alukan

quality posts: 5 Private Messages alukan

I have both a Kindle Fire and have had the DX and I take both with me when I travel. The DX is a 1000% better for extended reading and the ability to download instantly a book when I finish the current one I am reading is very handy. It even works overseas (not had any problems in Europe or Asia).

I actually like the larger size as it allows me to increase the reading font and not have to change pages every couple of sentences like a smaller reading area would.

Combine that with the ability to read from it while outside in the sun and it will be used for more years to come.

But I also love my Kindle Fire for when I travel and feel the need for a movie or to play a game. But I would never seriously read from it for any length of time and won't even try to read from it outside.

One last point is battery life, the DX lasts forever (well weeks on a charge) and has no problem with the 20+ hours of flying from the US to Singapore for example. The Fire (like most tablets) would run out of power before we left US air space.

WiredLlama

quality posts: 2 Private Messages WiredLlama

Ok, so my question is: How does this arrive by Christmas but my order yesterday afternoon doesn't??

clarprof83

quality posts: 1 Private Messages clarprof83

So I could send and receive email overseas (Honduras) with this?

pecosdave

quality posts: 1 Private Messages pecosdave

I want one so bad.

I'm a tech, and most commercial hardware manuals come in PDF format these days. I've been using my Kindle 3 to view these PDF's but the text is too small even for me. One of these babies would be perfect for PDF manuals, but it's too close to Christmas and I need every dime I've got to travel and take care of the kiddies.

Burning-Chrome

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Burning-Chrome

I _Love_ capitalism!! I bought a first gen. original Kindle when they first came out for $360, I can get the same size Kindle that is lighter, better battery, more storage, better resolution for $79, 3 short years later! I still use my original Kindle, Love it!

broklynite

quality posts: 0 Private Messages broklynite

I have the first generation DX, got it when it first came out. The only differences between mine and this are the international wireless and the type of eink used. I love my DX. I love to read. I like to read books in a font that is reasonably large. On a regular Kindle, that means having fairly few lines per page. With the DX I can very comfortably read at whatever size I like. I bought it mainly for work- I have to read lots of journal articles which are typically in PDF format, and back then this was the only kindle which supported PDF. That said, if you want to read a PDF, you can't beat the DX. The smaller kindles will allow you to zoom in and move the page around, which is just a pain in the ass. The is the only one which has a screen size close to the 8.5x11 which the PDF will likely be. And if it still isn't large enough, you can turn it sideways for a zoom that displays roughly the top half of a page.

Is it heavier? Yes. Have I ever gotten tired, holding it one handed? No. It just isn't that heavy. For whatever reason, next and previous page buttons are on the right side only, rather than both as on other devices. On the other hand, you can always choose to flip it upside down. The screen will rotate (an option which I gnerally keep off because it gets annoying) and the buttons will reverse sides. That said, this can be annoying if you are laying in bed and reading a book, rolling onto your sides.

Still and all, I love my DX. I wish that it had the better eink that this one does. I wish that it have the international 3G that this one does. Mine cost $500. This costs you $200. I hve had to trade mine in a half dozen times for various problems, and every time was shown absolutely understanding courtesy from Amazon, who were always more than happy to help out. They really do have outstanding customer service.

katiushka

quality posts: 0 Private Messages katiushka
pecosdave wrote:I want one so bad.

I'm a tech, and most commercial hardware manuals come in PDF format these days. I've been using my Kindle 3 to view these PDF's but the text is too small even for me. One of these babies would be perfect for PDF manuals, but it's too close to Christmas and I need every dime I've got to travel and take care of the kiddies.

I am tech too and I want one!!!!!! I have a Fire and i love it! it is the best purchase I ever made!!!! but this one would be perfect for all my technical books..... no more ubber tinny network diagrams!!!! and it is almost half the price!!!! But yesterday I got the Ooma and I cant spend more money!!!! aaarrggg....

BTW... people that say the fire is better that this... I understand.... they don't know what is reading for long hours or what is is a technical book or how big and heavy it can get.... lets see... a microsoft or linux book weight compared to the DX... hhmmm.... I understand..... ;)

wigout

quality posts: 8 Private Messages wigout

Just pointing out:
This is the "original" Kindle DX, the "white" version.
Currently Amazon is selling the "graphite" Kindle DX.

The principle difference between the two is contrast ratio/readability.

