dtcbob

quality posts: 4 Private Messages dtcbob
InFrom wrote:Given that this device is meant to be connected to a network, let's have another reason! I'd be curious to know if there's a similar app for Web OS.

This product is meant to be connected to a wifi network, not a cell network. It has no SIM capabilities. Like I said, their may be a way to make it work thru wifi location, but no chance thru GPS or cell signal. The program you linked to requires a cell network to send SMS messages to or the ability to sense SIM card changes, which the TP has neither of.

yufool

quality posts: 3 Private Messages yufool
crazydoglady wrote:Yay! I got one just before it sold out again. My job recently added security features to the internet system and I can no longer buy (or post) from work. I read the comments and did some research from work and had my fingers crossed that they would not be sold out when I got home -and they weren't!! Well, turns out that they were sold out for awhile and then had more, so even better! Now I can bring it to work and I'll be able to woot from work again... bwaaa-haaa-haa-haaa!

Pretty cool-but I think you still have to work your way around the office firewall thru a proxy since there's no 3G.

lisaviolet

quality posts: 3 Private Messages lisaviolet
mindsplit wrote:Are you able to purchase? I keep getting" order denied"

Yes, I was able to get one.

Ah, I see you found out what the problem was. I'm sorry.

djp519

quality posts: 12 Private Messages djp519
yufool wrote:Really? Why not just pay slightly more and get the iPad2?

More than twice as much money is not "slightly more."

mindsplit

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mindsplit
lisaviolet wrote:Yes, I was able to get one.

Ah, I see you found out what the problem was. I'm sorry.

I feel bad for my wife. I asked her if she wanted to watch Netlfix on my Touchpad and she gave me a sad boxer puppy face.

tom2step100

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tom2step100
Trey151 wrote:http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/product.jsp?productId=prod3900226 sams for 149.00

These items are displayed on the site for your information and as a chance for you to learn more about the items that are offered at Sam's Club. All of these items may not be in all Club locations nationwide but are in at least some Sam's Club locations. Please check with your local Club for exact availability of the items.

fmcwoot

quality posts: 7 Private Messages fmcwoot
tom2step100 wrote:These items are displayed on the site for your information and as a chance for you to learn more about the items that are offered at Sam's Club. All of these items may not be in all Club locations nationwide but are in at least some Sam's Club locations. Please check with your local Club for exact availability of the items.

And how is that not exactly false advertizing by Sam's. You couldn't post that in the daily newspaper and get away with it. Could ya? Do their stores bounce up and down when they're getting low on stock?? No they do not!! Woot is so much better than Sam's (Walmart).

MichXelle

quality posts: 37 Private Messages MichXelle
lisaviolet wrote:Well, after being told "no" on buying one this morning, then having to take one of our older cats in to be euthanised (kidney failure), when I came home, it was sold out.

Then I cried a little, missing Benny, read my Woot! Kindle a little, slept a little, came back to Woot! to look at the HP Touchpad that I wished I could have bought earlier, just to see that it was still available. I said something to DH that Woot! has never restocked like this and he said "then you'd better go ahead and get it".

A bright spot in a sad day for me.

I'm sorry you lost Benny today. Your tablet was sent to you by Benny, not a bit of doubt in my mind. My deceased relatives and dogs always send me signs. Benny sent you a sign along with something that I never recall happening on Woot either.

R.I.P. Benny. He'll be with you the rest of your life in all of the good memories.

OVER 550 W00T CARTFULS as of 06/25/14. You're killing us with some wonderful items W000T!

OVER 8 years on W00T shopping and The W00T Forum, since 02/06 with now a whopping 34 Quality Posts L-M-A-O! We do post quality information as do others that isn't recognized. Thanks for the 3 in 1 entire week! We're humbled. 3 additional noticed in 3 months. No more positive posts as our are not noticed.

fmcwoot

quality posts: 7 Private Messages fmcwoot
lisaviolet wrote:Well, after being told "no" on buying one this morning, then having to take one of our older cats in to be euthanised (kidney failure), when I came home, it was sold out.

Then I cried a little, missing Benny, read my Woot! Kindle a little, slept a little, came back to Woot! to look at the HP Touchpad that I wished I could have bought earlier, just to see that it was still available. I said something to DH that Woot! has never restocked like this and he said "then you'd better go ahead and get it".

A bright spot in a sad day for me.

That was a very sweet story, Lisa. Thanks for sharing.

johns43

quality posts: 0 Private Messages johns43
fmcwoot wrote:Yup, he definitly should have waited.

