rsleddy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rsleddy
jkmix1982 wrote:It uses the internet in your home to stream video content to your TV. Netflix, Youtube, and dozens of free channels are at your fingertips. I own an AppleTV and a BluRay player which offer the same type of service, but Roku has the widest number of "channels" available.

Keep in mind that Roku does not have a YouTube Channel. There was an unofficial private one but that had to be shut down due to licensing issues. Only those who added the private channel prior to the shutdown have it.

kbwoof15

quality posts: 7 Private Messages kbwoof15
barsa wrote:I really don't understand what this is used for.

to watch internet stuff on your tv, like netflix or hulu.

eldiablohijo

quality posts: 35 Private Messages eldiablohijo

Alan3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Alan3

Why would you buy this from Woot when Roku has the same deal with free shipping?

cmangel518

quality posts: 2 Private Messages cmangel518

I'm partial to my old Roku, but the old Roku is less expensive than the newer models, plus they can have an ethernet port.

Here is a video comparison of the Roku (1) XD vs the Roku 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OlnKn9Ejes.
Shows everthing from the size, remote, ports, channels, functionality, etc.

I've lost track of all of useless/useful items I've purchased since April 09, 2007.

Einsteinus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Einsteinus

I got one of these in a bag O Crap

darkomandic

quality posts: 1 Private Messages darkomandic

Woot, this is not fer at all. Is this woot off or what. Keeping one item for 2 hours is completely ignorant toward thousands of people sitting in front of their screen. Take the roku and show it up your a..

dbcooper

quality posts: 16 Private Messages dbcooper
Alan3 wrote:Why would you buy this from Woot when Roku has the same deal with free shipping?

Uhh... Because Roku DOESN'T have the same deal with free shipping?

<life>...insert something interesting here...</life>

thedarklordsnicklefritz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thedarklordsnicklefritz
Caffeineismydrug wrote:Can I stream content from my home network?

Generally speaking, no. But you can use plex. http://www.plexapp.com/ It even has its own channel you can download on the roku and looks really sleek. I love mine.

zxn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zxn
Caffeineismydrug wrote:Can I stream content from my home network?

It can be done but this Roku player can only read a few limited file formats (not .avi). You would likely need to convert all your files to be able to watch them. I don't know if they added any decoders to the Roku 2.

With all the content available on the Roku, a lot of it free, I decided against streaming it from the computer and instead use my XBOX 360 to watch streaming stuff.

dburroughs01

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dburroughs01
redfox1160 wrote:Can this connect to a standard definition TV with RCA cables, or is it HDMI only?

Mine came with RCA cables. The HDMI is somrthing that is not included w/this box.

mrjohno

quality posts: 3 Private Messages mrjohno

I love my Roku. Have had a standard def one for years, just bought this model last time it was on Woot. Just got it fri and no issues so far with the XD. Using it wireless now and picture quality is good. You can choose a fixed bitrate manually if you like, but the automatic function works pretty well.
To access menu for bitrate hit "home" 5 times, "rewind" 3 times and "fast forward" 2 times.

ivanivanovich

quality posts: 24 Private Messages ivanivanovich

Okay, I bought. I think I'm going to wish it had USB because how else am I going to watch the awesome video captures from the night vision device I bought from woot?

But ... baby steps. I haven't watched TV in 10 years. Haven't even seen 10 movies in 10 years. But my Amazon Prime subscription is going to waste because I spend all my money on woot instead of Amazon.

So I shall watch TV. And movies.

I didn't get it a week and a half ago because I didn't have a TV. Or a monitor bigger than 12". But my son dumped a monitor on me yesterday that he got from woot and never used. Still in its woot box.

If I decide to upgrade to an S Roku for the USB port, I'll return the favor and dump this Roku on him.

trujunglist

quality posts: 1 Private Messages trujunglist
tesora wrote:Does it also get iTunes (from your computer) and the iTunes store? Or do you need to get an apple TV to do that?

With Roksbox, you can stream your music, and I think Chaneru goes directly through iTunes.

dessndave

quality posts: 2 Private Messages dessndave

i admit roku2 does have specific issues
but they work on firmware constantly.
firmware usually auto updates.
most of the time u will not know it.
I have yet to have issues with my roku2 since it came out.
No complaints here I love it even if its 720 only. I have the roku2 hd.

Dave & Dessa

Justgrooven

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Justgrooven

I just signed in and see we have a Woot off and as has been the case in the past year's WOs I have not missed a thing.

daventhel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages daventhel

I'm a big fan of free tv. I don't subscribe to anything. I use an antenna at home or a PC to watch free internet tv like the network stuff.(cbs.com & acb....) Does this device allow viewing of TV network like CBS? or only sites that require subscriptions?

dessndave

quality posts: 2 Private Messages dessndave

sofar nothing missed.

