tomduff87

quality posts: 8 Private Messages tomduff87

I am seriously considering buying one of these, but I'm worried about the noise in an apartment environment...have any other apartment-dwelling Wooters used a Neato, and are these things so loud as to warrant complaints from your neighbors? I suppose if I schedule it to run while I'm at work say around noon every day, people won't complain...

Goosedude

quality posts: 9 Private Messages Goosedude

I would get this if I hadn't already found a great place to get affordable ROOMBA replacement batteries.

I have read that the best combo is to have a NEATO and a ROOMBA.....

-------------
WOOT! WOOOOT!!

roadhunter

quality posts: 14 Private Messages roadhunter

I can fill up a Dyson with dog hair in 5 minutes. This unit simply isn't physically large enough to vacuum unattended.

roadhunter

quality posts: 14 Private Messages roadhunter
Goosedude wrote:I would get this if I hadn't already found a great place to get affordable ROOMBA replacement batteries.

I have read that the best combo is to have a NEATO and a ROOMBA.....

And, what would that source be? I have a Roomba I need batteries for so I can sell it on eBay to help pay of my Dyson.

blipper67

quality posts: 7 Private Messages blipper67

The cleaning power of the Neato is second to none! I can vacuum with my expensive German Miele cleaner, run the Neato, and the bin is half full. It also raises the carpet nap to where it looks brand new. Methodical too, as it overlaps room runs about 1/2" and goes end to end after doing the perimeter. Handles chairs and rug fringe just fine and with the new software update it can do spot cleaning and other stuff. Super easy to clean with no brushes to worry about.

This is a REAL bargain price. I paid close to $400 for mine about a year ago.

yrguide

quality posts: 5 Private Messages yrguide
tomduff87 wrote:I am seriously considering buying one of these, but I'm worried about the noise in an apartment environment...have any other apartment-dwelling Wooters used a Neato, and are these things so loud as to warrant complaints from your neighbors? I suppose if I schedule it to run while I'm at work say around noon every day, people won't complain...

It's quieter than a normal vacuum. We haven't had any complaints, the only thing that gets a hint loud sometimes is occasionally you can hear the brush flaps making a motor boat noise.

That said, I don't advise trying to watch TV in the same room when it's vacuuming.

We schedule ours to run about an hour before we're expected home from work, that way when we walk in the doors the floors are freshly clean.

blipper67

quality posts: 7 Private Messages blipper67
tomduff87 wrote:I am seriously considering buying one of these, but I'm worried about the noise in an apartment environment...have any other apartment-dwelling Wooters used a Neato, and are these things so loud as to warrant complaints from your neighbors? I suppose if I schedule it to run while I'm at work say around noon every day, people won't complain...

Compared to most vacuums, not quite as loud.

ksheeha1

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ksheeha1

I will have to disagree. As an owner of 2 Neatos and many previous Roombas, the neato does a much better job of vacuuming. Plus there is far less maintenance. I'll take take the Neato over the Roomba anyday!!

olcubmaster

quality posts: 30 Private Messages olcubmaster

Does anyone have experience with the life span of the Neato batteries?

From my expereince the Roomba battery packs make it for about 9 months.

Roomba battery replacements are pricey. You can find reliable non-original Roomba battery options on ebay and save about 50%, but even still you'll be buying a new one in about 9 months...if the Roomba doesn't have a mechanical issue by then.

Sugar 'em up and send 'em home

sarabarrette

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sarabarrette

I love my roomba....but you guys have talked me into one of these....can't wait to start it up and race the roomba!

yrguide

olcubmaster wrote:Does anyone have experience with the life span of the Neato batteries?

From my expereince the Roomba battery packs make it for about 9 months.

Roomba battery replacements are pricey. You can find reliable non-original Roomba battery options on ebay and save about 50%, but even still you'll be buying a new one in about 9 months...if the Roomba doesn't have a mechanical issue by then.

I think I saw somewhere Neato claiming a 1 year to 2 year life span depending on frequency of use. Use daily and you're on the low end.

Amazon has the replacement battery at $49.

yrguide

LASERS!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pw5sDsjCio&feature=player_embedded

Night vision video of the Neato laser mapping a room.

ragordy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ragordy

Roomba has suction also, and does a great job with dust/pet hair/et al.--we, as great as a small vac with a small collection bin can do. I've owned three also and all were great.

To say that the Roomba "only has a brush" is not true.

I've never used this vac, but in every comparison I've seen, the Roomba line performs better than the others in contention.

crates

quality posts: 3 Private Messages crates

"Thompson is 6'8", 250 points..."

Any Scrabble nerd can tell you that the most you'll ever get for "Thompson" is 95 points. Well, plus however many points you get if you create a second (or more) words at the same time... but there's no WAY you're getting up to 250.

