alan0123

quality posts: 11 Private Messages alan0123
rugerx wrote:I replied to ya!

http://www.woot.com/Forums/viewpost.aspx?PostID=4929561&PageIndex=4&ReplyCount=156#post4930142

OK thanks
I Now SEE it
I still BOUGHT it ANYWAY, Its A GREAT DEAL

BTW.... Rugerx are you STAFF ? Or Just a Helpful Person ??
I see you Are PRO when it comes to Answering alot of Questions here

rugerx

quality posts: 4 Private Messages rugerx
alan0123 wrote:OK thanks
I Now SEE it

Just on lunch and trying to be helpful, I have installed 5 or so of these for friends and family so I know them pretty well.

=)

dalematthew

quality posts: 23 Private Messages dalematthew
dalematthew wrote:Wondering what the cost of a suitable 1TB hard drive would be? Not sure I need 8 cameras like the one on Moffi.

Also - anyone who has one of these - what is the performance of the iphone app like. Specifically, does it connect immediately?

Thanks.

In for one. Thanks for all the input wooters - particularly Veedow and that review.

Still not sure whether the 8 camera would have been a better buy, but will see how this 4 camera works out.

alan0123

quality posts: 11 Private Messages alan0123
rugerx wrote:Just on lunch and trying to be helpful, I have installed 5 or so of these for friends and family so I know them pretty well.

=)

Nice
You Sound like a Technician.
....Myself (And Im Sure I speak for many others)
Very Much Appreciate your Comments.

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
alan0123 wrote:OK thanks
I Now SEE it

I see you Are PRO when it comes to Answering alot of Questions here

rugerx is very helpful and most appreciated

I'm just hanging out, really.

wlgiv

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wlgiv
mleejr wrote:I don't understand these systems for a house without suspended ceilings. How would you actually set up FOUR cameras? You'd have to fish all the cable because nothing is wireless in this kit. You'd have to buy extension cable for almost any modern house. You'd have to snake it all around and through walls and drill and plaster everywhere. You have to buy the hard drive. I'd rather spend a few more hundred and have a wireless. They had a wireless deal I snagged with one camera on 1saleaday a week or two ago for 30$.

I had wireless cameras on my first security system and they were just awful. The images were never clear and were prone to interference. Installing hard-wired *anything* in an existing structure is a pain, but well worth the efforts. I took the time to fish wires for my new (16 cam) setup and it is fantastic.

rugerx

For those wanting remote access but do not have a static IP at home.

You can goto no-ip.org and setup a free account that will let you register your WAN dhcp address to the service and update it to a DNS record.

This will allow you to obtain a name like:

imawooter.no-ip.org (just an example) that would be registered to your dhcp issued address.

Then you configure your port forwarding on the router and the DVR to use a certain port (this is the manual.) Then when you want to connect to your system remotely you wont have to remember the current ip, and can just use the URL your created on the site. Check it out, its really useful.

Also, ASee+ is a good Iphone/Ipad app and Aplayer is another that works, both on app store.

Both are free and will let you view upto 16 cams (if you have them.)

christopheratkins

quality posts: 0 Private Messages christopheratkins

I want to use these as baby monitors, for twins, so looking at two cribs. Would these be recommended for that kind of use? Thanks.

rugerx

christopheratkins wrote:I want to use these as baby monitors, for twins, so looking at two cribs. Would these be recommended for that kind of use? Thanks.

The only question I would have is about the infrared at night pointed at the children.

I do not know enough to say if this is dangerous etc.

I would not point it at my own kids all night every night.

Know what I mean ?

Aurus7

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Aurus7
jessiebyrd004 wrote:Can't find any reviews on this specific model, but check out Amazon. Zmodo systems get some quite good reviews on there, in general.

Beware the customer support. I have the 8 camera version of this system and have had it less than 1 year. 4 of the eight cameras have already failed and I have been waiting for more than 2 months for the replacements.

Also,
when you call in you must be prepared to wait for a minimum of 30 minutes. I will not buy Zmodo again. Fool me once.....

Don’t believe me? Call em… 1 866 551 6881 and press the option for tech support. (Don’t leave a message because they will never call you back.)

sshambaugh

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sshambaugh
rugerx wrote:The only question I would have is about the infrared at night pointed at the children.

Know what I mean ?

I think you're exposed to more invisible IR during a single day than these cameras would put out in a lifetime. It's completely safe. UV is the spectrum you need to be careful with.

rugerx

wlgiv wrote:These units are quite a bang for the buck. I have one and have been quite suprised by the ease of setup and quality of the images. It's a breeze to set up on a home network. I gave mine a fixed IP address on my network and can access the unit from any PC in the house. I can also remote in to any PC that has the client set up on it and view inside my house from anywhere in the world. I've yet to play with an iPhone connection but that will be my next step. In short - great quality unit and easy to setup.