According to a forum thread on Amazon:

"The old screens were 7:1 contrast and Pearl screens are measured at 10:1 contrast. 10/7 ~ 1.43, so the Pearl screen has almost 50% better contrast than the old K2/DX screens. "

Here's a link:
http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx1D7SY3BVSESG&cdThread=Tx2K2BDK1LDIHOU

EDIT:
Just pointing out I am totally wrong. That's the graphite one being sold here. My wild-goose-chasing bad.
Ah, wasted time! I could have been eating a sandwich or composing a sonnet- but I spent my time elucidating unnecessary product information on woot.

Burning-Chrome

RebelTaz wrote:WOW! You can tell this is an Amazon-owned site. Did you get a load of the length of the description on this thing!?

Still reading it. I'll get back to you on this later today when I finish.

ride1288

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ride1288

You can get this NEW at Radioshack for $189.00 and get a $15.00 gift card

bduchouq

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bduchouq

At this price, get a new Nook! If u have a Barnes and Noble store near you shipping is not a big deal. Compare specs.... Nook is better!

lboban

quality posts: 12 Private Messages lboban
molecularchristine wrote:Arrives by Christmas...$5 overnight shipping?

One of the advantages to Woot selling out to Amazon is that we reap the rewards of the larger global distribution network. It's Dec. 22nd and Woot can sell us stuff that arrives in time for Christmas. I, for one, welcome our Amazon overlords!

jbrandii

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jbrandii

Some folks are missing the point - the DX is much larger than a standard kindle, and was originally targeted to be used with textbooks/reference for students/professionals and the like. Yes - a bit heavy for reading you harleqin for too long, but way better that 50 lbs of textbooks, with little compromise in terms of presentation/screensize.

p2002

quality posts: 8 Private Messages p2002

Any concern regarding the discontinuation of the 3G service? E\W seems a good deal for travelers, on the edge...

pphilipp

quality posts: 3 Private Messages pphilipp

Oprah would be so proud of you folks!
You had made the statement that there was no market for ebook readers. Oprah came along and praised the device on her show and overnight a sensation was born!

The woman has power. She sold you on ebooks and she put a man in the whitehouse. What else will you buy from her?

InvisiBill

quality posts: 2 Private Messages InvisiBill
ride1288 wrote:You can get this NEW at Radioshack for $189.00 and get a $15.00 gift card

Nope, that's a 6". http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11756006

The DX has a 9.7" screen and sells for $379 on Amazon, as others have pointed out. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002GYWHSQ/ Even used ones (as opposed to factory-refurbished) are selling for $200+.

Anyone saying that you can get this (or something similar) for a better price is looking at something substantially different. Either it's LCD rather than e-ink (which may be better for computing and movies, but not for plain reading) or it's much smaller (most Kindles have 6" screens). This model also includes worldwide 3G data coverage so you can download new books nearly anywhere for free (my girlfriend lives out in the boonies where broadband isn't available but 3G is, so she doesn't have to come over and bum my WiFi just to use her Kindle Keyboard).

The huge screen may not be the best choice for casual reading, but it sounds like it's great for certain types of books or for those who like to crank up the text size. The lack of WiFi is a bit of a bummer too. However, the e-ink screens are a completely different experience from LCDs, and very nice for reading. The included 3G is handy for downloading new material and even basic web browsing.

sejp

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sejp
clcaruthers wrote:So you're telling me that this is FREE worldwide 3G??? Seems too good to be true. I'm about to move to Sierra Leone for work for about a year and I have to pay $2.49 a minute to make calls to the US and even more ridiculous data rates, but I can buy this and download this for free???? Just bought a Galaxy tab a few weeks ago just to have while I was overseas, but this seems like this its too good to be true! Someone tell me that this will work in BFE Africa and Europe!!!

Edit: Where is this 100 plus countries list?!?!

If you go to this link:

http://client0.cellmaps.com/viewer.html?cov=1

and type in Sierra Leone, you'll see that there is no coverage there; there is some coverage in some neighboring areas (Guinea Bissau). Based on personal experience, the european coverage is pretty extensive.

clcaruthers

quality posts: 32 Private Messages clcaruthers

Thanks for the map! I tried to find one but couldn't. Turns out it won't work where I'm going. Super bummed

ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!

Burning-Chrome

ride1288 wrote:You can get this NEW at Radioshack for $189.00 and get a $15.00 gift card

Just checked. Radio Shack is Not selling this larger screen DX version, only varieties of the 6 inch screen.

