+ Add a Comment

shoulda2

quality posts: 2 Private Messages shoulda2

Great product I personally use PC's mostly but do have a mac mini I use as a media server.

I do see a lot of post saying you could build a PC for half this or you could buy a Dell for half of this machine that's a bad comparision here's why.

If you spent $500 building there are cons:
-If you have a bad stick of ram (or other component) you can spend hours troubleshooting. Box systems are pre-tested with all components and typically "burnt-in"
- Have to keep up with warranties on individual components (no single throat to choke)
- Backorder items, multiple package deliveries
-Still have to buy an OS (assuming windows)
-Risk bending pins etc, even if you are careful it can happen.
-if you don't have things like static bands, artic silver, etc there are additional cost people forget to factor in.

If you buy a $500-600 Dell it won't be nearly as nice as this unit, and will no doubt be full of trialware, and will have their crappiest warranty. This is where Apple is kinda smart actually. They have a good reputation because they don't sell the $299 special with terrible support and tons of trialware, which is where most complaints seem to come from for Dell systems. People buy a $300 laptop with a 90 day trial of mcafee and don't renew their subcriptions or go and install AVG /Avast or some other freeware AV program, then they complain about getting virus, go figure.

That being said though a Dell that cost maybe ~$900 compared to this MAC you could get a unit that is faster, and their next level of support which is as good as Apple's in my experience. An Alienware is lightyears beyond a MAC in most cases and has serious horsepower, their support is also really solid and full of gamers wihch is nice if you buy that product to play games.

bkpier

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bkpier
calebmitchell wrote:Exactly what makes the mouse "magic?" At that price, the thing better do my dishes and laundry!

I believe it is the same "magic" as in the "magic" bullet my girlfriend owns....

mikewbingham

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mikewbingham
roadhunter wrote:But you're obligated by law to pay your state's sales tax for all online purchases. Why don't you just steal a computer? It's no different than not paying your taxes.

Sure it's different: the potential penalties are lower, ergo the crime is of lesser significance. Don't forget to pay income tax on the items you sell on eBay, even if the tax is more than your profit margin!

acoolwoot wrote:I love the fact that I replaced an entire nest of cables with just one.

If you consider 2 or 3 cables a "nest", I'd be interested in your description of the bundle coming into the server closet in my house. Then again, you won't find me buying the latest Crapple product just to be scene (intentional pun) with it at the nearest Starposers coffee-burning cafe.
Oh, fizzlesticks....I swore I was gonna stay out of the PC vs Crapple debate.

sonkelek wrote:This iMac 21.5-inch 2.5GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5 looks to be a better choice. Check it out before you buy.

That link redirects you to Amazon, which redirects you to the refurbished product on the Apple site. They should thank you; you help specialdeal.info get 5 cents for every click as an Amazon referer.

davidbrault wrote:I always do a Google search on Woot deals to see how good of a deal it is before I buy, and I found same iMac for $780 here.
hxxp://esportmart.com/scamtastic-link.html

This is a scam company. Though they advertise a hone number in Tennessee, they are physically in Indonesia, and can't/won't accept credit cards. They push for bank wire transfers. You also might want to do a Google search on a company before you send them your money (or refer people to them).

Just to bounce a few key words off the rev limiter and see what comes out:

happy = merry
box of candles = Bag of Coal
ten tee error = Krampus
Captain Kirk = The Star Wars Holiday Special (1978)
present tense = The Star Wars Holiday Special (1978)
Thomas, toilet inventor = crap
Lassie = elf
hat = ass
Echo Bay = eBay

coolbana

quality posts: 1 Private Messages coolbana

Top surface of the mouse is also a touchpad, scroll by swiping down, zoom with a spreading motion, return to size with pinching motion, etc. very cool.

CoolBana

vulcansdad

quality posts: 4 Private Messages vulcansdad

I'm not a computer guy, but I bought one of these, or its immediate predecessor, about a year and a half ago.
Best tech product I've ever owned. It is an amazing device. No problems whatsoever and, for me, it outshines my Samsung laptop (which I bought on Woot last summer) by a country mile.

jeffemming

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jeffemming

How could anyone stomach spending this much on a computer only to not be able to max out graphics on games 1-2 years from now?

ahowes

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ahowes

Have one as my first Mac and love it. Good price.

bcins

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bcins

well worth every single penny, awesome machine.... And yes, spring for the Apple Care product for the added piece of mind

farnsaw

quality posts: 0 Private Messages farnsaw

12.5% is a HUGE discount for Apple. They seldom give more than 5% even to huge corporations and/or the gov't. Educators will usually get close to 10% except off iPads and iPhones.

ffking

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ffking

Still cheaper to get a PC with better specs than it is to buy any mac.

dave17

quality posts: 2 Private Messages dave17

"Free"Is to expensive for a Windows machine.I wouldn't go back if you put a gun to my head.

ricstorms

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ricstorms

Actually you can get the same Mac refurbished from Apple directly for $40 less with free shipping. Of course I'm sure their stock of those is more limited compared to Woot.

