Mydnyte

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Mydnyte
chemgeek wrote:Really, they sold 3999 refurb'ed, discontinued Touchpads at a price well above the firesale price?!?!?!?!?

Yes, because the firesale price is long gone, never to return. At this point it might as well have never happened.

At least you didn't have to buy a 2TB hard drive now at over $200 instead of getting it at under $100 before the Taiwan issue took hold. I don't envy anyone that's in the market for hard drives these days.

Over FOUR HUNDRED Woots and counting.....

Mydnyte

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Mydnyte
Milkshakeed wrote:What is with you people? You can't recognize a great deal because there was a better one that will never happen again. All you nay-sayers are the ones that cry a month later that's it's not fair you can't find it at this price. Wal-Mart stock is still a great deal if it's at $35. Even though I've seen it at $30, it will not prevent me from buys at a steal of $35. Learn the value of things.

What they said!

Over FOUR HUNDRED Woots and counting.....

giolee88

quality posts: 16 Private Messages giolee88
Milkshakeed wrote:What is with you people? You can't recognize a great deal because there was a better one that will never happen again. All you nay-sayers are the ones that cry a month later that's it's not fair you can't find it at this price. Wal-Mart stock is still a great deal if it's at $35. Even though I've seen it at $30, it will not prevent me from buys at a steal of $35. Learn the value of things.

People deriving their baselines from completely irrational reference points...have no reasonable basis of judgement.

Truth: The 32GB HP Touchpad had a Bill of Materials roughly on the order of $328 cost to HP (not including SW/licensing). The perversity of the original firesale is a bit more obvious when you have that perspective. But that perspective is definitely *not* common knowledge.

http://www.isuppli.com/Teardowns/News/Pages/HP-TouchPad-Carries-$318-Bill-of-Materials.aspx

With the survival of the sw platform intact (open source), and the option to swing over to an alternate (Android) platform, I would think the only real question would be whether the hardware is up to snuff.

The bottom line is that if you don't think this is a good deal...you probably already had a prejudice against it in the first place. It's natural for the market to form them.

jrstinkfish

quality posts: 4 Private Messages jrstinkfish
vibes4me wrote:I think the app explosion is on the way for WEBOS now that it is opensource. You'll see John Carter mark my words.

Not sure why open-sourcing webOS will result in an "app explosion" -- the user base won't increase beyond the TP's that have been sold (it will only get smaller), and the number of people who'd slap it on an Android tablet and use it as the primary OS is very small. Plus no one wants to pay for apps for a device that, if it breaks, they won't be able to replace.

It will make a nice web browser and eReader though. But when you're ready for that "app explosion," install Android on it

mrunner9362

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mrunner9362

Check your floating point numbers Woot! The quantity breakdown only comes out to 99%.

Sorry, it's bothering me.

Edit: On the main page. The Woot! bot has it on lockdown.

irregularpulse

quality posts: 0 Private Messages irregularpulse

This was a $400 plus tablet brand new. Not $150. It only hit $150 because it was end of life. Now granted that was a week or two after release, but still, It's not a $150 tablet. I just picked one up here. Was planning on a Kindle Fire this week, but saw this before getting in the shower this morning. Initial reviews had me passing. Then I researched it at work and saw the wonderful homebrew community surrounding it. Can't wait to dual boot ICS once it's stabilized. TO those consumer looking to turn something on and go, get a Kindle, for those who want more tablet for their cash and like tweaking technology, go with this. I'll be able to do everything the Kindle can and more, but with a larger screen.

fmcwoot

quality posts: 7 Private Messages fmcwoot

These are the same people that won't buy a good piece of real estate three years from now for $300k because similar property was selling for $220k in January, 2012. They're so focused on price, they lose perspective of the larger picture.

Maybe Woot should be posting an empty new condo complex in Florida. That'll be a first for woot. Hmmm....

fmcwoot

fmcwoot wrote: Maybe Woot should be posting an empty new condo complex in Florida. That'll be a first for woot. Hmmm....

Wait, did I just give Woot a million dollar idea?? "RealEstate.Woot!"? I better get at least a coupon out of this deal!

brasda91

quality posts: 1 Private Messages brasda91
nyisless13 wrote:Same here, I was an early webOS adopter who reluctantly moved to Android last year after my Pre's hardware started to fail and I still think webOS has the best UI on the mobile market. Apple and Android have all the apps, but iOS feels too dumbed-down and almost toyish, and Android 2.x is just kind of clunky and unpolished. To me, webOS has a just-right combination of user friendliness, polish, and productivity capability. Really a shame Palm and HP couldn't get it to take off.

As you might imagine, I have not dual-booted my TP with Android yet, but I probably will once a stable and functional port of ICS becomes available. The alluring thing about ICS to me, ironically, is that it integrates some aspects of webOS that aren't found in older versions of Android - no doubt Matias Duarte's handiwork.

