WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: When does your family open presents?
  • 10.7% - Christmas Eve 358
  • 47.1% - Christmas Day 1571
  • 29.2% - Some on both days, in different company 975
  • 3.7% - Some other day when we can all get together 124
  • 6.3% - We don't open Christmas presents 209
  • 3% - Some other complicated scheme I'll tell you about in the comments 100
3337 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

standard888

quality posts: 0 Private Messages standard888

The twelve days of Christmas--we dole them out, one a day, for the 12 days leading up to and including Christmas, so we don't have to take them with us if we travel. Then we just pretend we opened them all Xmas morning when we talk to family. It's way more fun to have one a day than to deal with that mess of wrapping paper on Xmas morning.

KtCallista

quality posts: 33 Private Messages KtCallista

Santa brings unwrapped gifts and stocking stuffers for Christmas morning. We open gifts from our immediate family (us and the three kids) on Christmas - it'll be after brunch this year, and maybe after nap, depending on how early the youngest wake up.

Then on the 29th (which is the first day my Dad fully has off and awake - since he's switching from nights to days over the holidays) we will drive the 6 hours and have Christmas with them, my sister, her husband, and my grandma.

After we return home we will again celebrate the arrival of the Three Kings on Jan 6, when we open gifts from family memebers who live too far away for us to visit.

The last Christmas celebration is occasionally unnecessary, but sometimes is a major deal, depending on where we are on Christmas day. I like celebrating it even it it's not completely needed, like this year - since all the away gifts I'm expecting have already arrived (although my husband's dad could surprise me and remember before March....) Adopting the observance of the true Twelfth day of Christmas has given us that added flexibility to handle gifts arriving a day late AND it really spreads out the appreciation for the mound of toys, instead of just one or two favorites floating to the top. -- a double issue since Ver1's birthday is exactly 2 weeks before Christmas so she's already got a load of new stuff.

Beware the V'owls screech!

NomadDave

quality posts: 2 Private Messages NomadDave

Since I was born on Christmas Eve, my family has tried to separate it as much as possible. Before I was born... I don't know...

So, for me, I do Birthday on the 24th and Christmas on the 25th.

David N Polister

loststream

quality posts: 5 Private Messages loststream

We always open our presents on Christmas Day. My husband and I usually set out the presents wee early, on the morning of Christmas. This year, we set them out about a week early. We mistakenly believed that our children, who are now 10 and 8 years old, were old enough to leave the gifts alone. We made a terrible mistake of naively trusting them. Nearly all the presents now have small rips on them!!! I can't tell you how many of the gifts now have gift wrapping "patches" on them!!! And, I'm not even about to re-wrap any of them for pretty pictures sake. I think we might try the 12 days of Christmas thing next year, hopefully that might deter them from peeking into all their presents.

bigeastbay

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bigeastbay

How come there is never a mention of Hannukah? it is one per night were I live!

r3soux

quality posts: 0 Private Messages r3soux
loststream wrote:We always open our presents on Christmas Day. My husband and I usually set out the presents wee early, on the morning of Christmas. This year, we set them out about a week early. We mistakenly believed that our children, who are now 10 and 8 years old, were old enough to leave the gifts alone. We made a terrible mistake of naively trusting them. Nearly all the presents now have small rips on them!!! I can't tell you how many of the gifts now have gift wrapping "patches" on them!!! And, I'm not even about to re-wrap any of them for pretty pictures sake. I think we might try the 12 days of Christmas thing next year, hopefully that might deter them from peeking into all their presents.

Pfffsh! In my house, any gifts tampered with were RETURNED December 26th. I've always been taught that a gift is something that's given, not something that should be expected or spoiled by greed or impatience.

Of course, that was primarily to teach a lesson (and that lesson was learned!) In the end, if I was well behaved and remorseful, I would receive the gift later.. :P

Keister

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Keister

First, everybody takes a slip of paper out of a hat. And one person’s slip says “Murderer”. And another person’s slip says “Inspector”. Then everyone puts their head down except the murderer — he’s the inspector! No, that’s not right.

Ok so everyone picks numbers out of a hat. And then the person with the highest number gives the smallest gift to the tallest person and if they want to switch they cannot unless they do then everyone puts their head down except the murderer, oh wait no, that's not right either... X mas is hard

nlohoft

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nlohoft

We always open 1 gift on Christmas Eve (Chirstmas jammies) and the rest on Christmas morning.

