Jason Toon

quality posts: 19 Private Messages Jason Toon

3D printing isn't new, Matthew Griffin of MakerBot Industries was careful to point out when we talked to him at CES. It's just always been really expensive. What's unique about MakerBot's new 3D printer, The Replicator, is that it's the first 3D printer that retails for under $2,000 and does two-color printing.

At least we think that's what he said. We were too busy thinking HOLY CRAP THAT THING IS TOTALLY MAKING THAT OTHER THING! Matt needn't have been so modest. Bringing a tiny little factory within financial reach of every inventor, toy designer, artist, certainly qualifies as "new" in our book. Doing it under a Star Trek-inspired name is gravy. Here he is talking about The Replicator on the show floor. Warning: holy-crap-ness ahead.

Our CES 2012
coverage takes shape all week, but we'll level with you: you probably won't see anything else this cool.

bsmith1

quality posts: 102 Private Messages bsmith1

Does it have voice recognition?

Edited: Orig

PxT

quality posts: 1 Private Messages PxT

Makerbot is awesome and deserves all the credit it has earned, but $2k is still a lot of money and not affordable for most people.

When printrbot ships at $550 (or $500 if you got in on the kickstarter) we're going to see an explosion of activity in 3D printing.

Also, I love a good Picard meme as much as the next guy, but "earle", really? Everyone knows it was invented by the My Name Is Earl guy and therefore is spelled "earl".

bsmith1

quality posts: 102 Private Messages bsmith1
PxT wrote:...

Also, I love a good Picard meme as much as the next guy, but "earle", really? Everyone knows it was invented by the My Name Is Earl guy and therefore is spelled "earl".

Fixed.

pomodesign

quality posts: 2 Private Messages pomodesign

Dang it! I just bought and am assembling the previous version, the Thing-o-matic. Oh, well. Good to get the learning curve out of t he way on an $1100 device, I suppose. Plus they're not shipping the Replicator for at least 6 weeks.

andrewupandabout

quality posts: 0 Private Messages andrewupandabout

Bought one in March and loving my Replicator.

Making lots of youtube videos while I learn on it.

Andrew
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeD2ySdbvyw&feature=channel&list=UL