavyDallas

quality posts: 7 Private Messages NavyDallas

Thalidomide could have prevented little Tommy's shirt-induced angst.

Better living through chemistry.

A genuine original Woot!-istanian.

poolgirlblue

quality posts: 0 Private Messages poolgirlblue

http://www.amazon.com/Singer-Scholastic-Machine-Patterns-5523/dp/B00669PBVW/ref=sr_1_1?s=miscellaneous&ie=UTF8&qid=1322892111&sr=1-1

Amazon has the machine by itself for $1 less. so for $1 you get a Serger with this deal.,

Don't like the fact that there aren't any reviews on the product though.

whatsamattaU

quality posts: 1077 Private Messages whatsamattaU

bpeterson82

quality posts: 52 Private Messages bpeterson82
moonrock wrote:I'd potentially buy one if it was JUST the sewing machine. I don't need a sewing machine *and* a serger. Why would you buy both?

Um, just sell the serger on eBay/Craigslist/OWS protest...wait, the last one will only pay you in Starbucks coffee and cigarettes.

funda62

quality posts: 4 Private Messages funda62
moonrock wrote:I'd potentially buy one if it was JUST the sewing machine. I don't need a sewing machine *and* a serger. Why would you buy both?

They do very different things. A serger finishes the seams of garments. It can't do simple mending, sew on a button, or do top-stitching. I sew clothing and quilts and can't live without both!

spithril

quality posts: 0 Private Messages spithril

It's cheaper here if you don't look at the shipping cost:
http://www.meijer.com/s/singer-stylist-14sh764-serger/_/R-203077

pupyluvr

quality posts: 51 Private Messages pupyluvr

Hmm... I'd sew totally buy it buy because I need a new singer but it doesn't look like it's compatible with Flacc or Ogg.

itsjusthen

quality posts: 1 Private Messages itsjusthen

Is this the same sewing machine + serger they had last time?

bluejester

quality posts: 569 Private Messages bluejester

I went to the wife for an answer on that one. Apparently, the Serger is good for sewing stretchy fabric such as what we find on an average woot shirt.

So, if you ever do damage to your woot shirt, then this would come in handy. Especially if you're like me and you have a ton of "favorite" woot shirts.

micaelaanna

quality posts: 14 Private Messages micaelaanna

My sister owns the Singer Sewing Machine and loves it. Uses it weekly and said it was simple to learn with many different stitch options.

mvsopen

quality posts: 44 Private Messages mvsopen

I bought this pair the last time Woot had this deal, and we love it! Works better than advertised, and the serger sells locally for more than the combined set does here.

Moonrock asked why buy both? The serger makes all the difference between a home-sewn shirt and something that looks professionally made. Look at the seams at the end of your shirt sleeves, or at the waist. See that neat little 3/4 inch sewn strip? That was done with a serger. A standard sewing machine can't duplicate that.

vbarrus

quality posts: 2 Private Messages vbarrus

A serger is so nice to have. It cuts and overlocks (finishes) all the edges. I use mine almost more than my machine. This a a great duo for the price.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 605 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

spithril wrote:It's cheaper here if you don't look at the shipping cost:
http://www.meijer.com/s/singer-stylist-14sh764-serger/_/R-203077

Uhm, that's for just the serger. You get both here.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

sandydell

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sandydell

I have been sewing since I was a kid and prefer Singer by far. It has always been extraordinarily reliable. I've owned two Singers since the 70s (they last a long time) and used my mom's before that, and until a computer took all my time in the past 10 years, all my clothes were homemade so those machines got a lot of heavy use. If you want your garments to look professionally finished, you use the serger to finish (and trim) the seams on the inside. You can also do a professional hem with the serger and lots of other things. This price is beyond phenomenal for what you're getting.

mbk21

quality posts: 4 Private Messages mbk21

They do different things, really. A sewing machine does all the stitches and stuff that we're used to seeing sewing machines do. A serger does edges and hems and the like. These guys explain it well: http://sewing.about.com/od/sergersoverlock/ss/serger.htm

Also I've done all the research, and your name does not, in fact, have to be Sergio for you to purchase and successfully operate a serger. (But it helps.)

desertjann

quality posts: 0 Private Messages desertjann

I already have a good sewing machine but I would love to have a serger. Why are they a combined offer?

spithril

quality posts: 0 Private Messages spithril
ThunderThighs wrote:Uhm, that's for just the serger. You get both here.

Thanks I just noticed that woot was selling both for the price. I at first thought it was pick one. This is an awesome deal!

rgmekanic

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rgmekanic

Found the amazon links..

http://www.amazon.com/Singer-Scholastic-Machine-Patterns-5523/dp/B00669PBVW

http://www.amazon.com/SINGER-14SH654-Finishing-Sewing-Machine/dp/B00005NWQR/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1322893268&sr=8-1

Comes to about $500 with shipping. I may jump on this for my mother

mbk21

Right now I'm using a Singer sewing machine that was built in 1925 (yes, it's 87 years old) and was retrofitted for electricity in the 1950s. I'm ready for an upgrade.

