lmiyoshi

quality posts: 3 Private Messages lmiyoshi

I got an XV-11 as a gift. I love it so much that I gave my beloved Roomba to a friend because I wasn't using it anymore. Neato is more efficient and the hair doesn't tangle up the brush nearly as much/often. (Daughters with long hair and a dog)

My friend is very pleased with the Roomba, too. Win-win.

snokyguy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages snokyguy

anyone's cat deathly afraid of a normal vacuum? this any better? i don't want to have this run while I'm gone to work only to come home to see a cat scared and hiding in another room where it decided was close enough to it's litter box... it's happened before while steamcleaning for an hour in one room by the stairs(which lead to the litter box).

db ratings?

wolfwood316

quality posts: 8 Private Messages wolfwood316

I'm close to pulling the trigger on this one. I've got a Roomba 5xx that still works as intended, but I also have 2 cats. I haven't run Roomba in months because I got tired of plunging up to my elbows in cat hair and litter chalk every single time, just to clean out the wheel wells, bearings, and brushes. It was messy and disgusting, and certainly not any more convenient than pushing my upright around for 15 minutes.

chimpsnest

quality posts: 1 Private Messages chimpsnest

From the reviews I've read it's louder than a Roomba but quieter than a vacuum.

My cats are TERRIFIED of the vacuum, but the Roomba actually doesn't phase them AT ALL, which amazes me because nearly everything phases them, lol.

This, being louder, I will imagine will torture my kitties while it's operating - small price to pay for a swept floor :-) IMHO

I am better than everybody else!

chimpsnest

moogancrisp wrote:Does anyone know how this handles dark carpets? My Roomba quit whenever it hit the black carpet.

It's time for an equal opportunity vac. Me thinks your Roomba was racist!

selune13

quality posts: 3 Private Messages selune13
crates wrote:"Thompson is 6'8", 250 points..."

Any Scrabble nerd can tell you that the most you'll ever get for "Thompson" is 95 points. Well, plus however many points you get if you create a second (or more) words at the same time... but there's no WAY you're getting up to 250.

= T + H + O + M + P + S + O + N
= 1 + 4 + 1 + 3 + 3 + 1 + 1 + 1
= 15 x 3 (triple word score applied once)
= 45 + 50 point bonus
= 95

Hmm, actually, any Scrabble nerd can tell you that you can hit two Double Word spaces with that word and get 110 points (and, as stated by a previous person, it wouldn't count since it's proper).

ggrote

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ggrote
snokyguy wrote:anyone's cat deathly afraid of a normal vacuum? this any better? i don't want to have this run while I'm gone to work only to come home to see a cat scared and hiding in another room where it decided was close enough to it's litter box... it's happened before while steamcleaning for an hour in one room by the stairs(which lead to the litter box).

db ratings?

I haven't seen any actual db measurements, and in any case they would vary widely depending on the floor type and other environmental factors. But in general I would agree with chimpsnest ... on a hardwood floor it's a bit louder than a Roomba ... on carpet, not so much ... that's mostly because the beater bar thingy (technical term, sorry) makes a racket on hard surfaces (I believe someone else herein referred to it as a "motor boat sound") ... but it's definitely not as loud as our Hoover Windtunnel (yeah, I know ... I need to get a Dyson) ... and that makes it all the more eerie when it shuts down the vacuum at the end of the job and returns to base using just the drive motor ;-)

"If you're not having fun, lower your standards."

redfame

quality posts: 2 Private Messages redfame
Goosedude wrote:I would get this if I hadn't already found a great place to get affordable ROOMBA replacement batteries.

I have read that the best combo is to have a NEATO and a ROOMBA.....

I would be interested in hearing about this site you speak of.

mebekili

quality posts: 12 Private Messages mebekili

When someone comes up with one that after docking is raised up and dumps the dust bin into a larger container so that it can keep going without human intervention to deal with what's already been picked up -- that's the one I want to buy.

ggrote

moogancrisp wrote:Does anyone know how this handles dark carpets? My Roomba quit whenever it hit the black carpet.

I've heard of that, but have never experienced it ... it must just be certain colors.

We have one rug with some dark stripes in it, and the XV-11 hasn't had any issues, but I'm not sure whether any of those stripes would cause problems for a Roomba (and ours are both dead, so I can't test it ... sorry).

