WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Pioneer Dolby TrueHD 7.1 Channel Home Theater Receiver with 3D-Ready HDMI Switching

Speed to First Woot:
0m 41.000s
First Sucker:
patchopra
Last Wooter to Woot:
warlock983
Last Purchase:
3 years ago
Order Pace (rank):
Bottom 19% of Woot.com Woots
Bottom 50% of all Woots
Woots Sold (rank):
Top 17% of Woot.com Woots
Top 14% of all Woots

Purchaser Experience

• 21% first woot
  • 9% second woot
  • 32% < 10 woots
  • 20% < 25 woots
  • 19% ≥ 25 woots

Purchaser Seniority

• 16% joined today
  • 1% one week old
  • 4% one month old
  • 13% one year old
  • 67% > one year old

Quantity Breakdown

• 98% bought 1
  • 1% bought 2
  • 1% bought 3

Percentage of Sales Per Hour

4%
4%
2%
1%
1%
1%
2%
5%
6%
7%
7%
6%
5%
6%
5%
4%
4%
3%
5%
5%
4%
5%
5%
5%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

teenracer6

quality posts: 59 Private Messages teenracer6

$399.85 on Amazon + Free Shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-VSX921K-7-1-Channel-Ready-Receiver/dp/B004MYFJME/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1323583241&sr=8-1

ashliz8806 wrote:Going to a Wizards game and being disappointed is like going swimming and getting wet...If you didn't expect it, I'm not sure I trust your judgment.

hackman2007

quality posts: 14 Private Messages hackman2007

Amazon sells this directly for $248 (currently out of stock, but allows orders).

Doesn't seem like that great of a deal.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B004MYFJME/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&qid=1323583241&sr=8-1&condition=new

And if you really want it today, Walmart has it for the same price with free shipping to the store or home.

coondogg97

quality posts: 14 Private Messages coondogg97

Great price no matter where you get it. Decent reviews too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaWURbHLDOc

The only disability in life is a bad attitude ~ Scott Hamilton

hackman2007

gtmaster303 wrote:You guys are forgetting Walmart will add tax, which is an extra $20 or so
Ebay prices are roughly $30 more than this.
Seems like a decent deal for what it is

But if the receiver doesn't work or you have buyer's remorse, you can always take it back to Walmart. Woot doesn't allow buyer's remorse and doesn't really like take-backs.

I'm not saying don't buy from Woot, but I do have to say this is a terrible price. You can do better than this Woot!

If you just want to save a little bit of money (and this is well in to the hundreds), then by all means go for it. But it seems like this is just a regular priced receiver at regular price (Amazon has this too, but temporarily out of stock, same price as Walmart). I'm sure other stores have it as well.

Regardless though, for what you get, this does look like an awesome receiver!

kcfoster

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kcfoster

I have a previous version of this and love it. sounds great and has tons of features. I especially like the multi-zone, I can listen

to music outside while the family watches TV inside. There is another version the has Ethernet so you can control it from your smart phone, I'd really like that. if I was in the market for a new receiver I'd definitely pick this up.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 584 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Might want to check the price again.

Also, if you ordered before the price change, you will be charged the lower price.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

john27

quality posts: 4 Private Messages john27

I have the 5.1 channel version of this same head unit. It's a FANTASTIC machine. (Though technically it is 7.1, but you need a pre-amp for the rear two channels). The audio quality is down right superb, from gaming, to watching blu-rays, to listening to FLAC audio. I paired it up with a Sherwood speaker kit, couldn't be happier.

My only beefs: the HDMI ports don't take kindly to speakers falling on the things connected into them, ha. I did lose one port like that. Also, I'm not SURE on this one, but on mine, the main menu is not accesible via HDMI, and it doesn't do any upconverting, meaning if you have something connected to the component or composite video, then it will only output through the component or composite video hookups. Not that big of a deal, but I was using it for a while hooked up to my PC and to a 23" PC monitor which had only HDMI, so that was a pain!