Dave & Dessa

tubesguyvino

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tubesguyvino

1) It streams, just streams. No free cable, no live feeds of "The Tonight Show", no nothing else.

2) It streams many, many more things than your internet TV, your Blu-Ray player, your Wii.

3) This one has 1080p capability and wired, as well as wireless, connectivity.

After recommending Roku to others for a long time, I bought two last week. Installed one in ten minutes, via wired connection, and stream to my 1080p television. Perfect.

Added a few private channels yesterday, including BBC World news and Al Jazeera. Still have room for Glenn Beck TV, though, I guess.

tnines

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tnines

This is taking forever. People please buy this, I wanna see whats next

whitefacedsimony

quality posts: 3 Private Messages whitefacedsimony
elefante72 wrote:A few things as a longtime roku user:

1. Wireless can kill you. The new Rokus only work on the crowded 2.4 ghx channel. If you have lots of neighbors or suboptimal location your picture will suffer. In addition if you happen to use other wireless devices in the house, forget it. Just try to stream two devices at the same time. Netflix will adapt, but you definitely can see it.
2. This one has ethernet, only the new $100 Roku 2 does. Mine is flawless on hardwired. If you dont have ethernet runs, you can do moca or powerline (I personally use Moca for all my streaming where cat5e is not available--it works flawlessly too).
3. The lowest Roku2 (which is really 3rd gen) will stream HD (720p) which if you have bandwitdth caps, you dont want to use 1080p. 720p for 95% of the people is adequate. The other 5% are purists.
4. Remote - No netflix button. Well it takes 5 seconds to find netflix, hardly a deal breaker. If you get a logitech, it can replace that remote too, down to a $10 URC which is 10times better. I dont even remember what the remote looks like.
5. Subtitles. Apparently only Roku 2 (2011 models) can do subtitles, however that is for secondary subtitles. Forced subtitiles (stuff not in english) work just fine. I have not seen a need for this. Unless you are looking for spanish, or other languages you should be fine. Not a lot of content supports it yet.
6. Wattage. Mine takes 6 Watts, new ones 3 watts.

IMHO the wireless is the deal killer on the roku 2, so I will pass on this generation. 2010 models are better from a connectivity purpose, and IF wireless doesn't work with 2011, you either pony up $100 for connectivity, or buy 2 of these and have the option, or you return and think roku is junk (which it is not), just the corporate decision to get rid of 5GHz and wired ethernet was.

If my xbox gets amazon, I wont need roku anymore, so here's hoping.

I just bought a new dual band wireless router and created a video network on the 5 Ghz. My massive 1.06 Mbps broadband connection works much faster on my older Roku XDS. I get 3 and 4 dots signal strength now and my picture and loading speeds have improved greatly.

aviarist

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aviarist

Had this one, upgraded recently to the new box. Being able to watch Al Jazeera during Arab Spring, or Nippon TV during the Tsunami aftermath is worth the price. If you are a newshound, this is a great buy.

jbenfield

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jbenfield
elefante72 wrote:A few things as a longtime roku user:

1. Wireless can kill you. The new Rokus only work on the crowded 2.4 ghx channel. If you have lots of neighbors or suboptimal location your picture will suffer. In addition if you happen to use other wireless devices in the house, forget it. Just try to stream two devices at the same time. Netflix will adapt, but you definitely can see it.
2. This one has ethernet, only the new $100 Roku 2 does. Mine is flawless on hardwired. If you dont have ethernet runs, you can do moca or powerline (I personally use Moca for all my streaming where cat5e is not available--it works flawlessly too).

Weird. I have about 16 active wireless devices on N&G and 5 neighbours with active networks in range. The Roku is cruising just fine. I prefer wired, but I have a few rooms where fishing the line has been a hassle and I have the Roku in one of them. I've had the contention issues with other devices and with trying to use an 802.11n adapter with my NMT, but I was really pleasantly surprised by the Roku.

Part of it may be the pairing of router and Roku. I've seen that before with some routers (*cough* rhymes with Pet-rear *cough*) where they just choke on multiple high-bandwidth connections or on certain device pairings. However, my D-Link DIR-655 seems to really like the adapter in the Roku. To be fair, the Dlink doesn't seem to like certain Realtek chipsets (like in Patriot adapters), but it likes this Broadcom in the Roku. So the take-away is that your mileage may vary.

pietro176

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pietro176
redfox1160 wrote:Can this connect to a standard definition TV with RCA cables, or is it HDMI only?