I paid over $800 for my first VCR -- and it was a Betamax! (And I still have it.)

InFrom

quality posts: 31 Private Messages InFrom
dtcbob wrote:This product is meant to be connected to a wifi network, not a cell network. It has no SIM capabilities. Like I said, their may be a way to make it work thru wifi location, but no chance thru GPS or cell signal.

True, this device can't be found via GPS -- no cell network, no GPS. I get it. However my question was simply whether there was any tracking software, similar to Find My iPhone, for the Touchpad.

It was nice of you to take the time to post a reply, but given that you didn't have any concrete information to contribute, it's not clear what your motive was in posting. Part of me tends to see it as an urge to be negative. However I'm going to listen to my better angels, chalk it up to an urge to be helpful, and thank you for your efforts.

Happily, now we are aware of Android software that will work via wifi. So it appears that potentially this device, if lost or stolen, could be found. I find that encouraging.

MichXelle

Trey151 wrote:http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/product.jsp?productId=prod3900226 sams for 149.00

It also says in rainbow brite red.

Note: Not available for individual sale

Where and how you people find these screwed up deals while a great one is sitting right in front of you is amazing. If I were looking to buy in bulk to resell, I would have opened loads of accounts on Woot and more checking accounts then those Woot accounts. Thanks but no thanks.

OVER 550 W00T CARTFULS as of 06/25/14. You're killing us with some wonderful items W000T!

OVER 8 years on W00T shopping and The W00T Forum, since 02/06 with now a whopping 34 Quality Posts L-M-A-O! We do post quality information as do others that isn't recognized. Thanks for the 3 in 1 entire week! We're humbled. 3 additional noticed in 3 months. No more positive posts as our are not noticed.

dtcbob

quality posts: 4 Private Messages dtcbob
InFrom wrote:True, this device can't be found via GPS -- no cell network, no GPS. I get it. However my question was simply whether there was any tracking software, similar to Find My iPhone, for the Touchpad.

It was nice of you to take the time to post a reply, but given that you didn't have any concrete information to contribute, it's not clear what your motive was in posting. Part of me tends to see it as an urge to be negative. However I'm going to listen to my better angels, chalk it up to an urge to be helpful, and thank you for your efforts.

Happily, now we are aware of Android software that will work via wifi. So it appears that potentially this device, if lost or stolen, could be found. I find that encouraging.

I was/am trying to be helpful. I am trying to explain to you that the software you linked will not work as you are saying on a TP with Android on it. I was stating the "concrete information" about the device and why it would not work assuming you knew how that app actually worked. I should of stated it in a way that related it more to the actual app. Without the SMS or SIM capability you can never activate the device to use the location services through that app. Other portions of the app may still work as I did not check the other features such as sending it a message or locking the device. I tried a few other similar android app products such as lookout and they are unable to use the location services as well. There maybe one out there that will work, I just have never seen it.

iGGz

quality posts: 7 Private Messages iGGz
InFrom wrote:Anyway, the article mentions another free program that has an Android version.

You may be talking about the app 'Where's my Droid' -I have it on my Android phone. I don't think it would work on the TP though because it requires you to send a text message to the device to activate it. However, they did just start a new thing for it where you can log into their website and see your device, so I'd be curious to see if that would work. You might as well check it out.

But it would definitely be nice if there were some type of app that could locate the general vicinity using the wifi connection.

i am woot's god.

You're the giant Ken Jennings head? HOW DID YOU GET OUT?

InFrom

quality posts: 31 Private Messages InFrom
dtcbob wrote:I was/am trying to be helpful. I am trying to explain to you that the software you linked will not work as you are saying on a TP with Android on it. I was stating the "concrete information" about the device and why it would not work assuming you knew how that app actually worked. I should of stated it in a way that related it more to the actual app. Without the SMS or SIM capability you can never activate the device to use the location services through that app. Other portions of the app may still work as I did not check the other features such as sending it a message or locking the device. I tried a few other similar android app products such as lookout and they are unable to use the location services as well. There maybe one out there that will work, I just have never seen it.

I haven't had a chance to try Prey, and I realize this is just their ad copy, but they claim "Prey uses either the device's GPS or the nearest WiFi hotspots to triangulate and grab a fix on its location. It's shockingly accurate." That NY Times writer did sound impressed, but I guess I should poke around online for some further reviews. Thanks.

MichXelle

kle11az wrote:I totally agree - Woot's customer service staff have always been helpful and timely in their responses. The MVD staff could learn a thing or two from the Woot team!