Lisa Hoft

rayray099

quality posts: 6 Private Messages rayray099

We like to do one on xmas eve and then the rest xmas morning, but my bday falls a wk before xmas, so sometimes we combine. Or sometimes my bday is celebrated the day of. Or on New Years. Or in January. You can see where the priorities are

Frankster14

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Frankster14
Keister wrote:First, everybody takes a slip of paper out of a hat. And one person’s slip says “Murderer”. And another person’s slip says “Inspector”. Then everyone puts their head down except the murderer — he’s the inspector! No, that’s not right.

Ok so everyone picks numbers out of a hat. And then the person with the highest number gives the smallest gift to the tallest person and if they want to switch they cannot unless they do then everyone puts their head down except the murderer, oh wait no, that's not right either... X mas is hard

+1

neminem

quality posts: 0 Private Messages neminem

The "complicated scheme" is thus: most of our presents are opened at the usual time, Christmas morning. However, being from a rather liberal Jewish family whose mom just really enjoys celebrating secular Christmas, back when I still lived at home with my parents, that would be most of our presents except 8 small ones, which would be opened one per night on Hannukah.

danetree

quality posts: 0 Private Messages danetree

We open one gift on Christmas Eve, usually new pajamas or nightgowns. This goes back to my childhood. My dad love his 8mm movie camera, and Mom always wanted us to look our best on Christmas morning as we opened the rest of our presents.

phoenixgirrl

quality posts: 1 Private Messages phoenixgirrl

We've always done 1 on Christmas eve, and the rest on Christmas morning. But we do that at my house, then my mom's house, then my father's house, and then the kids go to their dad's house. So a bit complicated. At least we're all in the same town.

I always intend to buy cute Christmas jammies for the kids to open on Christmas eve, but never actually remember. Hmmm... maybe I can do that tomorrow...

lqotw

quality posts: 1 Private Messages lqotw

ROFL! My entire family howled when I read this to them - Good Answer!!!

Keister wrote:First, everybody takes a slip of paper out of a hat. And one person’s slip says “Murderer”. And another person’s slip says “Inspector”. Then everyone puts their head down except the murderer — he’s the inspector! No, that’s not right.

LQOTW
(If only she'd use her Powers for Good)

bouncefactor

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bouncefactor

christmas eve is when we open gifts from family(socks, clothes, ugly sweaters etc...) Christmas day is for the good stuff that Santa brings(via woot sometimes) electronics, toys etc...

Am old like 70s pontiac trans ams. 1st comp was Vic20. Learned BASIC on an AppleII. Atari1040st was first use of comp to go on "net" 87 phone modem into SUNY system

thumperchick

quality posts: 233 Private Messages thumperchick

philpotpie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages philpotpie
thumperchick wrote:One on Christmas Eve, the rest on Christmas morning.

Ditto

trixierix

quality posts: 1 Private Messages trixierix
bigeastbay wrote:How come there is never a mention of Hannukah? it is one per night were I live!

Because it's pretty obvious how Hanukkah (forgive my spelling) works. Everyone follows the same routine. Would be a pretty silly poll to take.

BTW, we do all ours on Christmas Day.

danh42

quality posts: 0 Private Messages danh42

1623 people responded. 2.6% explicitly said they'd leave a comment. 1623 x .026 = 44. There are 18 comments. At least 26 people should be ASHAMED of themselves!

plainsong76

quality posts: 0 Private Messages plainsong76

i am seriously alone in the whole "once-you're-an-adult-(i.e., out of college)-you-don't-get-gifts" category? seriously...my brother and i would get maybe $50. and now nothing. sucks, but oh well.

roni24

quality posts: 0 Private Messages roni24
nlohoft wrote:We always open 1 gift on Christmas Eve (Chirstmas jammies) and the rest on Christmas morning.

When I was young that's exactly how we did it. I think it's the best way to celebrate Christmas unless you only have 1 present under the tree then you're pretty much screwed and have to watch everyone else open there's and your present has to be saved for Christmas Day when the opening of the rest of the presents happen. Merry Christmas to you and your family.

nanakathy52

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nanakathy52
standard888 wrote:The twelve days of Christmas--we dole them out, one a day, for the 12 days leading up to and including Christmas, so we don't have to take them with us if we travel. Then we just pretend we opened them all Xmas morning when we talk to family. It's way more fun to have one a day than to deal with that mess of wrapping paper on Xmas morning.

uh ... the 12 days of Christmas refer to the 12 days AFTER Dec 25 .... until Epiphany on Jan 6 .... just so you know.

