triad203

quality posts: 0 Private Messages triad203
woot4jam wrote:amazon link: B001CBKJGG $479 rather good reviews.

399 is not too bad of a price at all.

you'd have to buy refurbed to get that price normally...

-Jam

I bought this during the woot-off and, though labeled as "new", it was clearly open-box or refurbed. Works fine and even at +$100 on this price it was still a good deal.

triad203

quality posts: 0 Private Messages triad203
MauiWoot wrote:These can bought for $379 online same exact package.............not the best woot

If that's true, provide a link or begone with you.

neilpoteat

quality posts: 1 Private Messages neilpoteat

I just bought the NIKON p7100 for 386 with expedited shipping. It gets much higher ratings in head to head...especially for a starter camera. Overstock.com

HokutoNoKen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages HokutoNoKen
triad203 wrote:If that's true, provide a link or begone with you.

i checked and found the $379.95 price from B&H...BUT it is for a USED camera. B&H clearly states it is USED for that price. shipping is $12.15. so ultimately the price difference between that and this woot (even if this is refurbed) is negligible.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=Canon+EOS+Rebel+XS&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=14161292091999260444&sa=X&ei=GG3nTub3Aabm0QGX3dz4CQ&ved=0CKgBEPMCMAA#scoring=p

turrets11

quality posts: 0 Private Messages turrets11

$310 with the lens at my local Sears...

showcaller

quality posts: 33 Private Messages showcaller

The reality is that if you are someone who is just getting into DSLR photography or finally want to upgrade from a point and shoot to something that begins to deliver really decent pictures this is the camera and at a cost that makes it an excellent deal. As I said before, most of it is about the glass and if I am not mistaken, this camera comes with one of the better Canon lenses. The body itself will offer more adjustments than most people will ever use. This is a solid Woot deal. For those googling, looking to save $8.00 on the same package, good luck and I am glad I don't have to manage your time.

burns72

quality posts: 9 Private Messages burns72

Bought the T3 from a local camera shop this past weekend for $467. Worth the price difference. Stepping up from original Rebel Xi.

composerv

quality posts: 0 Private Messages composerv

Woot is getting lazier. Current one is not "goot" at all. I found cheaper prices all over the world, including the internet.
Boo... Need better deals.

Also, I want espresso machine for next woot. Any people want the same thing?

cyraxote

quality posts: 2 Private Messages cyraxote
stumann666 wrote:If the lense is a plastic one (not glass), you will be disappointed.

Um, I don't believe any lens with a Canon mount is made with plastic elements (i.e., the part you look through). The kit lens with this camera is plastic on the outside, not the inside (i.e., the lens elements).

division42

quality posts: 0 Private Messages division42

I've had exemplary service from Canon when my i890 started freezing up five months after I bought it. They sent a new body to me overnight free of charge. All I had to do was tell them when I bought it from Amazon and I was good to go.

claudermilk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages claudermilk
gnarf wrote:I bought this camera a couple years ago, and I love it! Although I'd like to sell it and buy a fancier one, because I enjoy this DSLR so much.

Very good beginner camera, and lets face it if you're not a beginner you wouldn't be looking at these types of reviews.

The included lens is good for what it is, but 55mm is roughly equivalent to normal vision (ie. no zoom) So don't forget to budget for a better lens. My current (mid-range budget)lens is ~2x the cost of this camera, but the lens is a very integral part of any camera system.

Not on 1.6 crop cameras (which this is). For the old 50mm=normal vision, you need about a 35mm lens on this. The 55mm is more like an 85mm (mild telephoto).

Caffeineismydrug

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Caffeineismydrug
showcaller wrote:The reality is that if you are someone who is just getting into DSLR photography or finally want to upgrade from a point and shoot to something that begins to deliver really decent pictures this is the camera and at a cost that makes it an excellent deal. As I said before, most of it is about the glass and if I am not mistaken, this camera comes with one of the better Canon lenses. The body itself will offer more adjustments than most people will ever use. This is a solid Woot deal. For those googling, looking to save $8.00 on the same package, good luck and I am glad I don't have to manage your time.

+1 Quality Post on the first half, except you're wrong on the lens. This is one of the worst lenses ever made. The 18-55 non IS lens is probably worse. Although I'm not sure why anyone would need IS on a lens this wide...

Now this lens (17-55 f/2.8 IS) is pretty nice for a crop factor camera(Remember folks, this is not a full-frame camera as one poster suggested)
This lens (17-85) is glass made in Japan IIRC, not Taiwan, and sharper than the kit lens. I picked one up on CL for about $150. It suffers from lens creep though, it zooms out when hanging from the camera.
However, the 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 is a pretty crappy lens, in all flavors, and resells for under $100 frequently.