I assume you mean Motor Vehicle. If so, I can't agree with you more. It's been privatized in my state for a number of years and it s-cks even more in the years since it became so.

eblade

quality posts: 2 Private Messages eblade

Android runs fine on the TouchPad -- however, Android -really- sucks in comparison to the ease of use and operation of webOS.

If there's something you can't live without in the Android market (which the terribleness of the Android Market App might make that pretty difficult to -locate- anything you can't live without), go ahead and install it as a dual-boot configuration (the CM people don't support anything -but- a dual boot configuration).

However, I think the vast majority of people tend to find that webOS is a great way to work. I have an iPad 2, and 3 TouchPads. One of the TouchPads stays booted to CM9 ICS, but the only things that the iPad or Android -ever- get used for are (a) Words with Friends (b) Netflix (c) Splashtop X-Display. The rest of the time, they are just sitting there waiting for me to deploy development code to them.

For everything else, I use webOS. The slogan "it works the way you do" is pretty damn accurate. Everyone seems to be quite able to figure out the majority of operations in webOS in no time flat -- even my 70 year old father who can barely read, and -hates- computers was just totally flabbergasted by how easy it is to operate webOS.

* Disclaimer: I'm an app developer for iOS, Android, and webOS. Developing apps is amazingly easy in webOS, and it's what got me into it. The money that I've made with just a single app in webOS has financed the purchase of all of my mobile devices, and turned a rather tidy profit on top of that as well, which went into getting setup with development tools for the other platforms, where I am now porting my apps to. webOS is absolutely #1 in my book, though. No cost of entry whatsoever, and anyone with a text-editor and knowledge of HTML and javascrapt can build an app. And I started without the javascrapt knowledge!

MichXelle

Kudos

President of Woot, Dave Rutledge and staff do a damn good job!

eblade

quality posts: 2 Private Messages eblade
Roostalee wrote:I have one too, and I like it, but I noticed mine is developing cracks on the back around the speaker ports and the USB port. Turns out it's pretty common. Just FYI to any prospective buyers.

You can of course, call up HP support, and send it in for warranty repair.

GenMischief

quality posts: 7 Private Messages GenMischief

Dear Beloved Woot,

Must you continue to taunt me with the HP touchpad? I was unable to buy one on the first fire sale. When they cleared them on ebay just af ew months ago, I spent three hours utterly failing to purchase one because EBAY of all places didn't have the server power. And now, NOW when they are here on my beloved woot, I find myself with a recently unemployed spouse and all of the responsibility for the household bills my sole burden...

"He tasks me, he tasks me and I shall have him!" I know how Kahn felt. And TouchPads are a device best served cold! Captain Ahab understands my requiring, chasing a device that has transcended the legendary and entered on the fringe of mythical.

It crushes my soul a little every time. I am the man in the box.

-Jim

PS, the lady who lost her cat totally deserves it more than me. Good for her for choosing to make the buy.

gerudox

quality posts: 1 Private Messages gerudox

For those with charging issue, make sure the prong part of the plug is installed correctly. A lot (including mine) shipped with loose plugs, just a good twist will reengage the contacts and good to go!

chrisintheq

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chrisintheq
drameden wrote:I got one on the $149 blowout, too, and I love, but it is a little unfair to complain that Woot is charging more than that. When HP dumped inventory, it was more like a Black Friday special. Heck, some folks bought all they could charge on their credit cards and were reselling on ebay for nearly $300.

The correct comparison is what other tablets can you get for $219 that have similar build quality? And frankly, I like the WebOS much better than the ipad.

I like this person's comment. I have been reading thru these comments and have been more and more dismayed at the amount of nay-saying going on. I understand there are people who had it and didn't like it. That's cool...but it ticks me off the amount of people who haven't used it at all, or are just posting all this negative stuff based on the stupid firesale price. Why do so many people not realize that that was a special deal?? It was limited and it's over. This is still a great deal...and MANY, many people dig the WebOS. I have watched quite a few YouTube videos of it and I think it's pretty awesome-looking. I can't wait to get mine and try it out in person...and I think this is a great price. As for it not having 50,000 apps available...well, I don't need 50,000 apps. For big office-type projects and the PhotoShop stuff or other more major things I need to do, I have my real computer(s) for those. I don't want to do that on a tablet anyway. I'm excited about finding this deal & I think it's a GREAT WOOT!

You can't compare it to that special firesale deal...and I'm not concerned about it being refurbished either. I just think it's rude to try to imply that someone's dumb for buying it at this price just because. Shame on you.