I'm a former Pre Plus user. I migrated to WP7. You should look at it. I have noticed how much easier the OS is to use compared to Android.

my fair share of stuff

sl8763

quality posts: 4 Private Messages sl8763
fmcwoot wrote:Wait, did I just give Woot a million dollar idea?? "RealEstate.Woot!"? I better get at least a coupon out of this deal!

They might give you a free Bungalow of Crap

derrickramsey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages derrickramsey

I saw this around 11 CST and I texted my wife to let me have the money... needless to say I couldn't convince her to say yes until just a few minutes ago, and its sold out now.

anything but a one...

BigD

quality posts: 69 Private Messages BigD
derrickramsey wrote:I saw this around 11 CST and I texted my wife to let me have the money... needless to say I couldn't convince her to say yes until just a few minutes ago, and its sold out now.

We just got a few more units, so you're back in luck if you move fast.....

What does refurbished or recertified mean? Click here to find out.

Raider9924

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Raider9924
derrickramsey wrote:I saw this around 11 CST and I texted my wife to let me have the money... needless to say I couldn't convince her to say yes until just a few minutes ago, and its sold out now.

Well this is a first that I have ever seen on Woot! It is no longer sold out and can be purchased again. I do not remember ever seeing this happen before.

Proudly tracking via WootStalker.com

fmcwoot

Raider9924 wrote:Well this is a first that I have ever seen on Woot! It is no longer sold out and can be purchased again. I do not remember ever seeing this happen before.

What the...?? The 16gb is still sold out, though.

fmcwoot

And to think up to this point I thought those pathetic pansy male characters they portrayed in those Miller Lite commercials were fictional...

InFrom

quality posts: 31 Private Messages InFrom
Raider9924 wrote:Well this is a first that I have ever seen on Woot! It is no longer sold out and can be purchased again. I do not remember ever seeing this happen before.

It's happened before with wine. How nice for those who aren't snoozing!

giolee88

quality posts: 16 Private Messages giolee88
giolee88 wrote:
Truth: The 32GB HP Touchpad had a Bill of Materials roughly on the order of $328 cost to HP (not including SW/licensing). The perversity of the original firesale is a bit more obvious when you have that perspective. But that perspective is definitely *not* common knowledge.

http://www.isuppli.com/Teardowns/News/Pages/HP-TouchPad-Carries-$318-Bill-of-Materials.aspx

Btw...the same analysis done on a Kindle Fire yields a Bill of Materials of $201.

http://www.isuppli.com/Teardowns/News/Pages/Amazon-Kindle-Fire-Costs-$201-70-to-Manufacture.aspx

puffdank

quality posts: 0 Private Messages puffdank

Ya what gives, 16gb still sold out? Is there a time when you guys here at woot plan on posting the extra units you got?

rbeard

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rbeard

Just a quick review from somebody who has an Ipad 2 and a hp touchpad.

Out of the box, the touchpad is noticably slower then the Ipad 2 for web browsing. We're talking 10-20 seconds or so to load some websites that the ipad 2 loads almost instantly. That was my biggest complaint. After overclocking the processor and doing the recommended speed tweaks, this got cut to probably half, but it was still noticably slower for web browsing.

App selection is also much smaller then the ipad store. My biggest complaint was there isn't an open ereader platform like aldiko or anything like that. There is a kindle app and maybe other paid ones but nothing out there to manage my 1000's of epub books.

I have recently uploaded cryogenmod android onto the touchpad and overclocked it and my performance has went up a lot. It's now just about the same as the ipad 2 for web browsing. Something that takes 1-2 seconds to load on ipad 2 may take 3-4 but it's not bad at all and hardly noticable. I think it's definately as fast if not faster then ipad 1 for web browsing.

Biggest plus besides the price tag is the speakers on the touchpad. Absolutely blows away ipad 2's speakers. If my wife is watching TV, and I turn the touchpad volume up all the way, she won't be able to hear the TV any more, they can get that loud and the sound quality is good.

So basicly, if you're not going to do anything to it, you'll be disappointed. If you overlock webos, you'll be satisfied. If you install android, you'll love it.

jefffurry

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jefffurry

Too easy. Yeah, I thought about it. I looked at the 16GB version on sellout.woot, and was kinda sad when it sold out, so I came back to this one. And I slept on it.

I have a Viewsonic gTablet that I've rooted and upgraded with a new ROM, and while I like it, the screen has a very narrow vertical viewing angle that gets kind of annoying. And, well, it's really my wife's.

So I clicked buy it, and entered my magic credit card code, and clicked go, and I'm $225 poorer and soon to be one HP tablet richer. Too easy.

fmcwoot

giolee88 wrote:

Btw...the same analysis done on a Kindle Fire yields a Bill of Materials of $201.

http://www.isuppli.com/Teardowns/News/Pages/Amazon-Kindle-Fire-Costs-$201-70-to-Manufacture.aspx.