<BOYCOTT>Currently on Woot Boycott until Deal-A-Day site is restored to sanity</BOYCOTT>

sweck

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sweck

http://www.ajrichies.com/Canon-EOS-Rebel-XS-with-18-55mm-IS-Lens-Kit/p-265?refid=Shopping&

$379.99

jeremytheindian

quality posts: 17 Private Messages jeremytheindian
artdoug wrote:fyi, I belive K-r and K-5 are the current models available from Pentax, But yes I would rather have a pentax than a canon, 1 plus, Image stabilization is in the camera body NOT the lens like canon and nikon

I know this... see my sig?

younggeezer wrote:As a matter of fact, my frustration with the kit lens in taking photos at my kid's volleyball games got me to buy my first Canon L series lens (70-200mm f2.8L -- most useful lens in my bag). The f2.8 isn't optional for this. Most school gyms I've been in are miserably lit. And this camera just goes up to ISO 1600, like my old Rebel XT.

I guess I'm just used to my Pentax old K-r and new K-5 producing good photos at iso 1600 with little noise.

Wootx16-Winex1-Kidsx13-Shirtx20-Selloutx8-Homex1-BOCx2

bdiddy5522

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bdiddy5522

I am in for one. Have wanted and SLR for a long time now that we have a three year old and another child on the way. Waiting for my Canon Powershot camera to focus and finally take the picture while trying to make a three year old sit still is like pulling teeth. Looking forward to finally getting some good pictures.

A person may be able to find a better deal, but quite frankly my time is worth more than saving $15 searching the whole world wide web. Just buy this one and shut up. Buy it, and go to work. Make more money instead of wasting two hours searching for a better deal.

dliidlii

quality posts: 34 Private Messages dliidlii
triad203 wrote:If that's true, provide a link or begone with you.

How about an EOS T3,better model, for LESS. New with same lens and 1 year Canon warranty.Beach Camera is a reputable and authorized Canon dealer.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/300635153206?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_5896wt_1139

claudermilk

Shoprgyrl wrote:Does anybody know where I can get a replacement cap for the lens? It's bigger than a standard cover.

ebay, B&H, Adorama, pretty much anyplace you can get camera gear. With SLR lenses, there is no "standard" cap as each lens has a different front element size. Since you are replacing, look for the Tamron caps because they have the center-pinch clip releases--way easier than Canon's little edge clips.

dliidlii

quality posts: 34 Private Messages dliidlii
burns72 wrote:Bought the T3 from a local camera shop this past weekend for $467. Worth the price difference. Stepping up from original Rebel Xi.

See if they will price match the $399 deal from Beach Camera. They may at least give you a $67 store credit.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/300635153206?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_5896wt_1139
They sold 300 at this price in just a few days.

claudermilk

younggeezer wrote:As a matter of fact, my frustration with the kit lens in taking photos at my kid's volleyball games got me to buy my first Canon L series lens (70-200mm f2.8L -- most useful lens in my bag). The f2.8 isn't optional for this. Most school gyms I've been in are miserably lit. And this camera just goes up to ISO 1600, like my old Rebel XT.

Agreed. While I usually shoot in coffee shops and stages not gyms, it's still challenging lighting. A fancy tele-zoom is probably the BEST place to spend your money. This body will eventually be replaced, but the lens will stick around. You really want to save up your pennies and get the best glass you can if you are at all serious. My 24-70/2.8 and 70-200/2.8 are workhorses.

claudermilk

cyraxote wrote:Um, I don't believe any lens with a Canon mount is made with plastic elements (i.e., the part you look through). The kit lens with this camera is plastic on the outside, not the inside (i.e., the lens elements).

Yeah, you are correct. There are no plastic lens elements from Canon (that would be Holga that does plastic lenses). Probably what was meant is the plastic mount rings, whcich the budget Canon lenses do use. That's part of the cost savings. For example a Mk I 50/1.8 has a metal mount, and goes for $100-150 (used only, long discontinued) while a Mk II has the plastic mount and is under $100. I was happy to pay the premium for the used lens.

shhayes

quality posts: 1 Private Messages shhayes

Re: earlier message - don't be intimidated by the fact there's a Dummies book on this camera. The book just interprets the manual and shows you how to actually apply the settings to get better photos.

I agree with previous reviews - it's a good starter camera for making the leap to DSLR at a lower price. They stripped out a lot of the bells & whistles that might just confuse a beginner.

Signed,

The guy that edited Canon EOS Rebel XS/1000D For Dummies

claudermilk

Caffeineismydrug wrote:+1 Quality Post on the first half, except you're wrong on the lens. This is one of the worst lenses ever made. The 18-55 non IS lens is probably worse. Although I'm not sure why anyone would need IS on a lens this wide...

Now this lens (17-55 f/2.8 IS) is pretty nice for a crop factor camera(Remember folks, this is not a full-frame camera as one poster suggested)
This lens (17-85) is glass made in Japan IIRC, not Taiwan, and sharper than the kit lens. I picked one up on CL for about $150. It suffers from lens creep though, it zooms out when hanging from the camera.
However, the 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 is a pretty crappy lens, in all flavors, and resells for under $100 frequently.