M3947TG5

quality posts: 2 Private Messages M3947TG5

I have reader with e-ink, and totally don't get the big deal about it. It is "just like" paper in that you have to have the right light in order to read it. I have to tilt it at times to get rid of a glare, especially if I have a lamp on. It's much less of a glare, but still there. I'd imagine a screen protector can cause a problem too if you have the wrong one. I was surprised to find I like the other display better (which I have on a really old Palm) because I can truly read it anywhere, any time, regardless of the ambient lighting. And using buttons to turn the page gets old. Just sayin'.

Burning-Chrome

Damn You Woot!!! Can't.... hold... back.... MUST.. replace.. 3 year old Kindle V1...

In for one

drew359

quality posts: 1 Private Messages drew359

Is the Kindle DX useful when traveling? Can it pull up things like train and flight info? Are there travel info sites it can access, or do you have to buy e-books for the area you're traveling in? Can it do maps?

Hudson_CM

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Hudson_CM

Perfect. Thank you woot.

thermo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thermo

Since when does Kindle Touch have a landscape mode? The lack of that feature is the source of most of the criticism of the Touch.

Annabanana1c3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Annabanana1c3

This is way overpriced. Why a refurbed old generation for $200 when the brand new Fire is that much? I don't think that the 3G was even this much when it came out...

Annabanana1c3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Annabanana1c3
M3947TG5 wrote:I have reader with e-ink, and totally don't get the big deal about it. It is "just like" paper in that you have to have the right light in order to read it. I have to tilt it at times to get rid of a glare, especially if I have a lamp on. It's much less of a glare, but still there. I'd imagine a screen protector can cause a problem too if you have the wrong one. I was surprised to find I like the other display better (which I have on a really old Palm) because I can truly read it anywhere, any time, regardless of the ambient lighting. And using buttons to turn the page gets old. Just sayin'.

You don't have a Kindle, obviously. The screen on the Kindle plus the e-ink prevents glare. Yes, you have to use an external light on it, but I'd take that over my eyes burning out from a backlit screen.

mgriggs

quality posts: 3 Private Messages mgriggs

Since woot is owned by Amazon, don't you think they could have done an even better price on a refurbished unit with all of the competition out there? Refurbished DX for $150, i'm in for at least 1. This deal, I'll save my money and wait for the iPad 3 to come out in the future. Besides I have a whole library of books to read on a shelf, GASP!

My Collection of crap:
Burgandy Olfactory Center 12/6/11 Burgandy Olfactory Center 3/9/11 RC 10/21/10

M3947TG5

quality posts: 2 Private Messages M3947TG5
Annabanana1c3 wrote:You don't have a Kindle, obviously. The screen on the Kindle plus the e-ink prevents glare. Yes, you have to use an external light on it, but I'd take that over my eyes burning out from a backlit screen.

The Kindle is not the brand of e-reader I have. I hated needing the light and the newer backlit screens are just fine for me. Plus, I hate being tethered to Amazon. But that's just me.

JulieKid

quality posts: 3 Private Messages JulieKid

I have a DX and an iPad.

I use both of them mainly for reading when I'm on the treadmill. On the whole, I prefer the iPad overall. One big reason is the swipe to turn the pages. Pressing the buttons is more difficult on the treadmill, especially when I get up to running speeds. Also, pushing on the Kindle sometimes activates the touch screen of the treadmill behind the Kindle.

I also routinely suffer from eyestrain from using the computer too much. However, neither the DX nor the iPad has ever caused me eyestrain, even if I'm looking at them for more than an hour at a time.

Like I said, overall, I prefer the iPad for reading because of the touch screen/swipe to turn and the backlight. As long as it's not causing me eyestrain, I do prefer having the backlight available.

One other thing about the DX: if you're working out with your reader, like I am, you're going to want that big screen. Otherwise you'll be turning the page every 2 seconds, which is annoying when you're trying to run. Also it's awesome to be able to turn the font up pretty big because it can be hard to maintain your focus on small print when you're on the move.

eshabash

quality posts: 0 Private Messages eshabash

My 2¢ on Amazon's Global 3G: never been able to use it in Russia from my Kindle (not DX) while visiting my relatives (Kazan and Yelabuga cities of Tatarstan province). The regular 3G service is available there from several cell phone netwoks. Tried in 2010 and recently in Nov 2011 -- no luck.