But here is an Amazon review the mentions that exact topic ... or if you don't want to click, I'll quote: "My roomba could not handle my area rug with dark patterns. It acted like a cat with a paper bag on its head. xv-11 has no issues with it."

chimpsnest

redfame wrote:I would be interested in hearing about this site you speak of.

I googled "roomba battery" earlier and happened across a website selling an actual battery pack that you put INTO the yellow plastic battery housing that comes w/the Roomba. Open the plastic housing, disconnect 3 wires (note order of color) remove batteries. Repeat in reverse, plop new batteries in, solder wires to contacts, close pack up.

Just googled again and found again:
http://www.all-battery.com/144v3800mahnimhbatterypackforirobotvacuumcleaner-roomba4905.aspx?zmam=55942680&zmas=1&zmac=1&zmap=11700&gclid=CJWYvdaj_a0CFYSK4AodgD9OrQ

Looks pretty easy DIY

yrguide

quality posts: 5 Private Messages yrguide

I have the same rug that's in this video. The rug is black for the most part...no issues:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPBD-eOMD-4

ibn4n

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ibn4n
bakerzdosen wrote:I wanna know how this compares to the XV-11 that they've been selling...

@bakerzdosen: The XV-11 and XV-12 are identical in terms of functionality. Only difference is color and where it is available.

There is also a XV-15 sold in the EU.

For the record, I've owned a XV-11 for well over a year. I've had problems with it, but Neato has been incredible in their customer support. Overall, its a fantastic machine.

jerry99

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jerry99

From some of the comments, it sounds like this XV-11/12 model has been out for well over a year. I'm just wondering if we're due for a new model release that will make this one seem obsolete and maybe even overpriced?

Anyone know if there's a new Neato product release on the way?

vladistov

quality posts: 51 Private Messages vladistov

So where do I insert Super Mario Bros.?

ibn4n

mebekili wrote:When someone comes up with one that after docking is raised up and dumps the dust bin into a larger container so that it can keep going without human intervention to deal with what's already been picked up -- that's the one I want to buy.

There is one that does that. Its the Karcher RC 3000 and RC 4000 (same machine, different color). It has a 1/2 gallon bin in its charging station that it dumps debris into.

It has a very dedicated following. But its quite expensive and does not have a scheduler.

ibn4n

jerry99 wrote:From some of the comments, it sounds like this XV-11/12 model has been out for well over a year. I'm just wondering if we're due for a new model release that will make this one seem obsolete and maybe even overpriced?

There already is (kinda) an updated model. Its the Kobold Vorwerk VR100. It has a side brush, is quieter, has a little more suction, etc. Based on the price tag on their website, its also twice as expensive as woot's price. I'm also not sure where they ship.

rkdasgud

quality posts: 5 Private Messages rkdasgud
woodcrafter22 wrote:Does it recognize open stairwells??Evidently doesn't have virtual walls as the Roomba does..

if it doesnt recognize open stairwells, im guessing it will make that mistake only once...=-)

ggrote

jerry99 wrote:From some of the comments, it sounds like this XV-11/12 model has been out for well over a year. I'm just wondering if we're due for a new model release that will make this one seem obsolete and maybe even overpriced?

I was wondering the same thing as I pondered buying a second unit ... maybe a new model is coming out and they're clearing out some inventory in advance ... but I haven't heard any announcements or rumors.

MacGarage

quality posts: 6 Private Messages MacGarage

I bought one of these during the Woot-Off a couple of months ago.

This thing works great!

We have four cats and a dog and live in a historical farmhouse with narrow halls and lots of rooms. I have this cleaning the entire first floor which is about 1000 square feet. I have hardwood floors with throw rugs everywhere…some are thick and others have fringe.

I am first amazed that this thing can find its way back through all of the tight spaces to its charging base. After it learned its way around, it has never gotten lost. Also, after a few tries, it was able to do the entire first floor in one charge.

As far as cleaning, it does a great job. With the pet hair, I still need run the big vacuum about once a month but this does a good job in keeping it under control. I am very impressed with its performance.

I did have to robot proof the house…tie up or hide the electrical cords and for the long carpet fringe, I needed to tuck it under the carpet. It will pick up cat toys! I was surprised that it jumps up on the thicker throw rugs without much problem.

