0%
0%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

wootalyzer

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wootalyzer

Wootalyzer's Pricing Post! - The price of today's woot item is saved here for future reference
------------------------------------------------------------
Kindle DX Wireless Reading Device with Free 3G
$199.99 + $5 Shipping
Condition: Refurbished

*DISCLAIMER* Wootalyzer! is in no way affiliated with Woot!, and this post may not always be here!

auctionsaver

quality posts: 19 Private Messages auctionsaver

ok, so how is a reburbd kindle dx a woot when i can buy a fire for the same... new?

JMCJoshM

quality posts: 0 Private Messages JMCJoshM
auctionsaver wrote:ok, so how is a reburbd kindle dx a woot when i can buy a fire for the same... new?

Yeah.... in for 3.

esflovian

quality posts: 0 Private Messages esflovian
auctionsaver wrote:ok, so how is a reburbd kindle dx a woot when i can buy a fire for the same... new?

Yup, was just going to post that. Kindle Fire brand new from Amazon $199

tirk

quality posts: 2 Private Messages tirk

I like the kindle 2 better. this one is a bit large for a reader.

s21

quality posts: 0 Private Messages s21

Buy this or get the new Kindle Fire for the same price and free shipping...plus you can play apps on the new one and it's touch screen.

yeawuteva

quality posts: 115 Private Messages yeawuteva

we're a day away from 2012, color is the ONLY way to go in this day an age. I mean really? Come on, gimme a break.

aetherchild

quality posts: 3 Private Messages aetherchild

epaper's a whole different animal. battery lasts practically forever, easier to read, purpose-built device.

that said, i agree this price isn't great.

gsmalleus

quality posts: 5 Private Messages gsmalleus
esflovian wrote:Yup, was just going to post that. Kindle Fire brand new from Amazon $199: http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Fire-Amazon-Tablet/dp/B0051VVOB2

Different tablets for different uses. 9" e-ink device vs a 7" android tablet.

mrfox2

quality posts: 6 Private Messages mrfox2

Is free 3G common with Kindles, or is this a once in a lifetime opportunity?

luckbealady

quality posts: 7 Private Messages luckbealady

I also came in to mention the Kindle Fire. This one is so much more expensive. Why?

Tablet options are becoming more and more confusing.

tirk

quality posts: 2 Private Messages tirk
s21 wrote:Buy this or get the new Kindle Fire for the same price and free shipping...

e-ink is the reason to get these and not a fire.

major difference for a reader.

the kindle fire is an entirely different product.

esflovian

gsmalleus wrote:Different tablets for different uses. 9" e-ink device vs a 7" android tablet.

"Android tablet" is a bit of a stretch. It runs on Android but you'd have to root it to get a full Android experience.

zollars23

quality posts: 15 Private Messages zollars23

I'll just post the link to the comments from the last time it was up here. All of your questions answered.

http://www.woot.com/Forums/ViewPost.aspx?PostID=4771431

(V) (;,,;) (V) <---Zoidberg

{img]https://d3gqasl9vmjfd8.cloudfront.net/712b9375-5487-4897-baf4-2212baf8dbca.png[/img]

nostartnoend

quality posts: 1 Private Messages nostartnoend

Isn't Woot in cahoots with Amazon? If so, what explains the very non-Woot-ish (yes, it's a word; look it up — no, not in that dictionary, the other one) price?

gsmalleus

mrfox2 wrote:Is free 3G common with Kindles, or is this a once in a lifetime opportunity?

It is common with some Kindle models.

jamesbottomtooth

quality posts: 41 Private Messages jamesbottomtooth

DETAILED FEATURES are detailed.

really detailed.

auctionsaver

gsmalleus wrote:Different tablets for different uses. 9" e-ink device vs a 7" android tablet.

Yeah, $200 is still alot for a black and white device. I could almost see if for the size for perhaps an e-textbook or comics or something... but it is B&W. And too big as well. I am not saying there is not a place for this (moofi), but this is the new years eve woot. expect something a little special.

mawinchester

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mawinchester

I bought this the last time woot was selling them. I love it.

