Jason Toon

quality posts: 19 Private Messages Jason Toon

When I was a know-it-all teenage punk, I thought the '70s was music's lowest point, a tacky, lifeless Dark Age of audio macrame. Now I think the '70s produced as many vital, thrilling records as any decade save perhaps the '60s. But wherever on that spectrum you lie, nobody can deny that the era - post-'60s, pre-CD - was the heyday of the art of the album cover.

These eight covers may not be the most iconic, or the most beautiful, and certainly not the biggest-selling '70s albums. But together they represent the range and artistry of that decade's embarrassment of album-cover riches. How many of them can you name?

Answers can be found by clicking here. Please post your answers, or arguments, below! But know this: the Trivial Eye is presented for public amusement and no prizes are offered other than that familiar feeling of aggravation that so much of your mind is occupied by useless trivia.

Slydon

quality posts: 18 Private Messages Slydon

Staff

I can't believe I missed the first one!

Hi, I'm one of the writers. My powers are limited but I'll do what I can.

umukk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages umukk

Ok, didn't know all the album names, but excepting #7, got all the artists. Should have gotten them all. Thanks for the pleasant waste of time.

redspecial

quality posts: 5 Private Messages redspecial

I got seven of eight of the artists, didn't remember all of the album names. I should have gotten Sabbath's "Paranoid". I guess I need to spend some time with my album collection. Seventies album covers rock! They remind me of countless hours spent at my local Tower Records, flipping through the bins, counting the days until I was old enough to work there. Good times . . .

craigthom

quality posts: 64 Private Messages craigthom

I own four of them, so they were easy. I recognized the Kiss one as being from them, of course, but I am not that familiar with their oeuvre.

(I'm mostly posting because I wanted to use "Kiss" and "oeuvre" in the same sentence.)