Bluemaan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Bluemaan

We celebrate "Chanumas" being that I grew up with a large part of our Jewish family being Catholic. So, Chanukah has 8-nights worth of presents, then we have Christmas morning @ my daughter's G-dfather's house! Woot! (indeed) :>

afterburn2600

quality posts: 3 Private Messages afterburn2600
nlohoft wrote:We always open 1 gift on Christmas Eve (Chirstmas jammies) and the rest on Christmas morning.

When us kids were little, our family did the same thing, too. Now that the youngest is almost 30 (and nobody has grandchildren yet) we just hit Christmas morning (or afternoon if sleeping in is important).

Merry Christmas (or whatever you do)! Stay safe and show love to the people around you!

firehorse2084

quality posts: 0 Private Messages firehorse2084

We were allowed to open one present on Christmas eve, then the rest waited till Christmas Day

manahnen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages manahnen

Everything on Christmas eve night, our family family is too impatient to wait for another 12 hours.

cindyscrazy

quality posts: 3 Private Messages cindyscrazy

Wow, a lot of people have the one on Christmas night and the rest the next day.

Not jammies, though. Usually, it's just a small gift. The kids are SUPPOSED to pick one themselves, but 9 times out of 10, the kids pick on, mom says NO, NOT THAT ONE! and then picks out the one that she's willing to let go of one day early lol

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it"--from a T-shirt

https://www.etsy.com/shop/cindyscrazyknits?ref=si_shop

Sher48gage

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Sher48gage

We don't open Christmas presents. And I actually think Jobsmas makes just as much sense as Christmas mixed with Santa Claus, so maybe you have something there!

jrs1980

quality posts: 28 Private Messages jrs1980

I work at a call center, my one sister works at a gas station, and the other sister works at a hotel. (We're all high achievers, you see.) So whichever day we're all off at the same time. This year, that was tonight.

Pardon me, would you have any bags of crap?

SBCJester21

quality posts: 9 Private Messages SBCJester21

I'll be opening mine when my Bag of Cats arrive!

mfritz07

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mfritz07

During Hanukah. (And by that I mean no offense to those who celebrate Christmas, it's just that I don't)

pik

quality posts: 2 Private Messages pik

Right AFTER the Burgandy Olfactory Center.... The kids are still crying.

harleycat

quality posts: 1 Private Messages harleycat
thumperchick wrote:One on Christmas Eve, the rest on Christmas morning.

That is the way our family has done it, back when I lived at home. Now I have 6 dogs and it is Christmas everyday to them!

loogy

quality posts: 1 Private Messages loogy

We do stockings on Christmas Day and presents on Epiphany (3 Kings Day), which should be January 6, but now is the 2nd Sunday after Christmas, so this year will be January 8.

Put the Crap in the Bag and step back and nobody will get hurt.

rdjuras

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rdjuras

So my parents have been separated since I was three, which means at least two Christmases. But generally it becomes three or even four, since my grandparents go to Florida to see my cousins, and then we see them later. Then my dad takes us to see my aunts and then his girlfriend's sister. So winter around the holidays become one big stream of gift giving and receiving. It can get a little crazy. But it's quite entertaining. haha...

PocketBrain

quality posts: 44 Private Messages PocketBrain

Normally, the extended family gets together on Christmas, but this year, I had a Holiday sea cruise with my brother's family, so we are reconvening on Boxing Day. I certainly hope we are to honour the Queensberry rules.

justapixel

quality posts: 15 Private Messages justapixel

Ah Christmas.

Tradition is the kids open a gift before bed on Christmas Eve. PJs and a book, that will hopefully put them to sleep.

Santa delivers and Christmas morning is an orgy of gift giving. Santa leaves gifts unwrapped, mom and dad wrap.

Of course, now we have an extended family. Remarriages, grown kids....so we do a Christmas Eve party AND a Christmas Day celebration.

We have a 24th birthday too. It's not my kid, or we'd be celebrating half year birthdays just to make it more special.

That's the way it's done, folks.

jaweno

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jaweno

I always receive presents on christmas eve and open it once i receive it. If i receive my present on christmas day, i will open it on that day. So it due to when i receive it!!

jaymanmsu

quality posts: 9 Private Messages jaymanmsu

With my in-laws Christmas Eve. My wife and kid on Christmas Day. With the rest of my side of the family New Years. It gets complicated some years.