quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: Diet Soda?
  • 23% - Dangerous! 490
  • 37.2% - Gross! 791
  • 19.7% - At least it doesn’t make me fat! 419
  • 20.1% - LOVE IT! CAN’T LIVE WITHOUT IT! 427
2127 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

*Kudzu*

quality posts: 2 Private Messages *Kudzu*

artificial sweeteners give me terrible headaches...plus they taste like ass

TurboFool

quality posts: 1 Private Messages TurboFool

I stopped hating them for the risks (I've had to admit the research has disproved all that I held against them), but I still can't stand the aftertaste.

jsvend

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jsvend

it really is dangerous.
and it tastes like ass.

yuck!

edit:
if you have to drink "diet," you're too fat. or you have an issue digesting sugar, in which case you should not be drinking diet ANYWAY.

do not drink diet. cut out soda 100% from your diet and be 100% happier. it took about 6 months for me, but after that, I haven't had a soda for probably 3 years now. I do not miss it whatsoever. Anything else is healthier for you than chemicals - candy bars, an entire tablespoon (or 6) of pure cane sugar, half a cake, etc. Soda/DietSoda is the devil. Cut that ONE THING and everything else will fall into place, I guarantee it.

trixierix

quality posts: 1 Private Messages trixierix

Diet food is gross. End of.

I really believe that no food can make you fat unless you're lazy. I've found that if I exercise regularly I can eat whatever I want in moderation.

psm321

quality posts: 20 Private Messages psm321

What's "soda"? Why would I want a diet version of a powder used for baking?

On the off-chance you're talking about pop, I've been drinking a lot of Diet Dr. Pepper lately. But I'm one of those apparently rare people who can't tell the difference between diet and regular pop. (Also, can't tell sugar vs. HFCS)

seahokedrama

quality posts: 30 Private Messages seahokedrama

I don't drink that much soda anymore... used to. Still probably more than I should since even one isn't good for you.

However, I've been drinking just the diet stuff for so long now- I can't stand non-diet soda. Non-diet just tastes too sweet to me- yuck!

As for the comment only fat people drink diet soda- that's nonsense- I'm not fat- I'm right where I need to be. (I used to be fat... at one point I was 1lb away from being officially obese- that freaked me out so I disciplined myself and lost 45lbs in 6 months)

Some diet soda is better than others. Coca Cola makes nasty diet drinks. Pepsi and Dr. Pepper make the best.

BTW- if you drink a soda a day- switching from regular to diet will drop 20lbs (from the average person) over the course of a year... assuming you don't turn around and start consuming calories elsewhere.

Studies have shown that fake sweetners may actually make your body crave sweets more- so your diet soda may make you more tempted to eat a donut (400calories)- so you may eat more junk and gain weight instead of lose it by switching to diet soda... depends how good your will power is.

fuzzypeaches

quality posts: 10 Private Messages fuzzypeaches

I'd rather drink water & do. Occasionally I'll have a regular soda (once or twice a week). I just can't stand the way they taste. Too fake & overly sweet.

10 quality post! Whoo hoo! I'M SOMEBODY!!!

seahokedrama

quality posts: 30 Private Messages seahokedrama
trixierix wrote:I really believe that no food can make you fat unless you're lazy. I've found that if I exercise regularly I can eat whatever I want in moderation.

That was me until I turned 30. No matter how much I ate- I stayed the same weight.

It changed- I've always been active- but after turning 30 I gained weight quickly (strange how the body knows you're not 29 anymore).

I get about 6-7 hrs of heavy exercise a week (and some extra light exercise too when playing with kids)- but even with that- if I don't watch what I eat- I do start to gain weight back.

It takes healthy food as well as just exercise. When I was in my 20s I thought like you did... but I was wrong.

sebitron

quality posts: 4 Private Messages sebitron

I drink diet because it's slightly easier on my teeth, growing up I used to get cavities pretty regularly, my dentist told me to switch to diet. I did, and it made a pretty significant difference.

