liquidblue1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages liquidblue1

Does president Finn run the country from a jar like president Nixon in futurama? 900 years old!

worldwidewebfeet

quality posts: 33 Private Messages worldwidewebfeet
wsfurrie wrote:Interesting, Amazon's price is $139 for the same unit, new.

You might want to read better,you have your models mixed up. This is the DX model, Amazon is selling it for $379.

sunshine5864

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sunshine5864

$200 for a refurb? Not in this lifetime!

kennyminot

quality posts: 5 Private Messages kennyminot
mikecris wrote:Any opinions on how the web browser works with this model? It is pretty hard to read and use on the Kindle touch I have. Looks like both of those problems could be addressed with the larger screen and controls on thise model.

It's nice that the Kindle has a web browser, but it's never going to be a good experience, mainly because of the slow refresh rates of e-ink screens. Regardless of how they design the software, it will be slow and choppy to move through pages. If you want to use the interwebs, you just need a tablet. A Kindle is best for consuming print media - books, journal articles, newspapers, and other such things.

manjeetsc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages manjeetsc

is this graphite or just plain DX

Khanuja

shellietandarich

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shellietandarich

Not sure how this is a deal. Especially for a refurbished reader.

Lulabelle

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Lulabelle
kennyminot wrote:It's nice that the Kindle has a web browser, but it's never going to be a good experience, mainly because of the slow refresh rates of e-ink screens. Regardless of how they design the software, it will be slow and choppy to move through pages. If you want to use the interwebs, you just need a tablet. A Kindle is best for consuming print media - books, journal articles, newspapers, and other such things.

I'm considering this for reading textbooks for grad school (another poster who sounds like she's about my age/same age eyeballs posted that she really likes how easy it is on her eyes). Some of my textbooks have a lot of hyperlinks to video clips or case studies on the Web. What happens on a Kindle DX if you're reading a PDF and click a hyperlink? Does it show you what it's supposed to?

TattooGigolo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages TattooGigolo

If I didn't already have one I'd buy this (I still might). I love the eInk. The size works for me because I use it mostly to read Screenplays in PDF format.

administrator1956

quality posts: 1 Private Messages administrator1956
manjeetsc wrote:is this graphite or just plain DX

It says it has "Pearl" e-ink, so it cannot be the previous DX model.

ask me about ebook readers and guitars

administrator1956

Lulabelle wrote:What happens on a Kindle DX if you're reading a PDF and click a hyperlink? Does it show you what it's supposed to?

Again (don't know why people seem to ignore my comments): Kindle DXG is not the best out there for pdf reading. I know many users who experience lots of crashes when reading big pdf (100 or more MB, like every image-rich pdf).
For this someone installs the Duokan alternative firmware.
Others go with the Pocketbook Pro 902. Boox M91S has too many flaws, according to the reviews it receives.

Links to external web pages should work when you click 'em.

daleyshow

quality posts: 0 Private Messages daleyshow

ooooh, kindle again!

when does kindle.woot go live?

bagman3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bagman3

I purchased my DX from Woot before Christmas to supplement the 2 Kindle-3 WiFi's that my kids have.

I am quite pleased with the DX. It performs just like the others and I can download everything that's been purchased for the other ones through our Amazon "archive" account.

Some may complain about the increased weight of the DX, but I look at it as a great way to read AND work the biceps!

My only complaint is the lack of covers / sleeves available for it. Most are out of stock. Some suggest using a 10.2" tablet sleeve, but I like the look and feel of leather, so I will wait to find one of those in a portfolio style.

Agree 100% that this is not a replacement for a tablet or laptop or Ipad. Just like you wouldn't drive nails with a wrench, this is not a high-powered browser or gaming device.

It IS a great e-reader, and nothing surpasses its performance for what it was designed for!

administrator1956

glinness wrote:I have .
Are there any 3rd party vendors selling such a remote switch, either wireless or USB wired? Or any willing to have a go at it?

You would need something like the goold old unsurpassed Entourage edge (discontinued), via usb & Android you could find something like that.

sailsagain

quality posts: 3 Private Messages sailsagain
glinness wrote:I have a spine disability that makes it hard to turn pages on the Kindle. I would love a USB hand switch so I could leave the reader propped in the most convenient position while changing pages without moving my arm. I know it sounds a bit silly to most of you, but even holding a book in reading position takes a pain toll on me. I'd bet that a lot of people would like this for reading in bed, for instance.
Are there any 3rd party vendors selling such a remote switch, either wireless or USB wired? Or any willing to have a go at it?