I didn't want a fire because I wanted the e-ink. I do a lot of reading and the fire would have killed my eyes.

I use it for my textbooks.

roxannez

quality posts: 13 Private Messages roxannez
mrfox2 wrote:Is free 3G common with Kindles, or is this a once in a lifetime opportunity?

Free 3G adds about $50 to the price of a 6" Kindle. A Kindle Touch without 3G is $99 right now on Amazon and the Kindle Touch w. 3G costs $149.

acowfrog

quality posts: 5 Private Messages acowfrog

Why buy this instead of the kindle fire? Because the kindle fire doesn't have E ink. The Kindle with E ink is for the serious reader that doesn't want eye strain. The kindle fire is for the person who wants graphic novels and comic books also tons of apps and games. It honestly depends on your preference. I love my kindle because the E ink reads like a book. Now if only it were back lit...

iluvcheesecake

quality posts: 0 Private Messages iluvcheesecake

The Kindle Keyboard 3G that bestbuy had for $89 a few weeks ago was the damn best deal. Especially for someone who doesn't have a smartphone w/3g internet.

efort

quality posts: 0 Private Messages efort

They are really completely and totally different devices. New this thing was $400, eInk displays are expensive and have a lot of benefits like > 1 month of battery life, any viewing angle, easy to read in day light, glare free. This kindle is great for reading technical documents which require a larger screen, but otherwise, I agree that its a little large for casual reading in bed if you like to hold the book over your head. This also has 3G which isn't on the fire.

The kindle fire is just a cheap ipad.

gsmalleus

esflovian wrote:"Android tablet" is a bit of a stretch. It runs on Android but you'd have to root it to get a full Android experience.

I don't think it is a stretch. The OS is Android on the Fire, you can install apps from Amazon's Android App Store...

auctionsaver

acowfrog wrote:Why buy this instead of the kindle fire? Because the kindle fire doesn't have E ink. The Kindle with E ink is for the serious reader that doesn't want eye strain. The kindle fire is for the person who wants graphic novels and comic books also tons of apps and games. It honestly depends on your preference. I love my kindle because the E ink reads like a book. Now if only it were back lit...

And you forgot people who are afraid to read in the dark or low light conditions.(no backlight)

rridgebacks

quality posts: 5 Private Messages rridgebacks

For the DX, this is a good price vs. anything available on Amazon (except white, which is cheaper! LOL). And yes, this is the same price as the Fire.

That said, I got a Kindle Fire for Christmas, and absolutely love it. However, I gave my Kindle Keyboard to my grandson, and have since regretted it a few times.

If you like to read A LOT, the e-ink Kindle is *much* easier on eyes than the backlit Fire. I'm reading now about 1/2 as much as I'd like to. On the other hand, there are all sorts of other fun things to do on the Fire so it isn't too terribly horrible :0)

For primarily reading, my vote is for the Kindle; for lots of fun, GREAT video color and speed, games, and not so much reading, the Fire is definitely the way to go.

mbk21

quality posts: 4 Private Messages mbk21

The big deal for me is readability in sunlight (on my back deck, in the car, etc). The Kindle Fire has a backlit screen, and therefore the same problems with glare that cell phones, laptops, and tablets have in bright light. I have a different Kindle (also with e-ink) and read it in the brightest sunlight without any trouble at all.

mazman426

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mazman426

If the Kindle has 3G capability then it is free. I have a Kindle touch with 3G and there is no fee for the 3G.

bmw66x

quality posts: 48 Private Messages bmw66x

Huge savings. $379 new over at the Amazon.

Kindle DX with Global 3G

I'm Bryan. Nice to meet you, Wooter.

esflovian

gsmalleus wrote:I don't think it is a stretch. The OS is Android on the Fire, you can install apps from Amazon's Android App Store...

Right, I said it ran on Android.

geredeth

quality posts: 4 Private Messages geredeth

I am still happy with my Nook, but I do like the keyboard on this thing, and the size. They have good viewing angles, light weight, and the buttons are all on the side that I use (right handed). All in all, expensive but might be worth it if you are after a dedicated ereader.