Just remember your will have 2 ports, 9000 by default for PC remote and 18004 for mobile phone viewing. You will use the 18004 for your iPhone, the 9000 wont work.

As for the default port, once you have everything working, I suggest you change the 9000 to something else in the 9000-9999 range.

Its never a good idea to leave default port and passwords. =)

Aurus7

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Aurus7
rugerx wrote:The only question I would have is about the infrared at night pointed at the children.

Know what I mean ?

IR is not harmful. It is just a slightly higher wavelength of light. Would you point a flashlight at your kids? It is equally as harmful as a flashlight.

xSkoad

quality posts: 12 Private Messages xSkoad

I have been telling the wife I want to get security cameras for the house... soooo.. in for 1 before she see's what is on woot today and tells me not to even think about it! =D

sshambaugh

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sshambaugh
xSkoad wrote:I have been telling the wife I want to get security cameras for the house... soooo.. in for 1 before she see's what is on woot today and tells me not to even think about it! =D

LOL this is so my life...

rugerx

sshambaugh wrote:I think you're exposed to more invisible IR during a single day than these cameras would put out in a lifetime. It's completely safe. UV is the spectrum you need to be careful with.

Ahh yes, thanks UV was the one I was thinking to be dangerous.

rugerx

xSkoad wrote:I have been telling the wife I want to get security cameras for the house... soooo.. in for 1 before she see's what is on woot today and tells me not to even think about it! =D

LOL me too! Thats why I started having packages shipped to my work address, once I open it surely I cannot ship it back!

xSkoad

rugerx wrote:LOL me too! Thats why I started having packages shipped to my work address, once I open it surely I cannot ship it back!

Haha. Well I am currently finishing up school from home, and she works during the day. So I get the packages before she gets home. Dang women dont let us do nottin'!

:P

Also.. anyone know of any guides to help install these bad boys? Should I route around house in through a window or drill near roof? I am a nonhandyman.

rugerx

xSkoad wrote:Haha. Well I am currently finishing up school from home, and she works during the day. So I get the packages before she gets home. Dang women dont let us do nottin'!

:P

Also.. anyone know of any guides to help install these bad boys? Should I route around house in through a window or drill near roof? I am a nonhandyman.

If you have room in the attic, you can drill holes or go through soffit vents.

I used wire pole to pull mine through but if you are careful a broom handle with a bent nail on the end can be used to pull wires through if the roof becomes to low.

Check youtube there are some great vids on how to pull wire there.

xSkoad

rugerx wrote:If you have room in the attic, you can drill holes or go through soffit vents.

I used wire pole to pull mine through but if you are careful a broom handle with a bent nail on the end can be used to pull wires through if the roof becomes to low.

Check youtube there are some great vids on how to pull wire there.

Awesome tips. Thanks.

teknokill

quality posts: 2 Private Messages teknokill

Wouldn't I be able to have the video fed to my windows home server computer or any home computer? Has anyone had any success doing this?

rugerx

teknokill wrote:Wouldn't I be able to have the video fed to my windows home server computer or any home computer? Has anyone had any success doing this?

You can connect via the application that you can install on the server, or you can connect to the built in web server in the DVR, or you could connect the vga or BNC out directly to your PC via a tuner card.

thomasrichard

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thomasrichard

This system comes with 4 cameras, right? because the final order screen says :

1 Zmodo PKD-DK40107 4 Channel DVR with 4G/3G Mobile & Remote Control:

1 Zmodo Weatherproof Infrared Cameras with 30ft Night Vision, Motion Detection :

rugerx

thomasrichard wrote:This system comes with 4 cameras, right? because the final order screen says :

1 Zmodo PKD-DK40107 4 Channel DVR with 4G/3G Mobile & Remote Control:

1 Zmodo Weatherproof Infrared Cameras with 30ft Night Vision, Motion Detection :

zmodo gives each product a part #.
1 Zmodo Weatherproof Infrared Cameras

The s on the end of Cameras is the thing to look for, you are all set.

allhighruler

quality posts: 5 Private Messages allhighruler
rugerx wrote:Ahh yes, thanks UV was the one I was thinking to be dangerous.

Rugerx for staff ;)

macwall

quality posts: 0 Private Messages macwall

So you can actually eithernet this to your router ad view and record with Android software?

veedow

quality posts: 1 Private Messages veedow
dalematthew wrote:Wondering what the cost of a suitable 1TB hard drive would be? Not sure I need 8 cameras like the one on Moffi.

Also - anyone who has one of these - what is the performance of the iphone app like. Specifically, does it connect immediately?

Thanks.

