5%
3%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

wootalyzer

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wootalyzer

Wootalyzer's Pricing Post! - The price of today's woot item is saved here for future reference
------------------------------------------------------------
Philips GoGear Connect 3 16GB Media Player with Wi-Fi
$129.99 + $5 Shipping
Condition: New

*DISCLAIMER* Wootalyzer! is in no way affiliated with Woot!, and this post may not always be here!

jbhswim

quality posts: 31 Private Messages jbhswim

latherus

quality posts: 4 Private Messages latherus

Aka the price of a smartphone minus the phone and monthly commitment

TennCasey

quality posts: 2 Private Messages TennCasey

I like how the processor and RAM are missing from the specs. Does this thing suck that much?

lameducky

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lameducky

A poor man's ipod, eh?

mrmel

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mrmel

The read up says this has a camera. Other web pages, although not has dependable as woot, says no camera is included. Camera, yes or no?

FROM ThunderThighs: Good catch. There is no camera. The sales page has been updated to remove that information.

theguruguys

quality posts: 276 Private Messages theguruguys

Here is PC World's review, they were not too impressed by it.

And another review from Cnet UK.

And a unboxing and video review by J&R.

lichme

quality posts: 3052 Private Messages lichme

It is a step up from the ipod, yet not as good as a tablet. Price and portability is a huge bonus though.

rileyper

quality posts: 68 Private Messages rileyper

I got this same model at best buy several weeks ago, i love it. its easy to use especially if you use an android phone, i use grooveshark as my music service sound quality is great, even the earbuds that come with it is good quality. Good price but i got mine at best buy for $10 cheaper tho (sale is over btw so this is a good price)

theguruguys

mrmel wrote:The read up says this has a camera. Other web pages, although not has dependable as woot, says no camera is included. Camera, yes or no?

Yeah, all the reviews I have seen says cons are no camera. Judging by pics of the actual unit on woot! there doesn't appear to be a camera...

There official specification page at Philips doesn't mention a camera...

shortcake49

quality posts: 14 Private Messages shortcake49

"Powered by an 800MHz single-core processor and just 400MB of RAM," via PC World review http://www.pcworld.com/article/247300/philips_gogear_connect_3_review_underwhelming_unstable_android_media_player.html

bookface

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bookface

It's the Android answer to the iPod touch. If I didn't have a tablet, I'd be on this without question. As it is, I am still considering it.

mrmel wrote:The read up says this has a camera. Other web pages, although not has dependable as woot, says no camera is included. Camera, yes or no?

Doesn't look like it has one in the pictures.

wunami

quality posts: 9 Private Messages wunami

No mention of camera on the Philips webpage of it.
http://www.usa.philips.com/c/mp3-media-player/gogear-connect-3-16gb-sa3cnt16k_37/prd/en/

Also, I couldn't see a camera on the brief glimpse of the back that was shown on this Engaget video.
http://www.engadget.com/2011/09/04/philips-gogear-3-android-pmp-hands-on-video/

rileyper

ps if you're looking to use this as an IP Phone (ex. skype,googlevoice) this does have a mic, but you'll be using the earbuds to listen to conversation. Unless you love speakerphone.

uskrewed

quality posts: 18 Private Messages uskrewed

Underpowered device, no camera, no SD slot for expansion? No thank you.

LastApeMan

quality posts: 18 Private Messages LastApeMan

Phillips Level Of awesomeness is preventing me from considering this unit.

What Lies Behind Us and Lies Before Us are Small Matters Compared to What Lies Right to Our Faces.

MichXelle

quality posts: 38 Private Messages MichXelle
LastApeMan wrote:Phillips Level Of awesomeness is preventing me from considering this unit.

Me too. Goodnight.

OVER 550 W00T CARTFULS as of 06/25/14. You're killing us with some wonderful items W000T!

