3%
2%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

wootalyzer

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wootalyzer

Wootalyzer's Pricing Post! - The price of today's woot item is saved here for future reference
------------------------------------------------------------
Kindle DX Wireless Reading Device with Free Global 3G
$199.99 + $5 Shipping
Condition: Refurbished

*DISCLAIMER* Wootalyzer! is in no way affiliated with Woot!, and this post may not always be here!

molecularchristine

quality posts: 8 Private Messages molecularchristine

Arrives by Christmas...$5 overnight shipping?

octobermedia

quality posts: 0 Private Messages octobermedia

why would you buy a refurbed old version for $200 when you can get a brand new shiny kindle fire for the same price and free shipping??? Why woot, why?

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 589 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

molecularchristine wrote:Arrives by Christmas...$5 overnight shipping?

Can you believe it?

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

MisterRon

quality posts: 6 Private Messages MisterRon

The price is great. The Kindle is large (good and bad points), and it's fairly heavy.

MisterRon

jbhswim

quality posts: 31 Private Messages jbhswim

Have the regular Kindle and I love it! This is a total steal for $199 and overnight shipping!

ZLoth

quality posts: 22 Private Messages ZLoth

At that price, do you want a large size Kindle reader or a Kindle Fire?

2woot2woot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages 2woot2woot

How many books come with this?

jaymanmsu

quality posts: 9 Private Messages jaymanmsu

Remove Emily Dickinson from this thing and you've got yourself a deal, woot.

molecularchristine

quality posts: 8 Private Messages molecularchristine
ThunderThighs wrote:Can you believe it?

It's a Christmas miracle!

calebmitchell

quality posts: 64 Private Messages calebmitchell

Wha--what is this madness?! An electronic Woot product with no creepy-insane-madly-laughing-like-a-raging-maniac-pink-haired mannequin-head picture?! WHO ARE YOU AND WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH MY WOOT?!

todaresq

quality posts: 75 Private Messages todaresq

Video Review from 2009 I think it was a paid for ad... lol

Video Review from 2010

CNET Review from 2011

Anyone want to teleport to a couple weeks from now for a 2012 review???

bpr2

quality posts: 181 Private Messages bpr2

YouTuben

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCPk4wxcync

that was fun while it lasted!

broknrechord

quality posts: 0 Private Messages broknrechord
MisterRon wrote:That's not the DX. This is the dx: http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-DX-Wireless-Reader-3G-Global/dp/B002GYWHSQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1324533818&sr=8-1

Total brain fart. My hopes are dashed.

zigzagjoe

quality posts: 5 Private Messages zigzagjoe

Please note, this uses Kindle OS V2 and as such does not get V3 features such as WebKit based browser - that means, one that is actually usable. *

No technical reason amazon couldn't have backported K3 OS to the DX and Kindle 2 - Kindle 3 is the exact same hardware with a hair more RAM and flash. Bit of a Santa repudiator move, really.

* a third party has backported the K3 OS, but it requires a working K3 to actually install legally (or something like that). Otherwise, best to my knowledge, all functionality is intact in such an install.

auggie46

quality posts: 1 Private Messages auggie46

...hmm, let's see ~

1) kindle fire NEW is $199.00 (free ship) AND is a TABLET!

2) kindle dx re-tinker is $199.00 ($5.00 ship)

3) ipad 2 just WAY too much...

okay, BIG duh on what to get?

wootrix

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wootrix

Really now? Are people really trying to compare a 10" kindle e-ink reader with a 6" e-ink kindle and a color lcd kindle fire tablet?

Really?

Why not compare it to some refurb HP laptops while you're at it?

RebelTaz

quality posts: 8 Private Messages RebelTaz

WOW! You can tell this is an Amazon-owned site. Did you get a load of the length of the description on this thing!?

clcaruthers

quality posts: 32 Private Messages clcaruthers

So you're telling me that this is FREE worldwide 3G??? Seems too good to be true. I'm about to move to Sierra Leone for work for about a year and I have to pay $2.49 a minute to make calls to the US and even more ridiculous data rates, but I can buy this and download this for free???? Just bought a Galaxy tab a few weeks ago just to have while I was overseas, but this seems like this its too good to be true! Someone tell me that this will work in BFE Africa and Europe!!!

Edit: Where is this 100 plus countries list?!?!

ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!

earmstro

quality posts: 1 Private Messages earmstro

A refurb Kindle DX for $199.99? You shouldn't have, Woot!. No, really. You shouldn't have.

Here's one PC World contributor Jeff Bertolucci's prediction from September: a fire sale of "the Kindle DX at $179 while supplies last."

http://www.pcworld.com/article/239718/kindle_dx_when_does_the_fire_sale_start.html

$20 higher for a refurb? The same price as the Fire? Not for me, thanks. Great display, though.

Maximafr3ak

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Maximafr3ak

IT HAS 3G...

KINDLE FIRE DOES NOT !!!!!!!!!!!!

zigzagjoe

quality posts: 5 Private Messages zigzagjoe

People comparing this to the kindle fire are completely missing the point.

This screen is much bigger to boot, even more importantly, it's E-ink.

What that means:

* Absurd battery life - around a week of very heavy use, to weeks for more casual use.

* Slow screen redraw (moot when reading books).

* No eyestrain.

* Unlimited viewing angle - it looks like superb quality newsprint.

In other words, the E-ink screen is what makes the kindle worth using as a text reading device. The "Kindle" Fire is an android tablet, complete with LCD et al. Good for rich media, but not a #1 choice for book reading.

katfisch

quality posts: 1 Private Messages katfisch

This could be the first Woot in history, purchased only by citizens of NoDak!
Not to say it's not a great deal or nothin...
If I dint already have a Kindle and an iPad with Kindle app, I'd be all over this.

todaresq

quality posts: 75 Private Messages todaresq
auggie46 wrote:...hmm, let's see ~

1) kindle fire NEW is $199.00 (free ship) AND is a TABLET!

2) kindle dx re-tinker is $199.00 ($5.00 ship)

3) ipad 2 just WAY too much...

okay, BIG duh on what to get?

iPad2 it is...

B2Rstudio

quality posts: 2 Private Messages B2Rstudio
octobermedia wrote:why would you buy a refurbed old version for $200 when you can get a brand new shiny kindle fire for the same price and free shipping??? Why woot, why?

My former roommate had a regular kindle and then ended up getting this one because of PDFs.The larger screen is better suited for PDFs.

lpsession

quality posts: 3 Private Messages lpsession
molecularchristine wrote:Arrives by Christmas...$5 overnight shipping?

Rocket snail!

eepeep

quality posts: 5 Private Messages eepeep

I received the Kindle DX as a gift, and quite frankly, I don't use it too often. The three main reasons for my non-use of it are:
1) The Kindle DX is just too big to hold for any extended reading session.
2) The next page buttons are all on the right hand side of the device.
3) If you ever plan on putting it inside a Kindle DX folio case or cover, the thing just gets really heavy.

If any of the reasons I listed above aren't of a concern for you, then the Kindle DX is a great deal since it uses 3G to deliver books purchased (or in your Kindle Library) without any type of 3G contract or service.

As an fyi, I do use the Amazon Kindle service a lot more on my Samsung Galaxy 5.0 Media Player and on my IPad. There's just something about being able to swipe to turn pages and using something light (not heavy) in bed to read. (So if you are more of a page-swiper to turn pages, the Kindle DX is not for you..., and you should probably look into the Kindle Fire or Kindle Touch).

Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side and a dark side, and binds the universe together.

calebmitchell

quality posts: 64 Private Messages calebmitchell

What? Are you serious, Woot? The crazy mannequin is named Mandy?! That's the greatest thing I've heard all day! I have a friend named Mandi (close enough) and with the exception of being a pink-haired mannequin head, that description I gave suits her perfectly I can't wait to tell her about this! She'll slap me, but it'll be worth it ;)

chelseajaccard

quality posts: 2 Private Messages chelseajaccard
clcaruthers wrote:So you're telling me that this is FREE worldwide 3G??? Seems too good to be true. I'm about to move to Sierra Leone for work for about a year and I have to pay $2.49 a minute to make calls to the US and even more ridiculous data rates, but I can buy this and download this for free???? Just bought a Galaxy tab a few weeks ago just to have while I was overseas, but this seems like this its too good to be true! Someone tell me that this will work in BFE Africa and Europe!!!

Edit: Where is this 100 plus countries list?!?!