While most Singers today are made in China, they still have a good reputation. I would also imagine that since they own such a big share of the market, parts and repair people would be relatively easy to find.

mbk21

Will buying this Woot expedite my application for residency in Santa Poco?

Cocontom

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Cocontom

Just an FYI for hems- this does a rolled hem, it does not do a coverhem. The rolled hem is like the thread covered edge of a sheer dress, the coverhem is what you'd find on a t-shirt hem. That takes a much more expensive serger with at least 5 threads or a specialty machine.

skywarrior3

quality posts: 47 Private Messages skywarrior3

Would this be able to sew leather or thick fabrics?

www.howlingdead.com

ReneeDj3

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ReneeDj3
devexityspace wrote:
You can't go wrong with Singer, no other brand comes close!

I beg to differ. They're one of those brands that have rested on their laurels in recent years. Some are good, some are just plain lousy. I outta know, I sell 'em.

BetsyJxn

quality posts: 1 Private Messages BetsyJxn

Are you kidding me? Singer is about the worst brand out there! I sew a lot and I am quite certain I will never own a Singer. They *used* to be good and if you can get your hands on a machine built 30 or 40 years ago it will last forever. But today's machines? No way!

Silound

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Silound

Methinks the writers of Woot have been watching Snatch on Blu-Ray

Also, for the price this is a great starter set for almost anyone. Pity more people don't know their way around a sewing machine these days.

kevinbarlow

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kevinbarlow

Since you sell this brand, ReneeDj3, what do you know and think about these two models. Good, bad, or ugly?! I am interested for my wife. Looking for a qualified recommendation. Someone who sells Singer would know. Thanks!

bunnymasseuse

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bunnymasseuse

I have a Singer sewing machine from atleast 1970, it could be older. It works great for me. However when I was looking for a good serger I did not find any good Singers with 5 thread, so I ended up with a Bernina... Worth the added cost and bought it through a local fabric store in the DC metro area who has free classes on how to use it or help keep it running smoothly. These do need minor upkeep/maintenance if you use them often (oil or approved recommended brand-related product).

Sewing machine would only do leather if it supported a leather appropriate needle and the work would need to be done slowly if it worked at all.

Did I miss whether this came with a foot pedal for the sewing machine?

121 Woots and counting

Cocontom

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Cocontom
kevinbarlow wrote:Since you sell this brand, ReneeDj3, what do you know and think about these two models. Good, bad, or ugly?! I am interested for my wife. Looking for a qualified recommendation. Someone who sells Singer would know. Thanks!

A qualified recommendation pretty much means nothing without knowing about your wife. Has she been thinking about learning to sew, or has she been sewing her whole life and is just tired of her machine?

I would class both of these as starter machines, except that the sewing machine does not have real speed control (they all have speed control with the pedal, some have limiters on the machine itself).

They will not be an upgrade from most modern machines. This might be an upgrade from the Singer serger my grandmother bought at Sam's Club in the 90s that she gave me after it sat in her garage for 10+ years.

GTstyle

quality posts: 0 Private Messages GTstyle

In for the set

Woot
  • Lights & Monkeys
  • 3/1/09 - Recaro
  • 6/19/08 - MS S&T w/GPS
  • 3/28/08 - HP m9040n
  • 7/22/07 - Weather Stat
  • 7/19/07 - Whistler DE1770
  • 7/19/07 - Inverter
  • 7/12/07 - Bundles of Clones/li>
  • 6/25/07 - Nokia 770
    Shirt
  • random = lots
  • 3/22/08 - CDN Periodic Table
  • 1/4/08 - Tag
  • 9/19/07 - Deer By #
  • 8/17/07 - Reality Isn't For Everyone
  • 8/10/07 - Dead Heat
  • 7/23/07 - Sore Thumbs
    Sellout
  • 4/1/08 - IR Thermometer
  • 12/24/07 - Flashlight/Radio
  • 10/12/07 - Desk Caddy

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 605 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

bunnymasseuse wrote:I have a Singer sewing machine from atleast 1970, it could be older. It works great for me. However when I was looking for a good serger I did not find any good Singers with 5 thread, so I ended up with a Bernina... Worth the added cost and bought it through a local fabric store in the DC metro area who has free classes on how to use it or help keep it running smoothly. These do need minor upkeep/maintenance if you use them often (oil or approved recommended brand-related product).

Sewing machine would only do leather if it supported a leather appropriate needle and the work would need to be done slowly if it worked at all.

Did I miss whether this came with a foot pedal for the sewing machine?

Foot pedal is listed at the bottom as "In the box". You're good to put your pedal to the metal.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

mrlucky2u

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mrlucky2u

Hey moonrock, my MIL wants just the Serger. Maybe we can work something out?

lildetroitmama

quality posts: 9 Private Messages lildetroitmama

I need just the serger. I already have 2 sewing machines... let's split this woot!!!

maveness

quality posts: 0 Private Messages maveness

I'd be glad to go halvesies with someone on this. I want the Serger... I already have a sewing machine.

Email me: tovishbiz (at) that google mail address everybody knows.