4%
2%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

wootalyzer

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wootalyzer

Wootalyzer's Pricing Post! - The price of today's woot item is saved here for future reference
------------------------------------------------------------
Toshiba Thrive 10.1" 16GB Android Tablet with Wi-Fi
$279.99 + $5 Shipping
Condition: Refurbished

*DISCLAIMER* Wootalyzer! is in no way affiliated with Woot!, and this post may not always be here!

yellafelon

quality posts: 1 Private Messages yellafelon

Can this work with Slingbox? I want to watch the NBA when I'm away from home.

Mattroid

quality posts: 18 Private Messages Mattroid

How does this compare to the Touch Pad (w/CM) everyone was clamoring over?

jaamzw

quality posts: 5 Private Messages jaamzw
yellafelon wrote:Can this work with Slingbox? I want to watch the NBA when I'm away from home.

Yes, with a good data connection.

vrekk

quality posts: 2 Private Messages vrekk
yellafelon wrote:Can this work with Slingbox? I want to watch the NBA when I'm away from home.

Yes it will. http://www.slingbox.com/go/android-tablets

46fireu2

quality posts: 0 Private Messages 46fireu2

Let the year of the tablet continue...

hoodoogurus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hoodoogurus

It works, I have slingbox player on it and it works like a champ. 30$ on android marketplace.

novastarj

quality posts: 30 Private Messages novastarj

Yay another tablet! This particular 16GB model last popped up on Woot! on January 5th for the same price. Lots of useful posts in that thread.

For the sake of completeness, the 32GB version also popped up here most recently on January 14th for $320.

Shanebob

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Shanebob

In my experience, a 10.1" horizontal oriented tablet can be extremely difficult to type on. You either have to hold it in one hand and type with the other which becomes heavy, or hold it in both hands and have to stretch your thumbs to reach keys in the middle. I suggest checking the Android Market for customizable keyboards that allow for a gap in the middle. This can allow for much easier typing.

awgPablo

quality posts: 4 Private Messages awgPablo

Well... phooey. I'm still happy to have finally snagged a Touchpad last week, but this Thrive would be a great tablet. This would likely be a better purchase for the out-of-box experience, but I'm looking forward to playing with WebOS and doing some tablet hacking.

...I'm sure you're glad you read this. Another useless post in the bag. (You're welcome.)

My new signature... now absent of a link to my website. Oops.

chello22

quality posts: 1 Private Messages chello22

I bought the 32GB Thrive from Woot about a month ago and I absolutely love it, really a great buy! The full size SD slot has definitely already proved its' worth. The camera isn't as good as I would have hoped but Function > Fashion

leethompson

quality posts: 0 Private Messages leethompson

"Hiding behind something barely five inches long was getting me nowhere"

-Lee

Vault90

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Vault90

Maybe this one will be able to be upgraded out of the box, without having to spend an hour (or much longer) trying to do the USB thing. That was terrible.

cowboyesfan

quality posts: 10 Private Messages cowboyesfan
Mattroid wrote:How does this compare to the Touch Pad (w/CM) everyone was clamoring over?

I love my TouchPad.

WebOS is better than Android*.

*of course not the next version of Android that will really really be for tablets this time I swear

acassis

quality posts: 1 Private Messages acassis

got one of these last time woot offered it about a month ago. android software would not update, and i contacted toshiba tech support (worthless) who said a software update would be out to correct the problem in 1 week. now over 2 weeks later, and still no software update. sad.

hoodoogurus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hoodoogurus

Bought one of it early January, and the one I got had a defect (rear camera had problems). I had to return it to Woot and got a new one that seems to be working fine.

So far, it seems a great device. update to 3.2 went smoothly. If you are considering it, I might say to wait and get the 32Gb that shows up often (30$ more, I believe). But since it has SD support, I just put a 32 GB card on it and I am good.

sherlock712

quality posts: 2 Private Messages sherlock712

I got one of these the last time they were on Woot, and I'm very happy with it. There's great help at thriveforums.org. I'm taking this instead of a laptop on a vacation this weekend. Having recently tested a Xoom and an HTC Jetstream, I can say this is better than either. A bit bulkier, but given the extra features on the Thrive (and far lower price), the tradeoff is a win.

DonKudler

quality posts: 4 Private Messages DonKudler

I think I'm gonna wait till summer to see the next generation of Android Tablets to come out. In the meantime, I've got the HP from last week to play with.

puffin420

quality posts: 4 Private Messages puffin420

I'm on a Thrive right now. Absolutely love it. All kinds of ports, including regular USB, SD card. It's bulkier than others, but it is sturdy and well made. Cams are decent. I use it way more than I expected...it's just so easy.

Also have a Toshiba laptop that has had no problems in almost 4 years. I love well made products!!! Screw you, Apple.

DrjinG

quality posts: 10 Private Messages DrjinG

Great tablet at a great price! Wish I could find a solid use for one, but I just can't justify it.

chello22

quality posts: 1 Private Messages chello22
Shanebob wrote:In my experience, a 10.1" horizontal oriented tablet can be extremely difficult to type on. You either have to hold it in one hand and type with the other which becomes heavy, or hold it in both hands and have to stretch your thumbs to reach keys in the middle. I suggest checking the Android Market for customizable keyboards that allow for a gap in the middle. This can allow for much easier typing.

