gobigo99

quality posts: 1 Private Messages gobigo99

Nice starter

csowerbrower

quality posts: 0 Private Messages csowerbrower

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-XS-Digital-18-55mm-Black/dp/B001CBKJGG

woot4jam

quality posts: 6 Private Messages woot4jam

amazon link: B001CBKJGG $479 rather good reviews.

399 is not too bad of a price at all.

you'd have to buy refurbed to get that price normally...

-Jam

signature available upon request

smansuria

quality posts: 0 Private Messages smansuria

Nice camera

bpr2

quality posts: 181 Private Messages bpr2

I hope that I got the right model for this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vu9zoEknU64

^ product video

that was fun while it lasted!

hekx

quality posts: 2 Private Messages hekx

I just used my mind powers to check Ebay and Amazon. Looks like it is selling for a good amount over $400 at both places. I have been dying for one of these, I haven't really seen better picture quality from any camera for the price.

StickyC

quality posts: 2 Private Messages StickyC

The perfect match for Amazon's (now done) Gold Box deal of the day Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS Telephoto Zoom Lens for $150. It's all entry level kit, but a good entry level.

Rudeboy2025

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Rudeboy2025

Great price! If I wasn't broke from Black Friday/Cyber Monday, I would be all over this.

mikeymac

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mikeymac

Wow, there's even a "For Dummies" book for this thing. That's kind of intimidating.

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-EOS-Rebel-1000D-Dummies/dp/0470433922/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1323756115&sr=8-3

axphw1

quality posts: 12 Private Messages axphw1

My instructions to the DJ at our wedding- NO BLACK EYED PEAS

bleaumaglite

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bleaumaglite

I swear I saw this camera on here not that long ago...

scoochv

quality posts: 1 Private Messages scoochv

As long as you don't need video, this is a perfect DSLR for beginners and/or those looking to step up from point-and-shoots. This was my first, and even though I have since upgraded to the T2i, the photos that this camera produced (even with the kit lens) were gorgeous.

Get this and spend another few hundred on some choice lenses, and you should be set for a while.

woncoolone

quality posts: 716 Private Messages woncoolone

Dlight

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Dlight

Love it! Why oh why do I stay up for you woot? Nice camera.

irishskywalker

quality posts: 1 Private Messages irishskywalker

personally I would spend $55 more and get the new Canon T3 - http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Rebel-T3-Digital-18-55mm/dp/B004J3Y9U6/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1323756355&sr=1-1

mikegberg

quality posts: 56 Private Messages mikegberg

Have this camera, love it.

I wrote an on-the-fly review when it came up during last week's woot-off:

mikegberg wrote:Bought this exact camera and lens kit from Amazon back in February. Cost was $479+tax, so this is a solid deal. Great camera, and I'm only enjoying the entry-level features so far.

This is the perfect camera for upgrading from point-and-shoot to SLR. You'll notice the negligible response time, which is essential when trying to photograph children.

Decent battery life... under low-average to average use, we only have to charge the battery once a week. Over two weeks if left on standby.

Just bought a zoom lens when it came up as a lightning deal a few weeks ago.

Bottom line, thrilled with the purchase. If you are looking to go from P/S to SLR, this is your camera.

"There are more old wine drinkers than old doCTors." -François Rabelais

c1keene

quality posts: 0 Private Messages c1keene

my hubby bought me one of these for our anniversary a year ago. i LOVE it. this is a really good price.

editorkid

quality posts: 92 Private Messages editorkid

This is a great price. I'm a Nikon user, but I'm tempted to grab this to have a spare camera around.

So many of my friends are Canon shooters that I could probably score some cheap glass as they upgrade their lenses. Gonna have to sleep on this one.

limerix

quality posts: 0 Private Messages limerix

379.95 here
with free shipping?

coolchris160

quality posts: 47 Private Messages coolchris160

I know it needs a SDHC memory card, but are there any restrictions as to what size/capacity memory cards it can take?

Thanks in advance

jbhswim

quality posts: 31 Private Messages jbhswim

Have this camera and love it! Really good low-light capabilities for the price. Really can't beat the value. Very easy step up from the point and shoot world. Just a bit heavier.

You'll not be disappointed taking photos on XMas morning!

neploxo

quality posts: 1 Private Messages neploxo

I bought this item for the same price during last week's Woot-off. It is the best purchase I have ever made on Woot.

I've been wanting to move to a true DSLR, and this camera can't be beat for that price. I'm also interested in astro-photography, and this camera is one of the most popular lowest-cost entry-level choices.

I unpacked and had it working in minutes. It is easy to use with fully-automatic settings, and there are buttons for every manual setting without going into confusing menus.

Several things to note before you buy: 1) No video. This is a still-only camera that can shoot a maximum of 3fps in burst mode. 2) No wireless remote. It has no IR sensor, but a wired remote is an option. 3) Uses a rechargeable Lithium battery, not standard AAs 4) You will need to provide a storage card (Up to 4GB SD cards are available under $10 many places)

Canon has discontinued this camera, which has been one of their most popular. I'm not sure what model they're going to use to replace it, but this Woot deal represents $100-$150 off the average retail price for it.

acanarelli

quality posts: 223 Private Messages acanarelli
j3jymann wrote:I've been looking for an SLR this just might be the one for me

You couldn't make a better choice! I've owned Canon DSLRs since I gave up on film cameras and found the Canon to be far and away the best. There is more camera here than most people could ever use. My current Canon dslr is an XTi, and it's been a fantastic camera. This one is far better with a super price! So now I need to count my money to see if I can afford to upgrade.

mychen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mychen

really great camera to start with.

virtually the same as the slightly higher up XSi -- major difference is that while XSi has spot metering, the XS does not. if you don't really need spot metering or know how to get by with center-weighted metering, this is a pretty good deal!

