Jason Toon

quality posts: 19 Private Messages Jason Toon

Behold eight cities from around the world, shamelessly stripped of their map markings to stand naked before you. The satellite images below are oriented the usual way, with north at the top. But I varied the scale as necessary to include enough of each city's distinctive geography. Name them all and claim the title of Master Urban Cartophile. (But you'll have to pay tou have your business cards reprinted yourself.)

Need some hints? Would it help if I told you what continent each city is located on?

Answers can be found by clicking here. Please post your answers, or arguments, below! But know this: the Trivial Eye is presented for public amusement and no prizes are offered other than that familiar feeling of aggravation that so much of your mind is occupied by useless trivia.

cdilljr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cdilljr

#1 Venice, Italy
#2 Miami, Florida
#5 Capetown, South Africa
#6 Istanbul - Just a guess
#7 Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania (Tip of the Triangle)
#8 Anchorage, Alaska

mattryan

quality posts: 41 Private Messages mattryan

Darn, I was hoping for Food Network *sniffles*

olperfesser

quality posts: 2 Private Messages olperfesser

It figures that I only get the 4 I have been to - Miami, Seattle, Montreal and Pittsburgh.

yesthatmcgurk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages yesthatmcgurk

Behold cities, images of which are taken from such a great height that they contain waaaaaay more non city than city, thus distorting your perceptions!

That's not Pittsburgh, that's half of friggen PA.

ZOOM! Do you use it?

Jason Toon

quality posts: 19 Private Messages Jason Toon
yesthatmcgurk wrote:Behold cities, images of which are taken from such a great height that they contain waaaaaay more non city than city, thus distorting your perceptions!

That's not Pittsburgh, that's half of friggen PA.

ZOOM! Do you use it?

Like I said, the scale varies. 3, 4, and 6 correspond closely to the city limits of the cities in question. 1 has only the city and the surrounding water. The rest are sized to show nearby geographic features - my general rule of thumb was "no bigger than a local news weather map".

Next time I do this, I'll try it with some more zoomed-in images and see how that goes.

ushighway17

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ushighway17

1) Venice
2) Miami
3) Seattle
4) Auckland
5) Cape Town
6) Montreal
7) Pittsburgh
8) Anchorage

Needed the hints for 4 and 5, then I was in between Cape Town and Dakar, until the mountains gave it away.

A set of pictures zoomed in close on "notable" buildings/parks/developments in each city might be interesting for a next round of this.

mrass26

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mrass26

I only got 3 of them, but I didn't look at the hint in order to get those 3, I feel like that is a win for me.