PortenceGailbraith

quality posts: 0 Private Messages PortenceGailbraith
tiler100 wrote:It doesn't matter. Unless you are a licensed law enforcement official, their speed is irrelevant. You don't know what kind of emergency they may or may not be having, you're not authorized to enforce that law and you need to just move over and stop blocking faster traffic.

People need to stop worrying about what other people are doing and why and spend more time creating separation between cars and eliminating clumps of traffic. People can decry speeders all they want but the fact remains it's really hard to wreck into someone who is several car length away.

I *very* rarely find myself in the left lane, in fact, most of my driving is done on a two-lane road. The only way to "move over" is to pull to the shoulder of the road, and that's not going to happen. Whether I'm an officer or not, it's ILLEGAL for someone to tailgate. It's also illegal to drive over the posted speed limit. I may be unkind, unsavory, or a downright wank to drive exactly the posted speed limit in ANY lane, but I guarantee, you can't link to any law that makes it illegal to not drive OVER the speed limit.

akdoc2003

quality posts: 0 Private Messages akdoc2003

Definitely hate the tailgating guy.

Teripie

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Teripie
bumfromjersey wrote:The driver who is talking/texting/emailing/playing games on their cell phone.

You nailed it! This Krampus is not only annoying, he's dangerous as well! You can always tell who's doing this - they weave all over, as bad as drunks. No, worse than drunks. Drunks uausally know that they are impaired. Cell Phoe Jerk thinks he can do it all, but he can't!

“Anything is a great deal at some price,” Some Rutledge Guy.

tiler100

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tiler100
PortenceGailbraith wrote:I *very* rarely find myself in the left lane, in fact, most of my driving is done on a two-lane road. The only way to "move over" is to pull to the shoulder of the road, and that's not going to happen. Whether I'm an officer or not, it's ILLEGAL for someone to tailgate. It's also illegal to drive over the posted speed limit. I may be unkind, unsavory, or a downright wank to drive exactly the posted speed limit in ANY lane, but I guarantee, you can't link to any law that makes it illegal to not drive OVER the speed limit.

I pass and get passed. I also drive two-lane roads and if there's a maintained shoulder, I move over and let faster traffic pass. I still aver that I don't get my tailgate ridden, even on two-lane roads.

You can take the moral path if you want but that's not going to undo a collision you caused, even if not ticketed for the same you can still be the cause.

Until you vigilantes get it in your heads that you can only affect how you drive and no one else, you're going to continue to get your asses ridden. Being right won't change that.

malebaba

quality posts: 0 Private Messages malebaba

The guy coming out of a parking lot who watches me coming up the road, and watches me, and watches me and THEN pulls out when I get close.

pdkuhn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pdkuhn

The 'I do not know how to handle a 4 way stop guy'.........You know the one, always sits and lets 9 cars go while he sits and ponders.......

wambut

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wambut

Hands down: the texting guy, because he does all of the above stuff, plus is the:

-- randomly drifting from lane-to-lane guy
-- blow through the stop sign guy
-- blow through the stop *light* guy
-- plow into the car in front of him guy
-- over-compensating for small mistake-making guy

...and so many more such guys.

arrrrgh

quality posts: 3 Private Messages arrrrgh
tiler100 wrote:I pass and get passed. I also drive two-lane roads and if there's a maintained shoulder, I move over and let faster traffic pass. I still aver that I don't get my tailgate ridden, even on two-lane roads.

You can take the moral path if you want but that's not going to undo a collision you caused, even if not ticketed for the same you can still be the cause.

Until you vigilantes get it in your heads that you can only affect how you drive and no one else, you're going to continue to get your asses ridden. Being right won't change that.

So why are you demanding change from the people who are following the rules of the road? Your argument seems to be that everyone's lives will be better if drivers just make it easier for the tail-gating jerks to pass. Kind of like the old Bobby Knight "relax and enjoy it" philosophy.

