willibuyher

quality posts: 0 Private Messages willibuyher

Had mine since they first came out. It rocks! Have used Skype several times and works fine.

chalion

quality posts: 8 Private Messages chalion

As stated, the external power supply to recharge is annoying, but so is having to use the special cord that the Samsung tablet come with. (Which I also own).

3 things that this has over the Samsung: USB ports, mini-HDMI port, PLUS is able to use micro SD & SDHC cards up to 32GB in size. It may be a bit heavier and larger, but it runs as fast (or faster!) and Samsung has stated they will stop support of their 1st gen. tablets when the 2nd gen. comes out.

So far, all tablets connect via wifi (that are in this price range at least). If you have a 2G, 3G or 4G, you can give your tablet access to the internet, though it is a bit slower than wifi, so no downloading apps or updates unless you have a good bit of time on your hands. (32MB-not GB- download took 45 minutes on a 3G download link - for me, at work).

Recommended signature image size is 5k.

liztull

quality posts: 12 Private Messages liztull
radi0j0hn wrote:Notice all of "yesterday's tablets" being dumped right after CES? First they try to sell them a little cheaper, then later sell the rest really cheap before they rot completely.

So does this imply prices will be coming down even further in the next few months as new revs are released? I didn't jump on any of the Black Friday deals because everyone said prices would be dropping Q1 2012 and I'm not in any hurry. Just wondering if this is the drop they were forecasting, or just the beginning of increased price reductions.

chalion

liztull wrote:So does this imply prices will be coming down even further in the next few months as new revs are released? I didn't jump on any of the Black Friday deals because everyone said prices would be dropping Q1 2012 and I'm not in any hurry. Just wondering if this is the drop they were forecasting, or just the beginning of increased price reductions.

I would posit that this is just the beginning, but this IS a refurb and is what the refurb price that the 16GB was back in december. If you're willing to wait a few months longer when the new generation of tablets come out then the prices will definately drop, but then it won't be worth it to get the older gen tablets.............vicious cycle there, deciding when it's the best time to get devices.

vanstrien

quality posts: 1 Private Messages vanstrien

We bought one of these when it first came out and really like it.

It isn't as pretty as the Xoom, for example, but as far as I can tell it has pretty much the same specs as all the most popular tablets (at least it did), with a few notable (and positive) exceptions:
- it has a USB port into which you can plug a USB drive. So you can plug your phone or a USB thumb drive into the USB host port while simultaneously plugging the Iconia into your PC using the Micro-USB port.
- it has a hardware lock switch. While you need to set other tablets to not rotate via software menus, if you lay on your side reading a magazine on the Iconia you can just flick a switch.

Otherwise we have used it for Skype, games, etc.

chalion

Boxymoron wrote:Just browsing the statistics between this tablet and the one I bought, the Toshiba Thrive 16GB, and I can't see any differences in terms of internal components/ports, beyond the larger internal memory of the Iconia and the Thrive having full-size ports. http://www.woot.com/Blog/ViewEntry.aspx?Id=20935

Think they're equally matched, and my Thrive's just what I wanted.

Gorilla glass on the ACER, but not on the Toshiba, but other than that, specs are about the same.

(swyped out on my ACER ICONIA tablet).

kiminy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kiminy

I bought a 16GB version new several months ago, and I have never regretted the purchase. It has Bluetooth (which can help make up for the mic issues), GPS, and good WiFi. It can pick up networks that my phone struggles with. I have a Bluetooth keyboard that works well with it, if I need to do a lot of typing.

It fully supports Amazon's App market (unlike my AT&T Android phone), and since I've owned the device, I've been able to get many high-quality apps for free. The only time I've spend money for an app is when Google was doing their big 10-cent sale last month.

The only real negatives (yes, two-in-one) are the power cord. It is a propriety connection with a huge wall wart and the cord is only about 2 feet long. While the battery is extremely long-lived, it's virtually impossible to use the device while it's charging. (I keep a short extension cord in my bag to help with this.) And even though it has a microUSB port, you cannot use this port to charge the device, although you will find lots of off-brand devices that claim you can.

Kim

mariontoo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mariontoo

Wants to make sure. So this runs Netflix, and the newest version of Hulu, and it has GPS? Is it wi-fi and 3G?

Altirius

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Altirius

Woot. May I just say I love you right now.

