Groxx

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Groxx
GreasyCoffee wrote:Uh...

Am I to guess that the weight of THREE AA BATTERIES is going to hang around my earlobe???????

Dont think so...

Earlobe? Where in hell did you get that idea from?
It's a LANYARD. They go around your NECK.

Tralornik

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Tralornik
adpankow wrote:$31.64 @ Amazon.

Even Amazon can't sell them (no reviews).

I have "2-mile" radio and they can't even work within the stretch of your average mall.

Better off getting "7-mile" units and then you may REALLY get a full ONE mile out of them.

One thing worth noting...If the VOX is REALLY sensitive (longshot) then they will work good as an emergency baby monitor. Just turn one on VOX and place next to baby...when they scream...it will transmit. Though for $14.99 a pair, I am seriously doubting the VOX sensitivity....

hayanyujah847

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hayanyujah847

These will be good for Black Friday shopping with my sis when we go crazy style around stores :)

round1about

quality posts: 0 Private Messages round1about

I can't believe that there are people so untravelled that they cannot imagine ever being out of range of a cell tower.

merkelct

quality posts: 0 Private Messages merkelct

do you get 2 or 4

sparkalina

quality posts: 2 Private Messages sparkalina

People are asking what the heck are these for...being obsolete and all.

I bought a pair and plan to give one to my elderly aunt who has arthritic hands.

In the middle of the night if something happens and she can't dial anything...911 or what have you, this is our back up plan. One button push to talk. Hopefully the batteries will last a long time.

Both of us live a block or so away from each other and use pay per minute phones. This is way cheaper than pulling out the cell.

And if that doesn't work, I'm giving them to my little 6 year old cousin as a toy.

frainstorm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages frainstorm

Alright, somebody talk me into these. I wanna buy 'em, but I can't figure out why since my wife and I already have cell phones with free mobile to mobile. Is there any rationale for these? I'll accept about any justification you can think of.

Thanks in advance!
John

RbZomb5

quality posts: 0 Private Messages RbZomb5
frainstorm wrote:Alright, somebody talk me into these. I wanna buy 'em, but I can't figure out why since my wife and I already have cell phones with free mobile to mobile. Is there any rationale for these? I'll accept about any justification you can think of.

Thanks in advance!
John

I liked these when we moved from NY to VA, they weren't these radios, but they were two ways. The trailer blew a tire and we didn't know because of the 39 foot uhaul we had, my mom and sister were in the car behind us and were able to tell us right away, and not have to go through the whole cell phone deal. Plus, it saves minutes and can be used out of cellphone range, (like in the maine woods!).

The end.

hogleg

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hogleg

BTW, it's not legal here in Iowa, but in states where you can use radios while hunting, this is not too shabby. I wouldn't be an idiot and wear one out (without headphones, if that option is availible) but driving around sections and trying to coordinate is a whole lot easier with radios.

If it's legal, that is.

codexile

quality posts: 0 Private Messages codexile
Brambey wrote:This would be cool for paintball :)

I wonder how easy they'd be to mod into a helmet.

scormack

quality posts: 0 Private Messages scormack

I think they will be perfect for the kids. I like the fact that they hang around there necks. My liitle one always drops the expensive ones I bought so I think these should work great. I like knowing where my kids are at all times. Thanks Woot great deal. Amazon has them for 33.00

tj willy

quality posts: 6 Private Messages tj willy

Best price I have found is on buy.com: $23

HERE .

I am in for at least two. Great christmas gifts.

250+ Woot items, 10 Big ol' Cornucopia#39;s, 7 shirts, 4 wines...

krockls1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages krockls1

These are (edit)wicked. I bought 4 (why not) for use on my boat, or during road trips. 2 mile range isn't stellar but for $7.50 each? Come on people, what do you expect?

kristalipe

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kristalipe
jstutman wrote:
BTW GMRS requires a FCC license, Cost is $75.
$50 application. $25 for 5 year license.

If you dont have license, fine is $10,000 for first offense.

Just a clarification - you can use these radios without the license, but only on the first 14 channels. If you use the GMRS channels (above 14) You DO need the FCC licence.

The point of using the GMRS is to be able to use more power than allowed on the Family Radio in order to talk over a greater distance. These don't seem to have any extra power on GMRS, so why bother?

