WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Most people don't give much thought to the question of where all of Woot's daily deals come from. And why should they trouble their minds a-wondering? They just load up the site every morning and there's a new item, like magic. They probably think it's deal gnomes or something!

As it turns out, they're surprisingly close to the mark.

If you suffered no ill effects from this video, you may also have a strong enough stomach to tolerate other installments in our "How Woot Works" series!

How Woot Works: Our Product Photos
http://www.woot.com/blog/viewentry.aspx?id=19358

How Woot Works: Printing Our Shirts
http://www.woot.com/Blog/ViewEntry.aspx?Id=19919

How Woot Works: Building Our CES Booth
http://www.woot.com/Blog/ViewEntry.aspx?Id=20973

w00tgurl

quality posts: 26 Private Messages w00tgurl

i want a backpack shaped like a baseball cap. does the samples room change much? i mean, is it bare after the Barrels of Crud get shipped? i saw 2 huge monkeys on the shelf, are those gone?
if i worked there, i'd sneak into that room and swim in all the crappy stuff like Scrooge on Ducktales

Cat & Duck's Investigative Assistant
LONG LIVE WOOT CLUE 2012! r.i.p. you are miseed

matthew

quality posts: 20 Private Messages matthew

I'm under the impression that Woot-Offs basically empty that room. But maybe someone who knows better than I will pipe up about it.

Mainly, I'm in this thread to mourn comic-book titan Carl Barks's most famous creation being referred to as "Scrooge on Ducktales."

ertolsma

quality posts: 13 Private Messages ertolsma
matthew wrote:Mainly, I'm in this thread to mourn comic-book titan Carl Barks's most famous creation being referred to as "Scrooge on Ducktales."

Tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales, oo-oo!

olcubmaster

quality posts: 30 Private Messages olcubmaster
matthew wrote:I'm under the impression that Woot-Offs basically empty that room. But maybe someone who knows better than I will pipe up about it.

Mainly, I'm in this thread to mourn comic-book titan Carl Barks's most famous creation being referred to as "Scrooge on Ducktales."

And further, who can guess (without an internet search) what actor lent his voice to this Duck Tales character and what was his most (in)famous television role?

Sugar 'em up and send 'em home

codhead

quality posts: 0 Private Messages codhead

This looks like a big clubhouse. Do you allow gurlz in?

jgribb1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jgribb1

Yep looks like a fun place! Keep up the good buys in the run for the banana!

I want my Baby Back ribs!!!!!

w00tgurl

quality posts: 26 Private Messages w00tgurl
olcubmaster wrote:And further, who can guess (without an internet search) what actor lent his voice to this Duck Tales character and what was his most (in)famous television role?

i googled. Alan Young who played the owner of a world famous talking horse, Mr Ed

Cat & Duck's Investigative Assistant
LONG LIVE WOOT CLUE 2012! r.i.p. you are miseed

andrewhime

quality posts: 5 Private Messages andrewhime

What, something is still in Dallas?

If you enjoy my horrible posts here, you might enjoy my podcast at http://www.valuecube.com

wootyougot

quality posts: 5 Private Messages wootyougot

And after all these years I thought Barrels of Crud formed out of the tears of baby unicorns.

Such a let down to see the crap behind the curtain... or door and cheap aluminum storage units as the case may be.

matthew

wootyougot wrote:Such a let down to see the crap behind the curtain...

If I had to pick one term to describe the Barrels of Crud experience, "let-down" would be among my finalists.

ssherv

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ssherv

Why, why do you go and reveal such things as the mystery of Woot junk?????? I thought your deals all came from potions and ground up unicorn teeth mixed in with Tesla coils and Ipooods MP3 MP5 players!

Knowing is Sad!

SESteve

quality posts: 15 Private Messages SESteve

As a middle-aged white male I am glad to see that I am well-represented by the Woot buying staff.

jsoko

quality posts: 9 Private Messages jsoko

I love these videos! Keep them coming!

whatsamattaU

quality posts: 1069 Private Messages whatsamattaU

My guffaw was John using his elbows on that package. I've never done that, but I can see myself doing that,....

The sample closet doesn't have everything that goes in the woot bags, I think, but this now explains where these random items that never wooted come from to fill said bags.

matthew

whatsamattaU wrote:The sample closet doesn't have everything that goes in the woot bags, I think

That's right. Pretty much everything in that room goes out with the crapsacks, but not everything in the crapsacks comes from that room. The bags are supplemented with unsold inventory and other stuff we buy specifically to include in them, plus odds and ends the crapstaffers steal off their coworkers' desks.

panthiest

quality posts: 11 Private Messages panthiest

I want that job. Hire me jerks.

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
panthiest wrote:I want that job. Hire me jerks.

Don't forget the word please.

I'm just hanging out, really.

akakin

quality posts: 2 Private Messages akakin

OK, that explains how "stuff" gets into Woot, but what about the wine? Do the vendors have to send samples for the buyers to test? Do they select their candidates and go to the tasting room and have John personally review ALL the samples?

And once recovered, do these same product evaluators toss the "losers" into a "Case of Crap" (limit 3 cases)?

llandar

quality posts: 32 Private Messages llandar
akakin wrote:OK, that explains how "stuff" gets into Woot, but what about the wine? Do the vendors have to send samples for the buyers to test? Do they select their candidates and go to the tasting room and have John personally review ALL the samples?

And once recovered, do these same product evaluators toss the "losers" into a "Case of Crap" (limit 3 cases)?

Long, long ago in a long-dead era I like to call "The Happy Times," Woot St. Louis handled all the photo shoots for Wine.Woot products. As the photos were taken in one person's office, she would have to purge them periodically.

So once a month or so we'd all gather in the conference room, roll dice to see who went in what order, and take our turns picking through all the wine, corkscrews, lazy Susans, and whatnot, often snaking back through the order two or three times before we were done.

xoxoui

quality posts: 0 Private Messages xoxoui

Man, I wish we had a Cellar of Stabbing!!!

whatsamattaU

matthew wrote:That's right. Pretty much everything in that room goes out with the crapsacks, but not everything in the crapsacks comes from that room. The bags are supplemented with unsold inventory and other stuff we buy specifically to include in them, plus odds and ends the crapstaffers steal off their coworkers' desks.

They probably hire cats to steal off the desks:

or ants:

whatsamattaU

One other thing. Do you have a gif, t-shirt, or poster of the "Typical Woot employee"? I'd consider buying that. The "groan" label was the "Roombatism" pointing at the feet.