= T + H + O + M + P + S + O + N
= 1 + 4 + 1 + 3 + 3 + 1 + 1 + 1
= 15 x 3 (triple word score applied once)
= 45 + 50 point bonus
= 95

Owner of Athames.com Metaphysical Wholesalers.
(That's not advertising; it's simply a fact.)

djgio1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages djgio1

I saw the question posed, but didn't see an answer. How does this thing deal with rug fringes? First had experience?

It is definitely a buy - no buy factor. Thanks

crates

quality posts: 3 Private Messages crates
crates wrote:"Thompson is 6'8", 250 points..."

Any Scrabble nerd can tell you that the most you'll ever get for "Thompson" is 95 points.

(Moreover, it's a proper noun, so you really shouldn't even be allowed to use it all ALL. Sheesh.)

Owner of Athames.com Metaphysical Wholesalers.
(That's not advertising; it's simply a fact.)

yrguide

djgio1 wrote:I saw the question posed, but didn't see an answer. How does this thing deal with rug fringes? First had experience?

It is definitely a buy - no buy factor. Thanks

It was answered but it all depends on the length of your fringe baby (sorry, wildly inappropriate).

Essentially short fringe shouldn't be an issue...long fringe will be. If you wouldn't run a regular vacuum over your fringe then this will also likely get tangled up.

I have an area rug that's simply edged and there's no problem.

ggrote

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ggrote

Used to own two Roombas (scheduler models), but they got old and they went through batteries fast ... and they didn't really work as well in our new house, which has a very open floorplan ... and I was intrigued by the possibility of a more "intelligent" robot, one that doesn't use brownian motion logic to clean my floors.

We've had an XV-11 for over a year and we're very pleased. It cleans well on all sorts of surfaces (but get as deep as a full-sized vacuum on carpet) ... ours cleans about 1200 sq ft ... tile, hardwoods, and a variety of rugs, including a large bound carpet on a thick horsehair pad in the living room. We're still on the original battery, and it usually does the entire job on a single charge.

I love the logic it uses ... it identifies a room, goes around the perimeter, and then sweeps back and forth across the middle ... then it moves on to the next room ... in open floorplans like ours, it breaks the area up into "rooms" automatically and uses the same process.

I must admit that I didn't even know there was an XV-12 available, let alone that it was $100 less than the XV-11 ... we don't really need another one, but I'm going to check it out anyway!

"If you're not having fun, lower your standards."

yrguide

ggrote wrote:Used to own two Roombas (scheduler models), but they got old and they went through batteries fast ... and they didn't really work as well in our new house, which has a very open floorplan ... and I was intrigued by the possibility of a more "intelligent" robot, one that doesn't use brownian motion logic to clean my floors.

We've had an XV-11 for over a year and we're very pleased. It cleans well on all sorts of surfaces (but get as deep as a full-sized vacuum on carpet) ... ours cleans about 1200 sq ft ... tile, hardwoods, and a variety of rugs, including a large bound carpet on a thick horsehair pad in the living room. We're still on the original battery, and it usually does the entire job on a single charge.

I love the logic it uses ... it identifies a room, goes around the perimeter, and then sweeps back and forth across the middle ... then it moves on to the next room ... in open floorplans like ours, it breaks the area up into "rooms" automatically and uses the same process.

I must admit that I didn't even know there was an XV-12 available, let alone that it was $100 less than the XV-11 ... we don't really need another one, but I'm going to check it out anyway!

The XV-12 is exactly the same model as the XV-11 only in a different color.

I am absolutely obsessed with my neato, abnormally so which is why I keep answering all of these questions.

wheelmans

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wheelmans

I am looking for a replacement for my Roomba. I like the idea of not having to remove pet hair from the brush.

I actually still have one of the old Roomba's without the charging base (you have to plug in the barrel charging connector). I've had to crawl under the bed on more than one occasion to retrieve the unit for recharging and once because the bin was full. This should be a very nice upgrade.

gftitan

quality posts: 1 Private Messages gftitan

I have two Chows and the Roomba didn't last two weeks before it got boxed up and sent back. The biggest issue is, it was to smart for it's own good. It filled up quick and needed to be "serviced" way to often. Meaning, I had to clean it out every time it ran and the amount of hair caught in the wheels and bearings was enough to drive you crazy! I loved the concept of it, great for short hair doge and cats or no pets at all, but you're better off with a Dyson (or other pet version vacuum), which is what we did, and using it daily before you spend the money on this and get extremely frustrated!

yrguide

gftitan wrote:I have two Chows and the Roomba didn't last two weeks before it got boxed up and sent back. The biggest issue is, it was to smart for it's own good. It filled up quick and needed to be "serviced" way to often. Meaning, I had to clean it out every time it ran and the amount of hair caught in the wheels and bearings was enough to drive you crazy! I loved the concept of it, great for short hair doge and cats or no pets at all, but you're better off with a Dyson (or other pet version vacuum), which is what we did, and using it daily before you spend the money on this and get extremely frustrated!

