3%
3%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

wootalyzer

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wootalyzer

Wootalyzer's Pricing Post! - The price of today's woot item is saved here for future reference
------------------------------------------------------------
Mr. Beer Premium Edition Home Beer Kit
$19.99 + $5 Shipping
Condition: New

*DISCLAIMER* Wootalyzer! is in no way affiliated with Woot!, and this post may not always be here!

njkrut

quality posts: 0 Private Messages njkrut

Ha ha ha ha. I've been wanting these since they posted them back in 2010!

Late Christmas present to me maybe... Any opinions on whether these are better than DIY? I know Boulder, CO has a store all about brewing your own I've considered visiting but this seems easier?

CowboyDann

quality posts: 716 Private Messages CowboyDann

Is premium better than Deluxe?

Edit: This comes with bottles. It is in fact a better deal. The deals.woot dead was deal anyways...

bpr2

quality posts: 181 Private Messages bpr2

that was fun while it lasted!

brendan948725

quality posts: 39 Private Messages brendan948725

Own it. Hate it. It's like brewing for kindergarteners... although that would be immoral.

*MOST RECENT WOOTS!*

• Random Crap
  • Light Blocking Curtains and Rod
  • HP Deskjet Wireless

• 20 Woots! (5 Bungled Original Communicator)
  • 27 Shirts!
  • 5 Sellouts!
  • 2 Homes!
  • 1 Sport!
  • 2 Techs!
  • 1 Wine!
  • 1 Accessories!
  • 2 Pops!

veronikaa

quality posts: 2 Private Messages veronikaa

i have this. followed the instructions and the beer came out flat and crappy.
but maybe it was just me..

Thiney49

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Thiney49

About $3 cheaper than amazon after shipping, so stock up on 3 if you really want the deal!

http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Beer-Deluxe-Microbrewery-System/dp/B00005O68L/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1324965714&sr=8-2

[MOD: Wrong model]

cymbalmonkey

quality posts: 10 Private Messages cymbalmonkey

For those newly turned alcoholics thanks to the holiday season.

Great timing, Woot!

Proudly tracking via WootStalker.com

intheory

quality posts: 0 Private Messages intheory

Premium description from their site:

http://www.mrbeer.com/category-exec/category_id/206

Everything you need to brew/bottle 1 batch of great tasting beer.

Included:
1 Fermenter (2 GAL)
1 Standard Booster™ Refill
8 Bottles with Caps
8 Labels
1 Brewer's Guide
1 Instructions

This kit ships for
only $7.95.

Just $49.95

woncoolone

quality posts: 782 Private Messages woncoolone

Nodwick

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Nodwick

Mr. Beer, that's the name, that name again is Mr. Beer!

TJFoxxxx

quality posts: 12 Private Messages TJFoxxxx

These are good for someone who wants to try a hand at making beer, but if you plan on actually getting serious, they won't do well at all. Go to your local homebrew shop (they're all over the place) and talk to the guys that work there. They'll set you up with a nice outfit.

Thiney49

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Thiney49
CowboyDann wrote:Is premium better than Deluxe?

Edit: This comes with bottles. It is in fact a better deal. The deals.woot dead was deal anyways...

Even so, the BB&B deal has sold out, so looks like we're stuck with this one either way.

rtjakarta007

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rtjakarta007

Bah. As someone way waist deep in homebrewing equipment already, this is useless for me. Maybe I'll grab one for a casual gift for someone.

TJFoxxxx

quality posts: 12 Private Messages TJFoxxxx
veronikaa wrote:i have this. followed the instructions and the beer came out flat and crappy.
but maybe it was just me..

I'd put my blame on the Mr. Beer.

Brewing good beer isn't easy.

najem4life

quality posts: 0 Private Messages najem4life

Terrible product, would never buy again!

rupprupp29

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rupprupp29

Don't mean to be "that guy," but if you're interested in homebrewing, I would recommend getting a full set. They can be had for about 2-3 times this cost (a marginal increase considering how many more options are available to you in the future.)

