sawbones84

quality posts: 7 Private Messages sawbones84
redfox1160 wrote:Can this connect to a standard definition TV with RCA cables, or is it HDMI only?

you know if you click on the picture it will give you a pop up window that shows you different views of the product, including the back where all the outputs are

barsa

quality posts: 1 Private Messages barsa

I really don't understand what this is used for.

cmangel518

quality posts: 2 Private Messages cmangel518
gallogj wrote:I bought this last week when it was a feature woot item. If I have ONE complaint it's that there isn't a SD card slot in these older models. With no SD card slot, there is a limit to how many channels you can install and have show up on your home screen. I installed like 15 channels and it wouldn't let me put more on there! How do they expect me to fit all of the free Food Network channels when I only have 15 or so to choose from?

You might want to reach out to Roku tech support. I have over 30 channels on mine...same model...and no issues.

Woots since 9/2/2008: Woots 34 (Barrels of Crud 8), Kids 3, Shirts 2, Wine 1, Sellout 2. = a bunch of useless/useful items.

bwicks

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bwicks
Caffeineismydrug wrote:Can I stream content from my home network?

Yes and no; direct out of the box it will not but there is a "channel" that you can purchase that will allow you to try to stream all your home movies (if that is what you are trying to do); however, it is difficult to setup and use. If you have a lot of MPEG4 movies on your home network you want to watch it is probably better to go with WDTV Live.

bhavard

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bhavard

Roku: noun. def- An inability to move secondary to extreme entertainment.

JoeMarfice

quality posts: 3 Private Messages JoeMarfice
Katmandoo122 wrote:Bought this a little while ago on a previous Woot. Since Woot hasn't bothered to ship it yet, can't say how good it is. Hopefully very good though.

Mine arrived last week. It was a breeze setting up, and my roommate attached his Netflix account with no problems.

Setting up a streaming channel for the vids on my computer was less easy. First you install Plex:
https://plexapp.com/
and then you set up a channel. Then Plex crashes 4-5 times. Then you delete the channel and start over. Then it works.

Plex is freeware, and in beta, so YGWYPF, but seems to be working OK now. I'll contribute to the project $oon, since it's working for me.

Final analysis: awesome if you have pay video service (Netflix, Amazon, whatever); techie fiddling if you want to stream from your downloaded collection, but workable.

ktischler

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ktischler

But the LT is not HD.

DeeDee4

quality posts: 1 Private Messages DeeDee4

Would you please go to the NEXT ITEM please.....ENOUGH already!

eldiablohijo

quality posts: 35 Private Messages eldiablohijo
dbcooper wrote:....if NetFlix is the only streaming service you are interested in.

What else does it offer my PS3 or Google TV wouldn't?

captmeach7

quality posts: 2 Private Messages captmeach7

Since there are too many differences between the Roku line ( XD,XDS,HD,2 models) I just bought a Sony player. The Roku 2 HD is $48 on the Roku site and I almost bit, but I just like the features on the Sony better.

domurat

quality posts: 2 Private Messages domurat

Said it before and I'll say it again, For $20 more, get the new model with new remote and not refurbished at amazon. Then you can watch all the Glenn beck you want.

amazon: roku 2 XD Streaming Player 1080p

And check the comparison chart at the bottom, spend $100 and get the slick motion controller with angry birds preloaded!

cwarren1968

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cwarren1968

Not directly. You *can*, but you need to install Roku software on your server, and have the video formatted a certain way. I do have a bunch of movies archived on my network, but I use another media player upstairs for that, and I'm not going to reformat ALL my video to do that.

I picked up one of these a while back to (wirelessly) stream Netflix, etc, in the basement. This works fine for my intended usage.

cruzmail

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cruzmail

Just got mine delivered from a previous sale last Friday.

I was very pleasantly surprised by how incredibly easy it was to set up! Simply plug in power AND plug in your choice of component cables (included - you know those red/white/yellow ones) or your own supplied HDMI cable.

That's it. Unit booted up and asked a few setup questions like Wireless network name/password and roku account info (free to sign up but you have to supply a credit card in case you ever purchase one of the non-free channels).

Minutes later I was watching Hulu and Netflix in great quality HD (I used the HDMI cable).

User interface seems VERY easy to use. Reminded my of an old TIVO I used to have. I feel confident even grandma will have no problems using it from time to time.

lightknight

quality posts: 7 Private Messages lightknight

In for one.

Before our cable company tried to jack up our prices so high that we ended up switching to a company that gave us TV and cable for the same price, we watch Hulu plus and Netflix exclusively.

