Jason Toon

quality posts: 19 Private Messages Jason Toon

I hadn't been on the convention floor at the 2012 Consumer Electronics Show for an hour before I encountered these three examples of the most tired naming strategy of our time: the infamous lowercase i.

By the end of the day, I could have collected at least half a dozen more, but I didn't want to belabor the point. You get the idea.

Please, people. You're better than this. The iPrefix was worn out years ago. Even if it wasn't Apple's common-law wife at this point, it just rings corny nowadays. Nothing sounds more dated than something that's trying too hard to sound cutting-edge.

It's time to kick away that crutch and walk on your own name. OK, OK, my metaphor's stumbling but the truth keeps marching on: small-i names are for small thinkers.

Of course, it's possible that the iThing is so old now, it's retro. Maybe the people behind these companies are sneering at me for not getting it. If so, carry on baffling and irritating old guys like me. Such is the way of the world.

But if not, if you think a lowercase-i name is still the very model of a modern cyber-moniker, take a word of well-intentioned advice: that "i" is making you look kind of goofy. Consider another angle for the name of your product or company.

And no, it shouldn't involve "cyber", either.

Cast your i's over our CES 2012 coverage all week on the Woot blog. Or hey… maybe we could call it the Woot iBlog. Just an idea.

Orcrist42

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Orcrist42

What!? When did the eXtremely cool X finally go,out of style? Ugh, good riddance. Agree on the iThing though, I never really liked it even when apple used it. Now it just seems cliche. Maybe people think it is proper tech grammar now, like they would look dumb if they didn't use it.

AbEnd

quality posts: 4 Private Messages AbEnd

Punctuation marks are the thing!!!!!!!!

Olphart

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Olphart

iAgree. The iThing, like texting abbreviations (LOL,Oh My Gookie! etc.) in contemporary journalism, is well overdone. iToo, think it's time for this fad to fade.

WilfBrim

quality posts: 18 Private Messages WilfBrim

I always wonder if all those i[whatever] shouldn't add:

i think you are going to get sued by the small army of iLawyers in Cupertino for using their percived tradmark on the letter i.

klozitshoper

quality posts: 2 Private Messages klozitshoper

Will start using the generic, all-inclusive "we" instead, thus bringing no attention to self. We agree.

roeszler

quality posts: 0 Private Messages roeszler
klozitshoper wrote:Will start using the generic, all-inclusive "we" instead, thus bringing no attention to self. We agree.

Don't you mean "wii"? :3

tsrblke

quality posts: 4 Private Messages tsrblke

Clearly everone needs to jump on the "e" train, since that's back in to replace "i". epaper, eink, ebook....

bsmith1

quality posts: 111 Private Messages bsmith1
tsrblke wrote:Clearly everone needs to jump on the "e" train, since that's back in to replace "i". epaper, eink, ebook....

At least 'e' makes sense; it stands for electronic.
email = electronic mail
ebook = electronic book
What does 'i' stand for? Internet? Information?

Alessar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Alessar
bsmith1 wrote:At least 'e' makes sense; it stands for electronic.
email = electronic mail
ebook = electronic book
What does 'i' stand for? Internet? Information?

I remember a few years ago "a" was all the rage, in an attempt to give things a vaguely-European-sounding name. Aptiva, Optima, Bravia, etc.

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5

Of course, the new trend is "u".
e.g. uKidding, uDork, uMad?

I have a shirt catalog, y'all!