WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Relax, I'm not here to actually DEFEND cyber-bullying; it's everyone's favorite cause du jour. But I am wondering where the line is between "bullying" and "simply issuing a warning" since I heard about Synyster Ink Tattoo...

And no, I'm not gonna post photos of his tattoos because they're his and I don't have permission. Also, they're gross.

See, Synyster Ink Tattoo is, near as I can tell, just a dude in Green Bay trying to make it as a tattoo artist. Unfortunately he's not quite at the "Sailor Jerry" level of fame and seems to currently be mired in the "Giving Free, Terrible Tattoos to Friends So I Can Learn How To Do This" stage of his career. Then I Heart Chaos (link is safe, but the site has NSFW content and tends to look bad on your browsing history to corporate types), picked up on his Facebook page and asked a simple question: "Is this man the worst professional tattoo artist ever?"

Naturally, as people do when provided the cloak of anonymity the internet offers, almost everyone who read the article immediately took to Synyster's Facebook page to let him know just how much he sucks and how terrible a human being he is for daring to be bad at something and having such information leak out into the public where everyone else who is perfect at everything can mercilessly ridicule him. I'm not saying I would want one of his tattoos, I'm not going to defend the tattoos at all. I agree that they're terrible. But everyone starts somewhere, right? If this was just some kid posting pictures of his art and scores of internet gestapo slammed his Facebook page to let him know how much he sucks, wouldn't all the "Stop Cyber-Bullying!" activists have a fit?

So is it okay to bully a guy when he's legitimately bad at his job? You could argue that it's a public service announcement keeping people away from this disreputable shop with poor artistry, but anyone dumb or drunk enough to walk into a guy's filthy house (check out the winged tramp stamp photo and notice the grease-soaked paper plate on the floor) and get stabbed with a needle for an hour is getting what they deserve. So let the people with no impulse control brand themselves with terrible tattoos to make them more easily-avoidable in society, right?

What do you think? Does Synyster Ink have the right to practice his craft on anyone who'll let him without harassment? Or is there something to be said for crushing someone's dream when it's obviously futile?

dilbertdogbert

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dilbertdogbert

Sailor Jerry...... mmmm..... best rum on the market!

Screaming Mini Monkey Keychain with Woot Cape 1/17/12
Screaming Mini Monkey Keychain with Woot Cape 12/5/11
Screaming Monkey with Woot Cape 11/8/11
Screaming Mini Monkey Keychain with Woot Cape 10/12/11
Screaming Giant Monkey w/Green Cape 5/10/11

Triggersling

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Triggersling

The price of free is too high for those tatoos.

Tiamat114

quality posts: 48 Private Messages Tiamat114

I think that's the biggest problem of the internet today. People think they have a right to say anything they want and put people down because they are cloaked in anonymity. They don't have to look that person in the eye, and they don't have to face any repercussions, so that seems to make it o.k.

It seems more and more to me every day that people lose sight of basic human kindness, and forget how to censor themselves. They don't keep the thoughts that are best left as just that, thoughts, on the inside and let them spew forth like a vile font of rancid sewage in written words for all the world to see. I just don't understand it. I agree that I would not get a tattoo from this individual, but I don't need to go so far as to harass and demean and insult him for doing what he does. It's none of my business, and I will likely never see or meet this person in the real world so it's none of my business what he does.

Age shouldn't matter, bullying is still bullying at any age, and those people posting on his Facebook page should be ashamed of themselves. I know they aren't, because to go so low as to do what they are doing means they have no common sense, or basic human decency, or any respect for others for that matter. It's overall disgusting.

I know I kind of rambled on there and it's not as clear and coherent as I was hoping for, but the bottom line is this (profanity): http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/3/19/

Sums it up fairly well I think.

edit: I'm no better than anyone else since I posted this, so shame on me for taking the bait. I couldn't seem to resist though and apologize if I offended someone.

xandersherry

quality posts: 0 Private Messages xandersherry

+1 to what Tiamat114 said.

If you wouldn't put your name to it, and you wouldn't say it to someone's face, you shouldn't be putting it in a comment on the Internet. That won't eliminate cyber-bullying, (there are bullies and jerks in the real world as well, after all) but it would certainly make the digital world a more civilized place.