This box is perfect. You could potentially stop paying for TV at all and just treat Netflix like your movie channel (with plenty of other stuff) and Hulu plus like your TV. We did that and were never without entertainment. (the only difficulty was sports)

Chickaboo1962

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Chickaboo1962
jbchro wrote:I am confused, does this thing allow you to watch netflix without a netflix account?

Because if that is the case then this is easily worth every penny.

Nope, you need a streaming subscription - $7.99 a month.
I have the generation 2 unit and absolutely love it!

♫♫♫♫♫ Woot♪a♪licious ♫♫♫♫♫

cswingler

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cswingler
jasonking0351 wrote:So this refurb DOES use the 5ghz dual broadband and the new units do not?

Correct. That's why I hopped on this one - the 2.4GHz band is horribly polluted where I live.

dbcooper

quality posts: 16 Private Messages dbcooper
eldiablohijo wrote:What else does it offer my PS3 or Google TV wouldn't?

Seek and ye shall find:

Official Roku Channels
Hidden Roku Channels

<life>...insert something interesting here...</life>

SumDuud

quality posts: 21 Private Messages SumDuud
ZetaDrac wrote:Same item and price as November 25. What's the point of a Woot-off?

Well if you're going to be like that then consider it matching black friday weekend/cyber Monday prices. The woot off is where they clear out the warehouse, it isn't where you come in and get a better deal... most of the time.

Let's see the quality impulse buys!
Wooter to blame for sellout: SumDuud
Sellout time: 8:11:25 AM Central Time

SumDuud

quality posts: 21 Private Messages SumDuud
barsa wrote:I really don't understand what this is used for.

watching streaming tv and taking the cable man's hand out of your pocket a little bit.

Let's see the quality impulse buys!
Wooter to blame for sellout: SumDuud
Sellout time: 8:11:25 AM Central Time

cycokiller

quality posts: 6 Private Messages cycokiller
BigRedDogATL wrote:You can order the new model Roku2 XD box for 20% off the regular $59 price, which makes it $47 and cheaper than this older model refurb.

Not really a good deal, but Woot will sell out of them anyway.

Where are you shopping? And hook me up man! The only Roku2 XD I can find is $79 (before discounts) and has no ethernet port.

4F682120446F6E277420746F756368206D652074686572652100

Psystal

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Psystal

I guess you can only carry the same product so many times before it just doesn't sell...

MrVitale

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MrVitale

Indeed you can.

http://www.lockergnome.com/it/2011/03/09/stream-video-from-pc-to-roku-box/ shows you how.

Basically you add a channel to the Roku that allows it to connect to a computer on your LAN.

You'll must likely have to convert the movie files you want to watch b/c I think it only supports .mov and .mp4 but there's plenty of free converters out there for all OS's.

Everbody

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Everbody
redfox1160 wrote:Can this connect to a standard definition TV with RCA cables, or is it HDMI only?

Yes! See the second or third picture by clicking on the main pic.

Need an HDMI cable? Cheap at Meritline.com!

------------------------
Quid malmborg im Plano
------------------------

whitefacedsimony

quality posts: 3 Private Messages whitefacedsimony

I don't believe the Roku XD comes with dual band wireless.

The Roku XDS does or did come with dual band.

colbytitus

quality posts: 4 Private Messages colbytitus
domurat wrote:Said it before and I'll say it again, For $20 more, get the new model with new remote and not refurbished at amazon. Then you can watch all the Glenn beck you want.

amazon: roku 2 XD Streaming Player 1080p

And check the comparison chart at the bottom, spend $100 and get the slick motion controller with angry birds preloaded!

It's $25 more shipped and doesn't have Ethernet so the Woot deal looks way better to me. The only advantage I see on the newer one is Bluetooth which I would never use.

pearmask

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pearmask
barsa wrote:I really don't understand what this is used for.

SumDuud wrote:watching streaming tv and taking the cable man's hand out of your pocket a little bit.

I didn't understand for a long time, but now that I've bought a zillion different cables and adapters to accommodate hooking the various laptop models in our household up to our two TVs (one very old with S-video, one newer one with HDMI), I've spent more than I would have spent if I'd just gotten one of these, and we still have issues getting everything to work right. If you watch Netflix/Hulu+/etc., want to watch them on a big TV screen instead of on a computer sometimes, and don't have a TV and computer that happen to play nice with each other, it's a good thing to have.

jawood2

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jawood2

I emailed to cancel the order I placed moments ago. Hope it succeeds.

jasonking0351

quality posts: 16 Private Messages jasonking0351
cswingler wrote:Correct. That's why I hopped on this one - the 2.4GHz band is horribly polluted where I live.