I haven't personally used Mr. Beer, but I figure if you get it and like it, you're going to end up wanting a full set anyways. And if you're interested enough to get a Mr. Beer and you DON'T like it, you'll leave yourself wondering what a real set would be like.

Ultimately, to each his own, and this would make a good belated stocking stuffer, but as someone who recently started homebrewing, I would recommend getting a full set.

No matter what you do, remember to CLEAN!

amemait

quality posts: 10 Private Messages amemait

If you're serious about making beer, you seriously don't want this. And you won't catch me using bottles, especially plastic. They are a pain to clean. I brew 5 gallons at a time and keg it. Funny how so many friends want to donate (dirty) bottles to me to *give* them my beer. Now that's funny!

ryno920

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ryno920

Seems like the adult equivalent of making Kool-Aid. Considering it is cheap and makes crappy beer it could be a good gift for an 18-20 year old college student.

dtairtime

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dtairtime
Thiney49 wrote:About $3 cheaper than amazon after shipping, so stock up on 3 if you really want the deal!

http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Beer-Deluxe-Microbrewery-System/dp/B00005O68L/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1324965714&sr=8-2

Actually I think it's this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Beer-Premium-Microbrewery-System/dp/B00007G2IX/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1324965845&sr=8-3

The name and description seem to match.
Premium vs deluxe I guess.

jimbotheperson

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jimbotheperson

Good for someone who isn't serious into making beer. Its much better to get a real set up. A decent setup for an enthusiast is around 150 to 200 bucks.

rahulabon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rahulabon

I actually said earlier tonight that I wanted to try and make my own beer after seeing a guy do it on a show.

This is a sign, right?

jbhswim

quality posts: 31 Private Messages jbhswim

Here's the Mr. Beer website that features refills and recipes.. http://www.mrbeer.com/category-exec/category_id/181?gclid=CNrdx5bLoa0CFWgaQgodIjoMlw

Looks like a pretty good deal!!

bernie16wb

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bernie16wb

I would have been all about this up until this spring when I bought a "real" set of brewing tools. Don't regret that at all. You'll get this and then likely want to expand your abilities and end up buying a kit anyway.

irisjune

quality posts: 0 Private Messages irisjune

This Kit on their website is $50. They also have tons of "how to" videos. Seems interesting!
http://www.mrbeer.com/

jkalpowsky

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jkalpowsky

honestly, I'm all for these things. They make a GREAT stepping stone into real brewing for a fraction of the price.

verboten1

quality posts: 1 Private Messages verboten1

It's a great way to figure out if you want to do it. One of my fave beers to make is the cowboy lager, we jus made a 5 gallon batch, it wasn't cheap, but we liked it for a quick easy beer.

I ends up with 2 mr beer kits, before I started getting the equipment to do partial mashes and small all grain batches

editorkid

quality posts: 92 Private Messages editorkid

Bought this on sellout.woot long and really like it. Note that while your beer technically is ready to drink in about five weeks, it greatly develops the longer you age it. Five weeks was the equivalent of storebought beer; eight weeks was really good, and a full 13 weeks nailed it. Be patient, grasshopper.

Also note that Mr. Beer has fantastic customer service. My emailed questions have been answered promptly, and when a refill kit was lost in shipping, they immediately sent out a replacement.

Come to think of it, I hope the refill deal applies to those of us who have bought Mr. Beer kits from Woot in the past.

Caver2130

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Caver2130

As an experienced home brewer, I think this may turn people off of home brewing. Start with a legitimate kit.

hunter306

quality posts: 1 Private Messages hunter306

Wow, this is a real throwback to when I bought my first kit through woot!

I've had great success with the Mr. Beer kit. The big thing to keep in mind is that everything needs to be absolutely spotless, stainless steel utensils are best, everything that touches your beer needs to touch the Mr. Beer 'One Step' sanitizer for at least 10 minutes.

I've brewed over 20 batches of beer and NEVER had a bad batch (not to say, all of them have been amazing). The instructions suggest that you might drink your beer in 2 weeks. This is an absolute fallacy unless you have perfect conditions.