RWoodward

quality posts: 58 Private Messages RWoodward
pdkuhn wrote:The 'I do not know how to handle a 4 way stop guy'.........You know the one, always sits and lets 9 cars go while he sits and ponders.......

In my community this guy has been mostly replaced by the "Confused as Hell by the traffic circle guy," who:

Stops at the yield sign even when there is no traffic in the circle,
Stops in the middle of the circle to let people who should yield to him enter,
Goes clockwise against traffic to turn left rather than follow the circle,
and in a two-lane circle, TURNS LEFT TO CONTINUE IN THE CIRCLE FROM THE RIGHT LANE, WHICH IS CLEARLY MARKED FOR EXITING THE CIRCLE!

YES I KNOW I'M YELLING!

seahokedrama

quality posts: 30 Private Messages seahokedrama
tiler100 wrote:Folks, if you think tailgating is a problem or epidemic on the highways, it's your own fault.

Male-Cow Produced Fertilizer!

So it's my fault that there is a car in front of me- cars I'm overtaking to my right- I'm going 20 over the speed limit and some fool behind me is pretty-much kissing my back bumper?

This is my scenario just about every day.

I can only go as fast as the car in front of me. How in the seven seas do you expect me to go faster than the car in front of me? I will not tail gate (not that that works) - and I don't think the police will approve if I ram them off the road... especially when it is a police car in front of me.

It is absolutely absurd to think riding my tail is going to get me to speed up.

No, the fault is not the person being tail-gated- it's by the person tailgating. Any claims to the contrary is just arrogant people who think they own the road trying to justify their actions.

If someone is so obnoxious that they feel the need to try and bully people off the road by breathing down their rear bumper- they deserve to be delayed.

I don't think anyone I know has ever accused me of driving too slow (except when punnishing those riding my tail... and I will... I will make their life a living hell... at least for the commute... and I will smile and wave at them whilst I do it).

I will not be pushed around on the road- and I encourage everyone else to do the same.

Someone tail gates you. DRIVE SLOWER. Have a laugh at them.

kmc4637

quality posts: 3 Private Messages kmc4637

The guy that very nicely turns off his high beams when there is oncoming traffic, but doesn't seem to realize that the people he is following behind cannot use their mirrors when he turns them back on again. And he's in a huge SUV to boot, making the intense light in my mirrors even worse.

turnitup19

quality posts: 0 Private Messages turnitup19

This happened to me for the first time the other day.

Imagine you're driving, and you scan ahead to the next intersection to see a car driving backwards in the wrong direction of a one way street through his red light (mine was green).

Allow me to repeat myself.

I saw a man blow a redlight IN REVERSE! And here I thought I saw everything...

mitlamk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mitlamk

The dude at night with no back lights.

hicksra

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hicksra

The guy who thinks he's too good to wait in line in the turn lane and cuts in at the front.

jimponder

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jimponder

I just hope you aren't one of those people riding in the left lane doing this...

thatheard

quality posts: 6 Private Messages thatheard

So much anger....

jimponder

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jimponder

I got my license plate to even say MOV 2D RT directed to all of the folks who are taking their sweet old time in the left lane. Check your driving manuals folks for the state you live in. They even tell you to keep right 'except to pass.'

seahokedrama

quality posts: 30 Private Messages seahokedrama
jimponder wrote:I got my license plate to even say MOV 2D RT directed to all of the folks who are taking their sweet old time in the left lane. Check your driving manuals folks for the state you live in. They even tell you to keep right 'except to pass.'

Yet for some reason police don't give tickets to the old people driving slow in the fast lane.

I think a lot of the problems on the road would be solved by ticketing people who do not move out of the overtaking lane. Supposedly SC will ticket people if you drive two miles in the fast lane without overtaking anyone.