OVER 8 years on W00T shopping and The W00T Forum, since 02/06 with now a whopping 34 Quality Posts L-M-A-O! We do post quality information as do others that isn't recognized. Thanks for the 3 in 1 entire week! We're humbled. 3 additional noticed in 3 months. No more positive posts as our are not noticed.

rileyper

i can verify, there is no camera, why do you need a camera on an mp3 player

syninthecity

quality posts: 10 Private Messages syninthecity

SO..essentially it does everything a halfway decent phone should do, except it doesn't make calls?

theguruguys

I think the consensus is that woot!'s description of the product is wrong. Hope they fix soon, people who buy that don't read the community will be really disappointed.

mrmel

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mrmel

Android market, yes! Camera, no. Cool, Yes! SD slot, no. Want one, ehh. I'll wait for something better to spend my money on.

LastApeMan

quality posts: 18 Private Messages LastApeMan
rileyper wrote:i can verify, there is no camera, why do you need a camera on an mp3 player

To Take pictures of the dancing fools.

What Lies Behind Us and Lies Before Us are Small Matters Compared to What Lies Right to Our Faces.

theguruguys

rileyper wrote:i can verify, there is no camera, why do you need a camera on an mp3 player

Its great to have multipurpose devices. If I wanted just an MP3 player I'd go get a cheap $40 one. At $129 more features are a must. Remember just a couple of years ago people were going crazy over dedicated video cameras with this form factor (ie. Flip video). Now you can get a device that captures video of the same quality of those devices and does a lot more. Unfortunately, this Philips isn't one of them.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 589 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

theguruguys wrote:I think the consensus is that woot!'s description of the product is wrong. Hope they fix soon, people who buy that don't read the community will be really disappointed.

Fixed.

That was an error on our part. There is no camera on this media player.

Thanks for catching it!

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

afwalton

quality posts: 9 Private Messages afwalton
latherus wrote:Aka the price of a smartphone minus the phone and monthly commitment

AKA an Android answer to the iPod Touch.

bhcompy

quality posts: 15 Private Messages bhcompy
shortcake49 wrote:"Powered by an 800MHz single-core processor and just 400MB of RAM," via PC World review http://www.pcworld.com/article/247300/philips_gogear_connect_3_review_underwhelming_unstable_android_media_player.html

For reference, the PS2 had a 300mhz processor and 32mb of RAM.

mbrickell

quality posts: 9 Private Messages mbrickell

It would be interesting to see this compared to something like a Samsung Galaxy Player 4 or 5. Not too much more money for one of those on sale...actually I think Woot had the 5 a while back for well under $200, and I think the 4 can be had even cheaper.

megapenguinx

quality posts: 0 Private Messages megapenguinx

Galaxy Players are better, though a bit more expensive.

theguruguys

afwalton wrote:AKA an Android answer to the iPod Touch.

I wish. The Samsung Galaxy 5 is more of an answer to the iPod touch.

angerbender

quality posts: 48 Private Messages angerbender

Anyone know if the touchscreen is resistive like Archos's mini android line, or capacitive, like the Samsung Galaxy Players?

meghano1989

quality posts: 5 Private Messages meghano1989

What is "Mass storage compatible"? My first thought was that that meant that you can expand storage (i.e. via SD card), but from other comments this does not seem to be a feature.

jomion

quality posts: 9 Private Messages jomion
angerbender wrote:Anyone know if the touchscreen is resistive like Archos's mini android line, or capacitive, like the Samsung Galaxy Players?

Capacitive.

I need more...

editorkid

quality posts: 93 Private Messages editorkid

Native support for FLAC is a big win. Even Google Music, the cloud-based app, doesn't have that. (It transcodes FLACs to MP3s for playback, kind of missing the point.)

I wouldn't mind having something lighter than the Rockboxed iPod I use to listen to FLACs now. But that has five times the storage this does. Off to think...

maldito

quality posts: 0 Private Messages maldito
meghano1989 wrote:What is "Mass storage compatible"? My first thought was that that meant that you can expand storage (i.e. via SD card), but from other comments this does not seem to be a feature.