2-2-2 is the golden rule. 2 weeks fermenting, 2 weeks conditioning in the bottle (warm), and finally 2 weeks cold (in the fridge).

If you're a beer drinker and passionate about trying to make your own, this price isn't bad. Now I've got 3 of the mini-kegs, and a surplus of ingredients to keep my kegs full in the pipeline.

Have fun and goodluck!

amemait

quality posts: 10 Private Messages amemait
TJFoxxxx wrote:Brewing good beer isn't easy.

Hmmm... It is if you follow good instructions and have good ingredients. I have never had a bad batch. And I've never used this Mr. Beer thing. I talked to local homebrewers locally and got good info and suggestions from them. For one, invest in good equipment. It will probably cost about $150 to $200 for the basics, including a copper coil wort chiller, but it's worth it. I've brewed more than 50 five-gallon batches with the same equipment and always had great beer!

verboten1

quality posts: 1 Private Messages verboten1
jkalpowsky wrote:honestly, I'm all for these things. They make a GREAT stepping stone into real brewing for a fraction of the price.

I agree!!!

skytechrep

quality posts: 0 Private Messages skytechrep

I can just hear Butt-Head saying.
"Yep...........Mr. Beer".
And Beavis snickering "hehehe....hehehe.hehehe Mr. Beer hehehe".

mikeymet

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mikeymet

A whole lotta work for not enough return. I'd recommend a 5 gal for starters, they're not too unwieldy, and you get to enjoy more of your efforts. With Mr. Beer, the juice isn't worth the squeeze.

I like-ah, doo-dah, dah-cha-cha

mm20

quality posts: 35 Private Messages mm20

Special deal for Wooters over at Mr. Beer, one day only, 10% off your purchase on THEIR site:

http://www.mrbeer.com/woot/

The 12 days of crap was just that- crap.

It's funny how when Woot! calls their stuff crap, it's ok, but when *YOU* call it crap, *poof* you get banned. Hypocrites.

7wootboy45

quality posts: 1 Private Messages 7wootboy45

I miss beer in a bag kits. Those things were handy.

Chris9450

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Chris9450

I bought this same kit on woot a few years ago. Some people will knock the simplicity of it, but you can make a decent batch of beer from this. I don't use mine much anymore (have since moved on to a larger fermenting setup). At this price, there's really nothing to lose if you decide you don't like it. The fermenter by itself can be resold for around 10 bucks on practically any homebrew forum. Nice, cheap way to get into homebrewing.

koneco

quality posts: 16 Private Messages koneco
rupprupp29 wrote:Don't mean to be "that guy," but if you're interested in homebrewing, I would recommend getting a full set. They can be had for about 2-3 times this cost (a marginal increase considering how many more options are available to you in the future.)

I haven't personally used Mr. Beer, but I figure if you get it and like it, you're going to end up wanting a full set anyways. And if you're interested enough to get a Mr. Beer and you DON'T like it, you'll leave yourself wondering what a real set would be like.

Ultimately, to each his own, and this would make a good belated stocking stuffer, but as someone who recently started homebrewing, I would recommend getting a full set.

No matter what you do, remember to CLEAN!

Cleaning is not enough. Cleaning is removing crud, while sanitizing is murdering germs. You want to murder every last microbe with something like StarSan. Added bonus of using glass is that you can get extra genocidal and toss the carboy in the oven and roast at 200-ish degrees for 15 minutes or so.

But, for the Mr. Beer, I'm sure there are some sort of instructions informing you of how to sanitize. Maybe you toss lemon and salt in it and shake for a minute, I don't know. Also, please do not put Mr. Beer in the oven. That guy will melt and pretty much ruin your oven.

dundey

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dundey

I've been a home brewer and wine maker for many years. Started out with beer and switched to wine as I stated to drink / appreciate it more!

THIS KIT IS VERY BASIC. Can you make some beer, yes. Will you be able to drink it - probably. Will you ever use it again, NO!

If you decide to make more beer you'll want real equipment to do it right. It could make a decent gift or may start you on you way to true home brewing.