I used my Kindle Keyboard 3G when recovering from an injury. During physical therapy I also found the page-turning to be a challenge. BUT I found my Kindle can be used for hands-free reading two different ways:
1. I turn on the text-to-speech feature, turn the volume all the way down, set the kindle on the book stand on the exercise machine, and watch it turn the pages for me. There are 3 reading speeds to choose from. While this may not be ideal (you will still need to reach up to pause it if you are interrupted), it is fun to see someone trying to decide whether or not you are using telekinesis to turn the pages... LOL
2. Use the text-to-speech with the speaker or earphones to just listen to the book. It does a decent job, not as monotone as you would think. I have only found 2 or 3 of my books (out of over 200 Kindle books) do not work with the text-to-speech feature. I have even loaded my own text documents, and the text-to-speech will read them out loud to me! I love it!
I also have an Audible subscription and can listen to those with my Kindle.

badhabit12

quality posts: 14 Private Messages badhabit12

I couldn't make up my mind whether I wanted a Kindle DX (e-reader) or the Kindle Fire (color).

So I went out and purchased a brand new "Entourage Edge" for $150.00. Now I have an e-reader on one side and a color tablet on the other.

Its to bad the company had to go out of business for me to get such a deal. But there are hundreds of hacks out there to modify every aspect of the operating system. Tons of on-board memory that can be expanded. Download your free e-reading books from Pirate Bay or Kickass Torrents and away you go.

Lulabelle

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Lulabelle
administrator1956 wrote:Again (don't know why people seem to ignore my comments):

Did not deliberately ignore. Did not see.

kmengleka

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kmengleka

The DX and the Fire are different devices. The DX is designed for reading - period, and it does it well. It is big and clunky, but that size helps when reading includes charts, graphs and detailed pictures.
Surprisingly no one has mentioned that you can surf the Net, check your email anywhere with a 3G Kindle. The process is slow and sometimes cumbersome, but it works. It has bailed me out while traveling on several occasions.
The Fire is a weak tablet with a great price. It is not a dedicated reader.

administrator1956

badhabit12 wrote:I couldn't make up my mind whether I wanted a Kindle DX (e-reader) or the Kindle Fire (color).

So I went out and purchased a brand new "Entourage Edge" for $150.00.

150?! New? Great.
I bought the Edge when the company was still alive @ 400 bucks (it originally went for over 500) and believe me guys, there's nothing like it.
For the ones who work on texts and do not only read them, it's the unsurpassed choice. Awesome, I love it and bought even the Pocket version to my fiancee.

Btw I woulnd't compare it to any recent android tablet, it does not sport not a true tablet. It's meant for working on texts, light browsing / media player.

bowlingb

quality posts: 19 Private Messages bowlingb
oncomouse wrote:Yes, but this is a Kindle DX with a screen almost the size of an iPad. New they're $379 still on Amazon. The larger screen really increases the price. But... who needs that giant screen?

Anyone that wants to store over 100 technical manuals on a single device and be able to read them without the reflow layout messing them up.

navyrican

quality posts: 0 Private Messages navyrican

Keep in mind that the kindle connects to your PC via a provided USB connector (which is also your charger)and is able to be opened up like a folder on your PC. The Kindle can read any file in TXT format and even use its text-to-speach function on them. So if you were to have a zillion books that you somehow (hopefully legally...gray area!) acquired you could just drop the books (as long as they are in TXT format) right into your kindle and there you go...you can have all the books you want.

Hudson_CM

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Hudson_CM

I purchased this during it's last appearance just before Christmas as a present to myself. I also own a Gen 1 iPad, Gen 2 13 inch MacBook Air, Iphone 4, Gen 2 7inch Kindle (3g) and the Fire.

Just as i had hoped, the DX has become my go to reader for sessions > 2 hours at home. Despite it's size, it is lighter than i thought it would be (lighter than my ipad), it is comfortable to hold sitting or laying down and the larger screen means more text and less page turning which makes it feel a bit more book-like. The newer e-ink is noticeably better than that of my 2nd gen Kindle, which will now be relegated to my traveling/outdoor kindle due to its smaller size.

3G on these devices is a must, i can't tell you how many times i've been browsing the books at the newstands in the airport and have simply popped open the kindle to make the purchase while sitting in the plane prior to takeoff...its very convenient.

My iPad is my primary couch/bed surfing device. Nothing compares to the smoothness of the iOS interface and Safari for a web surfing session. I'm also heavily invested in the Apple Appstore, so they kinda have me locked in.

When i need to be a little more productive on the couch, the Air comes out, instant on, super light, decent size screen and keyboard...nuff said.

