bounrith

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bounrith
poorhungrydoctor wrote:Man that walmart deal is just smoking!!!

I am not sure about that. I know some grandma could use that printer and that USB drive and you that case, but for about $40 more (the good printer) AND TAX here in California, I think one is buying more than one should. For that extra total of $80, I think one could do better against a particular need.

Full Disclosure: I bought this woot.

woottoady

quality posts: 34 Private Messages woottoady

This is a poor value. I bought a new Lenovo laptop before Christmas that has 500GB HDD and 4GB RAM, otherwise the same for 279.99.

I can't say that mine has a spill resistant keyboard, but otherwise its specs are equal or better than this units.

Pufferfishy

quality posts: 40 Private Messages Pufferfishy
JoeLE11 wrote:And the Lenovo keyboard is still unbeatable

Someone hand this guy a Toshiba Qosmio.

You've been put on posting probation for this post

bounrith

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bounrith
bruisedquasar wrote:IBM sold to Lenovo a FEW, not several, years ago and Lenovo made IBM laptops anyway. With few exceptions US laptops are made in China and other overseas places anyway. Since President Clinton, America is mostly a credit and consumer consumptions country with a lot of people on the dole, living on borrowed Chinese money.

If it wsn't for US military power, we would be speaking Mexican by now and be one big "banana" republic. 4 more years of foreigner Obama and USA will be a "banana" republic, ruled by the very rich and their puppet politicians. Whites will be doing drugs and most will be stoop laborers who play video games.

I think we are on the same page when it comes to Politics, but what does IBM sold its laptop biz to Lenovo has anything to do with Clinton or Bush. I think it is purely a biz decision that the margin is not in their favor and took away from their core competencies or focus.

In fact, I think you should talk Politics at reddit.com where there are like 9 Republicans against 5 billions Democrats, unless you are Ron Paul fan then you have like 58 friends there.

jmbunkin

quality posts: 28 Private Messages jmbunkin
bounrith wrote:I am not sure about that. I know some grandma could use that printer and that USB drive and you that case, but for about $40 more (the good printer) AND TAX here in California, I think one is buying more than one should. For that extra total of $80, I think one could do better against a particular need.

Full Disclosure: I bought this woot.

I'm not a grandma but that printer,a flash drive and a case for a penny sounds like a sweeter deal to me.

danbfree

quality posts: 3 Private Messages danbfree
zaynne wrote:WoW will probably run but not offer great performance. I don't recommend playing graphics intensive games on computers with integrated video cards. I'm far from an expert on video hardware, but I tried to play WoW on a laptop with integrated video a couple of years ago and was unhappy with the experience.

Just my two cents, YMMV.

Yes, this is all new technology and not comparable to 2 years ago... I AM a bit of an expert on computer hardware and the 6310 class graphics in this will actually play WoW just fine, just not with all the quality settings maxed out. But, you also would not want to try to play the very latest games on this either.

danbfree

quality posts: 3 Private Messages danbfree
woottoady wrote:This is a poor value. I bought a new Lenovo laptop before Christmas that has 500GB HDD and 4GB RAM, otherwise the same for 279.99.

I can't say that mine has a spill resistant keyboard, but otherwise its specs are equal or better than this units.

Is it an 11.6" ultra-portable dual-core that is 3 lbs. and gets 7.5 hours battery life and can play games decently? Don't think so, now go away before you sound more stupid.

johnrpar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages johnrpar

I am replying to you right now on a T42P. This is the most trusty laptop I have ever owned. I still get 4+ hours on the original battery. I have dropped it, left the screen open (and the unit running) in the sun in 105+ temperatures for an entire day, and left in in a leaky trunk in cold where it actually had a veneer of ice over it. Still runs great. I think the "T" in T42 stands for tank.

wootscootboogey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wootscootboogey
johnrpar wrote:I am replying to you right now on a T42P. This is the most trusty laptop I have ever owned. I still get 4+ hours on the original battery. I have dropped it, left the screen open (and the unit running) in the sun in 105+ temperatures for an entire day, and left in in a leaky trunk in cold where it actually had a veneer of ice over it. Still runs great. I think the "T" in T42 stands for tank.

Remind me to never lend you my laptop. You're brutal.

zorro869

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zorro869

This is a laptop. Those are tablets. Do you seriously not know the difference?

zorro869

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zorro869
bounrith wrote:I think we are on the same page when it comes to Politics, but what does IBM sold its laptop biz to Lenovo has anything to do with Clinton or Bush. In fact, I think you should talk Politics at reddit.com where there are like 9 Republicans against 5 billions Democrats, unless you are Ron Paul fan then you have like 58 friends there.

Oh cool. Birthers. /facepalm

jhgrant

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jhgrant

I have used this model for about 8 months. It is the best PC I could ever have bought. Extremely durable and powerful. You just need to be careful about protecting Windows 7, which is vulnerable online.

keriah

quality posts: 2 Private Messages keriah

Why is this Amazon-listed item -- http://amzn.to/xZmS7V -- showing a weight just over 5 lbs. while this one is listed at just over 3 lbs.? I don't spot, in the 2 spec. sets, what the difference is.

redrotors

quality posts: 2 Private Messages redrotors
reservoird wrote:One thing to note: think pad keyboards have a non-standard layout for the left-side control and function keys. Rather than have the control key in the corner, the function key is there, with the control key to its right. These keys are flipped compared to all other Windows keyboards I've used.

