Jason Toon

quality posts: 19 Private Messages Jason Toon

The 20th century was lousy with wars, dictatorships, unrest, and anxiety - but how about those books, huh? All that turmoil (plus mass literacy and ever-cheaper printing) made for a spectacular outpouring of literary expression, the depth and variety and power of which dwarfed all that had come before it. Can you identify these eight works published in the 1900's by these details taken from their first edition jackets?

Answers can be found by clicking here. Please post your guesses, speculations, or arguments below! But know this: the Trivial Eye is presented for public amusement and no prizes are offered other than that familiar feeling of aggravation that so much of your mind is occupied by useless trivia.

snooty2toes

quality posts: 4 Private Messages snooty2toes

guessing..
#1 the jungle-upton sinclair
#6 grape of wrath - some dude

#1 looks really familiar though not so much on the rest

Beetle Breakfast

snooty2toes

quality posts: 4 Private Messages snooty2toes

#4 is such a boring book! blech I have never been able to figure out what made that book such an american classic.

Beetle Breakfast

Firebert

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Firebert

Those are the same 2 I was able to pick out. We must be literary twins.

jasonelvis

quality posts: 3 Private Messages jasonelvis

#3 will be in theaters soon!
(not soon enough!)

craigthom

quality posts: 62 Private Messages craigthom

I knew #3, and I successfully guessed 1 and 4. I should have known 5, 6, and especially 8.

I have read 1, 3, 5, 6, and 8, but not with those covers.

My wrong guess for 8 was Sheep Look Up by John Brunner, but it's not really that close.

codex

quality posts: 9 Private Messages codex

My guesses, rot13'd for your nonspoilery enjoyment:

1. Gur Whatyr (Fvapynve)
2. Ab vqrn, fb V'z thrffvat Gur Oveqf (Qh Znhevre)
3. Bar bs gur Ybeq bs gur Evatf obbxf (Gbyxvra) - znlor Gur Uboovg
4. Gur Oryy Wne (Cyngu)
5. Gebcvp bs Pnapre (Zvyyre)
6. Bs Zvpr naq Zra (Fgrvaorpx)
7. Gur Pbybe Checyr (Jnyxre)
8. Qb Naqebvqf Qernz bs Ryrpgevp Furrc? (Qvpx)

Now to go check the answers and see how I did.
By the way, I think Gur Whatyr is gonna be my new DnD character name.

Edit: Missed #2 and #5. No bibliophile points for me. Gonna have to change my user name I guess.

My work here is done. Pedant-man, AWAAYYY!!!

larami5

quality posts: 0 Private Messages larami5

I only got 1 and 4. Oh, well. Thought #2 was One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest and #6 was Shane. Maybe only kids from Texas grow up reading Shane.

Also, Grapes of Wrath by "some dude"? Really? It's not like the internet isn't there to tell you it was John Steinbeck who wrote one of the most interesting stories about a turtle crossing a highway ever. That was what it was about, right?

lschedler

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lschedler

I got three of them, and one that I missed was actually the one I read the most - in fact, it was one of my faves.

Jason Toon

quality posts: 19 Private Messages Jason Toon
lschedler wrote:I got three of them, and one that I missed was actually the one I read the most - in fact, it was one of my faves.

Let me guess: #5? No way I would've gotten that one.

It's hard to say since I made the quiz, but I'm pretty sure I would've gotten 1, 3, 4, 6, and 7, and maybe 8.