The iPhone.app Asee (free) connects immediately. There is an Asee+ also, free that shows all 4 camera in a grid view, but it will not remember all 4 cameras once you load them into the program. The regular Asee.app will remember all 4 cameras and connect quickly. Once you hit the play button, you can switch to the other cameras, quickly by selecting the other cameras. This app worked best for my DVR, but I believe this woot offer is a little different (DVR) then the one I have. So, APlayer.app (free) should work fine. BTW, these iPhone.apps are video only, no audio.

billzman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages billzman

Anyone know the difference between this model and the one on Amazon Zmodo PKD-DK4216 Surveillance Camera Kit - Hard Drive Not Included
by Zmodo for $149.00...?
They only thing I can see if the DVR case looks like it has a metal face on it and the Woot version looks plastic.
Thanks..!

singletrackslayer

quality posts: 1 Private Messages singletrackslayer

If I need the cables to be longer, how do I go about doing so? How far can one run BNC cables?

rugerx

singletrackslayer wrote:If I need the cables to be longer, how do I go about doing so? How far can one run BNC cables?

http://www.woot.com/Forums/viewpost.aspx?PostID=4929561&PageIndex=4&ReplyCount=188#post4930155

check that

cjpowers

quality posts: 5 Private Messages cjpowers
CowboyDann wrote:I can't promise this is the same set but this guy says he paid about 200 dollars for his zmodo camera set. Unfortunately the video doesn't capture the hit and run that happened, but you can hear the audio and get a decent feel for the night vision. These fall into about the same price range so I'm thinking you'll get same quality.

Edit: Of course if this was an episode of CSI all you would need to do is zoom in and the plate magically appear and be easy to read. (What am I trying to say? Keep your expectations realistic and you'll be Okay with this set)

Nevermind all that - check out the cool silohette of the spider in its web!

singletrackslayer

quality posts: 1 Private Messages singletrackslayer
rugerx wrote:http://www.woot.com/Forums/viewpost.aspx?PostID=4929561&PageIndex=4&ReplyCount=188#post4930155

check that

Oh, that's awesome. Thanks for your help.

mirathi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mirathi
camoman214 wrote:What's the image/camera quality like? Anyone used this model before?

I bought the Night Owl, with HDD, from New Egg last year for $129 shipped. Have nad NO problems other than the night vision is crap, without external lighting.

I'm overall very impressed and purchased this to compliment my already installed Night Owl system.

umpopa

quality posts: 1 Private Messages umpopa

I'm trying to find a way to run the wiring to/from the camera outdoors. Please help me to find out how to attach the camera pedestal and and the wiring to Hardiplank without damaging the Hardiplank. What kind of fasteners would you suggest?

Thanks for your assistance.

rugerx

umpopa wrote:I'm trying to find a way to run the wiring to/from the camera outdoors. Please help me to find out how to attach the camera pedestal and and the wiring to Hardiplank without damaging the Hardiplank. What kind of fasteners would you suggest?

Thanks for your assistance.

You just have to bite the bullet and screw them into the hardiplank. You can always caulk and paint later if you sell etc.

umpopa

quality posts: 1 Private Messages umpopa
rugerx wrote:You just have to bite the bullet and screw them into the hardiplank. You can always caulk and paint later if you sell etc.

Thanks very much for your reply!

Just pilot holes and anchors for the screws for the camera mount? What would you suggest as fasteners for the wire run itself?

rugerx

umpopa wrote:Thanks very much for your reply!

Just pilot holes and anchors for the screws for the camera mount? What would you suggest as fasteners for the wire run itself?

I actually just used 1 inch dry wall screws with wider threads, had to muscle them in on the hardiboard, but they are definitely not going anywhere for a while.

icecream4zombies

quality posts: 0 Private Messages icecream4zombies
Aurus7 wrote:Beware the customer support. I have the 8 camera version of this system and have had it less than 1 year. 4 of the eight cameras have already failed and I have been waiting for more than 2 months for the replacements.

Also,
when you call in you must be prepared to wait for a minimum of 30 minutes. I will not buy Zmodo again. Fool me once.....

Don’t believe me? Call em… 1 866 551 6881 and press the option for tech support. (Don’t leave a message because they will never call you back.)

If you avoid calling in during normal lunch hours, I've found that the wait time is much shorter.

rugerx

I have been told that installing a camera system can help deter thugs like these from casing your house. Thats important IMO.

thomasrichard

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thomasrichard
rugerx wrote:zmodo gives each product a part #.
1 Zmodo Weatherproof Infrared Cameras

The s on the end of Cameras is the thing to look for, you are all set.

Thanks, you are the only one that answered the question in an educated mature way. I guess the others that responded are the type that do not read and comprehend, they are usually the ones that get burned and pissed off when they do not receive what they think they ordered and paid for.