So true! I know their internal testing didn't show much benefit with dual band...but I've got to think that streaming using the dual band would have less contention with a busy 2.4 network in a real world environment.

evan1t

quality posts: 0 Private Messages evan1t

How do sports work with one of these? What can I get?

chopsuey35

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chopsuey35

Wow.. this deal is pretty bad. You can buy the new Roku 2 XD for $59. This is just the first Roku XD.

gill2003

quality posts: 1 Private Messages gill2003

Alright, you guys talked me into it. I just picked one up. From my comparison, it seems price wise the closest comparison is the Roku 2 HD.

What I like about this one over Roku 2 HD:

1080p. Although the TV this is planned for is a tube version, I plan to upgrade soon to 1080p flat screen, so buying this one is thinking ahead.

Ethernet. Right now, I plan to use wireless, but if that doesn't workout like I plan I have the cable to fall back on.

Advanced Remote. Honestly, I don't know what it does special, but it is value added.

What I do not like about this one over the Roku 2 HD:

SD support. I read one grumble about only being able to load 15 channels. The rebuttal claims this may have been a localized problem and that at least 30 channels can be loaded.

This is my first Roku purchase and I think this will be a great entry into internet TV. I am buying the one off Woot since I can get a taste of expanded features at a price I can afford to take a risk at. I have more than one TV and if all goes well I will consider purchasing more of these.

Bottomline: As a newb wanting to take advantage of value priced television programming, I think this is a great purchase.

tokkio

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tokkio

This streams 1080p not 720p. Wrong model you're comparing this to.

lalov1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lalov1

You can use RCA cables too! Look at the image of the ports.

mbrickell

quality posts: 9 Private Messages mbrickell

I scrapped cable a while back on principle because I started thinking about what TV was costing me over a 5 year span. Ridiculous. Anyway, I bought an OTA antenna from Radio Shack and got an Apple TV and a Netflix account. No regrets, and saving a ton of $. OTA channels come in with better def than my high def cable ever provided. Much content on Netflix, podcasts, etc. On the odd occasion that I HAVE to have a new release movie, it's Redbox or PPV via the ATV.

You could do the same here, I think, with the Roku substituted for the Apple TV. Your wallet will thank you. OTA antenna + streaming media box of some type + the occasional Redbox or PPV rental = the way to go. If you need more than that, you're watching too much television.

sdclark1958

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sdclark1958

It supports composite video (RCA) and HDMI. I installed on last week for a standard def TV.

sdclark

jesuitson

quality posts: 3 Private Messages jesuitson

This Roku doesn't support optical audio, s-video or component video. This is fine if you have newer equipment (tv, receiver, etc.) but it will give you problems hooking up to older receivers that use optical audio inputs. Deal breaker for me.

IMO, the best Roku they made with the most connect options was the Roku HD-XR. It had features that the new "top of the line" models don't.

crooner

quality posts: 1 Private Messages crooner

got one on Woot . It is a come-on Lotz of ads and come-ons for subscriptions. Picture quality sux!

palionu

quality posts: 0 Private Messages palionu

click on the image, it comes supplied with a RCA cable.

trujunglist

quality posts: 1 Private Messages trujunglist

I bought one of these last week and I love it. Roksbox is really easy to use. Good for SD TVs. I'm picking up another one for my mom for Xmas.

dbcooper

quality posts: 16 Private Messages dbcooper
gill2003 wrote:Alright, you guys talked me into it. I just picked one up. From my comparison, it seems price wise the closest comparison is the Roku 2 HD.

What I like about this one over Roku 2 HD:

1080p. Although the TV this is planned for is a tube version, I plan to upgrade soon to 1080p flat screen.

Ethernet. Right now, I plan to use wireless, but if that doesn't workout like I plan I have the cable to fall back on.

Advanced Remote. Honestly, I don't know what it does special, but it is value added.

What I do not like about this one over the Roku 2 HD:

SD support. I read one grumble about only being able to load 15 channels. The rebuttal claims this may have been a localized problem and that at least 30 channels can be loaded.

This is my first Roku purchase and I think this will be a great entry into internet TV. I am buying the one off Woot since I can get a taste of expanded features at a price I can afford to take a risk at. I have more than one TV and if all goes well I will consider purchasing more of these.

Bottomline: As a newb wanting to take advantage of value priced television programming, I think this is a great purchase.

Very well thought out. I can tell you, you will like this roku.

<life>...insert something interesting here...</life>