L4m3r

quality posts: 11 Private Messages L4m3r

I have an XSi, a slightly nicer sibling of the XS, and it's great. There are a few newer Rebels out now, but this is still a superb all-purpose camera. I don't really consider myself a photographer, even, but it's nice to have a DSLR and not deal with the limitations of a P&S camera.

I don't have much of a brand preference beyond my investment in Canon gear- Canon happened to have a good camera at a good price point when I bought one. That said, the upside to buying a brand like Canon or Nikon is that if you start to get into photography, you have a lot of piece-by-piece upgrade options without having to toss out your entire kit and start over.

ONE OF THESE DAYS, I'M GOING TO CUT YOU INTO LITTLE PIECES.

Rabid7

quality posts: 10 Private Messages Rabid7

I've got the XSI version of this camera (the next model newer). Fantastic. Nothing wrong with these at all, and for the price you can't do much better.

pjhad

quality posts: 2 Private Messages pjhad

canon.com has some great deals right now on refurb dslrs, this one in particular is $374, then there is a code for $5 shipping. they also have the T3,
a 12 meg camera with newer sensor and newer lens for the same price.

tirk

quality posts: 2 Private Messages tirk

does long-haired andre agassi come with it or the bald version?

fxfuji

quality posts: 20 Private Messages fxfuji

Nice entry-level SLR for the price, though it's getting a bit long in the tooth (it first came out in July 2008 and is currently the longest in-production SLR made by Canon).

Wikipedia has a good writeup of its features:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_EOS_1000D

but it seems that there aren't many hacks available to extend its feature set.

reybo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages reybo

Some of the comments on Amazon include "feels like a flimsy toy." And they are prone to a fatal Err99 error message for no apparent reason.

reach4thesky727

quality posts: 1 Private Messages reach4thesky727

I looked very closely at many of canon's entry level DSLRs when shopping for my camera a few weeks ago. This cam is perfect for people who are more serious about photography then just a few quick shots here and there, and is a great way to start building up accessories and experience.
Even if you aren't serious about photography as a hobby, these things are faster, and do better in low light. Really important, especially if you're trying to keep track of kids.
From my experience, Canon does a terrific job with all of their cameras, and technologies that only existed in high-end models trickle down to entry-levels quite quickly. Also, canon's auto settings do a fantastic job in a pinch (I no longer use them, but everyone starts somewhere), and they have phenomenal low-light performance.

For a full review, see the below link. These people are always very thorough:

http://www.digitalcamerareview.com/default.asp?newsID=3758&review=canon+rebel+xs

eatingjuice

quality posts: 7 Private Messages eatingjuice

Best price, anyone? Been looking for a dslr and I liked this or one of the Nikon's (got to look up which).

dgingerich

quality posts: 4 Private Messages dgingerich

I just bought the Rebel T3 a couple months ago and love it! This is the older model that the T3 replaced. You can find the T3 for under $500, and I'd recommend the little extra money to get 12.2MP, Digic 4 Processor, and 720p video. But, if you can't afford the extra $50-$100, this is a great deal. I've been amazed how much better my photos are with this camera than my point-and-shoot. I took photos the other night in almost complete darkness with no flash (but I was using the Canon 50mm f/1.8 lens, which I also highly recommend for about $105 on Amazon). Go for it, you'll love either one!

woot4jam

coolchris160 wrote:I know it needs a SDHC memory card, but are there any restrictions as to what size/capacity memory cards it can take?

Thanks in advance

32gig according to comments at B001CBKJGG.

and gee... sellout.woot just happens to have a good deal on a 32gig sdhc card right now... class 10 at that...

-Jam

coolchris160

quality posts: 47 Private Messages coolchris160
woot4jam wrote:32gig according to comments at B001CBKJGG.

and gee... sellout.woot just happens to have a good deal on a 32gig sdhc card right now... class 10 at that...

-Jam

I know, that's why I asked. ;)

Thanks.

ckeem

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ckeem

What a deal WOOT... Even B&H Photo is beating your price...

And who cares if its a refurb. Last I checked you'll still be getting the same warranty.

Glad to see WOOT finally got a decent DSLR on here. Won't be clicking the oversized I want one button on this one though.

drakar2007

quality posts: 2 Private Messages drakar2007
irishskywalker wrote:personally I would spend $55 more and get the new Canon T3 - http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Rebel-T3-Digital-18-55mm/dp/B004J3Y9U6/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1323756355&sr=1-1

I was thinking the same thing - the successor to the XS is the T3, and the T3 is only maybe $50 more at amazon (consider Amazon will ship it free). Not that there's anything wrong with the XS (hell, i'm still using my original Digital Rebel which looks stone-age compared to either of these guys, not to mention its true current successor the T3i). Both use SDHC, both no doubt take great shots, but I'm not sure how much of a "steal" this XS is if the next version up is only a few bux more at amazon.

woot4jam

amazon link: B001CBKJGG $479

I don't know... seams like this woot is going to get me.

has solid reviews all around.
$399 is a very good price, seams to ebay for more than that...
to get down to that level, one would normally have to buy a refurbed....

and it arrives by christmas...

Gonna sleep on it... if it is sold out by the AM then I know it really was a great deal : )

-Jam