Also, DONT LOSE THAT MIC! It works well, but if you lose it, it's something like $50 to replace. Totally ludacris if you ask me, it's really cheap and plastic. Though I suppose it's accurate, worked well for me. (Lost mine though. Heh, when your done with yours, wanna send it to me? :P)

-John

hackman2007

ThunderThighs wrote:Might want to check the price again.

Haha nice.

That seems a little better.

But still, Woot can do better!

(though if you have a $10/20/40 coupon from Woot, this becomes a really good deal)

zxinfinity

quality posts: 18 Private Messages zxinfinity

Woot just dropped the price down from 249.99 to 229.99 at around 12:16 am.. strange, has anyone ever seen a price drop like this?

coolbro12389

quality posts: 3 Private Messages coolbro12389
ThunderThighs wrote:Might want to check the price again.

Also, if you ordered before the price change, you will be charged the lower price.

nice ;)

woncoolone

quality posts: 878 Private Messages woncoolone

hackman2007

zxinfinity wrote:Woot just dropped the price down from 249.99 to 229.99 at around 12:16 am.. strange, has anyone ever seen a price drop like this?

It happens. I'm pretty sure I've seen something like this happen before as well.

Woot employs humans after all.

zxinfinity

quality posts: 18 Private Messages zxinfinity

<10% discount off Amazon? Pass. Too bad, I really wanted to bite on this.

plavacek

quality posts: 8 Private Messages plavacek
john27 wrote:

Also, I'm not SURE on this one, but on mine, the main menu is not accesible via HDMI, and it doesn't do any upconverting, meaning if you have something connected to the component or composite video, then it will only output through the component or composite video hookups.

Nyet. From the Pioneer link:

"With Anchor Bay® video processing, the VSX-921 converts analog video sources to HDMI for one-wire high definition convenience. For lower resolution video, advanced video processing lets you upscale your picture to digital 1080p to best match the native resolution of your HDTV. "

whatsamattaU

quality posts: 1070 Private Messages whatsamattaU

"Woot will not be undersold"??

Me thinks the theme is Pioneer tonight, looking at sellout.woot

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 584 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

hackman2007 wrote:It happens. I'm pretty sure I've seen something like this happen before as well.

Woot employs humans after all.

D'awwwwwww. That's so sweet! ♥♥♥

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

sdc100

quality posts: 506 Private Messages sdc100

Don't know much about receivers but I do know quite a bit about displays. This appears to use a Vacuum Fluorescent Display (VFD), which is aesthetically my favorite type of display (until OLED becomes commonplace). They're brighter and more vivid than LEDs and LCD, and viewing angle is not an issue. BUT ... the problems is that they fade over time, just as fluorescent bulbs get dimmer over time. One of my DVD recorders is so dim it's unreadable from more than a yard away. That can render this receiver useless a few years from now (unless it has Onscreen Display on the TV). Then again, it may take a 7-10 years, and you will have probably replaced this thing by then.

bvic01

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bvic01

hanks woot! Ive been waiting for a new receiver and new bookshelf speakers! You read my mind, both in one day. Both speakers and receiver seemed to get great reviews from amazon. While not a steal t this price, its a better deal than many other receivers, you get the hdmi switching and hd upconvert on all sources. Makes it a breeze to connect to your tv.

john27

Just noticed that sellout.woot also has some very nice pioneer bookshelf speakers. Two pairs of those along with a center and a good powered sub and you'll have a very nice system going! (Or three pairs if you wanna go all crazy and have full 7.1!)

sdc100

From the Description:
"Capable of receiving Sirius Satellite digital radio, which provides 100% commercial-free 5.1-channel surround sound music of over 120 digital channels. To listen to Sirius radio programming, you would need a docking adapter/tuner (not included) and activation of Sirius service (not included)"

Why not also have HD Radio, which is free?

Roostalee

quality posts: 26 Private Messages Roostalee
sdc100 wrote:Don't know much about receivers but I do know quite a bit about displays. This appears to use a Vacuum Fluorescent Display (VFD), which is aesthetically my favorite type of display (until OLED becomes commonplace). They're brighter and more vivid than LEDs and LCD, and viewing angle is not an issue. BUT ... the problems is that they fade over time, just as fluorescent bulbs get dimmer over time. One of my DVD recorders is so dim it's unreadable from more than a yard away. That can render this receiver useless a few years from now (unless it has Onscreen Display on the TV). Then again, it may take a 7-10 years, and you will have probably replaced this thing by then.