ScottFromWyoming

quality posts: 11 Private Messages ScottFromWyoming
monix wrote:Or you know, you could get a PC with the same specs for a fraction of the price...

By all means, knock yourself out. What a useless post. "My car has 4 wheels and a motor, TOO! Ha ha ha you paid too much!"

I get that you think can put together a hardware package that outshines this. Maybe you can. If your monitor is this nice (seems to be where people cheap out the most) then you're probably pretty close. Now go look into your Hackintosh options. If you're putting your own machine together then you should be comfortable enough with that, and I'll admit it's pretty attractive, hackintoshing a bargain PC for the kids to trash.

radi0j0hn

quality posts: 95 Private Messages radi0j0hn

I like both PCs and Macs, especially now that Adobe Audition works on both. I use it a lot.

Merry Christmas, Wooters...I enjoy discussions here...even about Dysons.

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

KcasMij

quality posts: 1 Private Messages KcasMij

It's not that we forget to factor in the cost of a display... Most of us just don't consider it a display...since when that computer is outdated, you can no longer use the monitor on a newer computer.

At over a thousand dollars I would have expected some sort of touch screen capabilities...

Even if it was a 21.5 inch touchscreen monitor like the one below, that leaves over 700 dollars to play, which is why people who aren't pro apple say it is a poor value...

http://www.buy.com/prod/hp-compaq-l2105tm-21-5-inch-widescreen-lcd-touchscreen-monitor/212804184.html

crisss1205 wrote:People seem to forget to factor in the price of the 21" IPS LED display.

Also it is $1,120 at B&H

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/767558-REG/Apple_MC309LL_A_21_5_iMac_Desktop_Computer.html

tuaamin13

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tuaamin13
KcasMij wrote:It's not that we forget to factor in the cost of a display... Most of us just don't consider it a display...since when that computer is outdated, you can no longer use the monitor on a newer computer.

At over a thousand dollars I would have expected some sort of touch screen capabilities...

Even if it was a 21.5 inch touchscreen monitor like the one below, that leaves over 700 dollars to play, which is why people who aren't pro apple say it is a poor value...

http://www.buy.com/prod/hp-compaq-l2105tm-21-5-inch-widescreen-lcd-touchscreen-monitor/212804184.html

HP also has all-in-ones that can't be used as a monitor after the computer dies. Starting at $599 for a 21.5". Again, that's not IPS. But yes, there's some "aesthetic" cost, and people pay for that. Why by a Lexus when you can get a Toyota? Mostly the finish.

And also, the 27" iMacs can be reused as monitors. http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3924
I have no idea if this feature is on the 21.5" as well.

nhellwig

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nhellwig
rdaignault wrote:Actually there was a big tv, but you had to pick it up from woot hq in Texas. Pretty sure that was the most expensive woot.

Ray

Actually, it was a 60" Olivia flat screen LCD TV for $2,200 and they still shipped it for $5.00. I know because I bought one and they shipped it to Florida. :-)

garyruster

quality posts: 2 Private Messages garyruster

They also have the IMac with the 27" monitor for just $1040.

http://esportmart.com/apple-imac-27-quad-core-intel-core-i5-2.7ghz-4gb-ram-1tb-hard-drive-amd-radeon-hd-6770m-mac-os-x-lion.html

drurichman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages drurichman
markpsw wrote:An i5 with 4GBof memory 500GB HD for over $1000? HAHA ... Apple must be coating these babies in gold.

Most likely you forgot to add the hi-res digital 21.5" display. A OS that has no viruses. And a nod to the computer with the best ROI in the industry. Oh, and did I mention that it has the lowest cost of ownership of any computer on the market? And just like most other computers (yeah, right), it'll run the Mac OS X, Windows 7-64 bit, Unix, and Linux Operating Systems and all their associated software. But just for fun, compare it with other manufacturer's all-in-one desktops. You'll be surprised that the Mac isn't rally any more expensive.