No, it's not ever justified to hide behind anonymity as a coward and jeer. It's absolutely all right to tell someone that you think they're terrible at their job and they might ought to try their hand at something else, but it should be done openly and with respect.

Slydon

quality posts: 18 Private Messages Slydon

Staff

Tiamat114 wrote:edit: I'm no better than anyone else since I posted this, so shame on me for taking the bait. I couldn't seem to resist though and apologize if I offended someone.

In my mind there's a HUGE difference between someone who answers a "What do you think" question, as you just did, and someone who runs into a thread and posts LOL SUXZ N U FAT and never comes back again. We've got to communicate in life and we're not all going to agree, but there's a clear difference between explaining what you don't like and just plain trolling.

Hi, I'm one of the writers. My powers are limited but I'll do what I can.

llandar

quality posts: 32 Private Messages llandar
Tiamat114 wrote:
edit: I'm no better than anyone else since I posted this, so shame on me for taking the bait. I couldn't seem to resist though and apologize if I offended someone.

I don't think you "took the bait." I was asking for comments on the act of bashing the guy on Facebook, not his art skills. I thought your comment was well-thought-out and it's one I agree with.

If this were a narf teenager's online art book and the sketches all looked like that and people were bashing him just as mercilessly he'd become a martyr for equality, shouted from the rooftops of Huffington Post and Dan Savage's column (and I say that as a bleeding-heart flaming liberal).

The real downside of internet culture is that it's too easy to fire off a missive with little to no thought about how much someone or something someone made sucks and is the worst thing ever (and I am fully admitting my own guilt in this behavior) because you'll never see that person read your words and react to them, you'll never have to deal with the emotional fallout you may inflict, and if someone DOES call you on it you'll just delete your screen name and start over.

The online circles I run in love to tout themselves as enlightened, emotionally solid, "got it all figured out" types and yet they have no problem posting on that guy's wall that he should just kill himself rather than keep trying to learn how to tattoo. That's the thing I wanted to draw attention to more than his tattoo artistry.

annieflies

quality posts: 12 Private Messages annieflies
llandar wrote: (and I say that as a bleeding-heart flaming liberal)

Are you sure about that? You seem to be espousing the free-market solution to this supposed problem. Ohhh, I see, you are crazy like the fox... Let the market decide his fate, and when he gets sued by some mouth breather for contracting hepatitis in his 'shop', he can declare bankruptcy and go on government assistance. Clever. You had me going for a minute there!

oops, pardon me, i wooted

llandar

quality posts: 32 Private Messages llandar
annieflies wrote:Are you sure about that? You seem to be espousing the free-market solution to this supposed problem. Ohhh, I see, you are crazy like the fox... Let the market decide his fate, and when he gets sued by some mouth breather for contracting hepatitis in his 'shop', he can declare bankruptcy and go on government assistance. Clever. You had me going for a minute there!

If he's not using sterile equipment (and we don't know for sure, but it's safe to say from the pictures that the shop isn't sterile) then the government SHOULD step in and shut him down.

He just doesn't need the internet dog piling on him calling him Ok, I love you, buh-bye! and telling him to kill himself, too.

geekypanda13

quality posts: 4 Private Messages geekypanda13

I think if the people are stupid enough to see his "art" and allow him to do it to them, then they deserve the scribble art that they get. But I do think that if you want to be decent and say, "hey, practice on fake items and learn to draw better before tattooing someone." I think it is legitimate and not a troll thing to do. But his images show people what he does, and they still want it. So you simply cannot change stupid.

Please support my husband's wootwatcher that he programmed. He is Active Duty Air Force and in college for programming. He made this because I couldn't find a woot watcher that was simple, and searched keywords. So he made it for us to use, but you will love it! Also Mobile Friendly now! with super refresh times!
~Thank you for your support!~
http://simplewootwatcher.com/

d3fianc3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages d3fianc3

No, he doesn't have a right - legally or ethically - to create a public health hazard. If he was certified in bloodborne pathogens and performing these tattoos in an environment that satisfied the guidelines set forth therein, that would be a different story, but that is not the case. Sure, everyone starts somewhere, but that "somewhere" is paper, followed by an orange, pig skin, and so forth. At the very least, however, he needs to satisfy the legal requirements of tattooing.