I recently placed an order a few hours ago for the 16 gb version (refurb) at BestBuy.com and then I saw the 32 gb (refurb) one here at Woot. Needless to say, I cancelled my BestBuy order and bought from Woot. Now what to do with the 15 dollars I just saved and the extra 16 gigs of storage.....

I KNOW! I can NOT get a micro SD card and I can get a case instead!

Thanks Woot!

bruisedquasar

quality posts: 4 Private Messages bruisedquasar

Before getting all warm and fuzzy over Iconia, look into the many, many WIFI connection complaints. You can find a bunch of them at Amazon. Just click for the two star buyer reviews. One after another complains about serious problem staying connected to Internet. This is a major, do not buy it, issue when it comes to a Tablet. They are useless to 99% of users without Internet. Basically, a tablet is an Internet device.

Also, Amazon owns Woot. Why sell Iconia for much less here? Inventory clear out maybe since sales are really slowed with the fantastic Asus Transformer Prime release? Very hard to sell a defective Tablet when a great one (the Asus) is there for about the same bucks and a 7" $250 Asus with same internal hardware and Android 4 is on the way.

badcatstl

quality posts: 6 Private Messages badcatstl

Can this one be docked into a keyboard? I thought I saw something about the old ones can't but the new release ones should be able to.

bruisedquasar

quality posts: 4 Private Messages bruisedquasar
badcatstl wrote:Can this one be docked into a keyboard? I thought I saw something about the old ones can't but the new release ones should be able to.

This puppy is still $300 and there is a major defect reported by many buyers, even at the Iconia tablet forum. Many owners experience problems staying connected. Wait a two months and get the new Asus Memo 7" tablet with Android 4. It has the same internal hardware as the game changing Asus Transformer Prime and suggested retail is only $250

barristan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages barristan

Waiting impatiently for the Asus Memo 370t.........

Tyster

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Tyster

Got my wife one for x-mas and it is excellent!!! Actually got it a little less than this new with 32GB because of a pricing error :-)
We highly recommend this tablet.

badcatstl

quality posts: 6 Private Messages badcatstl
bruisedquasar wrote:This puppy is still $300 and there is a major defect reported by many buyers, even at the Iconia tablet forum. Many owners experience problems staying connected. Wait a two months and get the new Asus Memo 7" tablet with Android 4. It has the same internal hardware as the game changing Asus Transformer Prime and suggested retail is only $250

I'll have to check on that, but I for sure don't want a 7", wayyyyy to small.

chalion

bruisedquasar wrote:This puppy is still $300 and there is a major defect reported by many buyers, even at the Iconia tablet forum. Many owners experience problems staying connected. Wait a two months and get the new Asus Memo 7" tablet with Android 4. It has the same internal hardware as the game changing Asus Transformer Prime and suggested retail is only $250

The ASUS MeMO 171 features a 7″ 1280 x 800 IPS display with great viewing angles and exceptionally great colors and brightness. Unlike it’s recently unveiled brother this model doesn’t have the quad-core, instead it will be offered with the Qualcomm 1.2 GHz dual-core processor and 1 GB of RAM.

MeMO specs here, with review:

AndroidMeMohandson

Ah, my review is of the 171 MeMO, not the 370t.

Pufferfishy

quality posts: 35 Private Messages Pufferfishy
oldhickorytony wrote:You won't be able to Skype with that Asus (won't have both of the cameras needed)

o_0 You need exactly zero cameras to use Skype - I do it all day long.... just sayin.

You've been put on posting probation for this post

majorshopper

quality posts: 4 Private Messages majorshopper

Was just about to pull the trigger, and now I see all of these posts about dropping wifi.... for those posting rave reviews, what has been your experience?

offline999

quality posts: 4 Private Messages offline999
majorshopper wrote:Was just about to pull the trigger, and now I see all of these posts about dropping wifi.... for those posting rave reviews, what has been your experience?

I've been using one of these for about 6 months now and I've never noticed any issues with it dropping of Wifi. When it goes into "standby" mode it will disconnect but it reconnects within seconds of unlocking it (and waking it up). I get a great connection to my "N" router even on the opposite end of the house, some 40 feet away.
All in all I've been extremely happy with this tablet. The short power cord is a bit annoying but an extension cord "solves" that problem.