Jethro70

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Jethro70
bigray57 wrote:Once you go MAC, you NEVER go back!!!

Ummm... No. Once you experience constant "beach balling" while trying to use those stellar bundled programs that came with your Mac, you'll be dying to go back.

One month ago I ordered an HP refurb off of Woot to replace my obsolete-in-the-box first gen Mini. $385 shipped got me a 2.9 Ghz processor, 8 GB RAM, and 1.5 TB hard drive -- and it isn't just "faster on paper" than today's paperweight of a Woot, it is faster in the real world. I already had a nice 20" monitor, so I spent a little extra on some nice add-ons: $100 for a nice wireless keyboard & mouse set (number pad included), and $25 for Malwarebytes.

And Mac people, no it is NOT impressive that I was still using a Mini 6-years after it went obsolete. It was supplemented with a Gateway laptop after 2 years of life, which reduced its use to Quicken and printing duties -- and it was a major pain in the apple just to perform those simple tasks -- way too much beach ball for what I was doing.

If this seems like a great deal for those of you Job-ites who love your quirky, bass-ackwards, overpriced machines, then go for it -- knock yourself out. It will be well worth the extra money if you truly believe it in your heart.

And before you accuse me of being an antijobite, this comment was made using an iPod Touch 2nd Gen [which like my iPod Nano, will not sync with my 1st gen Mini].

amytude

quality posts: 1 Private Messages amytude

We love mac products and have been using them for the last 7 years or so. Why do we love them: They work. Plug and play. No viruses in any of that time. Also, our youngest DS has autism and macs are genius in that regard, esp. his ipad. It's not all about looking stylish. Gimme a break.

drurichman

sdc100 wrote:It's cheaper at the Apple store. I'm not an Apple person but this $1019 deal looks like the exact same model, and the s/h is FREE.

For my money, I can get the same specs for a lot less with WIndows. And upgrading, i.e. replaceing the monitor, is much easier.

That's not the point thought. Build an all-in-one for the same or less. Then you've got a basis for comparison.

drurichman

Roostalee wrote:I have a Mac, and it doesn't have a right-click option.

Sure it does! Go to System Preferences (under the Apple Menu) and select Mouse. Then you can assign the 'secondary click' to the right or the left side of your mouse.

drurichman

sdc100 wrote:I make the purchases for my research team, and have a final say on computer equipment for my department -- and I rarely approve Apple computers for many reasons, i.e. it's MUCH easier and cheaper to fix and upgrade Windows computers, which is important in a corporate environment. Heck, we have a closet full of monitors, etc that can be reused ... but not in Macs. And that's the warning I give to people who buy these all-in-one Macs and Windows PCs. If you monitor breaks, or you want a larger monitor, you're screwed. Sure you can add an external monitor, but you'd had this thing taking uo space. Likewise of much of the innards. While my warning applies to both Apple and Windows all-in-ones, Apple is much more likely to use proprietary components. Consequently, it's often not as easy as putting in or swapping a card that you can easily (and cheaply) buy. Nor can you probably just upgrade the drive to any old BluRay writer by swapping.

BS and FUD. And with the exception of Blu-Ray drives (which Apple doesn't support, most Mac use the very same components as PCs.

kokeman36

quality posts: 8 Private Messages kokeman36

And your only paying 500 more for a picture of a piece of fruit.

virtual1one

quality posts: 6 Private Messages virtual1one
garyruster wrote:They also have the IMac with the 27" monitor for just $1040.

http://esportmart.com/apple-imac-27-quad-core-intel-core-i5-2.7ghz-4gb-ram-1tb-hard-drive-amd-radeon-hd-6770m-mac-os-x-lion.html

Why on earth isn't this the deal that's featured?

Yes all the current imacs work in "target monitor mode".

I'd suggest using the money you save to purchase applecare. It comes with a 1 yr hardware/service warranty and 90 days of phone support. Anytime within the first year you can add applecare to it, and that extends the hardware warranty to 3 yrs and phone support to 3 yrs also. Their support has been rated #1 in the industry for the last several years, you won't be talking to some snowman and they don't mind spending hours on the phone with you if necessary helping you with anything including using software. Applecare also gives you the (little known) benefit of FREE ON SITE service. Techs come to your house to fix broken hardware. Try getting THAT from dell. A single geek squad visit alone is usually more than the cost of applecare.

suttonabc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages suttonabc
twig123 wrote:Will this work with my PC?
lol, I think it is save to say that the majority or wooters don't use MAC :P

Only if our Macs ever die, and we are FORCED to PC. ;) (Once you go Mac, you'll never go back.)