The only reason I can see of them not going down in price is the free 3G.
For the ones comparing it to the fire: as it said the last time they posted this, we can't compare the Fire to normal Kindle. This is an e-reader, and a dedicated device. You can't compare this to an tablet, it isn't even close to designed to do the same thing. Also, unless the Fire comes with free worldwide 3G, then for what this is, I would prefer it.

These things are, as others said, easier on the eyes, the same viewing angles as paper, allowed in schools vs tablets as they are ONLY readers, good at what they do. The same way you can't dismiss GPS devices because some phones have a GPS, you can't dismiss a dedicated ereader because you like tablets. They aren't the same thing, and never will be.

Prime Suspect

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Prime Suspect
yeawuteva wrote:we're a day away from 2012, color is the ONLY way to go in this day an age. I mean really? Come on, gimme a break.

The only practical color displays utilize LED/LCD and a back-lighting. They're not really good for long periods of reading. That's what e-ink is for. Most people use e-ink Kindles for reading books, and color is generally not an issue.

azsteved

quality posts: 8 Private Messages azsteved

Mine died after about a year. I didn't have an extended coverage plan. Amazon isn't a hardware manufacturer. I wouldn't buy another one.

rafairfax

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rafairfax

I never use my 3g and you can buy a brand new kindle wireless for $79 at target best buy, etc. A refurb for $199? Come on woot (aka Amazon) are you friggin kidding me?!

roxannez

Another observation, as a 6" Kindle owner - these larger Kindles look ridiculous when I see people with them on the subway, trying to act cool. These larger Kindles are too large to comfortably hold to read, and it always looks like the users are ready to drop them at any moment.

Also, these Kindle DX'es are so large and obvious, they just scream "Rob me!" I'm amazed at how completely oblivious people using them are acting - it's as crazy as pulling out a laptop or a netbook on the subway. If I do pull out my wimpy 6" Kindle on the bus or subway, nobody even notices because it's the size of an average paperback book.

unavaca

quality posts: 6 Private Messages unavaca

Keep in mind that the free 3G does not apply for library books and free loans from the Kindle owners lending library. It also doesn't apply to documents emailed to your Kindle.

That said, this is a great device if you've previously used a Kindle Keyboard and want something a little better. I ended up "downgrading" to the new $79 kindle when it came out for a lighter-weight reading device.

I now have a Kindle and Kindle Fire and couldn't be happier. Fire is a toy and Kindle is for reading. If you only want to read and want a large screen, the DX at $199 is a steal.

lildetroitmama

quality posts: 9 Private Messages lildetroitmama

for a READER e-ink is way better than a backlit screen. They are two entirely different things, so please don't continue to go on and on about the DX vs. Fire price comparison...

I just got my DX (already have the Kindle 2), and could not be more pleased!!! I LOVE the DX!!! My Woot Kindle DX order arrived the next day!! My mother, who also has the K2, is also tempted to also pick up a DX.. (I'm scanning my fav cookbooks to PDF to keep on file.. handy to use not only for cooking but also for spontaneous grocery store trips. PDF's are waaaaaaay better on the DX.)

If you are considering, don't delay.. the DX sold out last week by 4am!

Highly recommend. The screen is much larger than the K2, yet the size does not feel huge. The keyboard on the DX takes up a lot less space allowing for much more screen space.

With wireless turned off, the e-ink Kindles keep their charge for around 30 days.

LBISurfer2

quality posts: 1 Private Messages LBISurfer2

I own an Ipad and recently bought a black and white (gray) kindle for my mother and I have to say that reading on one of these is far superior to my Ipad.

roxannez

rafairfax wrote:I never use my 3g and you can buy a brand new kindle wireless for $79 at target best buy, etc. A refurb for $199? Come on woot (aka Amazon) are you friggin kidding me?!

Those are 6" screens and I don't think the $79 models at Target or Best Buy have 3G, only wi-fi.