Nice idea- but yet to hear of anyone getting ticketed for that- and so far nothing has changed.

cubbylind

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cubbylind
jsvend wrote:"The guy who drives 5-10mph under the speed limit guy" >.>

you mean all Nebraska drivers?

thumperchick

quality posts: 253 Private Messages thumperchick
brutalpc wrote:Definitely without a doubt the "Stop once in the middle of the round-about to let other people in Guy"

YES!!!

Also, my personal favorites,
Stops at yield signs for NO reason!(This happens at an astronomical rate here in Upstate NY for some reason). If they wanted you to STOP they would've told you... with a big red STOP sign!

The "nice" person at merges who "lets people in." It's supposed to be a zipper. One car on the left, then one on the right, repeat. Stop being "nice"!!!?!?! You're getting traffic's junk caught in the zipper!

*edit*

RWoodward wrote:In my community this guy has been mostly replaced by the "Confused as Hell by the traffic circle guy," who:

Stops at the yield sign even when there is no traffic in the circle,
Stops in the middle of the circle to let people who should yield to him enter,
Goes clockwise against traffic to turn left rather than follow the circle,
and in a two-lane circle, TURNS LEFT TO CONTINUE IN THE CIRCLE FROM THE RIGHT LANE, WHICH IS CLEARLY MARKED FOR EXITING THE CIRCLE!

YES I KNOW I'M YELLING!

I somehow missed your post. I think you live near me...

juliepowerup

quality posts: 0 Private Messages juliepowerup

The guy in the right hand turn lane who thinks he is in a straight lane. Then drives next to you, not in a lane, after the light. Super!

thumperchick

quality posts: 253 Private Messages thumperchick
motospyder wrote:The guy who blows past me at double the speed limit who is texting (or eating or doing something else). I just know he is going to cause an accident that I will eventually encounter. And that GUY is usually a GIRL.

*eye roll* Yes, more women than men have obnoxious driving habits, that's why our insurance rates are lower... We all know when the term "guy" is being used here, it's being used as a pejorative for "person."

rlhintz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rlhintz

The proverbial woman driver who is 1 through 4 all in one!

faeriedust

quality posts: 0 Private Messages faeriedust

the guy that stops in the middle of the street on a busy street to switch lanes.

arismella

quality posts: 16 Private Messages arismella

May I add -- The variable-speed-passer-on-a-mostly-empty-interstate guy. If I'm on cruise control, why are we taking turns passing each other? I haven't changed my speed!! This should not happen!!!! Kills me. Every time.

If there are no other cars around, we should not be so close.

Also, the guy who speeds up to pass the bus/semi/otherwise-ginormous-vehicle in the lane next to us, then slows down, putting me right in the bus/semi/otherwise-ginormous-vehicle's blind spot.

I appreciate aggressive drivers (and I most certainly am one) but dangerously self-absorbed clueless drivers, whether they're slow or fast (or even average) are by far the worst.

thilderbrand20 wrote:The guy that slowly comes to a complete stop before turning right on green lights and into shopping centers or driveways.

+1

AlexShibata wrote:The guy who tailgates me then when I move over to let him pass he drives the same speed next to me.

+1

Jdedwardssfca wrote:the gangster with a badge and a gun in the black and white car guy.

+1

jbwhitsell wrote:The guy that puts on his brakes and slows down..... then turns on his blinker. A blinker is to tell us what you are going to do BEFORE you do it. Numbscull!!

+1

brutalpc wrote:Definitely without a doubt the "Stop once in the middle of the round-about to let other people in Guy"

+1

paddid wrote:The guy who rides my tail (with brights on) for miles and won't pass.

+1

yonian wrote:So common it's become the norm.
Wander left before turning right.

+1

pdkuhn wrote:The 'I do not know how to handle a 4 way stop guy'.........You know the one, always sits and lets 9 cars go while he sits and ponders.......