I am close to getting another one for the upstairs but I need to find a place for it.

slippingaway83

quality posts: 0 Private Messages slippingaway83
chimpsnest wrote:I googled "roomba battery" earlier and happened across a website selling an actual battery pack that you put INTO the yellow plastic battery housing that comes w/the Roomba. Open the plastic housing, disconnect 3 wires (note order of color) remove batteries. Repeat in reverse, plop new batteries in, solder wires to contacts, close pack up.

Just googled again and found again:
http://www.all-battery.com/144v3800mahnimhbatterypackforirobotvacuumcleaner-roomba4905.aspx?zmam=55942680&zmas=1&zmac=1&zmap=11700&gclid=CJWYvdaj_a0CFYSK4AodgD9OrQ

Looks pretty easy DIY

I've gotten that battery pack to replace a battery for my brother, and it wasn't too bad. Make sure you order the triangle shaped screwdriver as well if you don't already have one. The tough part is breaking the cover of the battery pack loose once the screws are out, it is glued on. It took me a few minutes with a sharp chisel and a flat screwdriver. You also need to be able to solder, the pack comes with raw wire ends, you will need to unsolder the old leads from the battery pack clips, and solder the new ones on. All in all, it took me about 20 minutes from start to finish, and the batteries are better than the "official" Roomba batteries.

geekgirl171

quality posts: 1 Private Messages geekgirl171

I've been waiting waiting waiting for a Woot Roomba... but given all the great reviews I'm switching teams. So to speak. In for one!

eli2005

quality posts: 0 Private Messages eli2005

Was about to hit the button for the MIL but then Costco has these for $329 shipped, which is totally worth the extra $25 for the forever returnability.

glazedfaith

quality posts: 33 Private Messages glazedfaith
paradise wrote:In for one.

The Humans Are Dead!

Warning: PG-13 Language

Awesome. I hadn't heard that version. Not as clean as the HBO stuff, but much more entertaining.

roccochiv

quality posts: 6 Private Messages roccochiv

The Neato XV-11 green unit was out for a little over a year, however the new model the XV-12 white unit just came out October 2011 so only a few months...

see press release on engadget from neato and target

http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/11/neatos-xv-12-robot-vacuum-cleans-your-floors-dressed-in-white-f/

The XV-12 white unit is the newest and greatest model!

sbchandler

quality posts: 3 Private Messages sbchandler

About Pet Hair....

I have used Roombas for years now and we do have a few of them to handle 2 floors and multiple rooms.

What I'm going to say would not work with one unit only.

When we first got a Roomba it was overwhelmed by pet hair.

But the trick was to run it/them every night. They could handle a day's worth of hair but not a week's worth.

Doing this way has kept us basically dander free, in fact more so than if we vacuumed once a week.

Doing this way has keep us basicly dander free. In fact more so than if we vacuumed once a week.

tjsking

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tjsking

Just made my first purchase from WOOT !.........woot got my cherry !

boxoman

quality posts: 1 Private Messages boxoman
woodcrafter22 wrote:Does it recognize open stairwells??Evidently doesn't have virtual walls as the Roomba does..

It does have a magnetic strip you can put down that it detects, but it does detect stairwells so it should not fall down.

That being said, it did almost fall down my stairs once when it appeared very confused, but that has only happened once, the sensors might have been dirty.

ablickle

quality posts: 10 Private Messages ablickle

How does the laser do with bright sun light and glass balcony doors?

I saw a few comments on different sites that those could be problems. We live in Southern California with lots of windows and bright sunshine. Our balcony doors are glass to within an inch or two of the floor. Has anybody experienced any issues with these type of conditions?

ggrote

ablickle wrote:How does the laser do with bright sun light and glass balcony doors?

I saw a few comments on different sites that those could be problems. We live in Southern California with lots of windows and bright sunshine. Our balcony doors are glass to within an inch or two of the floor. Has anybody experienced any issues with these type of conditions?

We have a set of doors like you mention, and haven't had any issues, although most days the drapes are drawn. But it seems that the worst that will happen is that the XV-11/12 will see that as a doorway and try to pass through but will be "denied" by the glass.

