WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: Of the last 5 years, the best year for movies was...
  • 10.3% - 2011 78
  • 18.8% - 2010 142
  • 16.6% - 2009 125
  • 10.3% - 2008 78
  • 9.7% - 2007 73
  • 34.3% - I only watch classic films. 259
755 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

curtisuxor

quality posts: 56 Private Messages curtisuxor

The only thing you need to think about is what year The Dark Knight came out.

rottndachs

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rottndachs

The only reason I voted 2007, was that was when I left Hollyweird behind and started watching foreign flicks. And no...none of those artsy fartsy films. LOL Great Britain is kicking butt in the film industry. Just how many times does a movie have to be remade? I have seen a lot of Independent films as well, and they are well done.

verkato

quality posts: 0 Private Messages verkato

I think only 5 or 10% of us are really movie fiend enough to name 5 or more movies that came out in each year from 2007 to 2011. 'I only watch classic films' is probably something more like "I have no idea but I still wanna vote".

monktrain

quality posts: 0 Private Messages monktrain

One word: Avatar. My IMAX stock went from $10 to $30. Thanks, James Cameron.

Discord

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Discord

Dark Knight and Iron Man. 2008. 'Nuff said.

bblhed

quality posts: 7 Private Messages bblhed

I have a four year old so I haven't been to the movies in over 4 years, so sad.

trbofr13nd

quality posts: 1 Private Messages trbofr13nd

To the people who only watch classic films.

[Mod: edited out profanity]

This year had Thor AND Captain America, along with countless other great movies.

Sig sig sig sig sig

cltmhorn

quality posts: 5 Private Messages cltmhorn

I have 4 children. I haven't seen a movie in a theater in a long time. So, for example, I won't know if 2011 was the best year until about mid 2012 - when everything is out on DVD and available via Redbox or Netflix.

aranderson

quality posts: 1 Private Messages aranderson

Turner Classic Movies is one of my favorite channels. I hate that most movies are remade now adays and I prefer the original especially if it was in black and white. Some of the best acting was done in the early 30's, 40's and 50's.

CT

quantamm

quality posts: 85 Private Messages quantamm

Is the implication of the poll that any film made prior to 2007 a "classic"? Because there were a lot of Adam Sandler films made in the 1990's.

cdogg777

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cdogg777

Classic films are TERRIBLE. Is that sarcasm that some of the best acting is early 1900s? Go watch Brad Pitt, or Dustin Hoffman, or Edward Norton, or Johnny Depp...then go watch some 1920s actor.

I just had this discussion about classic books on another forum. Sure they defined the genre, they were revolutionary for their time. But just like the old 1970s PC did the same...I sure wouldn't want to be using that PC anymore. Things have been perfected since then.(Not every modern movie is better than a classic, but the point remains the same)

Anyways I think the previous poster was right. Who remembers what movie was out in what year? So probably people voted for classic just because they couldn't remember...

bobman1235

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bobman1235
cdogg777 wrote:Classic films are TERRIBLE. Is that sarcasm that some of the best acting is early 1900s?

(Mod: Don't be personal about it!)

Film is not ALL about acting. The reason many classic films are great is because of story, and because they let their story breathe, and they develop characters, and they let the camera linger on shots for more than .8 seconds at a time. Are all classic films great? Of course not. Are all modern films The Star Wars Holiday Special (1978)? Not even close. Just like you can't say "all modern movies are great" you can't say "all classic films suck."

(Mod: See above)

thatheard

quality posts: 6 Private Messages thatheard
verkato wrote:I think only 5 or 10% of us are really movie fiend enough to name 5 or more movies that came out in each year from 2007 to 2011. 'I only watch classic films' is probably something more like "I have no idea but I still wanna vote".

I just logged on to say that.

ilovecamels

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ilovecamels

Verrry canny, including an "I'm an insufferable snob" option. I'd have overplayed my hand and done "I don't own a TV."

I say 2007. There Will Be Blood, No Country for Old Men, Gone Baby Gone, Juno, Ratatouille, Superbad, Knocked Up, and maybe more subjectively, Hot Fuzz and The Mist.

lwilso11

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lwilso11
cltmhorn wrote:I have 4 children. I haven't seen a movie in a theater in a long time. So, for example, I won't know if 2011 was the best year until about mid 2012 - when everything is out on DVD and available via Redbox or Netflix.

I agree. I voted based on how much I liked the movies I took my kids to see, and the "grown-up" movies I think sounded good.

ElanorRigby

quality posts: 14 Private Messages ElanorRigby

I voted for 2008, because we had great stuff like Iron Man and Wall-E and we also got new Bond and Indiana Jones movies, and a Batman reboot. I also totally dug Be Kind, Rewind and Baby Mama, a couple of films with bigger names (Jack Black and Tina Fey/Amy Pohler, respectively) that flew under the radar a bit.

Note: 2008 almost didn't get my vote when I realized Twilight came out that year. But honestly, what year in recent history doesn't include a angsty vampire movie?

Even on a cloudy day, I'll keep my eyes fixed on the sun...

spitfire6006006

quality posts: 2 Private Messages spitfire6006006
ElanorRigby wrote:I voted for 2008, because we had great stuff like Iron Man and Wall-E and we also got new Bond and Indiana Jones movies, and a Batman reboot.

I don't see how Indiana Jones coming out that year was a good thing...
also, we didn't get the batman reboot, we got the 2nd in the series

spitfire6006006

quality posts: 2 Private Messages spitfire6006006

also i can't believe no one has mentioned In Bruges for 08

allanderby

quality posts: 0 Private Messages allanderby

The Road
Fantastic Mr. Fox
Up
District 9
Where the Wild Things Are
The Hurt Locker
Inglorious Bastards

2009 easily the best

allanderby

quality posts: 0 Private Messages allanderby
ElanorRigby wrote:I voted for 2008, because we had great stuff like Iron Man and Wall-E and we also got new Bond and Indiana Jones movies, and a Batman reboot. I also totally dug Be Kind, Rewind and Baby Mama, a couple of films with bigger names (Jack Black and Tina Fey/Amy Pohler, respectively) that flew under the radar a bit.

Note: 2008 almost didn't get my vote when I realized Twilight came out that year. But honestly, what year in recent history doesn't include a angsty vampire movie?

Baby Mama? Your opinion is over now.

olperfesser

quality posts: 2 Private Messages olperfesser

The Kings Speech
The Fighter
Winter's Bone
Inception
The Social Network
Black Swan
Secretariat
The Town
Toy Story 3

Kickass

bagbiter

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bagbiter

^ kickass lol

Juno
No Country For Old Men
There Will Be Blood
Michael Clayton
Transformers

2007 = tightest butthole

Runner up = 2009

Side note: 1999 Potentially best year ever (Fight Club)

Hand over the quality post point

TALK ABOUT BALLOONS I COMMAND IT
-XVI

Wuz314159

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Wuz314159

The Return of the King
Lost in Translation
Seabiscuit
Mystic River
Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World
A very sexy Charlize Theron in "Monster" ;)
Girl with a Pearl Earring
A Mighty Wind
The Fog of War......

A very good year.