+1

a04971xx

quality posts: 0 Private Messages a04971xx

The bad overall driver guy

bpscg

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bpscg

"Also, the guy who speeds up to pass the bus/semi/otherwise-ginormous-vehicle in the lane next to us, then slows down, putting me right in the bus/semi/otherwise-ginormous-vehicle's blind spot."

You have only yourself to blame for that.

I never try to pass a semi until the guy who's in front of me has completely passed the semi himself. Let the guy in front of you pass him, then make your move.

It hasn't failed me yet.

teamerica

quality posts: 0 Private Messages teamerica

The guy driving at night with his High Beams on because his Low beams are burned out. Also the guy with the mal-adjusted Low beams and when you flash him, he HITS you with full HIGH BEAMS!

akivaj

quality posts: 1 Private Messages akivaj
hicksra wrote:The guy who thinks he's too good to wait in line in the turn lane and cuts in at the front.

I was just thinking about this. This is my roomate. I call him "The need of the one outweighs the needs of the many guy"

Variations: The oh, that light'll change, but it's ok to block the intersection even though I had an opportunity to stop at the stopbar when I clearly noticed the traffic ahead of me isn't moving and now you aren't either guy, the although traffic isn't moving and I have the opportunity to let you out of this [driveway/alley/sidestreet/gas station/parkinglot] it's more important to conspicuously stare fixedly ahead even though it's obvious I saw you but am avoiding eye contact so I can maintain the three inch gap with the bumper ahead of me while maintaining plausible deniability guy, and the oh, the light is changing and I'm two car lengths away from it turning left but I'll ride the car ahead of me (who incidentally rode the car ahead of it) and blow the red anyway causing you to miss your green arrow guy.

Then there are folks who double park in front of open parking spaces, who are standing in the middle of a small parking lot although there are several free spaces they could have parked in but chose not to and you can't either, now...

-Super Crochety.

arismella

quality posts: 16 Private Messages arismella
bpscg wrote:You have only yourself to blame for that.

I never try to pass a semi until the guy who's in front of me has completely passed the semi himself. Let the guy in front of you pass him, then make your move.

It hasn't failed me yet.

Oh, I do that. Always respect the guy in the 18-wheeler who drives long distances for a living. The problem is when you have a row of several slowly moving semis on the right and the cars on the left aren't just passing and moving back into the cruise lane. Consistent speed is key. Even if it's not fast.

This can also happen if the semi speeds up slightly as you're passing. Even if you had what looked like ample room, now you're back in the blind spot (cause the guy in front of you slowed down). And yes, I usually fall back in these cases to remove myself from that position. Still irksome, since it's easily avoidable. ("Oh! I was passing this semi, and now he's going faster. Well, I guess I'll speed up a little, since the guy behind me is also trying to pass.")

nurseS

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nurseS

1. The person who cuts you off, just about running you off the road, who you beep at to let know you are pissed and get the finger in return.

2. The person who can't wait in the same line as everyone else, but has to go up the travel lane or turn right only lane to at the last second cut over to the left.

3. The person texting who delays at every light and stop sign to send off that all important message.

I could go on, but then my road rage would start to show through....deep breathe, count to 10.......

fzzywolf

quality posts: 1 Private Messages fzzywolf

The "Left Lane Camper- 60 mile per hour- It's my RIGHT, Dammit" guy. He should be dragged out in the street naked and beaten. IJS

The Fzzy One

tiler100

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tiler100
arrrrgh wrote:So why are you demanding change from the people who are following the rules of the road? Your argument seems to be that everyone's lives will be better if drivers just make it easier for the tail-gating jerks to pass. Kind of like the old Bobby Knight "relax and enjoy it" philosophy.

I'm requesting cooperation all the way around.

If you can recognize the way to diffuse a dangerous situation and choose not, when it all goes wrong you're just as much at fault irrespective of who gets charged with breaking the law. You being right about driving the legal limit isn't going to undent your car. You could have prevented it yet chose to make a stand for your "correctness."