It PROBABLY means that when you connect it to your computer, you can use it as a 'flash drive' to store data on it and take to another computer.
In other words, it'll show up as a removable drive on your comp.

angerbender

quality posts: 48 Private Messages angerbender

"Mp3 player". Wow. What a slap in the face for this little device. Fully functional multimedia and internet machine. More computer than mp3. Cameras are good for taking photos and videos to be shared via email, bluetooth, facebook, youtube, flickr, photobucket, ect, ect, and whatnot.

editorkid

quality posts: 93 Private Messages editorkid
angerbender wrote:"Mp3 player". Wow. What a slap in the face for this little device. Fully functional multimedia and internet machine. More computer than mp3. Cameras are good for taking photos and videos to be shared via email, bluetooth, facebook, youtube, flickr, photobucket, ect, ect, and whatnot.

This isn't a phone replacement and every phone has a camera. With that in mind and especially with the low storage and RAM in this unit, a camera would be superfluous.

graystang86

quality posts: 3 Private Messages graystang86

A few comments: :-)

This is NOT an Android tablet. If you want one look somewhere else.
This is NOT an Android tablet. If you want one look somewhere else.
:-) :-)

As for the other comments, the CPU speed and memory are similar to a B&N Color Nook. You know the ereader that people loved as a low cost $250 tablet! Yes, I have one, it's rooted, and mainly a "tablet". For music, pictures, videos, it's a nice size.

Yes, the gogear does have capacitive touch. Resistive touch on a small screen is 110% stupid and 150% worthless.

I have a lot of music that I bought on Amazon and can now listen to on the the Amazon cloud. I can listen through either through a web browser, or ...
through a an Android app and an internet connection!

The last point is what, IMHO, the target market of the gogear is for - MP3 player with the ability for cloud-based music.

Who buys the gogear to play Angry Birds on the gogear?? HUH??????

Like other MP3 players, the gogear adds in the ability to show pictures and videos. In that way, it's similar to a phone.

For me, looking at pictures on anything less than a 5" tablet is "Wow that's nice. That's a great picture of something. Yea, I can totally tell that it's bigfoot playing ball with the loch ness monster. Or, it could be a picture of the inside of your pocket." :-D

Oh yea, I will mention again that:
The Gogear NOT an Android tablet. :-)

FWIW, I got my 7" Vizio tablet on Woot for not much more. Now, that is perfectly fine for use as a tablet. But, it would be "big-ish" if you want just an internet connected MP3 player.

Mezquitic

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Mezquitic
bhcompy wrote:For reference, the PS2 had a 300mhz processor and 32mb of RAM.

That's not a reference, you can't compare Intel Core i3 380UM 1.3mhz with Cortex A9 1.4mhz. apples to oranges

jespensc

quality posts: 24 Private Messages jespensc

Bah! For the same price, you can get a nicer Archos 32 (which iirc I first saw here on Woot). The Philips Gogear specs are virtually the same, but the Archos 32 adds a camera, USB Host, and video out. With minor effort, it made a decent Skype phone for my 8yo.

That said, this is kind of a sour spot in the market: Such a small screen is difficult for anything more than the most basic music player, and if the device supports apps, the kids want to use them. I ended up moving from a small-screen device like this to the more-capable Archos' 32, then their model 43. It's not fantastic, but the cheap & flexible Archos 43 is the everything-but-a-cellphone device that seems to keep getting used. (You get an iPhone-equiv wvga screen and A8 cpu, better sound, HDMI/hd vid out, microSD, an 720p camera for about $80 more than the A32 or this Philips Gogear.) It's worth it.

Also important: With the prevalence, nay, dominance of malware in the standard Android app market, its presence is actually a negative if you plan on buying this for a child. (Kid: "This tictactoe app wants rights to all network, email, phone, and sms? Sure, why not!!" [click-pwn!]) Archos does an acceptable job of filtering malware from its AppLib, and Amazon's market is an excellent option, but there's no way I would leave Google's standard App Market on a device for a kid. Another win for Archos' otherwise-middling products.

J