quality posts: 5
I received the Kindle DX as a gift, and quite frankly, I don't use it too often. The three main reasons for my non-use of it are:
1) The Kindle DX is just too big to hold for any extended reading session.
2) The next page buttons are all on the right hand side of the device.
3) If you ever plan on putting it inside a Kindle DX folio case or cover, the thing just gets really heavy.
If any of the reasons I listed above aren't of a concern for you, then the Kindle DX is a great deal since it uses 3G to deliver books purchased (or in your Kindle Library) without any type of 3G contract or service.
As an fyi, I do use the Amazon Kindle service a lot more on my Samsung Galaxy 5.0 Media Player and on my IPad. There's just something about being able to swipe to turn pages and using something light (not heavy) in bed to read. (So if you are more of a page-swiper to turn pages, the Kindle DX is not for you..., and you should probably look into the Kindle Fire or Kindle Touch).
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side and a dark side, and binds the universe together.
quality posts: 1
I have an original Kindle, Nook, And a shiney new 10" tablet.
Can read on the Kindle for hours with no eye strain due to the eink screen. Can D/L books almost anywhere I am. Love that Whispernet.
I can last about an hour on the nook if in the shade with no bright lights nearby showing up as little balls of fire on the page.
Tablet is ok for reading magazines online and surfing but you can't read too long as eye strain gets to you again because of the little fire balls if near lamps or overhead lights.
This has a large screen compared to the fire. It has eink making reading easy. comparing this to the Fire is comparing apples to oranges.
I should have been a pair of ragged claws
Scuttling across the floors of silent seas.
quality posts: 9
After 1 year of use with my Kindle DX I have the following conclusions:
1) I will never read a paperback again
2) I will never read a book from an LCD again
3) I will also purchase a smaller e-ink reader when I want something portable. The DX is meant to be in a briefcase or on your night stand. This is not something to carry around in a pocket/purse/manbag.
The processor in it makes web browsing really slow, but you don't use this for web browsing unless it is a dire emergency.
This is for book reading. It does 1 thing, and it does it perfectly.
009 Big ol' Cornucopia
untold billions of dollars on other carp