Jethro70

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Jethro70
kokeman36 wrote:And your only paying 500 more for a picture of a piece of fruit.

That's not just a picture, it's a genuine Apple logo milled from a chunk of solid aluminum!

shaun40555

quality posts: 5 Private Messages shaun40555
wackyanimation wrote:This is the issue with the security argument of macs. They have less spyware, malware, and viruses, but they are way less secure. As the market base goes up, so does your lack of security. Its a moot argument. If you are getting viruses, regardless of the OS, its definitively operator error. It is easy enough to avoid getting viruses without even buying anti-virus software.

I don't see how using your computer is operator error. I mentioned a scenario where my gf was going on a regular none warez web site. She had anti-virus, popup blocker,etc. Still got infected. Had to install no script to make sure the madness stopped. I go on the same site, no problem.

TheR0CK

quality posts: 0 Private Messages TheR0CK
mikewbingham wrote:If you consider 2 or 3 cables a "nest", I'd be interested in your description of the bundle coming into the server closet in my house. Then again, you won't find me buying the latest Crapple product just to be scene (intentional pun) with it at the nearest Starposers coffee-burning cafe.
Oh, fizzlesticks....I swore I was gonna stay out of the PC vs Crapple debate.

1 monitor power cable
1 pc power cable
1 monitor video cable (analog, hdmi or dvi)
1 keyboard cable
1 mouse cable
1 microphone cable
3 speaker cables (1 to the sound card 1 to the speaker power supply 1 between the 2 speakers).

I don't use mac. I work on PCs every day, and cable management is one of the things people are always concerned about. So yes I would consider 9 cables a nest, and that is the typical number of cables you get with a PC that is not an "all in one", the original poster was correct, this iMac requires just a power cable and he could replace a nest with 1.

You however fail at your attempt to minimize the cable management issue, however you did successfully display you have mastered being a snarky prick. Congratulations and Merry Christmas.

texaschick77073

quality posts: 0 Private Messages texaschick77073
mrrypr8nkster wrote:Link to apple store price...only $150 discount but for a new apple product that is pretty nice.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_mac/family/imac/select

But without tax...

kidnice1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kidnice1

How is this a good deal? Same model and specs for about $30 more at Best Buy with the added benefit of getting it today versus weeks from now. No thanks. This is not a Woot worthy deal. So sad.

Peregrinari

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Peregrinari

Not to propagate the Apple war....but.... I was a died in the wool PC person for many years. 25 in fact. I DOSed it, I used Windows, OS/2, then of course Linux and I for one loved Windows 7. I inherited some money last year and decided that since I am a art professor and used MACs at work, I would buy a Macbook Pro. I was so apprehensive about the cost it was unbelievable. I almost had an anxiety attack on the floor of the apple store and ran out. I was determined to do it and I stuck with it because I knew that if I hated it I could return it. 8 months later I can tell you I will never look back. Yes, there is a small to mid premium over equivalent (solid aluminum VIAO comes to mind) machines on the PC side (EQUIVALENT DOESN'T MEAN SPECS GUYS!). The quality of construction is unbelievable. The fact that almost everything "just works" is so relieving that I will never sit down and d*ck around with a PC trying to get everything working ever again. The only reason I could ever see to stay with PC now is if you are a hardcore gamer. Not just a gamer because many games are out on the MAC side but a hardcore gamer. If I needed windows on my laptop (I still maintain 4 different windows and linux PCs in my house) I would just install windows 7 on my MAC. Then I would have the quality of hardware with Windows. Now, if I had the cash, I would replace all but 1 of my PCs at home with one of these or the larger one (27 inch). Alas, they are expensive and I wouldn't be able to afford that. Just my 2c

kokeman36

quality posts: 8 Private Messages kokeman36
Jethro70 wrote:That's not just a picture, it's a genuine Apple logo milled from a chunk of solid aluminum!

Sorry my bad, that makes it a deal and a better product.

