quality posts: 0
Might have been said before, but US-made Pyrex home products were never borosilicate glass in the memory of most people using woot... (aka 1940s on) only Pyrex laboratory products were.
<--- Yes, that's a hipster tiger.
quality posts: 83
tiger7610 wrote:This is offered right after my pyrex casserole dish exploded in my kitchen today
And, pray tell, HOW did this "explode?" Inquiring minds want to know...
acpress.com Not cute, but useful.
quality posts: 13
It occurs to me that the line between woot, kids.woot and home.woot is getting thinner and thinner... The 'original' is losing it's lustre..
I'm just sayin'
edit: I'm catching up on the forums now, and see that I am not the only rocket scientist to have made this observation... woot, take heed and listen to the masses...
Just really damn lucky: Random Crap: 2/15/08, 2/19/09, 12/25/09, 4/1/10, 12/1/10, 12/25/10, 4/1/11, 5/11/11, 9/14/11, 10/12/11, 12/25/11
quality posts: 16
I have pyrex, corning ware, and Pampererd Chef stoneware. All have their function and get used quite a bit in my kitchen. The pyrex (I have a 9x18 dish) is great for casseroles and baked goods. I just use tin foil if it asks for a lid. I like my corning ware, but I find it is a little harder to clean and prone to scratching more then my other.
I am completely obsessed with my stoneware though. Definitely the biggest pain to clean (have to let it soak with water then use a soft nylon brush without detergent), but so worth it. Everything cooks evenly, never burns, and I don't have to use cooking spray since nothing sticks to it. I plan on replacing all my pyrex and corning ware with stoneware piece by piece. I have noticed with my stoneware though I have to increase the cooking time by 10-15 minutes for rolls, cookies, and breads. I'm not scientific or in a Google mood to figure out why, but I am hooked on stoneware. If you can save up for it, then I suggest that over any glass or ceramic products.
Get the expensive stuff though. My mom got me a $10 stoneware cupcake pan from Bed, Bath, & Beyond which I was excited to use. I have one from Pampered Chef, but wanted another one for large batches. My Pampered Chef cooked evenly, didn't burn easily, and cleaned up like normal without staining. The BB&B one burned some of the muffins and stained HORRIBLY. I never could get it to clean right. I ended up throwing it out and paying the money for another Pampered Chef.
Signatures are harshing my mellow.
quality posts: 4
I esploded a Pyrex dish.
We mistakenly set it on a hot burner when it was full of casserole.
It esploded big time in about 10 minutes. Shards of glass all over the kitchen.
Why? Base expanded due to the heating from the burner, while the outside walls didn't heat up because of the thermal inertia of the casserole next to it. When the base expansion exceeded the tensile strength of the glass, it esploded.
Scared the carpe out of me and my sister-in-law.
However it was EXACTLY what the manufacturer says not to do. Probably the same sort of thing would happen if you took a hot, full pyrex dish out of the oven and stuck it on a block of ice.
Boom! It's all about the differential heating. Put it on a hot pad, not a hot burner, and don't broil in them.
That said, I'm in for one.
Fundamentalism is a crime against humanity
quality posts: 7
You fail to understand that the "what my family has always used" no longer applies - they switched glass types and Green soda glass is MUCH MORE LIKELY TO BREAK in extreme temperature change than is the old tempered glass.
Consumer Reports tested these types of dishes - if you have granite counter tops make sure you put something between the dish and the counter or else it will almost 100% explode if the dish is hot.
FINALLY GOT A Bucket of Candycorn ON 9/22/10!