DefenderBob

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DefenderBob

I have one - works great to Skype. You can change from front can to rear can during the call

DefenderBob

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DefenderBob
majorshopper wrote:Was just about to pull the trigger, and now I see all of these posts about dropping wifi.... for those posting rave reviews, what has been your experience?

I have one - any time the wifi drops its the router and for all my wifi devices.

I paid 300 for a used 16 gb. IMO good price. This tab can do alot, and the Acer programs are useful.

Slated to get ICS in Jan.

majorshopper

offline999 wrote:I've been using one of these for about 6 months now and I've never noticed any issues with it dropping of Wifi. When it goes into "standby" mode it will disconnect but it reconnects within seconds of unlocking it (and waking it up). I get a great connection to my "N" router even on the opposite end of the house, some 40 feet away.
All in all I've been extremely happy with this tablet. The short power cord is a bit annoying but an extension cord "solves" that problem.

Thanks!!! I'm sold. Going to get the square trade warranty... Anybody got any discount codes for square trade?

gak0090

quality posts: 71 Private Messages gak0090
rubles7 wrote:HEY! I just bought a Toshiba Thrive 10.1” 32GB Android Tablet with Wi-Fi through Woot two weeks ago! How does the Acer compare? Any thoughts?

The Acer is sleeker. But, the really cool thing about the Thrive, which I think is a characteristic that only the thrive has in comparing the similar honeycomb tablets, is that it can support an SDXC card up to 128gb, whereas the other tablets only support SDHC cards up to 32gb. I think that this feature was way under marketed on the Thrive. Anyone that add ripped movies to their tablet will appreciate the potential for extra space

obladi6703

quality posts: 1 Private Messages obladi6703
radi0j0hn wrote:But what about the great unwashed who don't want to root, toot and scoot a unit? It's like the person who buys a car and puts in a different engine and raves about how great it is. Doesn't help the rest of us. For those who DO want to root, scoot and toot, we would want to know EXACTLY what you changed, as there are all kinds of not-so-good rooting schemes out there. Or at least a pointer to a URL to step-by-step it.

Sorry, I should have included links in my original post.

Here is a link to some step-by-step guides for rooting, flashing custom rom, etc.

Looks like there is a patch to fix the GPS issues: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1267899

I have read that some of the cases for the a500 cover the microphone reducing the quality. http://www.acertabletforum.com/forum/acer-iconia-tab-general-discussions/819-protective-case-reason-lousy-microphone-performance.html

evslice

quality posts: 0 Private Messages evslice

for the one asking about skype, i am running it on my Iconia and it works great. this is a great unit, agree could be a bit tall for a refurb unit.

gak0090

quality posts: 71 Private Messages gak0090
DefenderBob wrote:I have one - any time the wifi drops its the router and for all my wifi devices.

I paid 300 for a used 16 gb. IMO good price. This tab can do alot, and the Acer programs are useful.

Slated to get ICS in Jan.

I have used the Asus Transformer, Lenovo K1. Something that I have noticed about these tablets is that they get finicky unless you have a strong WIFI signal (they are nothing like a laptop). I am almost wondering if there is something in honeycomb software that attenuates the radio signal to help battery life, or if the antenna in all these similar tablets is either positioned badly (users hand ends up covering it while holding), or under sized.It's just odd that these similar tablets all tend to get a weak signal as compared to laptops at the same distance away.

JohnCanfield

quality posts: 0 Private Messages JohnCanfield

I've had one of these for several months. Costco had them new for $349 with 32 Gb. It's a pretty good tablet. The WiFi isn't particularly sensitive. Screen is nice and bright. The tablet is fairly heavy to use as a book reader.

Just about any Android app will run on the Iconia.

deathopie

quality posts: 7 Private Messages deathopie

I got the 16g deal from Secondipity a month ago and I really like it. Also picked up the really cheap ($5) cover at Amazon. Best deal eva! If this thing could get HBOgo I'd be super stoked. I dumped Netflix for Amazon Prime, so I don't use that app. I also picked up some Zonda bluetooth headphones for $15. Deals.Woot savin me some caesssssh, holla. (I'm 47, I should grow up at some point)

ctlapointe

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ctlapointe

Great tablet! bought mine mid-summer and love it! Does everything I need to surfing web, watching videos, playing games, email, finance apps. Camera/Video looks great and can email these on the fly. Bought 32gb at Costco for $429 including case...good deal overall for mine. Very satisfied. Not too much of an Apple fan. Good luck with your decision.

fevans1980

quality posts: 6 Private Messages fevans1980
xxooss wrote:Is this compatible with a mac, iTunes, Linux, Swahili, farm raised salmon, 5 1/4 floppies and my TI99?