Glorph

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Glorph

+1,000

My experience is very much like yours. For years I used a Windows system both at work and at home. I used to spend one or two weekends a year tearing down and rebuilding my home system due to device driver conflicts, corrupted registry entries, disappearing system settings, etc. etc. Just hideous. Somewhere around here I still have sweat-stained notebooks full of incomprehensible Blue Screen messages that are the equivalent of "PC LOAD LETTER" or worse. (Yet many PC zealots get emotionally wrought up when you suggest they might have a better experience using a Mac. Just who is running a cult here??)

I'm sure current-day Windows systems are much more reliable, but six years ago I decided to cut my losses and get an Apple machine. I have had zero system crashes since -- not to mention the joy of using a machine that hardly ever hangs or forces me to kill a process.

I spent more cash on that iMac than I would have spent on an equivalent Windows system, but, since I value my time, it's proven to be a great decision.

For anyone who's going to be doing a lot of music or video production, or intensive photographic work, I'd recommend a Mac Pro. The iMac's tiny case will eventually overheat the components inside if it's driven hard every day. So for me, this Woot is underwhelming.

The downside of an iMac is that everything is in one small space, so hardware maintenance is much harder. After 4 years my iMac's video card went bad, and since it was integrated with the motherboard, replacing it wouldn't have been cost effective. So I got a Mac Pro (2.8GB Quad Core Xeon) this last time, about a year ago. (Yes, I had backups of everything, so no data loss in the conversion.)

With a superfast SSD main drive, several huge auxiliary drives, and 12 GB of RAM, this Mac Pro is a monster...not to mention the excellent software that comes bundled with any Mac, and all the fantastic software and hardware that's available for OS X.

But there are still people who miss the days of tinkering with their carburetors and get their rocks off doing frequent computer maintenance at home. I'm glad to have moved on to a system that's more about getting things done than about keeping the system running.

mehmehmehmeh wrote:I was firmly in the Windows camp until about 3 years ago, I installed Hackintosh OSX on an extra partition and used it for about a month. Pretty soon after I took the plunge on an iMac of my own. I still have it, have upgraded from Leopard to Snow Leopard to Lion, and have not had to do one bit of OS maintenance or troubleshooting for 3 years. I will keep using this computer until it doesn't work anymore, which will hopefully be a half dozen years from now. I know people that have iMacs of the last design that still function perfectly 5-6 years later. This is absolutely worth the 20% premium or whatever you pay for a Mac.

I've never really had a moment where I've been like "Oh, I can't do this because I have a Mac," but I suppose that's because I play video games on an Xbox 360 (I like zero-maintenance, zero-configuration processes).

I still use Windows 7 at work (mid-sized software company, I do software engineering). I like Windows 7 but I really can't imagine myself ever buying a personal computer that runs Windows ever again.

If you like doing menial maintenance and configuration tasks out of some kind of misguided masochism, and are fine with having to buying new computers every 3-4 years, I would recommend getting that HP(lol) machine. If you want a computer for getting work done, or as a zero-maintenance, zero-configuration personal computer that will keep chugging along at full speed for years after comparative Win machines are being melted down in China, I recommend taking the plunge.

maestskint

quality posts: 0 Private Messages maestskint
calebmitchell wrote:Exactly what makes the mouse "magic?" At that price, the thing better do my dishes and laundry!

Well, Apple's computers are pricey, but I couldn't think of using my Macs without the Magic Mouse (it's a cross between a regular mouse and a gesture-based trackpad.)

3eyore

quality posts: 7 Private Messages 3eyore

For $855.99 less, you can get a Kindle Fire!

(This of course is the same non-logic that was a part of the Kindle DX sale earlier this week)

Seriously, if I needed a Mac, I'd be all over this. Apple has everyone beat when it comes to industrial design, user interface design, and customer service. The PC manufacturers are only just now starting to figure that out.

QuadzillaXXX

quality posts: 0 Private Messages QuadzillaXXX

lol every time an Apple product comes up it's the same thing

nobody cares if you love or hate macs, the question is...is this a good deal or not for this particular product?

yes, it is a good deal...if you're not a mac user, you weren't going to buy one anyway so why bother commenting on the deal?

8 pages of this crap, none of you are funny or interesting so please stop trying

macs are overpriced! the company is evil! pcs have viruses! those are the only points anyone makes and i just summed them up for you jackasses

now shut up

flyingleftwing

quality posts: 1 Private Messages flyingleftwing

Even with a student discount, you'd still save $100.

saltysteele

quality posts: 4 Private Messages saltysteele

apple products are for people who can't justify spending less and getting more. for this much money, you can get half again as much pc.