The Kindle Fire....i consider it a toy currently and use it the least. I mostly bought it for the smaller form factor to take on trips so i can leave the ipad at home with the wife. The general interface is OK, the Silk browser is not nearly as smooth as Safari, i find my self having to tap links multiple times to get them to open, scrolling and tap to zoom doesn't work as well or as smooth as on the iPad, maybe in a future update...(i'm current with my updates, but its still got a ways to go). Current lack of apps annoys me a little...mostly the inability to get the CNBC realtime app, but this will change with time.

Folks say 'why not get the Fire at this price', Fire vs the DX....they are really 2 different devices imho. If you read books, get a regular Kindle, if you need a cheap tablet, the Fire is OK. Kindle readers are a joy to read on, the Fire, not so much. As a tablet, it's OK, but the Ipad is still the clear winner.

administrator1956

bagman3 wrote: nothing surpasses its performance for what it was designed for!

I do not agree, firmware-wise the Pocketbook pro 902 is more advanced. The DXG didn't receive upgrades from Amazon, I may be wrong but to me, they seem to be going to sell the remaining ones at discounted prices in a next future. There could be a newer 9,7" in the mext months.

bissettb

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bissettb

I bought one last week when Woot was selling these. I love the larger size--I've been using a smaller one for years.

However, the first one had a hardware issue. Kindle support did not consider that unit to be under warranty and I had to get a replacement from Woot. And they were great, sending me a replacement overnight. And Woot is trying to get kindle to recognize that this 2nd kindle is under warranty--as of yesterday kindle support says no, but I'm expecting to be contacted soon, hopefully.

I recommend if you buy one of these to verify your warranty with Kindle.

administrator1956

navyrican wrote:Keep in mind that the kindle connects to your PC via a provided USB connector (which is also your charger)and is able to be opened up like a folder on your PC. The Kindle can read any file in TXT format and even use its text-to-speach function on them.

Gosh, to me reading *.Txt in 2012 on a 9,7" device is difficult to accept.

BEWARE that
the file FORMATS all the Kindles can handle are the real hassle with these devices. The "Mobi" format (the only one Amazon sells you) is like an invisible prison, but if you get to know Epub (a format every other e-ink device will read), then Mobi will become a very poor choice to your eyes. Even from a typographic point of view. Text management on Mobi (very old format) is rudimental compared to Epub.

Btw you can buy Epubs outside Amazon and convert them to mobi with Calibre (freeware).

methos5000

quality posts: 1 Private Messages methos5000

I love my Kindle DX. I own an iPad and I've used a regular-sized Kindle. I much prefer the DX for reading. I wouldn't recommend it at $379 vs. the $79 that the cheaper Kindle sells for, but I'd definitely recommend it at $200.

The screen height is great. The width is a bit much for novels, but you can easily switch the margins to narrow.

I'm actually tempted to buy a second one in case mine ever breaks, because Amazon seems to be abandoning this screen size.

badhabit12

quality posts: 14 Private Messages badhabit12
administrator1956 wrote:150?! New? Great.
I bought the Edge when the company was still alive @ 400 bucks (it originally went for over 500) and believe me guys, there's nothing like it.
For the ones who work on texts and do not only read them, it's the unsurpassed choice. Awesome, I love it and bought even the Pocket version to my fiancee.

Btw I woulnd't compare it to any recent android tablet, it does not sport not a true tablet. It's meant for working on texts, light browsing / media player.

----------------------------------
What always confused me is why the company went belly up. Seems like a great idea to me. -The best of both worlds, an e-reader on one side and a Colored screen for surfing the web on the other.

muol

quality posts: 1 Private Messages muol

Huh, Kindle DX again? Just snatched one of these on woot a few days before Christmas. These refurbs seem to come directly from Amazon. Mine was in its original Kindle packaging with all original accessories (mainly the combined AC/USB charger) included. Screen and shell were flawless without any scratches just like new.

administrator1956

badhabit12 wrote:----------------------------------
What always confused me is why the company went belly up. Seems like a great idea to me. -The best of both worlds, an e-reader on one side and a Colored screen for surfing the web on the other.

Who bought the Edge for what it was and still is (the most advanced e-reader out ther) had to love it.

Why the company run of of business? My two cents:

1) How many people really need to work on texts with frequent annotations, links, TOCs management? The company's original target were schools, but the product was too complicated for the average student, so it did not work. Academics/college students are the perfect target, but the iPad took all the market with people not knowing the difference from e-ink and lcd.

2) They released the Pocket version and did some ads for it, it sold nicely, but it was not enough for the company to go further.

3) Overall look and feel: tyhe big Edge is too big and clunky in a world of fashion obsessed.

4) People who only READ books will be happier with simpler e-ink readers like the Sony T-1 or the Bookeen Cybook Odyssey.