My unit also can't see black stuff well ... we have black built-ins that are flush with the wall, and it sees them as openings and nudges them as it goes by ... but no harm, no foul, I guess ...

mwarrenus

quality posts: 17 Private Messages mwarrenus
chimpsnest wrote:Question - my cat is a freak for laser toys and flashlight beams .... will she be able to see the initial laser scan, or was that video strictly a night-vision thing?
Oh and for Uber Hacking Dorks like myself:
http://www.engadget.com/2010/11/29/neato-xv-11-robot-vacuum-gets-its-very-own-open-source-lidar-hac/

That video was strictly a night-vision thing. Cats can see farther into the UV than humans; they see well below 300nm whereas humans max out at 380nm. But on the other end of the spectrum where Neato plays, cats and humans both see red out to about 700nm and the Neato XV-11 User Guide puts their infrared laser at 785nm.

Oh, and for real hacking, check out:
http://random-workshop.blogspot.com/
http://xv11hacking.wikispaces.com/

Update from a post by Neato: "The [Room Positioning System] RPS in the Neato is a Class I certified device during all procedures of operation. A Class 1 laser is safe under all conditions of normal use. Both you and your pet are safe from the RPS.

The laser pointer you play with your cats with is a Class 2 device that depends on the blink reflex for eye safety."

mwarrenus

quality posts: 17 Private Messages mwarrenus
tomduff87 wrote:I am seriously considering buying one of these, but I'm worried about the noise in an apartment environment...have any other apartment-dwelling Wooters used a Neato, and are these things so loud as to warrant complaints from your neighbors? I suppose if I schedule it to run while I'm at work say around noon every day, people won't complain...

RobotShop's test of the Neato XV-11 max'd out at ~80dB while the Roomba 780 was much quieter at ~70dB. That puts the XV-11 right at a "normal" vacuum cleaner noise level, but well below the 90dB Dyson DC-12.

radi0j0hn

quality posts: 96 Private Messages radi0j0hn
Costner wrote: The Roomba just isn't smart... it just wanders around and hopes to get lucky.

Sounds like me when I was in my early 20's.

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

dilarasdad

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dilarasdad

I have something even better than this... and it even does windows. It's called a wife!

Bob's Woot Hoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Bob's Woot Hoot

What I want is something to climb up on the furniture and DUST!

jikkme

quality posts: 4 Private Messages jikkme
hdantman wrote:I bought one of these full price a month ago. I bought 3 of them today for my friends. What does that tell you?

It tells me I want to be your friend.

Edit: Well, I guess I should have known about 4 people already said the same thing.

fmcwoot

quality posts: 7 Private Messages fmcwoot
hdantman wrote:I bought one of these full price a month ago. I bought 3 of them today for my friends. What does that tell you?

It tells me you only have three friends...

Tarrana1

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Tarrana1

I have the XV 11. the XV12 that is shown here is the one they have in target, note the white color. They are identical with the exception of the color. I love my neato. I will say this, if you have any issues, do not hesitate to call neato support. They are extremely nice and know their product and stand behind it 100%. One thing you will have to do though, if they ever have to replace the robot, they will ask for a credit card number! This is to ensure that you send the old unit back or you end up buying the replacement. Not a big deal though as long as you send the old one back. They even give you a return shipping label so its no cost to you. they had to replace mine due to a bad bearing in the beater bar.

Tarrana1

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Tarrana1
sbchandler wrote:About Pet Hair....

I have used Roombas for years now and we do have a few of them to handle 2 floors and multiple rooms.

What I'm going to say would not work with one unit only.

When we first got a Roomba it was overwhelmed by pet hair.

But the trick was to run it/them every night. They could handle a day's worth of hair but not a week's worth.

Doing this way has kept us basically dander free, in fact more so than if we vacuumed once a week.

Doing this way has keep us basicly dander free. In fact more so than if we vacuumed once a week.

I have 2 roombas and a neato. I ran the roombas every single day. I run the neato every single day. The neato I have to clean the beater bar about 1 time a week. The roomba I had to clean after every cleaning. The hair just sticks to that bristle brush on the roomba and requires cleaning after every use. I have 2 sheltie mixs and 2 cats. Again, the neato brushes only need to be cleaned about once a week and even then, its usually just a few strands of hair wrapped around it. I do have to empty the dust bin every day but you have to do that with the roomba to. At least with the neato, I dont have to pick it up to get to the dust bin, I can lift it right out the top. For maintenance reasons, I put the neato on top by a huge margin over the roomba.

vic7767

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vic7767
redfame wrote:I would be interested in hearing about this site you speak of.

It may possibly be: http://www.robotreviews.com/chat/