The voice activation and neck loop are nice. I love my two way radios - use them all the time to keep track of the kids.

pmak

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pmak

ah jeeze my 4 yr old and i will have a blast with these... if you need more get a nextel.

Go ahead delete my comment...
do you feel lucky
well do ya

exsive

quality posts: 1 Private Messages exsive

A couple things...

First off, range... yeah, most FRS (Family Radio Service) 2-ways have an ideal range of up to 2 miles (like over water, no obstructions). But what isn't mentioned here is that the GMRS (Ground Mobile Radio Service) channels usually have a range of between 5 and 10 miles, depending on model. I wonder if Woot left that info out... I know the radios I have (Midland FRS/GMRS are such the case)....

Second, regarding the privacy channels... Most people have the wrong idea of them. Most think that if you select (for example) channel four and privacy channel 20, that no one else on channel four can hear you unless they have the same privacy channel. Not true.

If someone has selected a different privacy channel (like 1-23, but not 4) they won't hear your transmissions.... But.... if anyone is on channel 4 and DOESN'T select a privacy channel (like my Midlands have the option) or they hit the "Monitor" button, they will hear everything on Channel 4, no matter what privacy channel is selected....

Bottom line, Privacy channels are for convenience only, not for security. Also, if two people are on the same channels, but using different privacy codes (like 2 seperate groups at the same amusement park). If they are transmitting at the same time, they will still interfere w/ eachother, even though they are on different privacy codes...

Hope it helps...

Wooter since 9/2/05... Memorex Firewire DVD,Toshiba Opt Mouse,Adaptec Firewire,QuickcamSTX,NetGear 802.11g USB,Logitech Desktop,Invicta S2 Watch... more

yincrash

quality posts: 1 Private Messages yincrash
frainstorm wrote:Alright, somebody talk me into these. I wanna buy 'em, but I can't figure out why since my wife and I already have cell phones with free mobile to mobile. Is there any rationale for these? I'll accept about any justification you can think of.

Thanks in advance!
John

if you go skiing or snowboarding, you're not usually in range of a tower with good reception.

also, it's faster than a cell phone so if you're in a an amusement park with two separate groups.

suezb

quality posts: 0 Private Messages suezb

There are a lot of places that you can't get cell phone coverage. I see people constantly using them while skiing or snowmobiling, and also while driving the ATV's. You can also use them to go from the boat to your home, where you don't have reception! And my dad likes things around his neck, so I'm giving them to him for father's day. We can also use them at the trade shows, when I just want to know hey where are you!? We do so many things outdoors, and most of the time there isn't cell phone reception. Although I do have an awesome phone with an awesome plan that DOES get cell phone reception in most of those areas, but no one else has the same so even though I can call them, they can't get reception to hear it ring :)

Fatdawgsmaw

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Fatdawgsmaw

um, pardon the rapid fingers, BUT, I only got reliable cellphone service in the last 18 months or so, and still don't have access to broadband. Dialup for me, now, thanks. But we go camping (and hunting, ooooooh, Bambi, gonna getcha) constantly, and another couple sets of these as tossaways are great!

jackgermain

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jackgermain

Wife has cell phone, I have cell phone = talk for free. Range approximately 25,000 miles. Oh, and I can recharge the darn things.

ShadowStitch

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ShadowStitch

Can any helpful wooter tell me if these might be compatible with other FRS radios, like say, Motorola Talkabouts?

DakotaKid

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DakotaKid
Groxx wrote:Not a bad woot, but the 2 mile range is killing it for me. Primarily because it's 2 miles AT BEST. In other words, you're limited to about a mile in most uses.

But, the price is right, as Woot generally delivers :) Keep up the deals!

Get a phone if you need more than a mile.

3/20/2007 Compaq USB Notebook Fan – 2 Pack
12/8/2006 Dirt Devil Cordless Vac 'n Mop
10/17/2006 jWIN AM/FM Radio Sports Headphones - 2-Pack
5/18/2006 RCA 200 watt 5.1 Channel Home Theater System w/5 DVD Changer
3/7/2006 Xact M3X X-Linx Two-Way FRS Radio – 2 Pack
1/3/2006 Random carp: 2006 Calendar Edition

DakotaKid

jackgermain wrote:Wife has cell phone, I have cell phone = talk for free. Range approximately 25,000 miles. Oh, and I can recharge the darn things.