Cheers,
Emirco
  • 12/01/2011 HEXBUG Nano Raceway Habitat Set
  • 11/13/2008 Sandisk Clip 2GB MP3 Player
  • 09/17/2006 Snap Sights 35mm Waterproof Camera
  • 09/11/2006 SanDisk 512MB MP3/WMA Player
  • 07/17/2006 iRobot Roomba

ThatPoshGirl

quality posts: 32 Private Messages ThatPoshGirl

I have a Kindle DX and love it. My only complaint is that it doesn't have a memory card slot like the original Kindle. It's not that big if a deal, though, since Amazon keeps the stuff not on your Kindle in the cloud, accessible at any time.

I don't recommend it as your only Kindle, though. It's not small and portable. It's perfect for textbooks and technical manuals, but for casual reading a regular Kindle can't be beat.

Anyone who thinks a Kindle Fire is preferable probably doesn't read much.

Jerry559

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Jerry559

3G coverage map available here:
http://client0.cellmaps.com/tabs.html#cellmaps_intl_tab

Linked from here:
http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-DX-Wireless-Reader-3G-Global/dp/B002GYWHSQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1324565169&sr=1-1#kindle-features-wireless

marisano

quality posts: 2 Private Messages marisano

Some questions:

1. Is the dictionary enabled for PDFs?

2. Can one annotate DXG (this model) PDFs easily?

3. How is organization of PDFs handled? Can you organize them via folders or do you have to use "collections"?

4. Does the DXG use a PDF's table of contents to allow one to skip to various points within the document?

5. Is it possible to change the font in a PDF document? (Probably not because PDFs can contain multiple fonts??)

6. Can one change the font size of a PDF apart from resizing the whole thing (i.e. without resizing pictures)?

7. Likewise, can one resize the pictures within a PDF without also enlarging a document's text size?

Thanks heaps!

gerkie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gerkie

Yes, you can send e mails over seas with this, but it isn't zippy fast. I have used it in Europe (Spain and Italy) and it has done the trick.. but again, be ready to be patient!

keatingfamily

quality posts: 0 Private Messages keatingfamily

When I was in Sydney Australia on my standard Kindle it told me the only free 3G I had was to download books I bought. I would have to pay for 3G to browse the internet.

rwiseman

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rwiseman

Same deal at BestBuy and you have someone to talk to if you have an issue. Not worth the chance or the hassle.

The Ronman

Ronnie L. Wiseman

rwiseman

keatingfamily wrote:When I was in Sydney Australia on my standard Kindle it told me the only free 3G I had was to download books I bought. I would have to pay for 3G to browse the internet.

This is true only the Kindle Fire allows you to freely browse the internet because it runs off wifi hotspots

Ronnie L. Wiseman

escapecar

quality posts: 16 Private Messages escapecar

NO IT ISN'T.

This deal is for a refurbed DX, which is THE BIG KINDLE. You are NOT buying one of these at any store for $199.

Will someone have to post this on every page of this thread?

rwiseman wrote:Same deal at BestBuy and you have someone to talk to if you have an issue. Not worth the chance or the hassle.

The Ronman

rwiseman

marisano wrote:Some questions:

1. Is the dictionary enabled for PDFs?

2. Can one annotate DXG (this model) PDFs easily?

3. How is organization of PDFs handled? Can you organize them via folders or do you have to use "collections"?

4. Does the DXG use a PDF's table of contents to allow one to skip to various points within the document?

5. Is it possible to change the font in a PDF document? (Probably not because PDFs can contain multiple fonts??)

6. Can one change the font size of a PDF apart from resizing the whole thing (i.e. without resizing pictures)?

7. Likewise, can one resize the pictures within a PDF without also enlarging a document's text size?

Thanks heaps!

From what the sales man told me nonononononononononononono and no

Ronnie L. Wiseman

marziah

quality posts: 17 Private Messages marziah
auggie46 wrote:...hmm, let's see ~

1) kindle fire NEW is $199.00 (free ship) AND is a TABLET!

2) kindle dx re-tinker is $199.00 ($5.00 ship)

3) ipad 2 just WAY too much...

okay, BIG duh on what to get?

Neither of them. The Kindle Fire has an 8 hour battery life and no hard volume buttons. Both of those get annoying, sez the Fire owner.