You speak of rules of the road. One of the "rules" of our roads is slower traffic keep right. This is evidenced by signs on certain stretches of interstate, signs that indicate passing lanes and moreover, Drivers Ed. It's really disingenuous to tout one "road rule" to excuse yourself from obeying another.

Ask yourself why you get tailgated. The answer is the same as to the question, "why won't I move over?"

If you're not in the left hand lane or don't have a way to let slower traffic around, I'm not talking to you. Maintaining defiant your right to cruise in the left hand lane is, in effect, maintaining your desire to have your ass ridden by faster traffic.

I think some of you are merely jealous of the fact that I don't get tailgated and you, yourselves, don't have the gumption to make the better decision to avoid it. Agree with me or not, I don't care. I'm giving you the answer to being tailgated and you're sitting on your "rights." Enjoy your rights as I do not having people sit on my bumper on the interstate.

kento

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kento

The person who tries to make a uturn at an intersection with no left had turn lane.

We have a T intersection near by that has a light. The straight section of the road is a fast moving street. Because the road is a T there is no left turn lane going one way. People consistently try to do a U-Turn at this intersection stopping in the fast lane. I usually end up stopped right behind the guy waiting for death from behind by a fast moving texter.

/rant on

For the love of god please take the time to drive the extra half mile down the road to do your U-Turn. Given the number of fast moving texters these days, you are seriously putting your life and mine at risk by trying to take the easy way out.

/rant off

bangdersnatch

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bangdersnatch
AlexShibata wrote:The guy who tailgates me then when I move over to let him pass he drives the same speed next to me.

I call *that* kind "pilot fish", and hope that Jaws pays them a visit.

mattryan

quality posts: 42 Private Messages mattryan
ajverret wrote:Let's not forget the "I drive slowly all day in the passing lane" guy and the worst sub human of all . . . The F#%€£NG TOUR DE FRANCE OUTFIT WEARING CYCLIST THAT RIDES IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROAD HOLDING UP FIFTY CARS ON A NARROW ROAD GUY!!!!! (Great subject by the way -lots of passion around this subject out there!)

I just had one of those the other day. I got super close to him and hit my horn (mind you there was a fully open bike lane he could have been in). I think I laughed for 20 minutes as he threw his arms up in fright and ran into a fire hydrant. Even the cop behind me laughed (no, I didn't get a ticket. I saw him in the rearview).

CowboyDann

quality posts: 716 Private Messages CowboyDann

I skimmed through 3 pages and didn't see anybody say this one. The guy in front of you who sees a green light ~500 ft away so he starts slowing down because he thinks it might turn yellow by the time he gets there and then it does! but only because he went from 50->20. Then when it turns yellow he putts through the intersection at 15 MPH while all along you and every car behind you could have made it had this chilling zephyr been driving the speed limit the whole time

I used to be the mean guy who drives slow in people who are in a hurry to get somewhere until I heard about how my friends dad cut his arm really bad with some table saw or something and needed to get to a hospital and all these jerks just assumed he was a guy in a hurry to get nowhere. Ever since then if someone is driving fast I get out of their way every time.

Also in california it's legal for motorcycles to drive inbetween cars in traffic, If I am in the far lanes I will usually give try to give the motorcycle the courtesy to let them know I'm looking out for them and hug the shoulder a little closer to give them a little more room to pass me...I guess those motorcycles could annoy some people though.

angelsgirl2002

quality posts: 3 Private Messages angelsgirl2002

The one who when I turn my blinker on, he speeds up.

cswerley

quality posts: 2 Private Messages cswerley

The guy or gal who drives a huge pickup or SUV but can't park it leaving me stuck in the parking lot waiting while they move back 1 foot and up 1 foot over and over.

marlynnp

quality posts: 0 Private Messages marlynnp

The guy that doesn't seem to know what 'lane ends merge left' means. And no,twatwaffle, I will not let you in. Sit there and rot.

~Mar