That's very interesting. Kindle takes a loss on their sale and makes it up with software, ebook and other business. So, this HP TouchPad price is a good deal. Thanks for confirming. Now, should I buy a second one??

zott

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zott

I am confused...I saw it was sold out earlier...now there are more? How about a few more of the 16GB too?

Bealz

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Bealz

Can't justify buying a no longer supported refurb when the K-fire is out there now, new.

bpeterson82

quality posts: 52 Private Messages bpeterson82

Yipee!!! I snagged one after it got restocked. Android HP Tablet it will become. And my Vizio tab from Xmas will become the kids'.

erigar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages erigar

for a little more you can get a Quad core tablet ICS.

Pass..

loricarlene

quality posts: 0 Private Messages loricarlene

I was content with WEB OS, it isn't the worst but I just got the new Android Ice Cream Sandwich on the tablet and I love it.

darell1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages darell1

Big D says, Thanks Staff, you know how to take care of the boy. Just finsh trans. Looking forward to the TochPad. Is there any kind of Warranty?

MMaggio

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MMaggio
erigar wrote:for a little more you can get a Quad core tablet ICS.

Pass..

A little more meaning.. double the price?

MMaggio

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MMaggio

I have the Touchpad 16GB with CM9 ICS on it and I am perfectly happy. Sure a $500 tablet designed to run Android does perform slightly better but the money saved on this GREATLY outweighs the differences.

If you are looking for an Android tablet but don't want to pay $500 (or more), get this and install Android on it.

ross1962

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ross1962

I think it's worth mentioning that it costs HP about $300 to make one of these. So, as someone already mentioned, just because it's not $99, or $150 doesn't mean it's still not a really good deal You're getting it well below cost.

ross1962

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ross1962
darell1 wrote:Big D says, Thanks Staff, you know how to take care of the boy. Just finsh trans. Looking forward to the TochPad. Is there any kind of Warranty?

90 days.

darell1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages darell1

10/04, just scan the web page and seen it. Thanks

wootchawant

quality posts: 67 Private Messages wootchawant

in case anyone is still reading this forum, here's a link to the touchpad case i own and love: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005MLJ0LW/ref=oh_o00_s00_i00_details

enjoy...

so wootchawootchawootchawant?! you're so funny with that money that you flaunt...

bitterthought

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bitterthought

Dear Woot,

I will love you more than forever and a day if you save some of those tablets and put them on sale again in two weeks where I will have the proper amount of funds to purchase this tablet.

Your loyal customer. - Commander Cuddlesworth.

<3

Excalv7

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Excalv7

So glad this came back up...I left work to go home to buy one and when I got home it was sold out. In for 1 now!!

brettday

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brettday

Purchased mine this morning about 11am! Cannot wait. Already have all of the necessary files downloaded so that I can stick ICS on this bad boy the minute it arrives. For those interested go to rootzwiki.com to get most of the files you need.

Here is a great site as well. Gives step by step instructions on how to get any version on android up and running, also has a video at the end that shows the TP running ICS. Enjoy

http://liliputing.com/2012/01/how-to-install-android-4-0-on-the-hp-touchpad-cyanogenmod-9-alpha.html

MichXelle

quality posts: 38 Private Messages MichXelle
mrelk2 wrote:Awww..Sold out..not fair

Yes it is fair. Try to move your ass faster next time. Kudos to all that got this great deal. It may be the last time you see it.......

Whoops, go get it NOW!

OVER 550 W00T CARTFULS as of 06/25/14. You're killing us with some wonderful items W000T!

OVER 8 years on W00T shopping and The W00T Forum, since 02/06 with now a whopping 34 Quality Posts L-M-A-O! We do post quality information as do others that isn't recognized. Thanks for the 3 in 1 entire week! We're humbled. 3 additional noticed in 3 months. No more positive posts as our are not noticed.

truefire7

quality posts: 3 Private Messages truefire7
jiggersgreen wrote:Would one of these be a good upgrade from my Viewsonic gTablet?

My brother has a gtablet. My biggest problem with his is the awful viewing angles, which the touchpad doesn't suffer from. Other than that, there isn't a large difference at all.

kle11az

quality posts: 3 Private Messages kle11az
mrahn wrote:IMO, Woot! Has some of the best Customer Service around. Period.

I totally agree - Woot's customer service staff have always been helpful and timely in their responses. The MVD staff could learn a thing or two from the Woot team!

bpeterson82

quality posts: 52 Private Messages bpeterson82
wootchawant wrote:in case anyone is still reading this forum, here's a link to the touchpad case i own and love: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005MLJ0LW/ref=oh_o00_s00_i00_details

enjoy...

Just bought this off buy.com for $10 (with shipping!)