Perhaps you should consider running the vac more often?

If you have two dogs and only run it twice a week the bin is going to fill up quick. We have no pets and about 1000sq ft and after about 3 days (running daily) the bin is about ready to be emptied.

That said, the Neato brush is superior to the Roomba brush in that hair rarely gets tangled up in it. The only servicing I need to do to the Neato is emptying the bin. The Neato and Roomba are two very different beasts and comparing the performance on your Roomba to this vacuum is unfair when they are two very different machines.

seahokedrama

quality posts: 30 Private Messages seahokedrama

COOL! I was planning on getting my wife a vacuum cleaner for Valentines day. That or some fancy laundry detergent. Nothing says I "love you honey" like a Neato. (other than a Hallmark card that says "I love you honey" I suppose)

I don't think this will arrive in time with smartpost though so I'll have to settle for fancy laundry detergent. Something in a fancy jug.

Anyone know- will this arrive in time for V day?

ggrote

yrguide wrote:LASERS!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pw5sDsjCio&feature=player_embedded

Night vision video of the Neato laser mapping a room.

That's a great video! It shows the robot checking out the area and deciding which area to do first, then starting to clean the perimeter. It also shows that the XV-11/12 can't "see" anything that it's laser doesn't hit, so it will still sometimes bump into skinny (and, in my experience, black) objects.

dragoonvengance

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dragoonvengance

xv-11 vs xv-12 : same product different color

jyoon8

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jyoon8

It looks like people are excited about the unit but I wanted to give another perspective. I purchased one from Neato (XV-11) for my mother last Christmas (2010). We ended up returning our 3rd unit yesterday for a complete refund. Now it should be said that Neato customer service (which is actually a service provider for shipping and tech support...not actually Neato) is very responsive and always happy to send out a new unit. Unfortunately, after the 3rd unit we just no longer had faith that we would ever get a unit that worked correctly.

The appeal to the Neato laser mapping vs. the Roomba "scavenger algorithm" was that it was supposed to cut down on cleaning time. Yet, my friend with Roombs never complain that their robot does not get the job done. With the Neato there were instances where it could not find its base, where it said it could not progress due to a blockage in the middle of an empty floor, and where even after being carried to its base it could not link up for charging.

I really wish that the Neato worked the way it is outlined on the website, but unfortunately we found that was not the case (at least with our units). I'm off to buy a Roomba (hopefully woot! will make up with iRobot and I can buy one on here...)

ggrote

olcubmaster wrote:Does anyone have experience with the life span of the Neato batteries? [snip]

We've had ours for a bit over a year, and it runs twice a week, covering about 1200 sq ft. That seems to be right at the limit for a single charge, because it usually completes the job in one charge ... but occasionally will have to return to base for a recharge and then go finish the last little bit. I've seen no difference in performance yet (e.g., the last time it ran while we were home, it completed the whole job in one charge).

Shawn999

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Shawn999

An Affair to Remember - Oh Woot! overlords, how could you? My harem of 6 i-Roombas has been weeping all morning. 2012 has truly bought the end of the world for them. And so close to Valentine's Day. How cruel!

ScottnKatiesDad

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ScottnKatiesDad
bigray57 wrote:Recently, America's Test Kitchen did a comparison of the Roomba and it's competitors, and the Roomba beat ALL OF THEM!!!

I've had Roombas for many years - at least 6 different models - and now have 2 XV-11s. I also have a long haired dog and 2 cats, and the problem with the roomba is that I have to clean the hair out of the brush mechanisms after each use. I've been running the oldest Neato daily for several months now and it has NEVER needed cleaning. I just empty the dust bin and it's good to go. NO CONTEST when it comes to dealing with pet hair IMHO. The Neato is what robotic vacuums are supposed to be.

jkinzel

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jkinzel

According to one of the reviews on Amazon it "lifts itself up" to go from hardwoods to carpets automatically.

ggrote

jyoon8 wrote:[snip]With the Neato there were instances where it could not find its base, where it said it could not progress due to a blockage in the middle of an empty floor, and where even after being carried to its base it could not link up for charging. [snip]

Yep ... ours will do that once in a while, although it hasn't had a case of invisible blockage since the firmware update ... but we did come home to find it sitting silently just two feet in front of its base, apparently having completely run out of juice during docking.