I'd prefer nixie tubes for the display, but that's not gonna happen

Potrzebie!

john27

plavacek wrote:Nyet. From the Pioneer link:

"With Anchor Bay® video processing, the VSX-921 converts analog video sources to HDMI for one-wire high definition convenience. For lower resolution video, advanced video processing lets you upscale your picture to digital 1080p to best match the native resolution of your HDTV. "

Ah okay, sweet! Makes it an even better deal then. Adds that feature that was really the only pesky con I ever had with mine! If it didn't seem like such a menial upgrade I'd be in for one, haha. Although there are probably other new features as well.. I just might talk myself into it yet.. haha

sdc100

Okay, I don't know much about these high tect receivers so please excuse this seemingly stupid question...

AS I understand it. this is an audio processor. Why then would someone put video into this? What does it do with the video? Does it also process the video, i.e. you can adjust chrominance and luminance levels? What's the advantage of adjusting video through this than through your TV? And if your DVD player already upconverts, which is pretty common, what's the point of this? And what does have to do with 3D video?

sdc100

Roostalee wrote:I'd prefer nixie tubes for the display, but that's not gonna happen

God, you're older than I am ... I don't think I've ever seen anything actually using a Nixie tube. Well, sorta ... for years, the onscreen clock widget on my work computer used a Nixie appearance display.

PS - it may happen because Nixie tubes are making a nostalgic comeback. I heard that Nixie clocks are available on eBay. I think there's even a Nixie watch but I think they're LEDs made to look like Nixies. No watch battery can sustain actual Nixie tubes.

mhmed

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mhmed

Hdmi carries audio and video signals over the cable. Routing your video is convenient because now you can control aspects of sound for your video components without having to manage multiple remotes. At least that is the way I see it. Plus you get to see feedback on screen when you change a setting.

Markguns

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Markguns
hackman2007 wrote:But if the receiver doesn't work or you have buyer's remorse, you can always take it back to Walmart. Woot doesn't allow buyer's remorse and doesn't really like take-backs.

I'm not saying don't buy from Woot, but I do have to say this is a terrible price. You can do better than this Woot!

If you just want to save a little bit of money (and this is well in to the hundreds), then by all means go for it. But it seems like this is just a regular priced receiver at regular price (Amazon has this too, but temporarily out of stock, same price as Walmart). I'm sure other stores have it as well.

Regardless though, for what you get, this does look like an awesome receiver!

yup and thats only gonna cost you about $20. This is just a deal not great or anything..

Roostalee

sdc100 wrote:God, you're older than I am ... I don't think I've ever seen anything actually using a Nixie tube. Well, sorta ... for years, the onscreen clock widget on my work computer used a Nixie appearance display.

PS - it may happen because Nixie tubes are making a nostalgic comeback. I heard that Nixie clocks are available on eBay. I think there's even a Nixie watch but I think they're LEDs made to look like Nixies. No watch battery can sustain actual Nixie tubes.

Actually I'm not that old, but I recall seeing a Xerox machine (it was huge) in my Dad's office in the 1970s with a nixie display. I have one of the nixie clocks (yep, Ebay), it's pretty cool. The watch you speak of does indeed use a single nixie, but I think it eats lithium batteries.

Potrzebie!

sdc100

Roostalee wrote:I'd prefer nixie tubes for the display, but that's not gonna happen

Well, you can make it happen. For about $130, you can get the Velleman K8099 Nixie Tube Clock Kit.

Kogur

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Kogur
sdc100 wrote:Okay, I don't know much about these high tect receivers so please excuse this seemingly stupid question...

AS I understand it. this is an audio processor. Why then would someone put video into this? What does it do with the video? Does it also process the video, i.e. you can adjust chrominance and luminance levels? What's the advantage of adjusting video through this than through your TV? And if your DVD player already upconverts, which is pretty common, what's the point of this? And what does have to do with 3D video?