Editing to add this link...came here to post this link in the first place and then forgot! This is an article where this dude writes a really disparaging article on the TP and everyone in the world replied back in opposition: http://www.extremetech.com/mobile/108481-why-you-should-steer-clear-of-the-99-hp-touchpad#

chrisintheq

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chrisintheq

Also, to GenMischief: KHAAAAAAANNNNNNNNN!!!!

And I am about to get a tattoo memorializing my own kitties and dog...so my heart goes out to the lady who lost her cat as well. I am so sorry for your loss...and I'm glad you were able to get the TouchPad! Put Benny's pic up as your wallpaper!! <3

ross1962

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ross1962
Bealz wrote:Can't justify buying a no longer supported refurb when the K-fire is out there now, new.

Who says it's not supported? No longer made doesn't mean not supported.

neseattle

quality posts: 7 Private Messages neseattle
quartermane wrote:Used electronics appreciate over time like perishables such as milk and cabbage. I have a whole box of priceless electronic heirlooms I could let you have for their original purchase price alone. Also inquire about 1 (one) slighly used bridge.

I have a Powermac 9600 350Mhz $4500 cash takes it!

How did I get here?

http://www.funnytimes.com/cartoons.php?cotw_id=20090923

DonKudler

quality posts: 4 Private Messages DonKudler

I know it's a bit late. Just bought an HP Touchstone charger ($40) and folio/stand ($20) at Office Depot.

sup68396

quality posts: 20 Private Messages sup68396

I missed the shipping section when I ordered mine. Are these going to be delivered via SmartPost or FedEx?

Keep on Wooting !!!

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 554 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

sup68396 wrote:I missed the shipping section when I ordered mine. Are these going to be delivered via SmartPost or FedEx?

No problem. You can always get back to the blog from the first post of the thread.

However, this one doesn't say so I'm assuming it's being drop-shipped from the vendor. Most likely FedEx Ground but I'm not positive. As in, that's not a promise. Like, don't hold me to it.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

buccigrossi3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages buccigrossi3
jefffurry wrote:Too easy. Yeah, I thought about it. I looked at the 16GB version on sellout.woot, and was kinda sad when it sold out, so I came back to this one. And I slept on it.

I have a Viewsonic gTablet that I've rooted and upgraded with a new ROM, and while I like it, the screen has a very narrow vertical viewing angle that gets kind of annoying. And, well, it's really my wife's.

So I clicked buy it, and entered my magic credit card code, and clicked go, and I'm $225 poorer and soon to be one HP tablet richer. Too easy.

has yours shipped yet?

thebeak69

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thebeak69
buccigrossi3 wrote:has yours shipped yet?

Well, mine has not shipped yet. I'm assuming none have shipped?
I was hoping (silly me) I'd have it by Wednesday this week before a trip I'm going on. Ah well, at least I'm getting one.

byrnek

quality posts: 0 Private Messages byrnek

Mine hasn't shipped yet either -_-

slowboiled

quality posts: 0 Private Messages slowboiled

First Woot! in three years...I'm a die-hard WebOS user and didn't get in on the fire sale. I'm 36yo and I feel like a 10yo on xmas morning ready to barrel down the hall way to the presents....Love.This.Woot!

thelern

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thelern

Mine has not shipped yer either. Hopefully they ship soon.

jimmyjoecom

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jimmyjoecom
thelern wrote:Mine has not shipped yer either. Hopefully they ship soon.

Where are you guys seeing status of your order? Mine isn't showing up in my list of 40 woots.

I bought the 16gb version over at sellout. Would that be any different?

jimmyjoecom

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jimmyjoecom
jimmyjoecom wrote:Where are you guys seeing status of your order? Mine isn't showing up in my list of 40 woots.

I bought the 16gb version over at sellout. Would that be any different?

nevermind guys i found it over at sellout. Mine hasn't shipped either.

sgm-co

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sgm-co

When are these bad boys going to ship? Now that I pulled the trigger I want mine yesterday!!!

avennite

quality posts: 0 Private Messages avennite

^^^ what he said

whatthefck

quality posts: 0 Private Messages whatthefck

Can someone confirm when these will ship and how fast is shipping?

mxmerce

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mxmerce
sgm-co wrote:When are these bad boys going to ship? Now that I pulled the trigger I want mine yesterday!!!

Me too!

njhern

quality posts: 0 Private Messages njhern

I haven't ordered a lot... maybe 5-6 things between woot and shirt woot, the status will change to "shipped" at the end of 5 business days, but the tracking information has never been updated/correct. I once received my package the same day they sent me my tracking #, other times it took over a week.