But those cases are infrequent ... and considering that the XV roams all over the house and can still (almost) always find its way back, I think the technology still trumps the Roombas that we've owned (which we had to keep penned up in limited areas with virtual walls, and which only found their base when they just happened to pass within hailing distance of it).

martymfla

quality posts: 0 Private Messages martymfla

I see a roomba vs. Neato PAY-PER-View in our future.

ggrote

jkinzel wrote:According to one of the reviews on Amazon it "lifts itself up" to go from hardwoods to carpets automatically.

Yeah, but it's not like it's a low rider with air shocks or anything. It climbs MUCH better than our Roombas could, which is usually a good thing. Our living room rug is very thick ... and our Roombas just bounced off it or got hung up ... the XV-11 can sometimes just drive straight up, but if not, it backs up and tries at an angle, and if that doesn't work it turns around and backs up onto the rug, and then spins around and picks up where it left off. Sorta fun to watch.

The down side to this agility is that it might be able to climb up into areas where it shouldn't go. We have one of those black leather swivel chairs with a round base that's made from about 1" round tubing, and the XV-11 can climb right up on top of that base and will sometimes get hung up on it.

gramasheemie

quality posts: 1 Private Messages gramasheemie

Can anyone tell me if the neeto would really get messed up if it came accross a 'puddle' on the floor?

gftitan

quality posts: 1 Private Messages gftitan
yrguide wrote:Perhaps you should consider running the vac more often?

If you have two dogs and only run it twice a week the bin is going to fill up quick. We have no pets and about 1000sq ft and after about 3 days (running daily) the bin is about ready to be emptied.

That said, the Neato brush is superior to the Roomba brush in that hair rarely gets tangled up in it. The only servicing I need to do to the Neato is emptying the bin. The Neato and Roomba are two very different beasts and comparing the performance on your Roomba to this vacuum is unfair when they are two very different machines.

I did run it every day on the scheduler. That's why it got old having to clean it out every single day and clean the brushes daily as well. Sometimes it would run while we were out and it would stop before it even finished a room because it needed to be emptied and cleaned. Nothing beats an upright (Dyson) when you have long haired dogs and cats! Trust me, I would have loved to have kept it, but it wasn't practical for our situation!

yrguide

gftitan wrote:I did run it every day on the scheduler. That's why it got old having to clean it out every single day and clean the brushes daily as well. Sometimes it would run while we were out and it would stop before it even finished a room because it needed to be emptied and cleaned. Nothing beats an upright (Dyson) when you have long haired dogs and cats! Trust me, I would have loved to have kept it, but it wasn't practical for our situation!

Well, nothing beats an upright Dyson period but that sort of defeats the purpose of having a robot vac. Are my floors as clean as if I took the upright to them every day? Meh, probably not but are they 99% as clean as taking the dyson to it with no effort on my part? I'd say yes.

Other pet owners have raved about their neatos:

ScottnKatiesDad wrote:I've had Roombas for many years - at least 6 different models - and now have 2 XV-11s. I also have a long haired dog and 2 cats, and the problem with the roomba is that I have to clean the hair out of the brush mechanisms after each use. I've been running the oldest Neato daily for several months now and it has NEVER needed cleaning. I just empty the dust bin and it's good to go. NO CONTEST when it comes to dealing with pet hair IMHO. The Neato is what robotic vacuums are supposed to be.

Check the amazon reviews, there are a lot of positives there when it comes to dealing with pet hair as well.

cemetary11

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cemetary11

Had the neato from hammmecher schlemmer at 400.00 while roomba decided to die aftrer two years. the neato lasted 3 days and went back. It kept telling me to call customer service. It seems as though the firmware update was the answer. Have had the replacement roomba for nine months and it has been FABULOUS. The key is the AEROVAC FILTER. If you have any petsThis is a MUST. Only have to empty dirt bin after cleaning and do the brushes about every two weeks. Before I had to clean the whole thing every time. Have white persian and 4 other occasional long hair cats Known as PUPPIES. Would give this Neato another go .If wishes were horses I would have BOTH.

Everbody

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Everbody

------------------------
Quid malmborg im Plano
------------------------

matt1976

quality posts: 10 Private Messages matt1976
poisonfreeg wrote:LOVE my in xv-11. best investment ive made in a while. have 3 dogs, cat, and a wife that all shed. makes my life so much easier. just use some common sense. dont expect it to go over terrain your normal vac shouldnt go over. roomba = the not so smart little brother

So many people fail to take the wife into account when looking at vacuums. I've got to take our Woot! supplied Dyson apart once a week to cut her hair off of the brush bar.

matt1976

quality posts: 10 Private Messages matt1976
poisonfreeg wrote:no no no.. i dont tell my wife...i SHOW her what happens to the dyson.

Quality post.