I believe it is passive with video... ie it allows you to plug in your hdmi cables from your source. It takes the audio, does its' fancy processing, then recombines the signal to the output hdmi cable that goes to your tv.
The point is to allow the video to pass through with the audio so that you get the convenience of 1 wire hdmi goodness.

mintyfresh

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mintyfresh

This receiver is fine but it's not future-proof; it's already old technology.

I got the VSX-1121 from Amazon on Black Friday for $399. Yes, that is a heckuva lot more money, but the for the additional cash, I get:
1) Pandora streaming built in

2) Airplay built in - yes! Direct ethernet port will know when airplay is activated and will automatically turn on the receiver and set it to the right source

3) Very cool iPhone/Pad app that serves as remote.

4) Much much better 1080p upscaling algorithms (by Marvell rather than Anchor Bay). It makes AppleTV and other 720p sources look awesome at 1080;.

So if you can afford the extra $$$, then I would recommend that you hold out and look for this receiver on sale.

sdc100

Kogur wrote:I believe it is passive with video... ie it allows you to plug in your hdmi cables from your source. It takes the audio, does its' fancy processing, then recombines the signal to the output hdmi cable that goes to your tv.
The point is to allow the video to pass through with the audio so that you get the convenience of 1 wire hdmi goodness.

Thanks for the info, 1 wire is indeed goodness. I have way too many wires around my entertainment center right now (1 LCD HDTV, 1 CRT HDTV, 2 DVD recorders, 1 VHS/DVD recorder, 1 cable box, 1 Tivo, 1 Roku player, 2 USB/SD Media players, 1 Pico projector). You can only imagine how may remote controls I have floating around ... including several Logitechs that failed to live up to its promise of replacing my other remotes.

GGA1759

quality posts: 3 Private Messages GGA1759

Woot.com better drop the price even lower for this to be a good deal. No turntable input.

gtmaster303

quality posts: 9 Private Messages gtmaster303
hackman2007 wrote:But if the receiver doesn't work or you have buyer's remorse, you can always take it back to Walmart. Woot doesn't allow buyer's remorse and doesn't really like take-backs.

If you're buying from a site like this, you should know what you're buying up front, plain and simple. I highly doubt woot is a place for window shoppers and buyer remorse-ers.
And who would be silly enough to buy something from a store, use it, and then return it because they don't want it, only to get hit with a restocking fee? If you do this a lot, you need to make better informed purchases. But like I said, if you're on woot, chances are you've probably gotten past that

nuxenolith

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nuxenolith

Can't help but wonder whether the LED interface was developed in the 1970s.

abrigati

quality posts: 1 Private Messages abrigati

Why do all the gizmos like this I see have lots of HDMI inputs, and some Component inputs, and a whole bunch of Composite inputs, but they never have S-video inputs?

S-video provides a much nicer picture than composite, especially if you're going to upscale it.

I have a lot of old video game consoles that have S-video outputs, and my VHS deck and laserdisc player have S-video.

Roostalee

abrigati wrote:Why do all the gizmos like this I see have lots of HDMI inputs, and some Component inputs, and a whole bunch of Composite inputs, but they never have S-video inputs?

S-video provides a much nicer picture than composite, especially if you're going to upscale it.

I have a lot of old video game consoles that have S-video outputs, and my VHS deck and laserdisc player have S-video.

I believe S-video was more or less supplanted by component cables, even though a lot of devices had S-video outs. Could be wrong on that point, though.

Potrzebie!

endangereddelicacies

quality posts: 2 Private Messages endangereddelicacies

Can someone explain to me, as if I was 12 years old, what this thing does? Where does it fit in in my living room? I have a TV which I connect my xbox and antenna to, and listen to music via my computer which has a decent soundcard and a nice set of speakers. What could buying this thing add to my set up?

jchkao1125

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jchkao1125

A couple of months ago Buy.com had this for about $150 plus $25 FOR S/H. However, as I expected it was too good to be true. I ordered it and thought they would just cancel it and claim that it was a price error. But they canceled it stating that they were out of stock. Just wondering if anyone in the Woot community got one from Buy.com at that price? Thanks.