Hear! Hear! That kit lens is a turd. I immediately found myself a 50/1.8 to replace it and left it on my old 20D for a while until I could afford better glass. The best that can be said about the older kit lens is it does actually form an image. This newer one is supposed to be better, but it's got a low bar to surpass.

DennisWKam

quality posts: 22 Private Messages DennisWKam

Staff

CharliePrince wrote:Hey woot! do you mind updating the Facebook share link. It links to the 8" android smart tablet and I need my friends to know they should get me this camera for Christmas? Huh? HuH? Do ya? Do ya?

If it is a problem on my end then please shoot me with a Woot! monkey and knock my two brain cells together so they form a thought and I can figure this out.

Sorry, we'd love for you to share this deal! Really! But... there's some issues with Facebook's API that we're trying to get straightened out. Stay tuned and try to share later.

loupie51

quality posts: 0 Private Messages loupie51
Shoprgyrl wrote:Does anybody know where I can get a replacement cap for the lens? It's bigger than a standard cover.

Right here on Woot.com for $399, and the cap comes with a free camera Try: http://www.amazon.com/Canon-58U-58mm-Snap-Accessory/dp/B00009MK5M

carlosjd

quality posts: 1 Private Messages carlosjd

What is the approximate battery life on these cameras?

CarlosJD

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
CharliePrince wrote:Hey woot! do you mind updating the Facebook share link. It links to the 8" android smart tablet and I need my friends to know they should get me this camera for Christmas? Huh? HuH? Do ya? Do ya?

If it is a problem on my end then please shoot me with a Woot! monkey and knock my two brain cells together so they form a thought and I can figure this out.

It's a known FB caching issue. Sorry, if I could fix your fail I would.

I'm just hanging out, really.

doggiesnot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages doggiesnot

It's Tuesday. Do we get two of them?

kbwoof15

quality posts: 7 Private Messages kbwoof15

in Japan they don't use the Rebel moniker - instead it's called the "Kiss"

elker

quality posts: 0 Private Messages elker

B&H photography supply. They're online.

Opus7

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Opus7

Best price I could find: $419 w/free shipping.
http://www.electricsam.com/product.asp?id=25623
Most of the others are used or Refubished

lampe3

quality posts: 1 Private Messages lampe3

it's a 58mm lens cap. any camera shop will stock them or you can check out amazon

mrfishwhiskers

quality posts: 11 Private Messages mrfishwhiskers

I'm in for one to take pictures of my cougar grandma modeling the -NOM- shirt I just bought on shirt.woot

dgrosch

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dgrosch
carlosjd wrote:What is the approximate battery life on these cameras?

I really don't know since I've never run out, but it's much longer than any other camera I've used. We went camping and my daughter took about 500 pictures, probably around 50 with the flash, and the battery indicator was still showing plenty of life left.

jbenfield

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jbenfield

I've been holding out for a Nikon 5100, but this is tempting...

petecuba

quality posts: 0 Private Messages petecuba

Bought this during the Woot Off last week. Very satisfied with the camera, but sad that I found the Canon t3 for just $450 soon after. If you are needing more megapixels (for some reason) or if video is important to you, probably worth the extra $50.

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Rebel-T3-Digital-18-55mm/dp/B004J3Y9U6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1323799978&sr=8-1

TSOG

quality posts: 3 Private Messages TSOG
axphw1 wrote:My instructions to the DJ at our wedding- NO BLACK EYED PEAS

What about the cook?

CharliePrince

quality posts: 15 Private Messages CharliePrince
DennisWKam wrote:Sorry, we'd love for you to share this deal! Really! But... there's some issues with Facebook's API that we're trying to get straightened out. Stay tuned and try to share later.

I am glad you share my enthusiasm for sharing this deal. Apparently from all the other comments the other "deals" like this are from sites that may not be on the up and up. Thank you for responding and I will be checking back every hour or so to see if you guys are able to update it. I just used the send email to those special people who might be able to pick this up for me or want to pick this up for someone else.

So it is boughten.... So it must be paid off with a second job!

CharliePrince

quality posts: 15 Private Messages CharliePrince
inkycatz wrote:It's a known FB caching issue. Sorry, if I could fix your fail I would.

I am happy to know that you take pride in fixing my fails. Makes me feel good about the things I buy from Woot! after all most problems with products are user error related.

So it is boughten.... So it must be paid off with a second job!

neoomk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages neoomk

In for one!

Does the "Centon 32GB Class 10 SDHC Card" at deals.woot work for this?

http://www.betamomsaves.com

xooomissy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages xooomissy

True, but read see fine print.... The only $379 ones i found are actually refurbished. This is New. So still nto a bad deal at all