The screen auto rotates so it's no trouble at all and of course you can get the specialized keyboards from the market. When I'm at a desk or a table I prefer the the horizontal orientaiton; it makes typing much easier in my opinion.

grimshadows

quality posts: 1 Private Messages grimshadows

As much as I actually want a tablet, at this price, I'd rather go to a local store and pick up a NEW one for just $20 more... with a full year warrantee..

kjhobin

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kjhobin

I got this tablet last time it was on Woot! and I love it.

Also to note, it's easy to upgrade it 20 Android 3.2 from the built-in Toshiba "Service Station" app (Toshiba released the 3.2 update in November), but I would recommend just installing a different ROM to get rid of all the other Toshiba bloatware

maui

quality posts: 10 Private Messages maui

thajo310

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thajo310

Be warned, there is a 3 gb limit for apps regardless to the 16 gb storage

puffin420

quality posts: 4 Private Messages puffin420

As for the typing problem, it's not too bad. And, you can just hook in a regular keyboard in two shakes if you've got some serious typing to accomplish. Yay for ports!!!

poppap

quality posts: 2 Private Messages poppap

Should work with SlingBox
http://www.slingbox.com/go/android

fmcwoot

quality posts: 7 Private Messages fmcwoot
Mattroid wrote:How does this compare to the Touch Pad (w/CM) everyone was clamoring over?

If Toshiba had had a firesale on these last fall, this would be selling here on Woot for $169. So now it appears that Woot sale of the TouchPads were a steal.

ChicagoJack

quality posts: 3 Private Messages ChicagoJack

I got one Jan 5 and would not update because the
.0018 version of the thrive software is defective. Hope this bunch has a different software version.

Here's a link to fix the .0018 software
http://www.thriveforums.org/forum/toshiba-thrive-general-discussions/6678-woot-purchases.html

Followed the directions on the Thrive Forum and the Thive works fine now

protegeaa

quality posts: 0 Private Messages protegeaa

What are some good games for Android tablets? I saw a friend playing Final Fantasy III on his iPad 2 and it was awe inspiring.

Jeff

Yell0w

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Yell0w

this doesn't get honeycomb right?

Razer Protone m250 Street-Style Clip Earphones (3), Razer Copperhead 2000dpi Laser Gaming Mouse
(shirt.woot) USA 2145, Floating Squishy, The Creative Thought Process, Aaarrrgyle, Unfriendly Locals, BFF, RAAAARR!, Apathetic in the Face of Certain Annihilation, Dino Wino, Angry Day, Sleeping Problems, Please Don’t Feed The Whatever That Thing Is, Loves Me

Bobby69

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Bobby69

Bought this same tablet from Woot on 1/5/12. Love it! Use in preference to iPad v1 b/c handles most video and has a file manager. Has all the apps I use (except Grindr - which is now available for the Thrive, but always crashes).

Thumbo

quality posts: 15 Private Messages Thumbo
acassis wrote:got one of these last time woot offered it about a month ago. android software would not update, and i contacted toshiba tech support (worthless) who said a software update would be out to correct the problem in 1 week. now over 2 weeks later, and still no software update. sad.

Lots of people (including me) had this problem. It can be fixed with a bit of work as described in the Thrive forums.

After applying that, I love this device.

guswalken

quality posts: 0 Private Messages guswalken

This is like the third or maybe even fourth time I've seen these on woot! ??? I was on the fence a couple times when it came to the Thrive, but I'm glad I waited out for the 16gb Hp touchpad. It just showed up today and was over $100 bones cheaper than today's offering. I do like all of the Thrives connections and the fact that you can replace the battery if it goes. I also like being able to dual boot on the touchpad and how much fatter my wallet feels.

chiasson

quality posts: 1 Private Messages chiasson

I got mine on the early january WOOT as well and I absolutely love it! Typing this on it with Skype right now. I got one with the software bug where it wouldn't update, but there is an easy fix on the thrive forums. Also, hardware is amazing, very fast and the wi-fi is perfect.

Honestly, a great buy, you wont be sorry.

M0nkeySpanker

quality posts: 0 Private Messages M0nkeySpanker

Wakko Talks Faboo!! I bought this on the 19th of December and I still haven't seen it. Emailed WOOT twice and all they say is "sorry"(they did give my $5 for shipping back --WOO HOO). 1.5+ months for shipping is beyond stupid.

tom61

quality posts: 2 Private Messages tom61

This has a widescreen aspect ratio screen at a higher resolution, plus ports the touchpad lacks(USB, SD card, HDMI). Performance and most other things wise, they're pretty much neck and neck by my figuring.

If this was, say, $80 cheaper, I'd regret having ordered the 16GB Touchpad. This price is fairly average for a refurb Thrive.

jefftberg

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jefftberg

Don't sweat the 16 vs 32 GB. With the full size SD card slot you can add as much memory as you want.

The full size USB is great for using thumb drives and the full size HDMI makes displaying video on your HDTV a breeze.

rodan32

quality posts: 4 Private Messages rodan32

I'll give this one a +1. I've had my thrive for about 5 months now, and I really like it. It is a little thick, but I kind of like that; doesn't feel like it's going to slip out of my hands. It's almost impossible to drop with that nice textured back.

Another big plus for the potential lifespan of this thing is the removable battery. I wouldn't be surprised if my kids are playing with it in 10 years. It seems that tough. Plus I've always had a good experience with Toshiba hardware, whether it's laptops or PDAs (those were AWESOME) or even TVs.

It's a good deal.