As an adult I've not been much of a soda drinker, but the occasional diet Dr. Pepper won't kill me. All things in moderation.

seahokedrama wrote:Some diet soda is better than others. Coca Cola makes nasty diet drinks. Pepsi and Dr. Pepper make the best.

Definitely agree, diet coke is a lot more harsh and acidic tasting than diet Dr. Pepper or diet Pepsi, though still preferable to high fructose corn syrup in my opinion.

mkerdmann

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mkerdmann

I usually don't drink diet. Coke Zero for me, please! And I still only drink those once every few weeks.

yonian

quality posts: 2 Private Messages yonian

When I was first married (many years ago) I got good and thirsty from mowing my mother-in-law's huge lawn. My new wife was sitting in the shade with a delicious looking glass of iced sodie-pop. I asked if she minded sharing and she lovingly said "you can have it all".

So I gulped down a goodly amount of what tasted to me like insecticide. She's a wonderful woman but she's willing to drink some pretty horrible beverages as long as they claim to be "diet".

She tells me that diet drinks aren't quite so awful these days but my first experience was so traumatic that I'm not willing to drink another one ever.

mrsque

quality posts: 5 Private Messages mrsque

I used to drink diet Dr. Pepper. It was pretty good. I've pretty much eliminated most sodas from my diet except for Sierra Mist which claims to be all-natural and the natural sodas you find at Whole Foods...esp the natural ginger ale and root beer...I can drink diet Sierra Mist, too, if there's nothing else available...

which reminds...I stopped by Sonic last weekend during their "Happy Hour" and ordered a "diet cranberry limeade". She said, sure, we have diet Sprite! why had I not realized that stuff was made with SPRITE?! anyway... :/

*I* have FIVE Quality Posts! no, seriously...how did that happen?!

motospyder

quality posts: 16 Private Messages motospyder

I may have one regular Coke a year, if that. I drink lots of water and some ice tea. I live in the desert and spend much of my time outdoors throughout the year. If you don't drink LOTS of water (or Gatorade for the electrolites), dehydration will getcha and you won't like it.

What is so bad about diet drinks?

Amblyopia

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Amblyopia

I think diet drinks are dangerous and nasty... not as dangerous as the hype years ago, but still not a safe alternative to harmless sugar...

these days I only drink "soda pop" in my rum and coke at the bar... otherwise I might have a Dr Pepper once every couple months or so...

I usually just drink water...

--Amblyopia

klozitshoper

quality posts: 2 Private Messages klozitshoper
seahokedrama wrote:That was me until I turned 30. No matter how much I ate- I stayed the same weight.

It changed- I've always been active- but after turning 30 I gained weight quickly (strange how the body knows you're not 29 anymore).

I get about 6-7 hrs of heavy exercise a week (and some extra light exercise too when playing with kids)- but even with that- if I don't watch what I eat- I do start to gain weight back.

It takes healthy food as well as just exercise. When I was in my 20s I thought like you did... but I was wrong.

Ditto 40, 50 and 60!! It is genetic I swear. Why two Burmese cats - both eat the same thing, one fat, one skinny. Different varieties of the breed! Having said that, fat one just died, and skinny one lives on. Age and genetics for me for sure. Never gained weight until I hit 45. Did not really pay attention until - ut oh, gotta really go on a diet, and the weight does not fall off.

skievlan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages skievlan

Not to get all health-nutty on Woot, but... I used to drink diet Dr Pepper because it didn't taste as sweet as regular, and I would chew gum constantly. Both have aspartame in them. I also had seizures constantly, sometimes as many as 40 a day. (NOT the convulsive kind, absence seizures) My doctor said that I had epilepsy, which means that I would keep having them forever and he also said that medication would likely have little or no effect. One day I found out that aspartame may cause seizures. I stopped eating any form of the stuff. I didn't see a difference right away and was a little disappointed but I stuck with it and within 2 months, my seizures were completely gone and have been for 4 years now. I'm saying this here because seizures can take lives, not just your own but others, if you're driving, etc. MSG also is an excitotoxin and can cause seizures for the same reason aspartame does, it's just not as strong.

theracoon

quality posts: 1 Private Messages theracoon

I don't drink soda (or "pop") at all anymore.
Regular soda has way too much sugar, and the chemicals in diet soda aren't something I want in my body.

