I got 2 of the previous Zmodo 4ch systems a while back. I had 2 smaller sata hard drives laying around that I used. Works well. A few commnets...
- The motion detection has a 2 - 3.5 second lag from the time it detects motion and it records the motion. Having prem recording on/off, or, the quality of the records doesn't seem to effect this. So, 2-3.5 seconds of each motions recording will be lost. I noticed that I was getting motions of nothing (cars passing by). Then I tested by placing my hand in front of the camera and counting seconds with my fingers. 3 1/2 fingers is where most of the motion recordings started - and the start of the motion was NOT at the end of the previous NORMAL recording! This happends on both units, so I do not think it's faulty units. Using the perm recording and turning motion off gives me 24/7 recording. The status display says 9999 hours with a 320gig hard drive. Which is a little over a year! Can that be true? I havn't checked it lately to see if it's gone down.
- The cameras IR is actually very good. it will throw a spotlight though is it's too close. 1 Camera in a completly dark room 20x40 foot flooded the entire room with IR - it was amazing. I expect the IR was bounching off the walls and ceiling.
- I agree with a previous poster. You may want to get better cable. The outside cameras have a bit of fuzz and lines in them, and I needed to reduce the motion sensitivity. I would recomment laying all cables out and placing the cameras were you want them first before drilling and installing.
- The software included on the PC is actually quite good. However, viewing the recordings on the pc with them can be difficult.
- On my android phone, I'm using IP Cam Viewer Pro. I can view all 4 cameras live from within my network at home, or, away from home via 3G (at a lower refresh), or on Wifi. I can also view the other Zmodo unit's cameras at the other location.
- The cameras are not wide angle. For viewing entryways or front doors, one really wants a wider angle lens. I was slightly dissapointed that I couldn't see more, and have it on my list to look for wider angle cameras, or lens replacements.
I'm still trying to find if an update is availiable to flash the unit to fix the motion lag.
I'm not saying this unit will perform the same. Just letting you know how the 4ch units is working for me.
For the price it's still good. For most motion, missing 2-3 seconds of the begining of each motion shoudn't be a problem. Turn motion off, and perm recording on, and you won't miss anything.