Yeah, I bought one when it was on normal Woot! in November and just hooked it up with the standard red-white (audio) yellow (video) hook ups. It's very cool. I've only just started playing with it and I love it.

starmanbackwards

quality posts: 8 Private Messages starmanbackwards

cant help wondering how long will the roku 2 xs incarnation will be on WooT..
or has it already and i missed it? anyone?

gertiestn

quality posts: 57 Private Messages gertiestn

I fell asleep before 1 a.m. & spent an entire night sleeping instead of wooting off. Will I go to hell for this?

mwgiii

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mwgiii

If this was a Roku 2, I would be all over it. But it is the old model.

jbenfield

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jbenfield

Is it just me or is this the third or fourth time that the progress bar has jumped backwards?

mbrickell

quality posts: 9 Private Messages mbrickell

thank yoooooouuuuuuuuu!

squiegy

quality posts: 1 Private Messages squiegy

Will any of these boxes be of any great use in about a year's time when all the Internet digital access providers nail everyone for data volume use? You will end up paying soon for heavy gigabit /month streaming. Already on the phones and coming soon to your digital streams.

elroyard

quality posts: 0 Private Messages elroyard

Bought one on Nov. 25. Received on Dec. 2nd not a bad ship time but it showed up without a power cable??? Sent e-mail to service but nothing yet... Did this happen to anyone else who ordered it on the 25th?

mikem23

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mikem23
Cabs21 wrote:From what I have read and looked at. No you can not. That is the deal breaker for me. I have an extensive home network but if I cannot access it this box is useless to me.

I bought one last week and I am indeed streaming from my home network via the private roksbox channel (see roksbox.com). It works with a regular http server, which I already had set up.

Note that roksbox requires a one-time $15 fee after the free trial period, though I believe there are other free private channel options for streaming.

llamallamaduck

quality posts: 3 Private Messages llamallamaduck
andresitopito wrote:this older model does not support closed captions if streaming netflix.The newer models appear to do so.

http://support.roku.com/entries/20345913-product-comparison-all-roku-player-models

I almost canceled my order when I read this, but then I came across this thread on the Roku site:

http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?p=299679&sid=e4a5c382d4465f410ed684b7aebc7a12

Apparently, even on the Roku 2 subtitles with Netflix are not really working properly--and have not been for some time.

Big Toe

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Big Toe
pmwoot1 wrote:Be warned:

In order to use this you have to give a credit card to Roku. They will hold it on their site, even if you intend to buy nothing from them, even if you already pay for Netflix or July.

Not true. You have an option to skip that step during the link process.

herberje

quality posts: 0 Private Messages herberje

This is not the Roku 2, but the previous version Refurbed. I just got mine last week from Woot and it works great. New version has some additional features like optical audio but not much more.

Pearljr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Pearljr
herberje wrote:This is not the Roku 2, but the previous version Refurbed. I just got mine last week from Woot and it works great. New version has some additional features like optical audio but not much more.

last night I purchased from the ROKU site the ROKU 2 HD _this will go into the bedroom - that is the one that was on sale over the weekend - I already own the ROKU XD on the small kitchen tv. The difference that sold me on the ROKU 2 HD was that is had a micro sd slot so that you can add many more channels then the older models.

baldbear

quality posts: 0 Private Messages baldbear
pmwoot1 wrote:Be warned:

In order to use this you have to give a credit card to Roku. They will hold it on their site, even if you intend to buy nothing from them, even if you already pay for Netflix or July.

I've never registered my credit card on the Roku site. It's been 2 years.

doog

quality posts: 0 Private Messages doog
Katmandoo122 wrote:Bought this a little while ago on a previous Woot. Since Woot hasn't bothered to ship it yet, can't say how good it is. Hopefully very good though.

It IS very good! Mine unaccountably arrived two days earlier than smartpostrackbot e-threatened. Probably I got yours.

shawshah

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shawshah

I bought it and I sure hope this is 1080p as according to Amazon, it is NOT. Only the Roku XD and Roku XD|S play 1080p video??:

http://www.amazon.com/Roku-XD-1080p-Streaming-Player/dp/B00426C56U

shawshah

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shawshah

"I bought it and I sure hope this is 1080p as according to Amazon, it is NOT. Only the Roku XD and Roku XD|S play 1080p video??:

http://www.amazon.com/Roku-XD-1080p-Streaming-Player/dp/B00426C56U[/quote]

Okay...I get the stupid monkey award today. Duh...this puppy is XD :D Happy!