Water, milk, coffee (cream only, no sweetener), and tea (unsweetened) are what I drink.

JM2C

PocketBrain

quality posts: 44 Private Messages PocketBrain

Coke Zero for the win. I stopped drinking sugar-added drinks ten years ago.

evasheva

quality posts: 1 Private Messages evasheva

It's great if you like drinking insecticide.

"Aspartame accounts for over 75 percent of the adverse reactions to food additives reported to the FDA. Many of these reactions are very serious including seizures and death. A few of the 90 different documented symptoms listed in the report as being caused by aspartame include: Headaches/migraines, dizziness, seizures, nausea, numbness, muscle spasms, weight gain, rashes, depression, fatigue, irritability, tachycardia, insomnia, vision problems, hearing loss, heart palpitations, breathing difficulties, anxiety attacks, slurred speech, loss of taste, tinnitus, vertigo, memory loss, and joint pain."

articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/11/06/aspartame-most-dangerous-substance-added-to-food.aspx

articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/08/03/just-how-bad-is-aspartame.aspx

ThatPoshGirl

quality posts: 32 Private Messages ThatPoshGirl

I used to be a diet soda addict. True, honest addict. I would drink a case of Diet Coke every day. I finally quit about six months ago. It was harder than when I quit smoking. I was in physical pain for days. Headaches, stomach cramps, etc. I started drinking ice tea with stevia just to get through it, then quit that too. Now I drink an occasional Sierra Mist, but I want to quit even that.

lwilso11

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lwilso11

It's all that wonderful high fructose corn syrup they put in regular soda, blah.

seahokedrama wrote:I don't drink that much soda anymore... used to. Still probably more than I should since even one isn't good for you.

However, I've been drinking just the diet stuff for so long now- I can't stand non-diet soda. Non-diet just tastes too sweet to me- yuck!

As for the comment only fat people drink diet soda- that's nonsense- I'm not fat- I'm right where I need to be. (I used to be fat... at one point I was 1lb away from being officially obese- that freaked me out so I disciplined myself and lost 45lbs in 6 months)

Some diet soda is better than others. Coca Cola makes nasty diet drinks. Pepsi and Dr. Pepper make the best.

BTW- if you drink a soda a day- switching from regular to diet will drop 20lbs (from the average person) over the course of a year... assuming you don't turn around and start consuming calories elsewhere.

Studies have shown that fake sweetners may actually make your body crave sweets more- so your diet soda may make you more tempted to eat a donut (400calories)- so you may eat more junk and gain weight instead of lose it by switching to diet soda... depends how good your will power is.

Slydon

quality posts: 17 Private Messages Slydon

Staff

psm321 wrote:What's "soda"? Why would I want a diet version of a powder used for baking?

On the off-chance you're talking about pop...

dead to me

Hi, I'm one of the writers. My powers are limited but I'll do what I can.

tleec3526

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tleec3526

I think some of the earlier comments didn't go far enough...it doesn't taste like ass it tastes like freeze dried, spoiled and reheated ass

SirUlrich

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SirUlrich
*Kudzu* wrote:artificial sweeteners give me terrible headaches...plus they taste like ass

Artificial AND Splenda, even as little a sip, mint or stick of gum give me headaches! The more I have the worse they get!

Allergic? or is it a natural offensive reaction to the damaging effects?

Tim

"There are times when silence is golden; other times, is it just plain yellow."
--Edwin Louis Cole

corlickmark

quality posts: 0 Private Messages corlickmark

difinitely dangerous. it is better to drink water than any kind of soft drink.