The Amazon page says it works in 100 countries worldwide... something tells me that probably does NOT include BFE Africa. However, I live in Uganda and we do have a 3G network... whether this would work here or not, I don't know. I would research before buying.

earmstro

quality posts: 1 Private Messages earmstro

While the large screen on the DX would seem to benefit users who rely on pdfs, it wouldn't help me. Papers in the biological sciences often have color figures, and e-ink would let me down. Give me readable fluorescent micrographs, or give me... well, something other than the DX.

achang1

quality posts: 1 Private Messages achang1

no way it will still arrive before Christmas.

mehron

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mehron

@clcaruthers Keep in mind this is an e-ink reader. Browsing the net is possible, but not really practical — the web browser, after all is found in the "experimental tab" of the Kindle menus. The biggest feature is in the fact that you can browse, purchase, and download books without being tethered to a computer to do so.

That being said, you are able to browse the web anywhere and everywhere free of charge. (Works great for me when AT&T is taking a beating downtown Chicago.) I have sent two Kindles off the Poland and they work without a hitch over-the-air for over a year now. Amazon even sells adapters to work with the USB chargers so that you do not have to use a power converter to charge the device.

So no worries, I can vouch for the fact, personally, that free data anywhere actually means free data — anywhere.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 589 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

achang1 wrote:no way it will still arrive before Christmas.

Please notice the before Noon ordering time needed receive it by Christmas.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

johntracker

quality posts: 3 Private Messages johntracker
clcaruthers wrote:So you're telling me that this is FREE worldwide 3G??? Seems too good to be true. I'm about to move to Sierra Leone for work for about a year and I have to pay $2.49 a minute to make calls to the US and even more ridiculous data rates, but I can buy this and download this for free???? Just bought a Galaxy tab a few weeks ago just to have while I was overseas, but this seems like this its too good to be true! Someone tell me that this will work in BFE Africa and Europe!!!

I've used my DX to download books in Hong Kong and in the UK. I'm in Australia at the moment and downloaded a book from my archive yesterday. All the downloads are quick and free (not the books though!). I don't know about coverage in Africa however.

graydogs

quality posts: 1 Private Messages graydogs

I have an original Kindle, Nook, And a shiney new 10" tablet.

Can read on the Kindle for hours with no eye strain due to the eink screen. Can D/L books almost anywhere I am. Love that Whispernet.

I can last about an hour on the nook if in the shade with no bright lights nearby showing up as little balls of fire on the page.

Tablet is ok for reading magazines online and surfing but you can't read too long as eye strain gets to you again because of the little fire balls if near lamps or overhead lights.

This has a large screen compared to the fire. It has eink making reading easy. comparing this to the Fire is comparing apples to oranges.

I should have been a pair of ragged claws
Scuttling across the floors of silent seas.

m3talcore

quality posts: 6 Private Messages m3talcore

Addressing the people suggesting other models, the advantage to the DX (as I see it) is the 9.7" (246 mm) 1200 x 824 screen. If you're looking at something more detailed such as, say, a math textbook then it makes a world of difference.

For demonstration here is a page resolved at 800x600 and 1200x824. The subscript is much clearer in the latter.

Serafyna

quality posts: 12 Private Messages Serafyna

I got this for my husband last year and he uses it daily. He's an avid reader and a programmer. He uses his Kindle DX for casual reading, to keep his "toolkit" (reference books for various code), and for new programming languages he's learning. He specifically wanted a DX for the large size - the large screen is much better for showing text books, and the e-ink is easier on the eyes for extended reading.

We both have laptops and smart phones and have no use for a tablet -- but we both have e-readers with e-ink screens. I would never consider a tablet instead of a e-reader unless you needed something that multitasks. It's all about personal preference. If you enjoy reading for a couple of hours the e-ink really is easier on the eyes the staring at a traditional computer screen.

myrlin

quality posts: 9 Private Messages myrlin

After 1 year of use with my Kindle DX I have the following conclusions:

1) I will never read a paperback again
2) I will never read a book from an LCD again
3) I will also purchase a smaller e-ink reader when I want something portable. The DX is meant to be in a briefcase or on your night stand. This is not something to carry around in a pocket/purse/manbag.

The processor in it makes web browsing really slow, but you don't use this for web browsing unless it is a dire emergency.

This is for book reading. It does 1 thing, and it does it perfectly.

008 Barrels of Crud
183 Bottles of Juice