We are humans; we adapt. But you've been warned, so I don't want to see any yapping about this down the line.

You can fix this in bios then swap the keys, easy peasy fix

poorhungrydoctor

quality posts: 7 Private Messages poorhungrydoctor
keriah wrote:Why is this Amazon-listed item -- http://amzn.to/xZmS7V -- showing a weight just over 5 lbs. while this one is listed at just over 3 lbs.? I don't spot, in the 2 spec. sets, what the difference is.

Great observation! I would take a screenshot of the woot specification now. If the laptop weighs more than 3.3 pounds with the 6-cell battery, I think it would be wise to return it. There is a huge difference between 3.3 pounds and 5 pounds, which obviously factors into the cost of this laptop.

redrotors

quality posts: 2 Private Messages redrotors
keriah wrote:Why is this Amazon-listed item -- http://amzn.to/xZmS7V -- showing a weight just over 5 lbs. while this one is listed at just over 3 lbs.? I don't spot, in the 2 spec. sets, what the difference is.

Shipping weight vs. laptop weight. Discussed early on in this discussion.

All the reviews list it at 3.xx lbs. w/6cell batt.

jseureau

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jseureau

I'm going into an engineering program next semester and I need a new computer. Can anyone tell me if this is a good deal?

http://www.frys.com/product/6937367?site=sa:adpages page:fri_pg8

zkentvt

quality posts: 2 Private Messages zkentvt

The function key in the lower-left is a deal breaker for me. I had one of these for work once and I spent all day fussing at the fact I was pressing the Fn button instead of CTRL for copy and paste operations. Very annoying.

pcjabber

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pcjabber
zkentvt wrote:The function key in the lower-left is a deal breaker for me. I had one of these for work once and I spent all day fussing at the fact I was pressing the Fn button instead of CTRL for copy and paste operations. Very annoying.

As redrotors mentioned above, you can swap the CTRL & Fn keys' purpose in the BIOS.

I think this is a feature on some (all?) recent ThinkPads, but anyway, it's definitely there on the X120e w/ BIOS v1.16. I think I swapped my keys within the first 15 minutes of owning it :-p

hens4th

quality posts: 1 Private Messages hens4th

for those who missed it, same price and it includes a case, printer, and flash drive...http://slickdeals.net/f/3880054-Thinkpad-X120E-Laptop-Bundle-340-Walmart-inc-Printer-Case-4gb-flash-drive-FSS

johnsonium

quality posts: 6 Private Messages johnsonium
rdme790 wrote:So half the people are comparing single core (like the Walmart one) to dual core.

The Wal-Mart one I linked has identical specs and is definitely dual-core. It was $300 last week.

jnevil

quality posts: 967 Private Messages jnevil

**Shipping Update**

Lenovo ThinkPad Dual-Core Notebook with 11.6” LED Display has completely shipped via FEDEX SMART POST. All tracking has already been emailed out. You can also find your tracking number by following this link and use your ORDER NUMBER as the reference number.

FEDEX TRACKING

keriah

quality posts: 2 Private Messages keriah
redrotors wrote:Shipping weight vs. laptop weight.

Ah, but the Amazon item (at the URL in my original question) did NOT have that as the shipping weight -- the 5+ lbs. was part of the specs. for the item itself (unless you're saying that the dimensions given immediately above the weight ("Size (LWH)") are the dimensions of the shipping box and not of the computer -- doubtful).

redrotors wrote:Discussed early on in this discussion.

Before I asked, I searched the 5 pages for "weight" ... didn't spot it discussed. Can you please point me to this earlier discussion? I'd like to get the right picture, in case this comes up again in a future WOOT. Thx.!

tupaY2J

quality posts: 3 Private Messages tupaY2J

Just got mine in the mail! Super impressed with the keyboard. And HDMI out. I love this thing already.

rdme790

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rdme790

I like to throw out a "now I've used it long enough" review:

I have not been trying to play any heavy duty games or any push it to the limit stuff. So take these comments for what they're worth.

Screen is fine (small - but that's what I bought). The unit works fine with my 22" LCD monitor.

Keyboard is fine. I was a little worried when I first saw it, it has the look of the old chicklet keyboards, but it types fine and the size works for me. Page up and down are a bit small but ok.

Plays video ok. Have not plugged it into a TV yet, should do that to test, but I use another unit and just haven't bothered.

Trackpoint (eraser head) works great. Turned off the pad (always do).

Ports, hibernation, function keys, BIOS, etc. all do what I want.

In general, the unit is great (for what it is & what I bought it for).

Negatives:

What I miss on the unit most is a built in fingerprint reader, got spoiled on my previous Thinkpads.

I'd like a nice little flap for the web-cam, I like a physical block on those... I made a kludge for it, but if I was making web-cams I'd just make that a standard.

A certain amount of bloat-ware, but hey, that's the way it is these days.

Pretty much all my other complaints are with Windows 7: The whole administrator doesn't have administrator rights thing. The junky search function. etc. etc. But that ain't the units fault. I have to diddle the registry and such on all the Windows 7 units I deal with.

So, for me, a good unit.