Yes... Except the farm raised salmon. It makes you susceptible to viruses.

kyleisagod

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kyleisagod

Got a 16GB awhile back for $400. Totally worth it. If I had the spare cash I'd pick up one of these for a gift.

JinOh

quality posts: 5 Private Messages JinOh

I paid full $450 retail the day this and the asus transformer came out. Could of had the Asus for $50 less, but this one is so much better. About a year now and it still runs like day one. Several days use on a charge, no dead pixels. Luckily I have not had any of what some complained about. Well, maybe slow to connect to my wifi on occasion. And it is only a few coins in the hand heavier than the Samsung/Xoom/Asustablets of the same size.

Its a great tablet, does get update support. Covers are dirt cheap now. But avoid the dock, pricey and near useless. And it is going to be late summer before the price of any 10.1 quad core tablets get to within $300 range. And if they do, it too will likely be refurbed.

crooner

quality posts: 1 Private Messages crooner

I bought a tablet bout a year ago. I lacked it, but was never able to set up my already existin email account (Charter)! Now I am leery of Android!! Any idears, anyone????

brismithejedi

quality posts: 1 Private Messages brismithejedi

This seems like a really good deal. I bought the 16GB version back when it was first released, I think back in April 2011 I believe, for $399 and I love it. I have NEVER had any of the WiFi issues that some have mentioned, nor any other real issues.

What I love about the tablet is the numerous methods for expansion. The USB port means I can hook up a flash drive to it and it has a place for a MicroSD card as well. I also use it with a Seagate GoFlex Satellite device which makes it very easy for you to stream your music and movies to the device.

I wish it had a keyboard dock like the Transformer, but to me the expansion ports were more important. Other than that, it's very stable and performs very well overall. I also dislike the official protective case/stand that comes with it as my tablet just slips out of it when in stand mode, but that's pretty minor complaint.

Someone asked if it was 3G AND Wifi, but I think it's just WiFi. That's all that mine is. I haven't seen any 3G Acer tabs, but I could be missing them.

sssprinkle

quality posts: 17 Private Messages sssprinkle
pitzerwm wrote:Bluetooth??

Doesn't say here but at Tiger direct, it does

Yes it has Bluetooth. I'm not much for typing on the tablet, so I bought the Acer Bluetooth keyboard at OfficeMax. It works great.

As for other things I've seen posted. Mine has absolutely no problems with dropping Wi-Fi throughout my two-story house. Netflix works great, as does Skype.

majorshopper

majorshopper wrote:Thanks!!! I'm sold. Going to get the square trade warranty... Anybody got any discount codes for square trade?

Just an fyi... $75 for one year.... Found coupon code but still would be around $50!!! Yikes! Way too much...still got the tablet though.

ARoss99

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ARoss99
rubles7 wrote:HEY! I just bought a Toshiba Thrive 10.1” 32GB Android Tablet with Wi-Fi through Woot two weeks ago! How does the Acer compare? Any thoughts?

A week before that I wooted the 16g Thrive for $279. All the reviews seem to say they're all about the same overall features, quality, etc. This one DOES have a flash on its camera, but I have a "camera" that's a lot better for picture-taking anyway.

morriea

quality posts: 19 Private Messages morriea
crooner wrote:I bought a tablet bout a year ago. I lacked it, but was never able to set up my already existin email account (Charter)! Now I am leery of Android!! Any idears, anyone????

Here is the CHARTER mobile email settings. Read through it....it shows the settings you will need to use. Step-by-step instructions.

http://www.myaccount.charter.com/customers/support.aspx?supportarticleid=2234

morriea

quality posts: 19 Private Messages morriea
morriea wrote:Here is the CHARTER mobile email settings. Read through it....it shows the settings you will need to use. Step-by-step instructions.

JUST FYI...the settings for almost any mobile email can be found by googling "(provider) email settings"

crooner

quality posts: 1 Private Messages crooner
morriea wrote:Here is the CHARTER mobile email settings. Read through it....it shows the settings you will need to use. Step-by-step instructions.

Thanx, Ill give it a shot!!!