I remember those days, it was from January 2010 that Entourage's crew started disappearing from the forums, all the Vet users which knew Entourage's previous Customer Support got wind of it. They released the Ermine 0,9 beta (Android 2.2) in the end of march, and after a month the company shut down.

stewball00

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stewball00

The price point on this one is crazy. Why would I buy this when I can get a NEW kindle fire for $200?

beebles

quality posts: 1 Private Messages beebles

Proceed with caution if you are thinking of getting one of these...

I ordered two. Separately. One of them has an issue with the text to speech where it just jumps ahead 20 pages every so often. Seems to be a problem for some users.

Worse. The second one I ordered was shipped snail mail (to a STREET address) and took until today to arrive. Out of the box it will not register with Amazon. I tried on the device and when I put in my name and password, it goes back to the registration screen and says "not registered." Wireless works, as I can get to the Kindle store on the device but I can't do anything else.

I went to Amazon's site on my PC and manually registered the Kindle there and the device still says "not registered" despite several restarts and resets to factory settings.

Refurbs indeed....

MeinLein

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MeinLein
stewball00 wrote:The price point on this one is crazy. Why would I buy this when I can get a NEW kindle fire for $200?

Why would I buy these apples when I could buy oranges for the same price?

MeinLein

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MeinLein

I have one of these, and I would like to reiterate the comments of others.

This is great for reading PDFs, when compared to the smaller screen devices. I use it for technical documentation and text books.

This is not a gaming device, it is not a multimedia device, and it is not meant to be stuffed in your pocket or purse.

For what it is, this is a very good price, and a solid product.

administrator1956

stewball00 wrote:The price point on this one is crazy. Why would I buy this when I can get a NEW kindle fire for $200?

Why would you want to read books on a device (the Fire) which is not meant to let your eyes do that?

E-ink screen is for reading. Hours. Without getting tired, like if itwas paper.

Back-lighted screens (all of them) will tire your eyes. That's all. You can't compare two completely different devices.

I agree on one thing: Amazon first tells you the correct thing "To read, you need e-ink screen". Then, seeing that many people continue to name "ereaders" all the tablets , it puts out the Fire and tells you can read on it. Not coherent.

lynnie20007

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lynnie20007

I have had the Kindle with Free 3G since last April and I love it! Kindle books are much less expensive than buying a hard cover or even a paperback in most cases. Lots are free or $1.99. Amazon now has a program that if you are enrolled in the Prime program (I had it already to get free shipping) you can also borrow e-books for free and return them when you are finished. I have about 60 books on mine now and can send them to Kindle storage when I am done with them. I can always get them back if I want them again. Neatest little thing! I also bought a little red leather case for it that stands it up so I can read at a table, hands free. You just click a button to turn the page. I am happy that I can make the print as large as I want for easier reading. I love, love, love my Kindle. (No I don't work for Amazon. I am a retired office manager and musician.)

lynnie20007

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lynnie20007
lynnie20007 wrote:I have had the Kindle with Free 3G (no, not the one with the internet connection -- just the one where you can download books anywhere) since last April and I love it! Kindle books are much less expensive than buying a hard cover or even a paperback in most cases. Lots are free or $1.99. Amazon now has a program that if you are enrolled in the Prime program (I had it already to get free shipping) you can also borrow e-books for free and return them when you are finished. I have about 60 books on mine now and can send them to Kindle storage when I am done with them. I can always get them back if I want them again. Neatest little thing! I also bought a little red leather case for it that stands it up so I can read at a table, hands free. You just click a button to turn the page. I am happy that I can make the print as large as I want for easier reading. I love, love, love my Kindle. (No I don't work for Amazon. I am a retired office manager and musician.)

ivyprof

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ivyprof

Amazon OWNS woot

cherman1

quality posts: 4 Private Messages cherman1

Something has to be coming down the pike for Woot to sell this again so quickly.

If it didn't sell out with next day shipping on 12/23 - Why put it out again so soon unless another model is about to be announced.

mschauber

quality posts: 40 Private Messages mschauber

Do they still charge for emailing your own PDFs to the Kindle DX for viewing?

--
Hey you, out there in the cold; Getting lonely, getting old; Can you feel me? - Pink Floyd/Roger Waters
My CT

sailsagain

quality posts: 3 Private Messages sailsagain
mschauber wrote:Do they still charge for emailing your own PDFs to the Kindle DX for viewing?

I've never been charged. Do you use your USB?. Or are you having them convert them into a different format and email to your Kindle? I just use the drag and drop with my USB and have not had any issues.

bissettb

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bissettb
mschauber wrote:Do they still charge for emailing your own PDFs to the Kindle DX for viewing?

I'm not sure about the charge for emailing them, but probably yes.

But it is free to just copy pdf files using the USB cable. I copied a bunch of work files this way and the DX is a great pdf reader.