Yeah, and your 3 kids have them too right?

Don't be such a pest.

DakotaKid

yincrash wrote:
if you go skiing or snowboarding, you're not usually in range of a tower with good reception.

My exact reason for buying them.
Plus the neck rope is the best part of the deal.

serajane

quality posts: 1 Private Messages serajane

Thanks in advance!
John

My husband and I have 7 acres of yard...and it's hard to keep up with him when he's out working. He can wear his around his neck...I'll wear mine...and we can keep up with each other. I worry about him getting hurt somewhere on our place and me not being able to hear him if he calls me when I'm in the house.
He doesn't use a cell phone...so that's not an option with us.

frainstorm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages frainstorm

Thanks, I'm convinced. I love the idea of sticking this around my son's neck. Looks much better than those goofy leashes some people put on their kid. And he really wasn't enjoying the shock collar much, barely leaving the yard with that thing.

Thanks for the advice, I'm in for a set.
John

adinb

quality posts: 0 Private Messages adinb

OK, I may have missed it, but do these have any sort of headset jack? I've got some old motorola FRS radios I'd use while hiking....and while it's time to junk the radios, I'd like to be able to try and reuse my old headsets.

Anyone?

Moderation is for Monks!
-R.A.H.

Fatdawgsmaw

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Fatdawgsmaw

Sera Jane, We have 48 acres, and that's a LOT of yard to keep track of each other on. Especially when he needs help draggin' a deer back.

merkelct

quality posts: 0 Private Messages merkelct

do you get one 2 pack or 2 2 packs anyone????

Yaksha

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Yaksha

These would be cool if anyone I knew lived within two miles of me

al k

quality posts: 0 Private Messages al k

This will be great to communicate with our son who has CP and can't operate conventional 2-way radios when he is out and about in his power wheelchair. Voice activation is a great asset when the old digits just don't work well for you.

Lump532

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Lump532
round1about wrote:I can't believe that there are people so untravelled that they cannot imagine ever being out of range of a cell tower.

Well said

joewhite

quality posts: 0 Private Messages joewhite

anybody know if they have jack for headsets? Would be great for stagehands if so.

EricMatthew

quality posts: 0 Private Messages EricMatthew

Yay a woot i can afford
But i like my cell w/ bluetooth better.
But seems great if you have young ones aroung the house.

serajane

quality posts: 1 Private Messages serajane
Fatdawgsmaw wrote:Sera Jane, We have 48 acres, and that's a LOT of yard to keep track of each other on. Especially when he needs help draggin' a deer back.

That's what I'm talkin' about!!!

BentNail

quality posts: 0 Private Messages BentNail
jackgermain wrote:Wife has cell phone, I have cell phone = talk for free. Range approximately 25,000 miles. Oh, and I can recharge the darn things.

No cell tower, range zero.

raubin

quality posts: 2 Private Messages raubin
ShadowStitch wrote:Can any helpful wooter tell me if these might be compatible with other FRS radios, like say, Motorola Talkabouts?

Yes and no. Any radio operating on the FRS frequencies will be able to hear any other radio transmitting on the same frequency (channel). So in that regard, it is compatible, but if you use calling codes and whatnot, they will not be compatible - that is, you will not be able to open the squelch on the motorola to the channel you are using if it is using the CTCSS codes (continuous tone-coded squelch system) that Motorola uses (and calls PL Tones).

slaten

quality posts: 0 Private Messages slaten
pepsijeep wrote:cellphones made this obsolete years ago. i waited up for this?!

there are still some places on this earth where you cannot get cell phone reception and you desire 2 way communication that is somewhat faster than smoke signals.

And yes I have checked on Sat phones. Still too expensive.

jcoltrane

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jcoltrane

Fugliest woot ever.
Wouldn't wish these on my worst enemy.
Would go great with a pair of those MP3 player sunglasses on offer during the woot-off.

Enjoy, appreciaters-of-ugly-things.

pinnette

quality posts: 1 Private Messages pinnette

Ah if only Dick Cheney and his hunting buddy had a pair of these.